• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 7/16 - 7/22

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Haunted One said:
Mario Party triples sales while MnGolf sales are halved?

****ing uh oh for the PS3.

I wonder if Mario Party 8 will be the best-selling MP game so far.

At this rate I don't see why not, excellent first day sales.

ziran

ki/oon said:
First day numbers :

-Mario Party 8 and MnGolf 5 both sell over 100K.
-MP8 numbers are 3 times higher than MP7 first day numbers.
-MnGolf 5 numbers are about half the MnGolf 4 first day numbers.
-"Beginner's pack" (Mng 5 + PS3) hasn't sold much.
-Oblivion (XBox 360) : 35K (better than Trusty Bell's 30K)
-Taiko no Tatsujin DS : 50K (some places are sold out already, new shipment only end of august)
-Gundam MS 0079 Wii : 30K
-Metal Gear anniversary box : 15K
-GTA Liberty City Stories : 20K
Thanks ki/oon. Good to see you posting again.

Mario Party 8 and Minna no Golf 5 are both off to a decent start. I'd guess Mario Party 8 will do better over the weekend and could top 200K, while Minna no Golf 5 ends up 160-180K on the chart because the system is still owned predominantly by the eager buying hardcore. It should have good legs though and become PS3's biggest selling title so far.

The Minna no Golf 5 bundle not selling well is bad news. This is one of the console's biggest titles and if it fails to sell significant hardware PS3 faces even more of a struggle.

Good Taiko no Tatsujin sales, impressive to see it already selling out. The Namco part of Bandai Namco is still just as bad as ever at estimating demand. Oblivion is doing well for what it is, and Gundam MS 0079 has okay numbers, both could make 100K+ LTDs.

GTA seems to be losing popularity everywhere. I don't think GTA IV will manage the numbers 3 and its sequels did, even by the end of the generation and even if it sees a release on Wii.

Frillen

I'm quite certain that MP8 will sell most the first week if both have the same first day sales, 'cause of three reasons:

1. Nintendo games seem to sell better than everything else during weekends.
2. Wii games, especially Nintendo made Wii games, have far better legs than PS3 games.
3. MP8 has a bigger shipment.

apujanata

ziran said:
GTA seems to be losing popularity everywhere. I don't think GTA IV will manage the numbers 3 and its sequels did, even by the end of the generation and even if it sees a release on Wii.

Edit : Removed offending post.

I always suspected that Minna no Golf was going to have solid first day sales due to the eager hardcore consumer still holding onto the system. The fact that the bundle is flying off the shelves seems to point to this trend. MP8 selling well is no surprise. And I hate Hudson (and Nintendo) for not addressing the most nagging issues associated with the series.

evilromero said:
I always suspected that Minna no Golf was going to have solid first day sales due to the eager hardcore consumer still holding onto the system. The fact that the bundle is flying off the shelves seems to point to this trend. MP8 selling well is no surprise. And I hate Hudson (and Nintendo) for not addressing the most nagging issues associated with the series.
Typo?

Verve

apujanata said:
I don't think Wii's demographic (elderly, women) are interested in GTA type of game. So, I think GTA on Wii will do worse (compared to PS3 and X360).

is there any survey or study proving that mainly elderly and women are wii owners?
i'm a 21 year old man and always feel like i'd have to live in a feminist retirement home when i read such stuff

kottila

apujanata said:
I don't think Wii's demographic (elderly, women) are interested in GTA type of game. So, I think GTA on Wii will do worse (compared to PS3 and X360).

How many of the Wii owners do you think fit in to this category?

Zer0

Banned
apujanata said:
Well, I know that if PS3 was released at US$ 300 price point, I would have bought it, instead of buying a SECOND Wii. (and right now, I am thinking of buying a Third Wii, the Japanese version one).

woah..3 wiis..u must be high on the ranks

rakka

apujanata said:

I don't think you know (apujanata) what you're talking about. So, I think you're stupid (compared to other people).

Verve

apujanata said:
To clarify, I mean that more elderly and women have wii (compared to PS3 and X360). I know that lots of elderly and women (in Japan, since we have pictures of them buying it) have DSL, so it is quite safe to say that Wii also have a higher percentage of elderly and/or women owner.

you know who i got my first gameboy from? my grandpa. he bought it. just imagine if someone took a photo of it and thought, he'd buy it for himself...

apujanata said:
Do YOU have any evidence that None / small percentage of Wii owner are in the elderly / women category ?

no. do you have any evidence that none / small percentage of PS3 owners are in the elderly / women category?
maybe they're all just waiting for a brain training game on it and that's why the game sales are poor at the moment.

of course, don't take me seriously, but i want to clarify that we could make up any statement and challange others to prove the opposite.

KINGMOKU

apujanata said:
Well, IF Rockstar ever release a GTA game for Wii, we will know whether I am right (that GTA Wii will have lowest sales compared to PS3 and X360) or not.

To clarify, I mean that more elderly and women have wii (compared to PS3 and X360). I know that lots of elderly and women (in Japan, since we have pictures of them buying it) have DSL, so it is quite safe to say that Wii also have a higher percentage of elderly and/or women owner.

Do YOU have any evidence that None / small percentage of Wii owner are in the elderly / women category ?
You want someone to give proof that not a big % of Wii owners are old women?

WTF? :lol

apujanata

moku said:
You want someone to give proof that not a big % of Wii owners are old women?

WTF? :lol

Well, he might have evidence that it is so. Anyway, here is the source that made me believe that DSL have more women and elderly gamers (than usual).

Nintendo DS Gaming Service Tops 5 Million Users, 200 Million Game Sessions

Nintendo DS also finds success beyond the stereotypical young male gamer. According to internal Nintendo demographic tracking studies, in less than 18 months, DS purchases have increased by 42 percent among women, 127 percent among people 30 and older and 212 percent among people 35 and older.

http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?articleid=OaUVnKSxO9TH4x_Vixl-LJhEbjpQB3m1&page=

Moku, when I said elderly, women, I meant elderly and/or women, I do not refer to old women. I am not sure when exaclty someone are considered elderly (in gaming), but I believe, when you refer to gaming audience, 30 and older are considered elderly (for your information, I am already 38 years old). Otherwise, there is no reason for Nintendo to track the "30 and older" and "35 and older" category.

apujanata said:
Well, IF Rockstar ever release a GTA game for Wii, we will know whether I am right (that GTA Wii will have lowest sales compared to PS3 and X360) or not.

If Wii gets a brand new GTA-game that would be quite fair. If Wii gets just a port of a former GTA, wow, what a surprise that´d be if that wouldnt sell great, eh? *sigh*

Verve

apujanata said:
Anyway, here is the source that made me believe that DSL have more women and elderly gamers (than usual).

we don't know the numbers these percentages are based on. they may be very, very low, so the exact numbers would be just a little higher and the vast majority of DSL owners would still be young males

apujanata

MasterMFauli said:
If Wii gets a brand new GTA-game that would be quite fair. If Wii gets just a port of a former GTA, wow, what a surprise that´d be if that wouldnt sell great, eh? *sigh*

If, on the other hand, there is also another game, that is also a port from other platform (such as PS3 and X360), and it sold better on Wii than PS3 and X360 version, people will say : it sold better on Wii than the other platform, because there are more Wii than PS3 and X360.

In other words, if GTA sold worse on Wii, I have not proven that I am right. But if GTA sold better than Wii, I have been proven wrong. Right ?

Verve said:
we don't know the numbers these percentages are based on. they may be very, very low, so the exact numbers would be just a little higher and the vast majority of DSL owners would still be young males

Well, you could be right. Until someone released the actual demographic information of DSL owners, we can only made a guess. Since I need to get a sleep, I will just edit my offending (and probably baseless) post, and be done with it.

apujanata said:
If, on the other hand, there is also another game, that is also a port from other platform (such as PS3 and X360), and it sold better on Wii than PS3 and X360 version, people will say : it sold better on Wii than the other platform, because there are more Wii than PS3 and X360.

In other words, if GTA sold worse on Wii, I have not proven that I am right. But if GTA sold better than Wii, I have been proven wrong. Right ?

If a port of an older GTA game (III, SA, etc...) sold worse on Wii, you wouldn't have proven anything. It's a port of an older game that a lot of people already played. Nobody expects RE4:Wii to outsell the versions from 2 years ago (not even Capcom).

If GTA IV came out for Wii, and sold better on Wii than PS3 or 360, then you would have been proven wrong.

The "GTA" in your manufactured dichotomy refers to different games.

apujanata

BenNX74205 said:
If a port of an older GTA game (III, SA, etc...) sold worse on Wii, you wouldn't have proven anything. It's a port of an older game that a lot of people already played. Nobody expects RE4:Wii to outsell the versions from 2 years ago (not even Capcom).

If GTA IV came out for Wii, and sold better on Wii than PS3 or 360, then you would have been proven wrong.

The "GTA" in your manufactured dichotomy refers to different games.

What happen IF GTA IV was released on PS3, X360 and Wii, and sold worst on Wii, even though Wii H/W is #1 on that time ? Just curious as to why you think caused that ?

apujanata said:
What happen IF GTA IV was released on PS3, X360 and Wii, and sold worst on Wii, even though Wii H/W is #1 on that time ? Just curious as to why you think caused that ?

If it bombed on Wii, and sold great everywhere else, then I would say it is more likely the Wii userbase is not as geared towards those games. I would also say that we would need more data before the "all third parties don't see on Wii" could come out.

If it bombed on Wii, but bombed on 360 and PS3, then I would say the series is losing some of its selling power.

If it sold worst on Wii, with something like 2 million total sales to the 360 and PS3's 3 million sales apiece, then I would say GTA on Wii is probably a viable source of revenue for R*, and would expect future GTA games to appear on the Wii as well.

How would you interpret those scenarios?

KINGMOKU

apujanata said:
Do you want to know what would happen if a giant asteroid hit the earth?

rakka

@apujanata

Explain why COD3 wii did better than COD3 PS3? (a multiplatform shooter)

And RE4 more than Ninja Gaiden Sigma? (both are M titles, and ****ing ports)

Many Wii owners like you said are in fact nongamers, elderly, women, etc.

But if you think that the market isn't there for real games, youre dead wrong. (see examples above)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
AnimeTheme said:
Wii Dewy's Adventure sold less than 1k in the first say... biggest Wii bomb so far?

Wow...sent to die indeed.

donny2112

Famitsu July 9-15

1. WII Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors 302066 / NEW
2. NDS Zelda: Phantom Hourglass 70610 / 602244
3. NDS My Housekeeping Diary 50550 / NEW
4. WII Wii Sports 38263 / 1748897
5. NDS Observation Training 33113 / 423114
6. NDS Mega Man ZX Advent 27634 / NEW
7. NDS Chibi-Robo: Park Patrol 27496 / 77898
8. PS2 Super Robot Wars: OG 24752 / 406119
9. WII Wii Play 23249 / 1353985
10. NDS Kaite Shabette Hajimeyou! Monster Farm DS 20152 / NEW
11. NDS New Super Mario Bros. 18569 / 4642403
12. NDS Itadaki Street DS 17638 / 257563
13. NDS More English Training 17566 / 400892
14. NDS Brain Training 2 17258 / 4508451
15. PS2 Pop'n Music 14: Fever! 16844 / NEW
16. NDS Mario Kart DS 16727 / 2281814
17. NDS Kirarin * Revolution: Mezase! Idol Queen 16094 / NEW
18. NDS Pokemon Diamond/Pearl 16073 / 5225505
19. NDS Abacus DS 15713 / NEW
20. NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 15176 / 4214900
21. NDS Brain Training 13084 / 3416242
22. NDS English Training 12730 / 1894488
23. WII DK: Barrel Jet Race 11654 / 53001
24. NDS Saiyuki: Gold and Silver Conspiracy 11153 / NEW
25. PSP Ratchet & Clank 5: Gekitotsu! Dodeka Ginga no MiriMiri Gundan 10271 / 66524
26. PS3 My Summer Vacation 3 9567 / 36775
27. PS2 Memories Off #5 Encore 8613 / NEW
28. NDS Kanji Brain 7972 / 486448
29. NDS Momotarou Dentetsu DS: Tokyo & Japan 7725 / 270135
30. NDS Listen! Write! Increase Vocabulary! Initial English Training 7364 / 46363

There seems to be some differences between Famitsu this week and last weeks Media-Create. #17 and #19 don't seem to be on last week's Media-Create top 50, at all. Any ideas as to why?

Also, Abacus DS. Wow. :)

thumjkt.jpg

rakka

AnimeTheme said:
Wii Dewy's Adventure and Guilty Gear sold less than 1k in the first say... biggest Wii bomb so far?

No ****ing surprise either.

Konami actually thought that it would sell?

As I've said a million times ultrakiddy shit can only be sold by nintendo

devs should put some effort into making good games first before complaining they don't sell.

apujanata

rakka said:
@apujanata

Explain why COD3 wii did better than COD3 PS3? (a multiplatform shooter)

And RE4 more than Ninja Gaiden Sigma? (both are M titles, and ****ing ports)

Many Wii owners like you said are in fact nongamers, elderly, women, etc.

But if you think that the market isn't there for real games, youre dead wrong. (see examples above)

COD 3 Wii are only doing 20% better than COD3 PS3 (up to Feb 07), even though Wii are 80% more than PS3 (up to Feb 07).

It is true that RE4 Wii are selling better than NGS, but is RE4 Wii more than 2:1 against NGS (like the current H/W ratio between Wii & PS3) ? Since I don't have the data, I could not say whether you are right or wrong.

I never said that there is no market for real games on Wii. I only doubt that GTA could be successfull on Wii. I think you are reading something into my post which I never said at all.

BenNX74205 said:
If it bombed on Wii, and sold great everywhere else, then I would say it is more likely the Wii userbase is not as geared towards those games. I would also say that we would need more data before the "all third parties don't see on Wii" could come out.

If it bombed on Wii, but bombed on 360 and PS3, then I would say the series is losing some of its selling power.

If it sold worst on Wii, with something like 2 million total sales to the 360 and PS3's 3 million sales apiece, then I would say GTA on Wii is probably a viable source of revenue for R*, and would expect future GTA games to appear on the Wii as well.

How would you interpret those scenarios?

I don't understand the bolded part. Probably you meant best ?
You don't think that there is a possibility of Wii demographic as possible reason for the first paragraph of your post ?
FYI, I don't think "all third parties don't sell on Wii" is true. I think third parties sell on Wii. If not now, it will happen later (when Wii is double or more X360 Worldwide sales). It already happen with DQ:S, but people think it is because of dragon quest name, not because "third party can sell on Wii".

Rocksteady33

apujanata said:
COD 3 Wii are only doing 20% better than COD3 PS3 (up to Feb 07), even though Wii are 80% more than PS3 (up to Feb 07).

It is true that RE4 Wii are selling better than NGS, but is RE4 Wii more than 2:1 against NGS (like the current H/W ratio between Wii & PS3) ? Since I don't have the data, I could not say whether you are right or wrong.

I never said that there is no market for real games on Wii. I only doubt that GTA could be successfull on Wii. I think you are reading something into my post which I never said at all.

Yeah but consider that almost nothing is new to RE4 aside from aiming while NGS contains updated visuals and new content.

rakka

apujanata said:

Dude, you miss my point.

All I'm saying is, are the sales the same, if not even more?

Attach rate is ****ing irrelevant for devs.

The number of sales are just that: number of sales.

Your post specifically stated that you think GTA4 would worse on the Wii.

rakka said:

devs should put some effort into making good games first before complaining they don't sell.

Konami will never learn, all they would release on the gamecube was disney crap. (with the exception of twin snakes and iss2)

apujanata said:

That pretty much says that the Wii had a far varied userbase, which kinda was your point. It still doesn't change the fact that "hardcore" gamers do own the Wii, probably more so than the PS3(either alone or with a 360).

rakka said:

Don't expect the situation to change with Konami. They are so entrenched into thier thinking that the Wii is "kiddy", they even said so a few months ago. Plus it seems like Sony is seriously moneyhatting them(MGS anniversary, MGS movie deal, MGS cellphone).

They're trying to do a Capcom in that they are trying to appeal to western tastes, the only difference is that Capcom can actually make games that can suit the platform better both in style and execution and Capcom isn't ashamed to eat their words and change direction willingly.

rakka

titiklabingapat said:
That pretty much says that the Wii had a far varied userbase, which kinda was your point. It still doesn't change the fact that "hardcore" gamers do own the Wii, probably more so than the PS3(either alone or with a 360).

Exactly -- I really don't know why he's arguing about attach rate.

:-\

20% better sales means 20% more people who bought the damn game.

Slurpy said:
Dewey sold like shit? Why? The game looked ****ing awesome!

Yes, but you'd think there was enough children's games on the wii already.

We need more re4's (not in the port sense), less dewys.

Defuser

What? Dewy is a bomba?After all the GAF wankage, I see it flop? * head explodes*
No wonder Konami is supporting PS3 semi-heavily.

apujanata

titiklabingapat said:

I thought that Wii had a far varied userbase is MY point (that Wii have more women and/or elderly person compared to PS3 and X360) ? And I tried to show that through the attach ratio. If the demographic of Wii is not varied, it will reflect it in the attach ratio. Of course, attach ration can also mean that PS3 is more hardcore compared to Wii.

Are you talking hardcore as a percentage, or as absolute number ? I agree that it is possible Wii have more hardcore gamers as absolute number, but not more hardcore gamers as percentage number.

Example : IF there is 10 Million Wii gamers, and 50% of them are hardcore, while there are 3 Million PS3 gamers, and 100% of them are hardcore, Wii still has more (5 mil. vs. 3 mil) absolute hardcore gamers, while Wii has less percentage of hardcore gamers in the demographic (50% vs. 100%).

rakka

Defuser said:
What? Dewy is a bomba?After all the GAF wankage, I see it flop? * head explodes*

Wrong... put Dewy on PS3 and see how it sells :lol

Defuser said:
It's the movie deal.

apujanata said:
I thought that Wii had a far varied userbase is MY point ? And I tried to show that through the attach rate.

Didnt you say that more gradmas are more likely to own a Wii than the other platforms?

rakka

apujanata said:
I thought that Wii had a far varied userbase is MY point ? And I tried to show that through the attach rate.

No, you keep ignoring the fact that you said GTA if on wii would be outsold by the PS3 or 360 version.

Here, let me quote it for you:

360, most probably. hell 100% sure that it will.

PS3, not so much.

Cosmonaut X said:

http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/

リリースラッシュに完全に埋もれてしまった感があるのが
Wii「水精デューイの大冒険」と、PS2版の回収騒ぎで
ネガティブイメージがついてしまったWii「ギルティギア」。
どちらも3桁と厳しい出足。
「水精デューイ」などは「エレビッツ」ファンからもっと
支持されるかと思ったのだが、さすがに発売時期が悪過ぎたか。

"Both (Dewy's Adventure and Guilty Gear) sold figures are just 3-digit long" is the message I see from the bolded part, but please correct me if there is any wrong in my limited Japanese understandings.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Did sinobi say anything about if DQS got a new shipment? If they didn't, sales should be very very low (should be sold out)

apujanata

titiklabingapat said:
Didnt you say that more gradmas are more likely to own a Wii than the other platforms?

More grandma's as Wii owner means Wii's demographic is more varied, no ?

360, most probably. hell 100% sure that it will.

PS3, not so much.

I don't understand your post.

rakka

apujanata said:
More grandma's as Wii owner means Wii's demographic is more varied, no ?

Of course it's varied.

That is far from what you originally said. Backpedaling now I see.

Also, grandmas doesn't need an apostrophe.

I don't understand your post.

Well I'm not surprised.

----

Will make it easier for you.

Multiplatform shooter Wii version outsold PS3.
Port of old games (both high scoring), M rated, Wii game outsold PS3.

Now, you then say "Wii demographic won't like GTA", if it came out on Wii, it will do shit compared to PS3/360 versions.

A larger userbase means more sales for every type of game, as already evidenced above. Is that so hard to swallow?

apujanata

rakka said:
Of course it's varied.

That is far from what you originally said. Backpedaling now I see.

Also, grandmas doesn't need an apostrophe.

Well I'm not surprised.

It is titiklabingapat that said that Wii's demographic is more varied, not me. I don't see any backpedaling now.

And I still believe that GTA IV on Wii will sold worse than GTA IV on PS3 and/or X360. If you don't think so, it is fine by me. If you wanted to call me stupid, or whatever else you wanted to call me, just because I think GTA IV on Wii will sold worse, it is fine by me.

rakka said:
I don't think you know (apujanata) what you're talking about. So, I think you're stupid (compared to other people).

A larger userbase means more sales for every type of game, as already evidenced above. Is that so hard to swallow?

And nice attack on my mistake on grandmas. Are you infering from my post that because I don't believe GTA IV on Wii will be successful I said that "Every game on Wii WILL NOT be successfull" ? If you think I said that, think again. I am sure that most game will sell better on Wii, just not GTA IV. If you think that GTA IV will be more sucessful on Wii, then it is your right to think that way. Good night.

rakka

apujanata said:
It is titiklabingapat that said that Wii's demographic is more varied, not me. I don't see any backpedaling now.

Whut! :lol

Dude I'm agreeing that it's varied.

And I still believe that GTA IV on Wii will sold worse than GTA IV on PS3 and/or X360. If you don't think so, it is fine by me.

Whatever you say man -- I feel like I'm arguing with a wall.

Also, how do I shot web?

And nice attack on my mistake on grandmas. And nice come back "Well, I'm not surprised".

I'm guessing English isn't your first language.

(and it isn't mine either)

apujanata said:

And I still believe that GTA IV on Wii will sold worse than GTA IV on PS3 and/or X360. If you don't think so, it is fine by me. If you wanted to call me stupid, or whatever else you wanted to call me, just because I think GTA IV on Wii will sold worse, it is fine by me.

And nice attack on my mistake on grandmas. And nice come back "Well, I'm not surprised".
I was indeed the one who said it was "more varied", you just worded in differently.

AnimeTheme said:
http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/

"Both (Dewy's Adventure and Guilty Gear) sold figures are just 3-digit long" is the message I see from the bolded part, but please correct me if there is any wrong in my limited Japanese understandings.

Well, my Japanese is far, far more limited so I can’t help there! Assuming you have translated it correctly, that is very disappointing & suggests an opening week of sub-5,000 for both titles. While Guilty Gear may have been a relatively cheap & dirty Wiimake (at least that’s what I gathered from what I’ve read about it), Dewey seemed to be a nice, ground-up title that combined interesting Wiimote use & game design with some very pretty graphics. It may not have needed to sell a huge amount to be profitable, but I can’t imagine that Konami will be at all satisfied with such a poor performance. I hope it won’t affect its chances of coming to the West, as I was quite looking forward to playing it later in the year.

felipeko

If GTAIV was on the Wii, a well polished game, not a rushed port, i think a lot of people would pass on X360/PS3 release, since Wii's cheaper and have the Wiimote advantage...

So i'm not so sure if X360 would really be the winner if that really happened...

rakka

felipeko said:
If GTAIV was on the Wii, a well polished game, not a rushed port, i think a lot of people would pass on X360/PS3 release, since Wii's cheaper and have the Wiimote advantage...

So i'm not so sure if X360 would really be the winner if that really happened...

Good point there...

But if gta wii did happen, who really cares which version sold the most? (i would say 360 > wii > ps3 however, at the rate the triple is selling at :( )

Gamers win -- whatever system they own , they would be able to play it..

Top Bottom