• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 6/11 - 6/17

cvxfreak

Barf_the_Mog said:
Same here. I'm majoring in Cartography (I just finished my undergrad in Geography a month ago) and in History. May I ask which historical era you enjoy the most?

Congrats, good luck to you in your studies. I myself hope to head into a graduate school sometime. :)

I really enjoy first half 20th century 'great power' history the most, so mostly western European, American and Japanese history and how they dealt with the world around them through imperialism, war, etc. So topics such as World War I and II I find very interesting, not so much the Cold War though. I also am fascinated by the effect of foreign cultures on Japan on the linguistic, cultural and especially political level.

I do enjoy breadth though and really loved my French Revolution class last spring. :)

Mardak

The red Wii line approaches the green 360 and blue PS3 lines.

20070611.png

20070611.pub.png

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
JoshuaJSlone said:
Wii comparisons: At 29 weeks, Wii is where GCN was at 118.2 weeks (December 15, 2003), where DS was at 35.1 weeks (July 31, 2005), where PS2 was at 29.3 weeks (September 19, 2000), and where PSP was at 56.4 weeks (January 3, 2006).

Yes, this week Wii surpassed PS2 in that count. Two caveats, though. As always, with a Media Create Wii number and a PS2 Famitsu number, it's a bit apples-to-oranges. More problematic is that Sony sold a few hundred thousand PS2 online early on, which Famitsu number doesn't account for. So while it might look big for Wii by that count, in reality it's got a bit to go until it really catches up to PS2... and it will be hard to recognize that time when it comes.

PS3 comparisons: At 32 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 3.6 weeks, where PSP was at 12.1 weeks, where GCN was at 16.0 weeks, and where PSP was at 5.1 weeks.

You may notice that this week PS3 hits 16.0 weeks in the GCN comparison, which is a bit of a big deal since it was at decimals of 15 for the previous 12 weeks. Well, really it is this week still, but 15.99 rounds up.

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares 12.6 / 87.4, bringing total shares to 25.4 / 74.7. At these rates, just 1-2 weeks away from a lifetime 25/75 split. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 190.5 weeks (February 9, 2011).

PS2 vs DS: At this week's rates DS and PS2 meet up in 27.1 weeks (December 23, 2007) at 20.54 million units apiece. Almost exactly the same result as last week, since DS/PS2 numbers changed so little.
Typo? The second one is the Wii I assume?

Vinnk

The Vinnk's village report might have to go up tomorrow. I have the numbers but I havn't had the time to write it up.

justchris

What do people predict for 360 numbers next week? I figure they'll hover around ~4000, which will still be ~1500 more than they've had the past few weeks. I feel since 360's sales increased much more than PS3's this week, the bump will probably last longer.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
justchris said:
What do people predict for 360 numbers next week? I figure they'll hover around ~4000, which will still be ~1500 more than they've had the past few weeks. I feel since 360's sales increased much more than PS3's this week, the bump will probably last longer.

2k-5k for the foreseeable future.

So I've decided to add GBA to my regular Wii comparisons, so Wii will have something to be significantly behind. As a solo mention for now... Wii at 29 weeks is where GBA was at 20.8 weeks (August 10, 2001).

DS overtook GBA on week 56. I wonder how Wii will compare to them then.
Leondexter said:
What kind of online Wii sales might we be missing, and do we have any idea if they'd amount to much? Those couple hundred thousand were sold direct from Sony, right?
I really have no clue. For comparison purposes it quite sucks to have an unknown quantity sitting there. A note that for PS2 it was more than a couple hundred thousand. From their European site,
31st MARCH 2000:
SCE announces that over 1.4 million PlayStation 2 consoles have been shipped since launch (0.9 million shipped by traditional retail and 0.4 million units by PlayStation.com)
So at least 400K. After that they don't give a specific retail/online split.
legend166 said:
So basically, at this stage, the PS3 has sold twice as bad as the GCN.
Since it's taken PS3 32 weeks to reach what took GCN 16, I can see that. I think it's fairer, though, to say that PS3's 32 week total is 70% of GCN's 32 week total.
starship said:
Typo? The second one is the Wii I assume?
Indeed. I seem a typo machine the last few days.

360 vs PS3: with 2 titles each finally making the top 50 in SW, the 360 received a much larger bump in HW sales.

Signifigant, or just a reflection of trusty bell being cool?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
DeadlySchnauzer said:
360 vs PS3: with 2 titles each finally making the top 50 in SW, the 360 received a much larger bump in HW sales.

Signifigant, or just a reflection of trusty bell being cool?

The implications are two-fold:

1. Japanese people love RPGs and are willing to purchase consoles they don't want to play them.

2. This is most definitely an indictment of everything that the PS3 stands for. This is as near as an outright rejection as has ever been had in mainstream Japanese console sales. They just don't care about this machine.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
PantherLotus said:
The implications are two-fold:

1. Japanese people love RPGs and are willing to purchase consoles they don't want to play them.

2. This is most definitely an indictment of everything that the PS3 stands for. This is as near as an outright rejection as has ever been had in mainstream Japanese console sales. They just don't care about this machine.

I'm curious how many of the people who bought the 360 this time had sold one after playing and beating Blue Dragon.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
well aren't 360s relatively really cheap in Japan? how huge of a loss would it be if you bought a bundle and then sold it off after you were done with it?

GreenGlowingGoo said:
I'm curious how many of the people who bought the 360 this time had sold one after playing and beating Blue Dragon.

I just have never understood the whole "buy and sell a console" for one game bit. It happens over here as well. Don't these people have closets? They'll probably end up buying it again somewhere down the line to play Lost Odyssey, and they'll have lost money on the re-purchase, so what's the point? Is it really that shameful to have a second console lying around? Why not try out another game just for shits and giggles?

You'd hear about this all the time last gen with the Gamecube and it never made sense to me.

GreenGlowingGoo said:
I'm more curious to see how many people will pull this same tactic with the PS3 when FFXIII(*) and MGS4 come out.

(*) If the 'main' game remains a PS3 title in light of these sales

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
GreenGlowingGoo said:

Good question.

I would actually consider buying one to play both of em. If I can get a cheap used american one that still works, I mean.

GreenGlowingGoo said:
Better question: How many used 360's were moved by Trusty Bell? I bet lots. Too bad there's no good way to find out.

mj1108

LanceStern said:
DS looks a bit high... I don't think all 150k new colors are going to sell WITH the average 115k we get every week.

You're questioning Nintendo selling out new color DS's??

Haven't you learned by now you don't question the DS. In Japan the DS questions you.

Galactic Fork

Juwanna Peezadis said:
Better question: How many used 360's were moved by Trusty Bell? I bet lots. Too bad there's no good way to find out.

And how many of them had the blue dragon faceplate still on it?

How much are used 360s in japan anyway? I'd imagine they're pretty cheap.

test_account

XP-39C²
Damn.. not even 10k PS3 sold with a game like Ninja Gaiden Sigma. I thought atleast it would break 10k, i'm suprised. A pretty big bump in PSP sales too, but there wasnt any new PSP games last week, atleast not any big titles. A big bump in 360 sales also, but thats no suprise :) All consoles sold alittle more than last week i see, thats good :)

Anyone know why Famitsu had listed like 11k for PS3? What i remember their Trusty Bell and Ninja Gaiden Sigma numbers was also off (compared to MC) by a few thousands. Anyone know what they base their numbers on since it was quite different?

Galactic Fork

test_account said:
Damn.. not even 10k PS3 sold with a game like Ninja Gaiden Sigma. I thought atleast it would break 10k, i'm suprised. A pretty big bump in PSP sales too, but there wasnt any new PSP games last week, atleast not any big titles. A big bump in 360 sales also, but thats no suprise :) All consoles sold alittle more than last week i see, thats good :)

Anyone know why Famitsu had listed like 11k for PS3? Do they include something that MC doesnt or were they just off?

They use individual surveys with different calculation methods, they are usually different from one another.

test_account

XP-39C²
GreenGlowingGoo said:
They use individual surveys with different calculation methods, they are usually different from one another.

Ah ok, thanks. Did a small edit in my previous post, but the question is the same :) While were on the subject, what does MC base their numbers on? Do they get store reports?

Wii software sales are still pretty weak.

People who buy a new Wii pick up either Sports or Play, and not much else. Some of the first party titles sell OK, but they don't have near the attach rate they do in NA/EU.
Some third party titles also did decent in NA/EU. Third party Wii JP titles seem to range from disapointing to utter failure. I still can't beleive that cooking mama flops in JP and gets decent NA/EU sales.

I don't think the next gen console war is over in JP. Even if the Wii hardware is selling decent, the software charts seem to hint that the war hasn't started yet.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Tyrannical said:
Wii software sales are still pretty weak.

People who buy a new Wii pick up either Sports or Play, and not much else. Some of the first party titles sell OK, but they don't have near the attach rate they do in NA/EU.
Some third party titles also did decent in NA/EU. Third party Wii JP titles seem to range from disapointing to utter failure. I still can't beleive that cooking mama flops in JP and gets decent NA/EU sales.

I don't think the next gen console war is over in JP. Even if the Wii hardware is selling decent, the software charts seem to hint that the war hasn't started yet.

We missed you, jimbo.

While you're at it, go count up million sellers for #1 platforms at this point in their lifespan compared with the Wii. Or should I guess that you're not equipped to do that?

Coen

Tyrannical said:

4ouf11l.jpg

"Hey dad, I got one!"

If you throw out all the * Training titles and just look at the game (vs. educational) software, Sony's actually pretty doing well:

02./00. [360] Trusty Bell ~Chopin's Dream~ (Bandai-Namco) - 49,334 / NEW
03./00. [PS3] Ninja Gaiden Sigma (Tecmo) - 46,307 / NEW
04./05. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) - 34,223 / 1,721,611
06./09. [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo) - 22,161 / 1,399,060
07./10. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 19,297 / 4,539,176
08./06. [NDS] Moero! Nekketsu Rhythm Damashii: Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2 (Nintendo) - 16,879 / 156,867
11./17. [NDS] Prof. Layton and the Mysterious Village (Level 5)
12./01. [PS2] Hisshou Pachinko/Pachislo Capture Series, Vol. 10: CR Neon Geneses Evangelion (D3 Publisher)
13./13. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
14./00. [PS3] Call of Duty 3 (Spike)

in fact, there's more PlayStation titles on the list than Wii titles.

I have to wonder how longer we're going to keep non-game software on "video game" sales charts. I don't mean casting aspersions on Wii Sports on a "non-games," I mean stuff like English Training and the recipe book that is clearly intended for educational or productivity use and isn't a game at all. Should we really be comparing that kind of stuff to entertainment products? I think people are buying those softs for completely different reason.

mj1108 said:
You're questioning Nintendo selling out new color DS's??

Haven't you learned by now you don't question the DS. In Japan the DS questions you.
I think what he means is that with the introduction of the new colors, they're not still going to be supplying as many of the existing colors. Thus, adding the amount for the new colors onto what was the previous weekly norm will overshoot actual supply.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Speevy said:
So "Playstation" sales are so defensibly good that they need grouping?

No, they are so good that they need to combine forces to overtake the evil wii.

They still need to spend 40 hours leveling up to beat the DS.

In hindisight, it's kind of silly to expect a remake to carry the PS3's hopes. I mean, it's like people putting their bets on REmake.

Galactic Fork

test_account said:
Ah ok, thanks. Did a small edit in my previous post, but the question is the same :) While were on the subject, what does MC base their numbers on? Do they get store reports?

I'd imagine they get the reports, but I honestly don't know.

test_account said:
I believe that around 90% of Japanese stores inform MC of their sales, then MC extrapolates the data with some non-ioi algorithm for the other 10%

From what I remember, Famitsu uses a small percentage of stores to base their numbers on.

Waiting for someone to correct me 3, 2, 1...

Mr. Pointy said:
In hindisight, it's kind of silly to expect a remake to carry the PS3's hopes. I mean, it's like people putting their bets on REmake.
REmake was more of a Gundabump size, pushing GCN above 30K for the week.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Brain Training and English Training aren't bought for different reasons imo. At least I play them because they are simply fun.

Top Bottom