• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 7/16 - 7/22

felipeko

rakka said:
Good point there...

But if gta wii did happen, who really cares which version sold the most?

Gamers win -- whatever system they own , they would be able to play it..
Sales-age care.
It would show publishers that Wii can handle every kind of game. (i mean, we already know that with DQS and RE4wii Red Steel and RRR, but there are still people who thinks everything is black and white.)

felipeko said:
If GTAIV was on the Wii, a well polished game, not a rushed port, i think a lot of people would pass on X360/PS3 release, since Wii's cheaper and have the Wiimote advantage...

So i'm not so sure if X360 would really be the winner if that really happened...
Especially if they took up Godfather's waggle and polished it up some more, added more content by building a much bigger city(you can cram more crap more on the disc because you're not using HD assets).

In short, something that was given the same attention and resources as the 360/PS3 versions. Well, maybe a bit cheaper.

rakka said:
Good point there...

But if gta wii did happen, who really cares which version sold the most? (i would say 360 > wii > ps3 however, at the rate the triple is selling at :( )

Gamers win -- whatever system they own , they would be able to play it..
There is no room for "playing games" in a sales thread :p

felipeko said:
If GTAIV was on the Wii, a well polished game, not a rushed port, i think a lot of people would pass on X360/PS3 release, since Wii's cheaper and have the Wiimote advantage...

So i'm not so sure if X360 would really be the winner if that really happened...

Hard to make a guess for PS3, but XB360 would definitely win in this case.

rakka

The question is, did rockstar squeeze the RAGE engine onto the Wii with Table Tennis?

(same engine as GTAIV, so if they did, thats welcome news.)

felipeko

AnimeTheme said:
Hard to make a guess for PS3, but XB360 would definitely win in this case.
Why?
I don't get. I mean, GTA is not that kind of hardcore game.
It was a smashing hit because of the casual people.
And those casuals would love to pay cheaper and play it on the Wii with waggle.

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
mp8 sales pstripled?

Also, saying that Wii's demographic is women/elderly is completely different from saying that Wii sells better to women/eldery than other consoles.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
rakka said:
The question is, did rockstar squeeze the RAGE engine onto the Wii with Table Tennis?

(same engine as GTAIV, so if they did, thats welcome news.)

God I hope so..with the rumor that there is a 3rd Rockstar game on the way....it better be GTA.

rakka

Trident said:
Also, saying that Wii's demographic is women/elderly is completely different from saying that Wii sells better to women/eldery than other consoles.

Trust me, he won't listen :)

ethelred

felipeko said:

GTA's 360 sales would absolutely slaughter the Wii sales. It'd be a killing field. No valid comparison could be made. And it's crazy to think otherwise.

The only way you COULD think otherwise is if you've been completely ignoring 360's insane software sales for the past two years, and doing that requires crazy levels of ostriching.

felipeko said:
Do we have any indication on that?
Or is just a stereotype GAF have?
And i know how GAF is always right with these kind of consensus...

Yeah. Past data. Take the blinders off, man.

felipeko

ethelred said:
GTA's 360 sales would absolutely slaughter the Wii sales. It'd be a killing field. No valid comparison could be made. And it's crazy to think otherwise.

rakka

ethelred said:

This I agree with..

And what about the PS3?

Only way to find out is for GTA Wii to happen :)

ethelred said:

The only way you COULD think otherwise is if you've been completely ignoring 360's insane software sales for the past two years, and doing that requires crazy levels of ostriching.

I don't think "slaughtered" is the right word to use. It will do "better", but it's not like Wii software is lagging.

BUT, if the Wii version get's released one to two years down the line(the time it would probably take to not botch it up), and not just a straight up port, it will probably do "better" than the 360 version just on sheer userbase advantage alone.

ziran

I agree with what apujanata's saying.

Even if a GTA IV port was released on Wii at the same time as the 360 and PS3 version I wouldn't expect it to be the biggest selling version, even though it could sell relatively well.

I think many franchises from last gen are in decline amongst the casual (PS2) audience, because developers are continuing to refine them in a way which appeals more to the hardcore. This group is still a big enough audience to give these games healthy sales, but most of the biggest titles will top out around 5 million imo, and I can't see anything selling over 10 million.

If Wii becomes the market leader by a huge margin, and old franchises come to the system in a new, built from the ground up way, some could sell really well, more than 360 and PS3 editions, but I think it's going to be a while before we see this.

felipeko

ethelred said:

You mean, the good X360 sold well?
Looks like even the shitty Wii games are selling well, and the good games selling even better.

I think it really have more to do with the quality/hype of the game than the kind of (stereotyped) userbase (that GAF have) of the console. Feel free to prove me otherwise.

titiklabingapat said:
BUT, if the Wii version get's released one to two years down the line(the time it would probably take to not botch it up), and not just a straight up port, it will probably do "better" than the 360 version just on sheer userbase advantage alone.
That would be a unfair disvantage. But they released all togheter i think in the end Wii's version would sell better based on: price, waggle and bigger userbase.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
rakka said:
Enough GTA talk can we get back to MC Sales plz. :3

I like this alternate speak in comparison to facing the reality that Dewy's Adventure didn't even break 1,000 sales yet. :(

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Trident said:
Why bother? Keep it to every 4 years so it stays magical.

Truer words have not been said. It's great that it's selling so well because then they do not need to focus on pumping them out so frequently.

ziran said:
Thanks ki/oon. Good to see you posting again.

Mario Party 8 and Minna no Golf 5 are both off to a decent start. I'd guess Mario Party 8 will do better over the weekend and could top 200K, while Minna no Golf 5 ends up 160-180K on the chart because the system is still owned predominantly by the eager buying hardcore. It should have good legs though and become PS3's biggest selling title so far.

The Minna no Golf 5 bundle not selling well is bad news. This is one of the console's biggest titles and if it fails to sell significant hardware PS3 faces even more of a struggle.

Good Taiko no Tatsujin sales, impressive to see it already selling out. The Namco part of Bandai Namco is still just as bad as ever at estimating demand. Oblivion is doing well for what it is, and Gundam MS 0079 has okay numbers, both could make 100K+ LTDs.

GTA seems to be losing popularity everywhere. I don't think GTA IV will manage the numbers 3 and its sequels did, even by the end of the generation and even if it sees a release on Wii.

I think it is more a userbase problem: to all people that think that GTA IV will sell as their predecessors on console, fix in mind that there is not enough userbase. Same for Halo 3. Thelong term is what matters.
But, anyway, I would not say "decline" of the franchise. The userbase, again, is what matters.

MasterMFauli said:
If Wii gets a brand new GTA-game that would be quite fair. If Wii gets just a port of a former GTA, wow, what a surprise that´d be if that wouldnt sell great, eh? *sigh*

Don't dream too much.. The Wii will NOT have a single GTA-game in my opinion, exactly like no a single Metal Gear or Devil May Cry or Monster Hunter. I simply don't see this happening.

Defuser said:
What? Dewy is a bomba?After all the GAF wankage, I see it flop? * head explodes*
No wonder Konami is supporting PS3 semi-heavily.

The typical excuse Third Parties will take to not develop good and not-kiddish games for Wii.
But I thought that Dewy was not that bad after all....or not ?

Mithos Yggdrasil said:
But I thought that Dewy was not that bad after all....or not ?

For me, it's more that Dewy's Adventure showed somee effort put into Wii titles: It's presentation, especially the art style, visuals and technical effects thrown in. Lots of stuff going onscreen, normal mapping, huge environments, the whole shebang. I heard it controleld kind of wanky though

1. While I am disappointed that Dewy's Adventure sold bad, I cannot say it's a surprise or any ways "not a success". Konami ReALLY should have known better than to release such a children's game out to the public. Especially when that public is taking a liking to different types of games these days, it was just a bad business decision.

If they had used that graphics engine for something else (Dewy was a very beautiful title) more suited to the Wii audience, it would have been a bigger shsame. But I'm not worried about Dewy's bad sales.

2. Before we label doom and gloom for Minna no golf (PS3), I know ethel has a list of past Minna No Golf sales, but can we find out what was the userbase of the system at the time of the 1st, second week and LTD sales?

It would be wrong to piss over EXCELLENT PS3 software sales for the week (for Minna) just because it sold half of previous golf titles. It still has DRAMATICALLY less than half of the PS2/PSX userbase.

3. What is Taiko no Tatsujin?

4. With the great first day sales of MP8, Minna no Golf, Oblivion, Taiko no Tatsu, GTA and such guaranteeing a diverse Top 20 at least, how many of the FAMOUS FIVE do you guys think will be able to penetrate the MC Top 20 this week?

Animal Crossing, NSMB, BA2, Pokemon and Mario Kart DS might be kicked out this week, but I have a feeling if anything BA2 and NSMB will still be able to sit there.

5. To Masklinn.... no

sphinx

the piano man
Hey everybody! let's not discuss shinobi's reports! let's turn this thread into " GTA on Wii: yay or nay "! :lol fun times ahead!!

ki/oon said:
First day numbers :

-Mario Party 8 and MnGolf 5 both sell over 100K.
-MP8 numbers are 3 times higher than MP7 first day numbers.
-MnGolf 5 numbers are about half the MnGolf 4 first day numbers.
-"Beginner's pack" (Mng 5 + PS3) hasn't sold much.
-Oblivion (XBox 360) : 35K (better than Trusty Bell's 30K)
-Taiko no Tatsujin DS : 50K (some places are sold out already, new shipment only end of august)
-Gundam MS 0079 Wii : 30K
-Metal Gear anniversary box : 15K
-GTA Liberty City Stories : 20K

Oblivion is a sleeper hit, nice! Should have released a bundle, lol. Also, I bet the Ps3 version is coming soon now because of this. 360, wii, and ps3 should ge tbig bumps this week.

Bebpo

Banned
I think the idea that people will buy systems for 1 game doesn't really count when you're talking about $600 purchases.

No PS3 game will magically spur 100k sales (I doubt even FFXIII would) at $600.

Instead Sony will need to build up a strong library of AAA titles that sell well software-wise in Japan so that when they price drop the system Japanese consumers will see an affordable system + a bunch of games that appeal to them and feel like the purchase is justified. That's when hardware sales should take off to the 40-50k levels.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Bebpo said:
I think the idea that people will buy systems for 1 game doesn't really count when you're talking about $600 purchases.
Isn't that the remaining argument those with Sony goggles steadfastly hold on to? Even after Gundam, VF5, Ninja Gaiden, etc...

Bebpo

Banned
Pureauthor said:

uhh...if the system gets to the point where it consistently sells 40-50k every week for its lifetime, it'll do quite well. You don't need 100k weekly sales to do ok in the Japan market.

XiaNaphryz said:
Isn't that the remaining argument those with Sony goggles steadfastly hold on to? Even after Gundam, VF5, Ninja Gaiden, etc...

Isn't that the main thing Sony critiques complain about? The FIVE-HUNDRED-AND-NINETY-NINE DOLLARS? That it cuts off the casual consumer market and turns videogaming into a small niche instead of giving it the broad appeal it should have?

Bebpo said:
uhh...if the system gets to the point where it consistently sells 40-50k every week for its lifetime, it'll do quite well. You don't need 100k weekly sales to do ok in the Japan market.

Yes, 40-50K was considered average in the Japanese market prior to the DS, unless I've got my facts wrong. The point is that 'taking off' to 'average' seems... well, you know.

DarkMehm

Pureauthor said:
Yes, 40-50K was considered average in the Japanese market prior to the DS, unless I've got my facts wrong. The point is that 'taking off' to 'average' seems... well, you know.

Your facts are wrong. ^^ Prior to the DS, 40-50k was really good and far better than average. The PS2 got to 20,5 million mostly with 40-50k weeks.

DarkMehm

There is a difference between the average of sales numbers and average sales numbers. The latter sounds rather negative.

felipeko said:
X360 does have a particularly high tie ratio in the US, and at least for the rest of this year its userbase will be significantly higher than Wii. So unless a multiplatform game is particularly strong on Wii for some reason, X360 has the advantage.
Bebpo said:
Instead Sony will need to build up a strong library of AAA titles that sell well software-wise in Japan so that when they price drop the system Japanese consumers will see an affordable system + a bunch of games that appeal to them and feel like the purchase is justified. That's when hardware sales should take off to the 40-50k levels.
The same (potential) advantages the PSP had. Considering the slow start and that the portable market is now stronger than the home market, it seems to me a resurgent PS3 would still have trouble matching PSP, let alone besting it.

Linkup

Pureauthor said:

Impressive?

Yes, but saying that hitting 40-50k would be an excellent sales surge still feels surreal for a Playstation product, you know?

It's kinda like setting a low bar.

But it'd still be good, nonetheless.

Jiggy

LanceStern said:
4. With the great first day sales of MP8, Minna no Golf, Oblivion, Taiko no Tatsu, GTA and such guaranteeing a diverse Top 20 at least, how many of the FAMOUS FIVE do you guys think will be able to penetrate the MC Top 20 this week?

Animal Crossing, NSMB, BA2, Pokemon and Mario Kart DS might be kicked out this week, but I have a feeling if anything BA2 and NSMB will still be able to sit there.
If you're counting Pokemon as one game, I think it's safe to say that they would make it; if they were on the lower end, though, we'd never be able to tell they made it just from Media Create data. If you're counting Pokemon as two--well, you can't be, because that would change your label into the Famous Six. >_>

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
artredis1980 said:
Sony has SOLD 4.8 million consoles worldwide, not shipped. They are aiming for 14.5 million by March 2008?? thats 9 months, 10 million consoles, 1 million worldwide per month is a stretch.

http://play.tm/story/12089

They haven't sold anywhere near 4.8 million consoles worldwide.

Stop and think for a minute; 1 million flat in Japan, ~1.6 million in North America. These are facts. The only wildcards are Europe/other, and so unless you believe that somehow the PS3 has sold 37% more than North America despite the mother****er of an exchange rate and despite the fact that the PS3 launched in Europe in March, the PS3 has not sold 4.8 million.

It's substantially more likely that they've sold about 1.1-1.3 million in Europe/other, putting them a smidge below 4 million.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Stumpokapow said:

Stop and think for a minute; 1 million flat in Japan, ~1.6 million in North America. These are facts. The only wildcards are Europe/other, and so unless you believe that somehow the PS3 has sold 37% more than North America despite the mother****er of an exchange rate and despite the fact that the PS3 launched in Europe in March, the PS3 has not sold 4.8 million.

It's substantially more likely that they've sold about 1.1-1.3 million in Europe/other, putting them a smidge below 4 million.

In fact I believe Sony had a P.R after May saying they had sold 1M in PAL regions (presumably including Australia) so yeah...they aren't close to 4.6M.

sphinx

the piano man
Hardware - This Week | Last Week | YTD | LTD
1. NDS - 154,504 | 141,982 | 4,407,290 | 18,412,969
2. WII - 86,786 | 109,854 | 2,226,771 | 3,146,414
3. PSP - 32,894 | 37,578 | 1,186,565 | 5,718,694
4. PS2 - 14,059 | 15,777 | 464,329 | 20,619,188
5. PS3 - 12,187 | 13,493 | 531,302 | 988,860
6. 360 - 2,664 | 2,942 | 126,559 | 391,261
7. GBA - 461 | 432 | 42,298 | 15,340,377
8. NGC - 131 | 106 | 8,830 | 4,178,298

could this week's lower sales be due to people waiting for the MnG5 bundle?

laserbeam

Banned
sphinx said:

Word is the bundle is not selling well so its hard to say. there has to be some sort of bump though this week or its just a total disasater.

Dewy bombing pretty much tells us that the Wii crowd is not made of kids. Nintendo is really catering to the mums and dads. Either that or Konami just sucks at marketing. Or both. I really hoped Dewy done well because it seemed like Konami actually tried on this one, I think they just went about it the wrong way.

Look no one can say if GTA will sell on the Wii or not, it's not there yet. Third party is really unpredictable at this point, because there isn't many to go by on.

Taiko no Tatsujin resupply end of August? WTF are they doing -_-

Does anyone have numbers for any previous Gundam games for GC if there is any?

Stumpokapow said:

He's a junior. Why are you surprised ? Anyway, you're right. Numbers cannot change only when we want.

sphinx said:

If next week PS3 will not sell at least 30k (and it's still a small number !), I don't see how Sony could manage to reach next year (the year where BIG games come out) with possibility > 0 to make the console a success.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Bebpo said:
Isn't that the main thing Sony critiques complain about? The FIVE-HUNDRED-AND-NINETY-NINE DOLLARS? That it cuts off the casual consumer market and turns videogaming into a small niche instead of giving it the broad appeal it should have?
I was just referring to the recent "MNG5 will begin the turnaround in Japan!" posts we were saying in the last week or two.
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
If next week PS3 will not sell at least 30k (and it's still a small number !), I don't see how Sony could manage to reach next year (the year where BIG games come out) with possibility > 0 to make the console a success.
I always forget, are bundle sales counted with software, hardware, or both?

milanbaros

Member?
artredis1980 said:
Sony has SOLD 4.8 million consoles worldwide, not shipped. They are aiming for 14.5 million by March 2008?? thats 9 months, 10 million consoles, 1 million worldwide per month is a stretch.

http://play.tm/story/12089

Unless you know what you are talking about I would strongly advise staying out of these threads. The posters on sales age doesn't allow mistakes of any kind, especially not ones with numbers in. It can get tedious but it does mean that gaf probably has the most accurate data, analysis etc on the web.

test_account

XP-39C²
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
He's a junior. Why are you surprised ? Anyway, you're right. Numbers cannot change only when we want.

Junior status only shows how many posts you have so why does it matter if hes a junior? Or do you automaticly get wiser after you have posted 250 posts (or what the junior limit is)? Hehe :p

Top Bottom