• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 7/16 - 7/22

donny2112

Lost in apujanata's strange segue to GTAIV was the latest Famitsu and a question.

donny2112 said:
Famitsu July 9-15

17. NDS Kirarin * Revolution: Mezase! Idol Queen 16094 / NEW
19. NDS Abacus DS 15713 / NEW

There seems to be some differences between Famitsu this week and last weeks Media-Create. #17 and #19 don't seem to be on last week's Media-Create top 50, at all. Any ideas as to why?

Also, Abacus DS. Wow. :)

thumjkt.jpg

Any ideas?

Cosmonaut X said:
t may not have needed to sell a huge amount to be profitable, but I can’t imagine that Konami will be at all satisfied with such a poor performance. I hope it won’t affect its chances of coming to the West, as I was quite looking forward to playing it later in the year.

Elebits tanked in Japan. Elebits did very well in the U.S. I think a U.S. release for Dewy's Adventure was always a certainty. :)

titiklabingapat said:
I don't think "slaughtered" is the right word to use. It will do "better", but it's not like Wii software is lagging.

I don't think you've been paying attention to 360 software sales in the U.S. "Slaughter" is the correct term. ;)

Stumpokapow said:
It's substantially more likely that they've sold about 1.1-1.3 million in Europe/other, putting them a smidge below 4 million.

SCEE said they had sold "more than" 1.2 million in "SCEE territories" at E3.

XiaNaphryz said:
I always forget, are bundle sales counted with software, hardware, or both?

Both.

milanbaros said:
Unless you know what you are talking about I would strongly advise staying out of these threads. The posters on sales age doesn't allow mistakes of any kind, especially not ones with numbers in.

Don't stay out, but don't come in looking to "educate" us on what Sony's financial figures mean. Something like

"This story says that Sony has sold 4.8 million PS3s. Is this sold-sold or shipped-sold?"

will go over much better. As a newbie, come in seeking to learn not seeking to teach. ;)

test_account said:
Or do you automaticly get wiser after you have posted 250 posts (or what the junior limit is)?

Yes. It's called "experience."

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
Yes. It's a little something called "experience."

What if you have read the forum for years and been very active on other forums? Or if the 250 posts are in the off-topic discussion about cats and sports? :p The junior status doesnt really show how much experience you have. A guy with 1 post can have 10 times more experience than a guy with 1000 posts. Depends on what its about.

Link

The Autumn Wind
test_account said:
Junior status only shows how many posts you have so why does it matter if hes a junior? Or do you automaticly get wiser after you have posted 250 posts (or what the junior limit is)? Hehe :p
I can't prove it, but it sure seems that way.

donny2112

test_account said:
What if you have read the forum for years and been very active on other forums?

The first 100 posts is still a good means of seeing how you come across to others by their reactions to what you post. That's something you can't get from just reading. Watching vs. Doing and all that.

test_account said:
Or if the 250 posts are in the off-topic discussion about cats and sports?

I don't go over to OT much, but I've heard that they "talk" about the Gaming Forum. That should help out when/if you come over, too.

Edit:
test_account said:
So its an empirically derived assessment eh?

Fixed.

Edit2:
test_account said:
The junior status doesnt really show how much experience you have. A guy with 1 post can have 10 times more experience than a guy with 1000 posts. Depends on what its about.

If someone has 1000 posts here, even in OT, they're bound to be substantially more experienced about GAF than someone with 1 post here.

I have 62,896 for Elebits (Famitsu data until March). It had some legs (good word of mouth I guess) because its opening week was something like 7k. 3-digit numbers for Dewy still sounds bad.

Btw, seeing the Famitsu top30, Boku no Natsuyasumi 3 is such a big bomb, I wonder if Mingol sales will help it somehow. Its looks really disappointing when compared to previous games.

felipeko

JoshuaJSlone said:
X360 does have a particularly high tie ratio in the US, and at least for the rest of this year its userbase will be significantly higher than Wii. So unless a multiplatform game is particularly strong on Wii for some reason, X360 has the advantage.
Yes, i know, but i was thinking WW and LTD...
And for the tie ratio... It isn't really helping to hold software sales against the Wii on NPD lately, is it?

donny2112 said:
I don't think you've been paying attention to 360 software sales in the U.S. "Slaughter" is the correct term. ;)
Wii has half of X360 userbase, but it's good titles are selling on pretty well, on par, with X360 titles. Or am i wrong?
Oh and we are talking about the strongest X360 territory, combine that with Europe and Japan and Wii will slaugher X360's software sales for this year. (and use data from before Wii's launch is kinda mean, dont you think?)

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
The first 100 posts is still a good means of seeing how you come across to others by their reactions to what you post. That's something you can't get from just reading. Watching vs. Doing and all that.

Sure, that i agree with. A guy with many posts might know how to post "better" than a guy that just signed up due to post experince (altho no guarantee for that, i've seen many "old" users posting disrespect posts etc.).

But what i ment with experience is how much you know about a subject. Posts cant tell how much you know about something. Therefor i think its wrong to say "hes a junior" if someone say something that some person doesnt agree with or think its totally wrong or idiotic. Dunno if that was the intention here tho, but it seemed like it.

test_account said:
Sure, that i agree with. A guy with many posts might know how to post "better" than a guy that just signed up due to post experince (altho no guarantee for that, i've seen many "old" users posting disrespect posts etc.).

But what i ment with experience is how much you know about a subject. Posts cant tell how much you know about something. Therefor i think its wrong to say "hes a junior" if someone say something that some person doesnt agree with or think its totally wrong or idiotic. Dunno if that was the intention here tho, but it seemed like it.

It's relative. Personally, sometimes I prefer to stay away and watch, because I know for experience that some thread are potentially big traps. It is useless to post on a thread where the 90% of posters is not serious. Instead, you amuse yourself a little bit.

Other thread, in contrast, are more serious and you can really discuss. Previews thread, charts threads (not always), news threads and financials thread are good examples.

felipeko said:
And for the tie ratio... It isn't really helping to hold software sales against the Wii on NPD lately, is it?
Well, the big Wii games have been exlcusives. We can't compare how Mario Party 8 Wii did against Mario Party 8 X360. Multiplatform games have thus far usually been more successful on X360, unless there's something extra going for the Wii version, as with Rayman Raving Rabbids. For a multiplatform GTA game the reverse would probably be true, as the Xbox brand has more history with the franchise.

donny2112

To test_account:

artredis1980 said:
Sony has SOLD 4.8 million consoles worldwide, not shipped.

Notice the bolding and ALL CAPS. He's coming in trying to push his point. A more experienced poster would know better than to come in that way about something they obviously don't know a ton about.

test_account said:
But what i ment with experience is how much you know about a subject.

Knowledge would be a better term, then.

test_account said:
Therefor i think its wrong to say "hes a junior" if someone say something that some person doesnt agree with or think its totally wrong or idiotic. Dunno if that was the intention here tho, but it seemed like it.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Stumpokapow said:
They haven't sold anywhere near 4.8 million consoles worldwide.

Stop and think for a minute; 1 million flat in Japan, ~1.6 million in North America. These are facts. The only wildcards are Europe/other, and so unless you believe that somehow the PS3 has sold 37% more than North America despite the mother****er of an exchange rate and despite the fact that the PS3 launched in Europe in March, the PS3 has not sold 4.8 million.

It's substantially more likely that they've sold about 1.1-1.3 million in Europe/other, putting them a smidge below 4 million.

He's a junior. Why are you surprised ?

Mithos Yggdrasill was trying to explain to Stumpokapow why Stumpokapow shouldn't get too spun up over this guy's statement. It's like a rookie in pro sports. A rookie might do great from the start, but if he messes up, he should be excused a little due to the fact he's just a rookie. In this case, saying he's a junior was trying to help him out so everyone doesn't come down on him for the incorrect statement.

If an experienced poster came in and said that, he would've probably been shouted down much harder.

The GAF for Dummies writeup, as usual, applies very well. :)

felipeko

JoshuaJSlone said:
Well, the big Wii games have been exlcusives. We can't compare how Mario Party 8 Wii did against Mario Party 8 X360. Multiplatform games have thus far usually been more successful on X360, unless there's something extra going for the Wii version, as with Rayman Raving Rabbids. For a multiplatform GTA game the reverse would probably be true, as the Xbox brand has more history with the franchise.
All the great sales from X360 were exclusives too, since he was alone in the market.. Multiplataform games may be winning now, X360 still the bigger in NA and most multiplataform on Wii are just quick and rushed ports...
I'm not trying to negate the good sales from X360, but you guys are making some unfair assumptions to say how will Wii software sales perform.

I still think that any great, hyped, big game will perform well on any plataform it lands. But Wii will have 3 advantages down the road: waggle, price and userbase. I mean, waggle can make the game feels better, userbase can make any game sells more and if a person have to choose wich to buy the lower price will surely help the decision. So i dont think it's foolish to think that it would outsell X360's version. And i'm talking about longterm.

Take Manhunt's case, where do you think it will sell the most?
PS2 is still bigger, but the game will for sure be better on the Wii, and they will push the Wii's version. So i think there's a great chance of Wii's selling more. And i think the same about any game where they put a real effort to make and to sell.
But we still didn't have that. We will have with EA Sports games i think. So i guess we will know the answer with Madden/Tiger/Fifa sales. If Wii's still sell realy low compared with X360's (and respective userbases) i give up on my arguments.

donny2112 said:
Mithos Yggdrasill was trying to explain to Stumpokapow why Stumpokapow shouldn't get too spun up over this guy's statement. It's like a rookie in pro sports. A rookie might do great from the start, but if he messes up, he should be excused a little due to the fact he's just a rookie. In this case, saying he's a junior was trying to help him out so everyone doesn't come down on him for the incorrect statement.

If an experienced poster came in and said that, he would've probably been shouted down much harder.

The GAF for Dummies writeup, as usual, applies very well. :)

Are you studying the human behaviour ?

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112: Hm.. ye, you might be right there. But generally speaking, it sometimes feel like the attitude is like "hey, hes a junior, his post(s) doesnt count" if you know what i mean. Like its more based on the status of the member, not whats being said. Dunno how to explain it.

To be fair, he did post an url and the article says that 4.48 million consoles have been sold (altho he did said 4.8). Even an old-timer could have posted that. But whats written is true or not, thats another thing. Stumpokapow just wrote that it wasnt right. So i dont see why its necessary to bring in the "junior!" expression after just 1 post that referes to an article :)

test_account said:
donny2112: Hm.. ye, you might be right there. But generally speaking, it sometimes feel like the attitude is like "hey, hes a junior, his post(s) doesnt count" if you know what i mean. Like its more based on the status of the member, not whats being said. Dunno how to explain it.

To be fair, he did post an url and the article says that 4.48 million consoles have been sold (altho he did said 4.8). Even an old-timer could have posted that. But whats written is true or not, thats another thing. Stumpokapow just wrote that it wasnt right. So i dont see why its necessary to bring in the "junior!" expression after just 1 post that referes to an article :)

You don't understand the human attitude very well. Sorry.

test_account said:
Junior status only shows how many posts you have so why does it matter if hes a junior? Or do you automaticly get wiser after you have posted 250 posts (or what the junior limit is)? Hehe :p

Ask yourself why. It wasn't only a stupid post, if you understand what I mean

test_account

XP-39C²
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
You don't understand the human attitude very well. Sorry.

Ask yourself why. It wasn't only a stupid post

Human attitude? What do you mean? I can only see 1 post from him in that context.

test_account said:

You realise that about four out of every five Juniors don't make it to full posting status for a reason?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Dragona Akehi said:
You realise that about four out of every five Juniors don't make it to full posting status for a reason?

I said wow. What happens to them? They're deemed not worthy after 100 posts? They get banned before they read adulthood? It's a manual process right; not like some script automatically unjuniors someone after 100 posts or after x months?

test_account

XP-39C²
Dragona Akehi said:

That bad eh? Heh ok, i didnt know that.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I send you a private message

Ok, but its no biggie. I didnt really want to start a huge discussion about it, i just wondered why :)

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Poor Dewy, it looked like a good game with a lot of effort put into it (you can't say that much about a lot of other Wii titles).

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Dragona Akehi said:

Yikes. I'm glad I didn't know the odds when I started posting- I doubt I would have had the heart to continue.

schuelma said:
Yikes. I'm glad I didn't know the odds when I started posting- I doubt I would have had the heart to continue.

I should have added that four out of five Juniors are joke accounts or previously permabanned members. ;)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Dragona Akehi said:
I should have added that four out of five Juniors are joke accounts or previously permabanned members. ;)

Oh

So I'm not special afterall. :(

Juniors are just like "newbies" in any game you pick. They usually suck and not know much about the game/subject at hand.

I'm an exception ofcourse.

ethelred

titiklabingapat said:
I don't think "slaughtered" is the right word to use. It will do "better", but it's not like Wii software is lagging.

BUT, if the Wii version get's released one to two years down the line(the time it would probably take to not botch it up), and not just a straight up port, it will probably do "better" than the 360 version just on sheer userbase advantage alone.

No, slaughtered was exactly the right word to use. And you're right, Wii third party software isn't lagging compared to the Xbox 360's third party software -- it's moribund. I mean, I take it we're talking about worldwide here, right? Beating out the PS3 (which I guess is a high achievement), isn't the same thing as the 360.

Compare Wii Madden sales vs. 360; compare Call of Duty Wii sales vs. 360; compare all the top-selling third party Wii games vs. 360 (Sonic, Rayman, Red Steel, etc.) -- everything is drastically behind. And GTA is far more tailored to the userbase the 360 has been accumulating than it is the Wii's.

There just wouldn't be any competition there. To believe otherwise is to admit that one has completely and totally ignored the 360 software phenomenon.

felipeko said:
That would be a unfair disvantage. But they released all togheter i think in the end Wii's version would sell better based on: price, waggle and bigger userbase.

None of that will matter. Yeah, bigger userbase, okay. Have you seen 300? Because that's basically what we have here. There may be fewer 360s but as far as software sales go, each one is worth a dozen Wiis.

Quit picking on the juniors. If some of you veterans were banned and came back with a junior account, would you want people ridiculing you because of the tag you had?

Treat others how you'd like...

nvm it's the MC thread

Dragona Akehi said:
Yeah, we only keep the semi-amusing joke characters. If we got rid of them all it'd be a perfect five out of five. :(

I think that one of the best thing of the GAF-gaming discussion, is that it is "antibodies" against blind fanboys.

Sharp

Very poor (b-b-b-bomba) Dewey's Adventure sales. It was kind of sent to die this week, though, and without advertising there's pretty much no way either it or Guilty Gear could possibly have done well. To fully appreciate the extent of the bomba, consider the Wii's sales so far: around three million (over, really, so this will be a conservative estimate). So if Dewey sold 1k first day it would have sold to 0.00003% of the userbase.

It sold lower.

At any rate, very good sales for Minna no Golf and (perhaps undeservedly) Mario Party 8, and okay sales for Gundam. Ridiculous sales for Taiko no Tatsujin, as nobody was expecting that one to set fire to the charts at all.

Xeke

Banned
BishopLamont said:
Juniors are just like "newbies" in any game you pick. They usually suck and not know much about the game/subject at hand.

I'm an exception ofcourse.

You need a space between that "of" and that "course".

Sharp said:
At any rate, very good sales for Minna no Golf and (perhaps undeservedly) Mario Party 8, and okay sells for Gundam. Ridiculous sells for Taiko no Tatsujin, as nobody was expecting that one to set fire to the charts at all.

What will matter are hardware's sales. Minna no Golf is one of the most powerful franchise on a Playstation format in Japan and its impact will be representative for the future, because if this game increase PS3's sales of a factor 2, we cannot expect then Final fanatsy to have a impact of factor 10, if you see what I mean.
Maybe it can sound strange, but this franchise has a selling capacity comparable to Metal Gear in Japan. I'm not joking, because An episode of Minna no Golf sold 2 millions. No Metal Gear reached that number in Japan. (in fact Metal Gear never passed the single million in japan).

But maybe we're taking the wrong approach. We are ALL expecting THE game that skyrocket the PS3. Uhmmmmm. There is NOT a single game that can do that. Maybe a combination of MANY games with the NECESSARY price cut (even if in Japan a price cut happened before launch).
Maybe...

felipeko

ethelred said:
No, slaughtered was exactly the right word to use. And you're right, Wii third party software isn't lagging compared to the Xbox 360's third party software -- it's moribund. I mean, I take it we're talking about worldwide here, right? Beating out the PS3 (which I guess is a high achievement), isn't the same thing as the 360.
You are talking about 3rd party sales?
The same 3rd parties that have missed the Wii train?
The same 3rd parties that have almost zero good games on Wii?
You can't compare Wii's sales without first party, since they are the only one that are really trying. And with first party, Wii is not being slaughtered by any mean.
ethelred said:
Compare Wii Madden sales vs. 360; compare Call of Duty Wii sales vs. 360; compare all the top-selling third party Wii games vs. 360 (Sonic, Rayman, Red Steel, etc.) -- everything is drastically behind. And GTA is far more tailored to the userbase the 360 has been accumulating than it is the Wii's.
Oh yeah, that. Like i said, compare when they really try to sell on the Wii.
And why you used Sonic? Sonic Wii sold prety good, may even better than X360's.
And Tiger did the same..
Red Steel 1 million is pretty good with most of the million sellers on X360.. I see only two titles on X360 that broke 2+ million, and 8 that did 1+ million. Wii have 5 1+ million sellers and 3 above 2+ million. And is catching pretty fast. I mean, with virtually no efforts from 3rd parties.
Oh, and Wii's userbase just passed half of x360 now. I mean, you can't really compare 3rd party sales when they
ethelred said:
There just wouldn't be any competition there. To believe otherwise is to admit that one has completely and totally ignored the 360 software phenomenon.
I'm still waiting to someone to show me this software sales phenomenon, i know, you guys keep talking this, but this phenomenon only happened before Wii's launch and only on NA. After Wii's launch (since i've been watching) i dont see any kind of phenomenon that Wii's not doing even better. I mean, compare Wii software sales against X360 software sales in the early days... What would you get?
ethelred said:
None of that will matter. Yeah, bigger userbase, okay. Have you seen 300? Because that's basically what we have here. There may be fewer 360s but as far as software sales go, each one is worth a dozen Wiis.
I've not esen 300. But i would love if you prove me that every X360 sells 12x the software of one Wii. Hell, if you prove me that it sells 2x the software of the Wii.

felipeko said:

The numbers don't lie, the 360 has an insane tie-ratio, and Capcom alone already has two platinum titles. That's crazy. The 360 is basically the hardest of the hardcore players, and tend to buy many more games compared to the casual-centric Wii.

When the Wii userbase gets larger and we see games sell more, maybe we could argue it, but for now? GTAIV 360 would utterly destroy a GTAWii.

Sharp

Third party sales aren't terrible on the Wii in PAL or NA regions, and it's turning around in Japan, but those of you trying to compare it to the 360 (especially in NA) have clearly only been looking through NPD threads very selectively, or maybe just ignored them altogether until the Wii came out. The 360 has consistently sold software at rates that are vastly disproportionate with the hardware, and already has one of the highest attach ratios of any console after under two years on the market with no price drop and $60 games. It's the hardcore console, and the insane game sales reflect that--it's like the demographic that helped balance out the casuals on the PS2 is now concentrated on one platform. For third parties to abandon the 360 completely and focus on the Wii--and I'm not saying it couldn't happen--the Wii's install base would probably have to be more than twice the 360's. Seriously, the only reason it even looks like it's a worthy competitor is on the back of Nintendo's incredible first party and the incredible rapidity with which the Wii's LTD has approached and/or surpassed the 360 in every region.

That doesn't mean the Wii won't get third party support. It will, and by the bucketload, since it's comforting to game manufacturers to know that they can spend much less money to sell games on a much more ubiquitous platform that sells in all three major regions. But on the software the Wii has a lot to prove. GTA Wii would sell worse, plain and simple.

ethelred said:

360 has bigger userbase when it comes to Madden and COD. Sonic, Rayman, and Red Steel all did fine. GTA isn't on the Wii, you can't compare it yet. I won't argue that 360's software is great, it's more then great, but it doesn't make the Wii's shit. All third party game's released on Wii so far deserve whatever numbers they got, except Red Steel - that sucked.

Moor-Angol said:
I officially ask to Vinnk a Taiko no Tatsujin DS situation on his weekly report...

Dewy's Adventure too please Vinnk.

felipeko

Dragona Akehi said:
The numbers don't lie, the 360 has an insane tie-ratio, and Capcom alone already has two platinum titles. That's crazy. The 360 is basically the hardest of the hardcore players, and tend to buy many more games compared to the casual-centric Wii.

When the Wii userbase gets larger and we see games sell more, maybe we could argue it, but for now? GTAIV 360 would utterly destroy a GTAWii.
Ubisoft (the only one that tried, failed, but tried) have 2 platinium titles on the Wii and Nintendo have a lot.
Wii sales are pretty good from a young 9 million userbase, don't you think?
From sales i see that, even if is a casual-centric userbase (from game tastes) as GAF calls, they are buying a lot.
I think GAF is understimating Wii's because the stereotype of the userbase, even if all signs points the oposite. But even publishers are understimating Wii's software sales performance, so i really can't blame.

And i know that for now GTAwii would get outsold by GTAIV, but i'm calling the long term (since Wii western userbase i not even close to X360's one), and WW, all the time.

As for Sharp, i'm not caring about 3rd party sales on Wii, since they did not care for it either.

And the post above me is explaining my feelings pretty well.

felipeko said:
All the great sales from X360 were exclusives too, since he was alone in the market.. Multiplataform games may be winning now, X360 still the bigger in NA and most multiplataform on Wii are just quick and rushed ports...
I'm not trying to negate the good sales from X360, but you guys are making some unfair assumptions to say how will Wii software sales perform.

I still think that any great, hyped, big game will perform well on any plataform it lands. But Wii will have 3 advantages down the road: waggle, price and userbase. I mean, waggle can make the game feels better, userbase can make any game sells more and if a person have to choose wich to buy the lower price will surely help the decision. So i dont think it's foolish to think that it would outsell X360's version. And i'm talking about longterm.
Well there's the thing. I'm talking strictly about the hypothetical of something that could in an alternate reality happen in October, when X360 has the userbase advantage you mention, not a year or two from now when Wii will.

C.T.

ethelred said:

still, the Wii got late ports and new average IPs which still sold good.

ksamedi

I dont agree with 360 software sales slaugthering the Wii software sales, and its not fair to compare third party software on the Wii to first party software because of the huge quality and intelligence difference. If you compare software sales on both platforms, (despite the Wii having a smaller userbase in the US) the Wii is doing very well. Those so called casuals sure do buy games.

Also, if Nintendos strategy of growing the gaming population is succesfull with the Wii, and i think that you will see more of that strategy in 2008, the Wii software sales will murder 360 sales. Why? because now mom, dad and the kids are all buying software for one machine.

Top Bottom