• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/21 - 5/27

Sharp

meppi said:
Thanks for categorising me into a tiny box so you can try to understand where I'm coming from and what my supposed agenda is. :-/

And Blue Dragon doesn't mean anything to me. Looks like a run-off-the-mill RPG. Nothing special. (Again IMO)
Sakaguchi!

MattXG

Banned
Days like these... said:
Yeah Blue Dragon and all the exclusive rpgs on the way are totally the wrong type of games for the market.

Honestly that excuse doesnt hold water this gen and its tired. The japanophiles always trot it out as their first line of defense everytime someone dares mention racism
Certainly, by the end of this year, that excuse will be dead.....

DMC4, AC6, EDF, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Trusty Bell, RR6, Forza 2, Katamari, Lumines, GTA4, Virtua Fighter 5, Culdcept....

X360 bumped cause of Blue Dragon, then were all returned when nothing else was released. High sales dont happen because of one or two games but a steady stream of releases.

Does anyone here know of Nintendo's next Training game after this eye thing?

Sharp said:
These threads get worse every weak. There is an OT section you know guys!

Huh? I'm trying to understand how are discussions seeking the underlying reasons something does not sell (as it should have) in a sales thread OT?

What else should we talk about? It gets kind of boring just to say "WOW @ DS!" every week gottah find something to talk about

MattXG said:
Certainly, by the end of this year, that excuse will be dead.....

DMC4, AC6, EDF, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Trusty Bell, RR6, Forza 2, Katamari, Lumines, GTA4, Virtua Fighter 5, Culdcept....

Anything new here or all rehashed sequels? I see three. Big deal.

Sharp

Smiles and Cries said:
Does anyone here know of Nintendo's next Training game after this eye thing?

Huh? I'm trying to understand how are discussions seeking the underlying reasons something does not sell (as it should have) in a sales thread OT?

What else should we talk about? It gets kind of boring just to say "WOW @ DS!" every week gottah find something to talk about
Prolonged discussions of racism, however, are silly.

birdchili

if you're a jrpg fan, buying a 360 now still requires a certain amount of faith in microsoft's ability/will to continue to pursue this market in the face of current sales in japan.

just because the 360 is the current next gen jrpg champ doesn't necessarily make it a good investment for jrpg fans (barring folk who are likely to end up with three consoles anyway, of course).

MattXG

Banned
GreenNight said:
X360 bumped cause of Blue Dragon, then were all returned when nothing else was released. High sales dont happen because of one or two games but a steady stream of releases.
More is coming....and coming relatively soon.

Culdcept Concept before Blue Dragon.

There was EDF just after Blue Dragon.

Forza a week ago.

Trusty Bell next week.

Lost Odyssey , DMC4, Virtua Fighter 5, and Katamari all before the end of the year.

That is certainly light years ahead of the lackluster games out on Wii and the non-exsistant line-up of Japanese games that are on PS3 and yet 360 continues to sell below both of those...

nice sales for RE4 so far. hopefully it doesn't just fall off the charts tomorrow.

it's great to see a proper hardcore mature game selling on the system... because the system lends itself well to those games and it'd be a shame for it to just have casual titles E and T rated titles..

meppi

MattXG said:
That is certainly light years ahead of the lackluster games out on Wii and the non-exsistant line-up of Japanese games that are on PS3 and yet 360 continues to sell below both of those...
But those are either PS3 games as well or lackluster games (mostly). And Forza won't do anything.

They need much much more to turn the tide and change the perspective of the game buying public.

Threi

notag
MattXG said:

Maybe you should put all this energy into trying to get people to buy 360's in Japan...because MS sure as hell isn't...

sphinx

the piano man
farnham said:
Hardware

DS 120k
Wii 70k
PSP 25k
PS2, PS3, 360 ... calm as last week

where are these from?

I for one think wii at 70-60k is beyond decent. It's pretty good. Not "DS" spectacularly good but very good.

ethelred

MattXG said:
Culdcept Concept before Blue Dragon.

How many copies did the last Culdcept sell? Not many, I'd wager.

MattXG said:
There was EDF just after Blue Dragon.

And how many copies do the Simple series games sell on other consoles?

MattXG said:
Forza a week ago.

And that's a Japanese-tailored game?

MattXG said:
Trusty Bell next week.

Uh huh... and you know that tri-Crescendo's last game sold 20k total, right? Was that because the Japanese people were racist against the GameCube?

There are a bunch of games that appeal to you. Congrats, the 360 has a nice lineup for certain types of hardcore gamers. Attributing to racism the failure to move hardware of the games you highlighted, however, requires that you first establish these games would have sold more on other consoles. And that has not been done, so your claims are pretty baseless. Unfortunately, you're pointing out a bunch of niche, hardcore games that have (in earlier series iterations or in comparable games) performed poorly in other situations, on other consoles.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
farnham said:
Hardware
Wii 70k
Wii Sports still driving crazy sales.

Wii Music
Wii Health
Smash Bros
Mario Galaxy

What will happen with wii sales when these are launched?

Diablos54

marc^o^ said:
Wii Sports still driving crazy sales.

Wii Music
Wii Health
Smash Bros
Mario Galaxy

What will happen with wii sales when these are launched?
Nothing. :p It's all about the stock at the moment.

The 360 is failing because of racism.

The PS3 is failing because...Nintendo is more Japanese than Sony.

The iPod isn't failing because...there are no Japanese Mp3 players.

This is logic.

**NO, WAIT!**

It's the size! Remember, Japanese people don't like large consoles! They like them small, and flat (no cubes).

C.T.

Japan (still) hates America because 360 isn't selling? wow, thats grotesque. Ever heard of brand recognation, marketing, hardware durability, backward compatiblity? Even japanese 360 developer say microsofts japanese marketing sucks balls. If I'm not mistaken 360 games still sell better than ps3 games, with a 1/3 of it userbase.
Sony knows how to do marketing in japan and ps3 sells still are lacking. Ps3 basically sells on backwardcompatiblity, its brand and blu-ray alone. sure 360 has a far better gameslibrary, but most of them don't appeal to japanese. The situation with xbox 1 was a disaster; delayed releases, no localisation, scratched cds...

CorwinB

Leondexter said:
**NO, WAIT!**

It's the size! Remember, Japanese people don't like large consoles! They like them small, and flat (no cubes).

PS3 sales tend to give weight to that theory, though.

farnham

Banned
PS3 and 360 (in Japan) problem
1. expensive machines
2. software support
3. bad image (otaku image to public, Sony as bad evil empire that sets the bar to entry way to high, Microsoft as the Gaijin company that knows nothing about the japanese market and keeps spending money until they win within the industry)

N64, GC problem

1. bad image (kiddie image to public, Nintendo as the bad evil empire that tortures the poor thirdparties within the industry..)
2. software support

so yeah

CorwinB said:
PS3 sales tend to give weight to that theory, though.

rimshot.gif

MattXG said:
Forza is a better Gran Turismo with a paint editor.

How can they not go crazy over that? Have you seen the Hello Kitty cars?

The system it's on. It essentially costs Whatever the 360 costs plus the price of the game. Certainly not worth the price of admission.

MattXG

Banned
farnham said:
PS3 and 360 (in Japan) problem
1. expensive machines
2. software support
3. bad image (otaku image to public, Sony as bad evil empire that sets the bar to entry way to high, Microsoft as the Gaijin company that knows nothing about the japanese market and keeps spending money until they win within the industry)
1)Blue Dragon Bundles (360 + Game) were going for $250 in Japan. That's basically as cheap as a Wii isn't it?
2) WHAT software support does Wii have? Or PS3, a more expensive console, to allow it to sell better week after week?
3) Exactly. Racist.

MattXG said:
1)Blue Dragon Bundles (360 + Game) were going for $250 in Japan. That's basically as cheap as a Wii isn't it?

Not if you see it as a USD 250 game (which a lot of Japanese buyers would've).

2) WHAT software support does Wii have? Or PS3, a more expensive console, to allow it to sell better week after week?

The, um, biggest games developer in Japan is developing exclusively for the Wii. Well, and the DS, but that's not part of equation.

3) Exactly. Racist.

Because the PS3 is performing spectacularly there, yes?

MattXG said:
3) Exactly. Racist.

Let me see if I can explain this to you.

The XBOX 360 has a small handful of games that can be presented to the Japanese public. Now, even an uninformed Japanese gamer will know that games that are catered to them will be few and far between on this system.

Meanwhile, The Wii debuts. Now it is a system that not only had a game that everybody wanted out of the gate, but it also appeals more to the Japanese, by way of form factor, philosophy of the company, and precedent. Why would they abandon this system for the 360?

Microsoft had to prove that they had the titles that the Japanese wanted. They had an entire year, and the best they could come up with was Blue Dragon. One game. Take that in for a minute.

Jokeropia

MattXG said:
That is certainly light years ahead of the lackluster games out on Wii
So because you consider 360's lineup better than Wiis then the Japanese public must also agree lest they're racists?

Guess what? Wii is outselling 360 in USA as well. I guess Americans are also racist against American systems.

MattXG

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Because the PS3 is performing spectacularly there, yes?
Better than 360 and its more expensive....wonder why?

After all, its already doubled or more what 360 has sold in a year and a half in just half a year....

With virtually no Japanese games.

MattXG said:

After all, its already doubled or more what 360 has sold in a year and a half in just half a year....

matt, can we at least change the cries of 'racism' to 'patriotism'?

i had no idea it was a bad thing to support home based companies over foreign ones.

MattXG said:

There are two primary reasons why the PS3 is performing better than the X360. (If you'd read the thread you'd have seen me saying this already.)

However, in order to let you understand, allow me to summarize:

1st Reason: The PS2

2nd Reason: The XBox

There.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
ziran said:
Famitsu Top 10 May 28 - June 3
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2007/06/06/103,1181130337,72961,0,0.html

1. Practice by Observing: DS Observation Training (DS)
2. Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (Wii)
3. Guilty Gear XX (PS2)
4. Ouendan 2 (DS)
5. Wii Sports (Wii)
6. More English Training (DS)
7. New Super Mario Bros.(DS)
8. More Brain Training (DS)
9. Wii Play (Wii)
10. Mario Kart (DS)
What an amazing legs this game has, incredible.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
seriously, thinking this is racism is just stupid... or uneducated... I don't know which.

Threi

notag
MattXG said:

The way you are talking it would seem that the PS3 was selling like hotcakes and the 360 was stagnant. None of them are selling particularly well, especially compared to the DS. This "racism" bullshit is just that - bullshit. Japanese people are not pre-programmed robots that will just go out and invest in an unknown system just because there are a couple Japanese games on it. Please, PLEASE stop with this ignorant "racism" crap. You are really making yourself look stupid.

Top Bottom