• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 7/2 - 7/8

Last week, it came in at around 15 minutes from now so any moment now indeed.

edit: oh wait, it came out 2 minutes ago last week but the 'any moment now' statement still stands.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The Friendly Monster said:
Yup. There's a couple of my problems with it further up. I didn't say I wanted a direct sequel to the Wind Waker in the same style instead of Twilight Princess. I just feel that the negative feedback surrounding WW, particularly before it came out, was not only unwarranted, but also served to restrain the creativity allowed on Twilight Princess. I feel this is regrettable.

Oh, well nevermind then.

I don't really think it's possible, or useful to compare these titles in this way.

Why not?

Segata Sanshiro said:
:lol It's an incredibly non-obvious reference, and scant hours later I'm not sure what I was thinking. Annnnyway, you were hoping for 400k sales of DQS, when the shipment was only 350k. Thus your hope was impossible, and you were "dreaming the impossible dream", which is the main song from "Man of La Mancha".

Man, I don't even know sometimes.

Ah, gotcha! In my defense, I didn't know that they only shipped 350k units. But it's coo, I still lurvs you, Segata. <3

F

Firesprite121984

Unconfirmed Member
I liked Wind Waker more. :S

For my bro though Twilight Princess was the first Zelda he's ever completed. The only thing that held WW back was the Triforce quest at the end. Everything else about the game was inspiring. The art style gave it a sense of soul that I think TP lacked.

I felt Links worry about leaving his grandmother alone. TP had some of the most expressive realistic faces I've seen in any game, but it still felt a hell of a lot more phoned in then it did in WW.

Both were great games, I just personally liked WW a hell of a lot more.

Christopher

Firesprite121984 said:
I liked Wind Waker more. :S

For my bro though Twilight Princess was the first Zelda he's ever completed. The only thing that held WW back was the Triforce quest at the end. Everything else about the game was inspiring. The art style gave it a sense of soul that I think TP lacked.

I felt Links worry about leaving his grandmother alone. TP had some of the most expressive realistic faces I've seen in any game, but it still felt a hell of a lot more phoned in then it did in WW.

Both were great games, I just personally liked WW a hell of a lot more.

TP lacked emotion, memorable characters, and good music.

WW was awesome in all those mentioned above.

Sharp

When I listen to your comments, then I go back and actually play the game, it's very difficult to understand what the hell you guys are talking about. The only thing I'd agree on is that the music isn't that good, at least not for a Zelda game, though there are still a few fantastic tracks. It's also too easy, but that's not exactly something Wind Waker remedied.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
bmf said:
Midna was awesome.

The Midna/Link dynamic is the best part of TP and no other Zelda really comes close. The rest of the game... leaves something to be desired.

donny2112

ethelred said:
Here's kinda an interesting little thing I noticed.

Sometimes people write off Dragon Quest Swords -- "it's Dragon Quest, of course it's selling" (nevermind that it's selling well even within the context of being a Dragon Quest game, a point I've made far too frequently now).

But then it seems like they turn around and say "Of course the PS3's not selling yet -- wait for Final Fantasy XIII." The implication seems to be something along the lines of: it's okay for the PS3's success to hinge on a major franchise, but any major franchise that sees success on another platform is inconsequential, expected, and an irrelevancy to publishers and analysis.

It seems a little odd to me.

We don't take kindly to a thinking-man's analysis here 'round these parts.

Thank you for the insight. :)

Xeke said:
Mario Kart DS is still in the top 20 regularly and sometimes in the top 10 on slow weeks. It released over a year a half ago.

December 2005. Week before Animal Crossing, IIRC. It had dropped out of the top 30 for most of 2006 (I think), but it stormed back around New Year's and has been consistently in the top 30 for 2007.

Halycon said:
The Midna/Link dynamic is the best part of TP and no other Zelda really comes close. The rest of the game... leaves something to be desired.
There is more to it than that tough. I'd have to think about it a bit and put my thoughts in order to really elaborate, but the only thing that I thought was missing was a real sense of awe and wonderment.

Some people complain about the lack of orchestrated music, but I don't think they understand what the received instead. The music in TP was not just a loop, but a branching loop. There were very large numbers of loops available in the game, and they all had branching points that let them seamlessly transition into other loops depending on how the situation changed. It was an amazing musical and technical achievement, and not one that I think is even possible with an orchestrated soundtrack.

Christopher

bmf said:
There is more to it than that tough. I'd have to think about it a bit and put my thoughts in order to really elaborate, but the only thing that I thought was missing was a real sense of awe and wonderment.

Some people complain about the lack of orchestrated music, but I don't think they understand what the received instead. The music in TP was not just a loop, but a branching loop. There were very large numbers of loops available in the game, and they all had branching points that let them seamlessly transition into other loops depending on how the situation changed. It was an amazing musical and technical achievement, and not one that I think is even possible with an orchestrated soundtrack.

I really don't give a **** about orchestrated music, the composition sucked. ALTTP still has some of my favoirte tunes, and I even enjoyed some WW tunes. TP was just so bland - yuck.

I agree Midna was awesome...but other characters didn't give it that spark either, I can't remember anyone outside of the Snow Yetti. While I can remember some great memorable characters from OoT, WW, MM ect...

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Zelda titles have never meant to go out of their way to frustrate you with difficulty. The only difficult areas that have ever happened are through puzzles alone, not monster/boss fights at all.

speedpop said:
Zelda titles have never meant to go out of their way to frustrate you with difficulty. The only difficult areas that have ever happened are through puzzles alone, not monster/boss fights at all.
Well, Zelda 1 and 2 were both kind of rough at times.

Sharp

Christopher said:
I really don't give a **** about orchestrated music, the composition sucked. ALTTP still has some of my favoirte tunes, and I even enjoyed some WW tunes. TP was just so bland - yuck.

I agree Midna was awesome...but other characters didn't give it that spark either, I can't remember anyone outside of the Snow Yetti. While I can remember some great memorable characters from OoT, WW, MM ect...
Not even Malo? Come on. You have to remember Malo.

Christopher said:

Maybe you're just getting old. Maybe I'm just getting old. Maybe the sense of awe and wonderment was there, but I just can't experience it anymore.

As for memorable characters, there were plenty. Agitha with all the bugs. The woman who ran the pub. Ilia who had a crush on Link and tended his horse. Malo who ran a shop in Kakariko village, and eventually opened the awesome new shop in Castle town run by some guy who's name I can't remember, but who was none the less awesome (and that shop had the most awesome music in the game). The old Goron with little volcano's on his back. The prince of the Zora's saddened by his mothers death. The guy with the cannon at the bottom of lake hylia.

There were great and memorable characters in this game.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
I thought Twilight Princess had some fantastic scores myself. Midna's Theme, Don't Want You No More, Hyrule Field (@ Night), and Midna's Desperate Hour were some of my favorites.

I'd go so far as to say I thought it had some of the best musical scores I've heard in recent years.

TP was my first Zelda and the sense of wonderment and awe was at full blast. I LOVE the wolf singing part and the subsequent animation. TP basically told me that console action adventures can be thrilling and wonderful, not boring like I find other games in prior consoles.

My favourite character design was the main enemy, love the sleeves on him! I also thought the Twilis were fantastic. I also loved the design of the queen of those water creatures.

All this talk makes me want to replay it again.

vanguardian1 said:
I thought Twilight Princess had some fantastic scores myself. Midna's Theme, Don't Want You No More, Hyrule Field (@ Night), and Midna's Desperate Hour were some of my favorites.

I'd go so far as to say I thought it had some of the best musical scores I've heard in recent years.
In recent years? Maybe you missed Kameo, SotC, Civ IV, Age of Empires III, Viva Pinata and a few other brilliant OSTs done right.

laserbeam

Banned
super funk said:
And I bet hes one of them peoples that like that Wii Fit game!

Thats just unfairly cruel. What the hell did Wiifit do to you to deserve to be put in the same company as Sonic PS360

Sagitario

Christopher said:

159fs922895.jpg

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Christopher said:

I kind of agree, but the thing going for TP is good gameplay. It was fun to play and progress through, while WW was incredibly boring regularly. I used to love games solely for their great art style, and I still give WW the props for that, but in the end it's the gameplay that truly counts, and Wind Waker's is just... meh.

Christopher

AniHawk said:
Don't mind Christopher. He enjoyed Sonic PS360.

:lol shut up - I midly enjoyed it.

And I bet hes one of them peoples that like that Wii Fit game!

Sorry I go to the gym - and I like videogames :\

But I honestly hope PH keeps the Zelda faith in Japan alive!

In the end, I do agree with Christopher on TP vs WW in the character department. I can probably name the location of every single character in WW, but I cant even think of more than 10 good character from TP off the top of my head. And that my friends, is why Wind Waker rocks.

Twilight Princess was my second LoZ, and it was good.

Apparently I suck at games, because I got stuck on several of the puzzles. But I thought the whole design was good.

The colors were a little bland. Reminded me of the "Real is brown" thing next-gen has going thus far.

I was pissed I didn't get to get the last Poe. I was missing one and no FAQ could help me, and I don't have the patience to go back one by one anymore. : / It's kinda gay they only appear at night.

I do miss the color and design of Wind Waker, but TP felt a little more epic, for some reason.

The boss fights, save the first, were excellent. They manner in which you fell each boss is awesome. They just need to be a little more aggressive.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
evilromero said:
In recent years? Maybe you missed Kameo, SotC, Civ IV, Age of Empires III, Viva Pinata and a few other brilliant OSTs done right.

For some reason I grew sick of Civ4's music, but that's more likely because I played it too much. ;)

I can't recall any music from AOE3 though. Never played any of the others, they never appealed to me.

Anyways, can anyone who's played Phantom Hourglass tell us how the music fares? :)

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Christopher said:

WW didnt have a single memorable character (except maybe tetra and in the second half she was non-existant), WW music is about as good as TP (pretty bad). WW did have more charm than TP but then again, WW had crappy dungeons while TP has some of the best level design I've ever seen in a Zelda game.

I dont get the sudden hate for TP I thought it was an extremely good game and the best 3d Zelda imo (note not my favorite but I reckon the level design is ACE so that puts it on top in my list). I guess some people were expecting jesus or something, thankfully I wasnt. I was expecting a good Zelda game and got a great one.

vanguardian1 said:
For some reason I grew sick of Civ4's music, but that's more likely because I played it too much. ;)

I can't recall any music from AOE3 though. Never played any of the others, they never appealed to me.

Anyways, can anyone who's played Phantom Hourglass tell us how the music fares? :)
Sounds very similar to WW. I can hear my girl playing it sometimes and I noticed the sailing theme is very similar to that of WW's.

Christopher

Error said:
I dont get the sudden hate for TP I thought it was an extremely good game and the best 3d Zelda imo (note not my favorite but I reckon the level design is ACE so that puts it on top in my list). I guess some people were expecting jesus or something, thankfully I wasnt. I was expecting a good Zelda game and I got a great one.

Case in point, you have horrible taste Error.

Jokeropia

Twilight Princess was amazing and most people here actually agree with acknowledge that. Remember what won GAF 2006 GOTY awards by a large margin?

jarrod

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
I blame the NES game's difficulties on technical limitations. Doing simple things was more difficult in those games.
Yeah, it was "technical limitations" that made navigating a room of 10 blue iron knucles difficult. :lol

F

Firesprite121984

Unconfirmed Member
Christopher said:

I can't agree with this much.

I thought the world of WW was incredible, the characters emoted in ways most games can't come close too, but the characters in TP were more interesting. The spaced out bug princess, the short shorts wearing mailman, Midna, Telma hell I even liked Zant.

When it comes to characters TP has WW beat. In almost everything TP has WW beat... except for soul. WW just illicited a different feeling to me then TP. Twilight Princess was great... it just lacked that little something extra.

Top Bottom