• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/21 - 5/27

Diablos54

Hot Shots Golf Course, Vol. 1 - 2k

:lol :lol :lol :lol Oh god... I can't wait for Sigma to bomb now, since it'll help Trusty Bell force the streams to pass. :D Decent number for WiiE4 as well.

reminder

Afaik Hot Shots Golf Course, Vol. 1 is the same game than the already released HSG for PSP, just with GPS support, right? I don't know why people expect it to sell thousands of units, when you can have the cheaper standard version.

And Diablos54, what does this game have to do with Sigma or the PS3 at all? It's a PSP game, not HSG5.

psy18

neo2046 said:
:lol :lol
the banner says:

"since there are no new PS3 games this week
so (we are) playing the latest DLC of Idol Master's video
buy the hardware (XB360) and software, please go to 3/F! -skip- "

IT'S A TRAP!

tanod

when is my burrito
9000+ PS3s sold.

Backwards compatibility upscaling and PSP remote play over the Internet?

I could see some Japanese enjoying that since they seem to love their portables and probably have a bunch of PS1 and PS2 games.

test_account

XP-39C²
FlightOfHeaven said:
I doubt it. Who'd buy a PS3 specifically for BC? Stick with your still somewhat viable PS2.

Maybe not specifically for BC, but i belive its a huge buying argument for alot of people. I saw quite alot of bitching about the BC compability with problems like jaggies, games looking worse on PS3 etc. (some of this is fixed now tho) and when the Emotion Engine was removed from the PAL systems. If it didnt matter to people i dont see why they would complain about it.

tanod said:
9000+ PS3s sold.

Backwards compatibility upscaling and PSP remote play over the Internet?

I could see some Japanese enjoying that since they seem to love their portables and probably have a bunch of PS1 and PS2 games.

Almost everything increased. Just a faster sales week.

test_account said:
Maybe not specifically for BC, but i belive its a huge buying argument for alot of people. I saw quite alot of bitching about the BC compability with problems like jaggies, games looking worse on PS3 etc. (some of this is fixed now tho) and when the Emotion Engine was removed from the PAL systems. If it didnt matter to people i dont see why they would complain about it.

Well, the number of people who think it's a big deal is still small, so I'm not sure why we're even talking about it. It's statistical noise. What caused the Wii's jump this week as well? Or the 360's 18 unit bump? This is all really silly.

tanod

when is my burrito
FlightOfHeaven said:
I doubt it. Who'd buy a PS3 specifically for BC? Stick with your still somewhat viable PS2.

Few people buy a console for specifically any one thing (I never said they did), but there are still people buying PS2s in Japan so with the graphical improvements that were made on those games, it makes sense that some would decide to get a PS3 instead of a PS2.

mabuza

Banned
Diablos54 said:
Hot Shots Golf Course, Vol. 1 - 2k

:lol :lol :lol :lol Oh god... I can't wait for Sigma to bomb now, since it'll help Trusty Bell force the streams to pass. :D Decent number for WiiE4 as well.
wow, fanboyism at its worst and what has this game got to with sigma's sales?

mabuza

Banned
i have to say i was expecting resident evil 4 to sell a bit better, at least start off in the 100,000 range, 30000 seems kinda low. it will probably end the week in about 50000

So I should have the requested software percentage / hardware LTD chart shortly; it's a mess to view it all, so I'm tinkering with the best ways to display it.

Square2005 said:
GB+GBP = 20.61m shipped
GBC = 11.86m shipped (Famitsu has 5.8m sold btw)
That low, huh? Trying to estimate using Famitsu's sold for GBC I thought original GB must be around 25 million, but they really can be radically off. I guess DS will pass GB and PS2 about the same time.
imastalker co. said:
does anybody have that picture of bill gates with an xbox controller in one hand, and a cheeseburger in the other?
Have it? I still have the shitty edits I made from it!
46606e995325d.jpg

46606dcabef8c.jpg

46606e4b7ddb9.jpg

BrodiemanTTR said:
Just thought I'd chime in with a humorous little anecdote I think GAF will appreciate. In the back of The Videogame Style Guide, a well-intentioned attempt to standardize gaming jargon that includes a wonderfully hypocritical foreword by Dan Hsu, there's a section including up-to-date sales numbers for most major consoles in existence. Their source for numbers for the current systems? VGChartzzzzzzz.

He's in the system.
4660640d696c1.gif

Link

The Autumn Wind
mabuza said:
i have to say i was expecting resident evil 4 to sell a bit better, at least start off in the 100,000 range, 30000 seems kinda low. it will probably end the week in about 50000
The game's been released twice already. If anything is going to help it sell, it's going to be good word-of-mouth about the controls. We'll probably have to wait until next week's sales to see if that has any effect on its legs.

Terrell

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Anyway, first day sales from sinobi as usual...

Miru Chikara o Jissen de Kitaeru: DS Ganryoku (Medikara) Training - 30k
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core - almost 30k
Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition - almost 30k
Almost 30K for RE4 Wii-make on its first day? Not bad, actually, but final numbers will probably be very dependant on what shipments were like and what kind of demand there is. Definitely looking forward to seeing final numbers.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Wow, I knew Izzy said not to expect much of the new MnG but I still went wow. Way to **** up one of PSP's best sellers Sony.

mabuza

Banned
jj984jj said:
Wow, I knew Izzy said not to expect much of the new MnG but I still went wow. Way to **** up one of PSP's best sellers Sony.
for the last ****ing time. its not a new game. its the old mng with just gps attached to it.

Diablos54

reminder said:
And Diablos54, what does this game have to do with Sigma or the PS3 at all? It's a PSP game, not HSG5.
Bleh, got confused bewteen the two. :lol All these golf games look the same to me.

JoshuaJSlone said:

:lol Man, MS marketing owned by unintentional humor.

"You met in a strange place, didn't you?"

珍しい【めずらしい】(adj) unusual; rare; (P)
所【ところ】(n) (1) place; spot; scene; site; ...
で (prt) (1) indicates location of action; at; in; ...
お (pref) (uk) honourable; honorable
会う【あう】(v5u,vi) to meet; ...
する (vs-i) (uk) to do; ...
ね (prt) (1) (sentence end) indicates emphasis, agreement, request for confirmation, etc.; is it so; (int) ...

Brak

BrodiemanTTR said:
Just thought I'd chime in with a humorous little anecdote I think GAF will appreciate. In the back of The Videogame Style Guide, a well-intentioned attempt to standardize gaming jargon that includes a wonderfully hypocritical foreword by Dan Hsu, there's a section including up-to-date sales numbers for most major consoles in existence. Their source for numbers for the current systems? VGChartzzzzzzz.

He's in the system.
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Come on Hsu, it's pretty obvious the site is bunk....

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
mabuza said:
for the last ****ing time. its not a new game. its the old mng with just gps attached to it.
Even then, 2k? That's just horrid, rerelease or not.

mabuza said:
What? :lol

So what I did was take Famitsu's weekly percentage amount and divide it by Famitsu's LTD for the hardware. This tells how much of that 100% the average individual console of each type is responsible for. Then I multiplied it by a billion (1,000,000,000) just so it would be easier to wrap our heads around than using scientific notation.

Remember that since these are derived from percentages rather than actual sales, a line going down doesn't necessarily mean sales went down. Really the most useful thing you can get from these graphs is to see that owners of system X were particularly active on week Y, or that owners of system B generally purchase more than owners of system C.

First, here's consoles (PS2/X360/PS3/Wii) since PS3 launch. So the graph wouldn't stretch vertically forever and I wouldn't need to use a logarithmic scale, I've left off PS3 and Wii's first week. As you might expect, with early adopters getting games and hardware limited, they make some pretty large numbers. PS3's launch week: 1085, Wii's launch week: 793.
20070601pieratioconsole.png

Looks like PS3 and X360's owners are reasonably similarly active, with Wii generally ahead. Gundabump certainly sticks out. PS2 is definitely on the slow, but it seems it's even beat PS3 twice.

Next, portables from the beginning of 2005 to present.
20070601pieratioportable.png

Unsurprisingly, GBA was low for the last few years and PSP owners generally haven't been as frequent buyers as DS owners, a few exceptions like Monster Hunter 2 (Monstabump?) aside.

I didn't really set this up as a long-term project; it's a bit slapped together and there are some corners cut for simplicity. But if you've got any requests now for different comparisons for more specific periods of time, ask away.

skinnyrattler said:
Not going after you but I hate that phrasing. Why not just say, '...does not make a trend.'?
On the other hand, why say that?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Excellent work JJ. Confusing on how exactly you got there (the assumption is that this is based on software for each console?) but the point I think is clear.

PantherLotus said:
Excellent work JJ. Confusing on how exactly you got there (the assumption is that this is based on software for each console?) but the point I think is clear.
I've previously compiled the data from the software pie charts Famitsu releases, like this:
h-121_72611_070615soft.jpg.jpg

If we know DS accounted for 52.8% of the software that week, and that according to Famitsu DS+DSL has sold 19,852,258 units, then 52.8% / 19,852,258 = the average DS accounted for 2.66 x 10^-6 % of the total 100%. On the other hand PSP has 8.1% of the total and 5,401,573 units sold, so each PSP accounts for 1.50 x 10^-6 % of the total 100%. Thus we can tell that more software was sold for the average DS than the average PSP that week. It's not as good as actually having total software sales, but it's what we have to work with.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
My God, I dont know how to figure out these charts anymore. I mean, what happened to the good old days of raw sales graphs? Now we get inverse parabolic graphs of the 6th degree rate of change of the trends, which we then have to multiply by a billion and turn upside-down.

Slurpy said:
My God, I dont know how to figure out these charts anymore. I mean, what happened to the good old days of raw sales graphs? Now we get inverse parabolic graphs of the 6th degree rate of change of the trends, which we then have to multiply by a billion and turn upside-down.
One of these days someone is going to come along with a graph the masses can understand and disrupt us out of business.

Slurpy said:

Don't forget to transform the data and display it in the time-frequency domain :lol

nli10

JoshuaJSlone said:
One of these days someone is going to come along with a graph the masses can understand and disrupt us out of business.

If I got all the data off all the various sites and stayed overtime at work where I actually have decent analytical software (Excel, SPSS, MultiMap and other fantastic things) I could work wonders. At home I have AppleWorks and lots of games, the games tend to win.

yes, people actually pay me to make pretty graphs - fools :lol

The problem is if you make simplified analyses that people unfamiliar with the data can understand they tend to be less accurate and if you make complicated things no ordinary mortals know how to interprete it and more importantly how to congratulate you when you got it bang on. :D

Complete hack job on the hardware analysis

Code:
		Last Wk This Wk	Percent
NDS		111239	127542	114.65%
Wii		52193	58644	112.35%
PSP		27505	26097	94.88%
PS2		10881	11311	103.95%
PS3		8659	9627	111.17%
X360		2026	2044	100.88%
GBA		791	712	90.01%
NGC		276	256	92.75%
Total Market	213570	236233	110.61%

Hardware market recovered 10.61% from last week's post GW dip, mainly due to the DS which is driving sales.. PS3 outperformed the market this week by the slimmest of margins, likely due to the BluRay deals as people have mentioned. PSP is only dropping because of the previous artificial inflation due to a crop of good titles, expect that to stabalise next week.

If I don't go away for the weekend maybe i'll see if I can line up the MC DS hardware data (cheers JJ!) and check for similarities to the Mario Sales which I compiled the other night (see first page of thread).

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Deku said:
You mean your back-up copy?
There is not one person on this board that legitimately uses PSP hacked firmware or PC emulators to play "back-up copies" of games they already own. Stop trying to encourage further BSing. :lol

Deku

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
There is not one person on this board that legitimately uses PSP hacked firmware or PC emulators to play "back-up copies" of games they already own. Stop trying to encourage further BSing. :lol

I prefer to see it as talking around the legalities of piracy.

GaimeGuy said:

Not true. I play Zelda II on emulator because my cartridge will erase its saves every week or so.

The other games? Well...

GaimeGuy said:

A ****ing lie. I rip my own PS1 games for the thing all the damn time.

Top Bottom