• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media-Create Sales: Apr 27-May 3

botticus

charlequin said:
If true, I would probably have to impugn the intelligence of Nintendo's development decision-makers even more than I already do for just forgetting to release any games for six months.
Yeah, it doesn't make much sense to assume that third parties will be filling up your release schedule when there is zero history of this occurring. It's all well and good to hope for that, but it would be very stupid to base your development schedule around it.

I'm guessing another ~5000 sales again this week for Valkyria. I really didn't think it would stick around so well even with the anime.

Great job though. Fully deserved.

botticus said:
Yeah, it doesn't make much sense to assume that third parties will be filling up your release schedule when there is zero history of this occurring. It's all well and good to hope for that, but it would be very stupid to base your development schedule around it.

Nintendo always does this though. It happened with the DS, Cube, and N64, and those are just the ones I remember.

Nintendo releases software in bunches at first to give it its land legs, then scales back development and generally third parties take over. They did this with the DS (in fact I remember a thread that stated that Nintendo was scaling back DS releases to focus on Wii, and as usual it turned into a bitchfest that actually died down quickly because there were still 3rd party games to buy).

The only major difference between the DS and Wii in this regard is as markatisu said; while Brain Age and Nintendogs floated the DS, Wii Music and AC: CF didn't, which made the third party drought the Wii suffered from look that much worse.

The NA situation (different market I know, but the principle still applies) plays to this as well; Nintendo assumed that their earlier barrage would have carried them through until next year, the bitching started en masse (and in turn was fueled by Nintendo themselves, recall the "Core gamers are insatiable" comments?) then produced a Q4 with Wii Music and City Folk as their big titles.

What released from third Parties of note? Shy of CoD: WaW, I can't really recall much. the Nintendo drought then (and now, in Japan) wouldn't have been maligned even half as much as it has been if Nintendo either:

Had 3rd parties filling in the schedule
Had titles that managed to carry them through thin periods to the degree that the mega DS hits did.

Nobody in these threads was bitching when Nintendo was pulling in 40K a week just off the back of Wii Fit, and the release schedule was still thin.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
botticus said:

If the mid to late 2009 3rd party lineup was a year earlier, I think Nintendo would have been fine. There is a decent amount of support coming, but its coming way too late.

Busaiku

DeaconKnowledge said:
The only major difference between the DS and Wii in this regard is as markatisu said; while Brain Age and Nintendogs floated the DS, Wii Music and AC: CF didn't, which made the third party drought the Wii suffered from look that much worse.
Wii Fit and Mario Kart are certainly carrying it though.

Busaiku said:
Wii Fit and Mario Kart are certainly carrying it though.

In NA most assuredly. However the "hardcore" were still crowing about being neglected, because let's face it, core gamers ARE insatiable.

In Japan, it's a different case. City Folk and Music aren't carrying the Wii to the degree that the DS hits did, and with such a thin 3rd party release schedule, the incentive to buy Wii is based solely on what's already been released, and what's in the future. Wii in Japan is in a holding pattern right now, and i'm willing to bet that Nintendo gambled (and lost) on the idea of third parties showing more support than they have by this point.

markatisu

DeaconKnowledge said:
What released from third Parties of note? Shy of CoD: WaW, I can't really recall much. the Nintendo drown then (and now, in Japan)

I know people like to bash third parties but Nintendo did have some help in other regions:

GHWT and sustained sales of RB1, Shaun White Snowboarding, NERF, Jillian Fitness alongside CoD WaW kept the business going off the back of Wii Fit and Mario Kart, and My Fitness Coach and Lego Star Wars (2 years running) stepped up to fill the void quite nicely from Jan-Mar.

Third parties regardless of how poor quality or commercially compared to the HD twins benefited and at least patched the void in the US and EU, that is far different than the barren wasteland of JP

So their idea worked in 2/3 of the world

markatisu said:
I know people like to bash third parties but Nintendo did have some help in other regions:

GHWT and sustained sales of RB1, Shaun White Snowboarding, NERF, Jillian Fitness alongside CoD WaW kept the business going off the back of Wii Fit and Mario Kart, and My Fitness Coach and Lego Star Wars (2 years running) stepped up to fill the void quite nicely from Jan-Mar.

Third parties regardless of how poor quality or commercially compared to the HD twins benefited and at least patched the void in the US and EU, that is far different than the barren wasteland of JP

So their idea worked in 2/3 of the world

I legitimately couldn't remember what released, but yes, I agree totally.

I don't participate in these threads very much but I do check them out almost every week and I always wonder why I never see any discussion on the state of DS software? The hardware is still moving admirably but I can remember when even seemingly minor DS releases would debut with first weeks in the six figure range and the top 1-10 was all DS. I know that the PSP has taken back some of the handheld market and piracy may be eating into sales somewhat but it still doesn't account for what seems like a huge dropoff (at least in the top 30) for DS software.

botticus said:
Yeah, it doesn't make much sense to assume that third parties will be filling up your release schedule when there is zero history of this occurring

and you are extremely terrible at third-party relations

DeaconKnowledge said:
Nobody in these threads was bitching when Nintendo was pulling in 40K a week just off the back of Wii Fit, and the release schedule was still thin.

Right, because their strategy was working. One shouldn't let one's mouth write checks their ass can't cash.

And don't flip this around to a "who could know that Wii Music would bomb" thing. The fact that Wii Music fails to deliver on a desirable expanded-market premise the way that Wii Sports and Wii Fit do was clear to plenty of people the day they announced it. They just fucked up and their software strategy is 100% dependent on every single expanded-market idea they have being solid-gold genius, when clearly they can really only deliver like 75% solid-gold genius. :lol

Vinci

Danish
DeaconKnowledge said:
The NA situation (different market I know, but the principle still applies) plays to this as well; Nintendo assumed that their earlier barrage would have carried them through until next year, the bitching started en masse (and in turn was fueled by Nintendo themselves, recall the "Core gamers are insatiable" comments?) then produced a Q4 with Wii Music and City Folk as their big titles.

I'd like to make one comment on this: They may not be selling poorly in NA, but they as hell should be IMO. NOA has done an absolutely horrible job of getting content out here. Know what would have helped in the drought upon seeing 3rd parties are dragging ass?

/insert JP and EU only list of games

Yeah, there's over half a dozen or so that never came out here. Disaster and FF are only a couple of particularly glaring exemptions from our release schedule. And you know what? It's dumb as shit. They could have easily been released here as filler during a time period when they realize things are going to be slowing down, but they haven't done that.

This is the #1 market for the Wii in the world and they're withholding content from us? Are they out of their minds?

By and large, I think Nintendo made some really smart decisions at the start of this gen but they have been ignorant as hell with their follow-through.

/rant

oneHeero

Just throwing it out there, could the wii be selling less because it has sold so many already?

I mean come on, the Wii shattered records everywhere, its not going to sell at a constant rate like some of you fanboys might hope for. Can it do better? Fuck yea, does it need to at this exact time? No. Sony isnt releasing anything, MS isnt releasing anything, shit if anything Nintendo has held a nice steady ground throughout this year without giving up much ground to the other 2.

Even when Nintendo releases the next Mario or Mario Kart, etc I dont expect the Wii to do monster numbers like when it first came out. I expect a nice bump and HUGE SW numbers but thats it.

We got to realize that its possible that so many people, like the audience who wanted one has one, already have a Wii(in JP) and that it'll now hold a steady number and receive bumps when games come out. Didnt gaf already name Japan a handheld territory and that consoles are dead there?

wrowa

oneHeero said:
Just throwing it out there, could the wii be selling less because it has sold so many already?

I mean come on, the Wii shattered records everywhere, its not going to sell at a constant rate like some of you fanboys might hope for.
Abominable01.jpg

markatisu

Vinci said:
This is the #1 market for the Wii in the world and they're withholding content from us? Are they out of their minds?

AMEN, preach on brother!

Seriously, will never understand who option to hold off on Fatal Frame and Disaster was in any way a good business move.

schuelma

Don't worry everyone- I will be in Tokyo two weeks from today and will provide everyone with a succinct and insightful report as to the status of the Wii in Japan.

Expect "Schuelma's Honeymoon Report" coming your way in approximately 3 weeks*

*pending the cooperation of the future mrs. schuelma

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I think MHG is selling awesomely , dunno about you guys , for a port it's doing amazing , Wii hardware is very good too , some people might still waiting MHtri , but it's pretty good .

test_account

XP-39C²
markatisu said:
On the MH side you are left with a slightly upgraded port of a really old game that cannot work with the standard Wii controls that most people have :lol
That is true, but you also got a Monster Hunter 3 demo though :)

Vinci

Danish
test_account said:
That is true, but you also got a Monster Hunter 3 demo though :)

It's not about discounting that, it's about properly aligning the values of both products - and the actual products being purchased are FF Advent Children and MH G.

test_account

XP-39C²
Vinci said:
It's not about discounting that, it's about properly aligning the values of both products - and the actual products being purchased are FF Advent Children and MH G.
Align in what way? Which product between FF Advent Children Bluray and MH G Wii that has most value/that people would have bought the most of if the FF13 and MH3 demos were included?

Vinci

Danish
test_account said:
Align in what way? Which product between FF Advent Children Bluray and MH G Wii that has most value/that people would have bought the most of if the FF13 and MH3 demos were included?

The same as they're doing now: Advent Children on Blu-Ray. When I said 'align,' I meant in terms of removing the demos and placing it as product vs. product. The two products of these items are Advent Children and MH G. Anyone stating that AC wouldn't push the PS3's sales, in and of itself, is kidding themselves. The demo is icing to the cake.

test_account

XP-39C²
Vinci said:
The same as they're doing now: Advent Children on Blu-Ray. When I said 'align,' I meant in terms of removing the demos and placing it as product vs. product. The two products of these items are Advent Children and MH G. Anyone stating that AC wouldn't push the PS3's sales, in and of itself, is kidding themselves. The demo is icing to the cake.
Ok, i understand :) Ye, AC alone (not the FF13 demo) probably pushed the PS3 hardware some, i agre, but i wonder if the PS3 would have sold like it has done now compared to if AC didnt include the FF13 demo at all. There is a AC version for sale that doesnt include the FF13 demo as well, but i guess we dont have any numbers on how many copies each of the AC versions sold.

I wonder the sam about MHG for the Wii, i wonder on how much copies it would have sold and how the Wii hardware sales would have been if it wasnt for the MH3 demo. If most people bought MH G Wii for the MH3 demo, for the bundled controller or for the MH G game itself, or all of these things combined :)

Vinci

Danish
test_account said:
Ok, i understand :) Ye, AC alone (not the FF13 demo) probably pushed the PS3 hardware some, i agre, but i wonder if the PS3 would have sold like it has done now compared to if AC didnt include the FF13 demo at all. There is a AC version for sale that doesnt include the FF13 demo as well, but i guess we dont have any numbers on how many copies each of the AC versions sold.

There was very little difference in the price of the two versions, so there was no strong barrier to picking up the demo version.

I wonder the sam about MHG for the Wii, i wonder on how much copies it would have sold and how the Wii hardware sales would have been if it wasnt for the MH3 demo. If most people bought MH G Wii for the MH3 demo, for the bundled controller or for the MH G game itself, or all of these things combined :)

I would say that this had more to do with the demo and controller. MH G doesn't strike me as a remarkably desirable product given its history.

markatisu

Vinci said:
I would say that this had more to do with the demo and controller. MH G doesn't strike me as a remarkably desirable product given its history.

MHG does have one redeeming factor, it will be online when the PS2 version goes offline for good. But I would say the controller was more the motivating factor in purchase. MH fans tend to really go for that stuff, hence all the art books, cd's, manga, and other licensed items.

The MH3 demo while completely awesome is seriously two quests, you have next to nothing to do as you would in a real MH game (you cannot shop, you cannot use any of the items you get in the quest to make new weapons/armor, you cannot go online or even play split screen co-op which is a big draw in MH3) except for killing the two monsters in areas not all that different from MHG forest and hill zones (you can go underwater but there are like 4 dumb sea animals and no real enemies).

I could see people waiting just for the MH3 game as the demo is a severe cocktease to any real hardcore player.

With that said I think Capcom will be very happy with the sales of MHG, its trending higher than the PS2 release and if it shows any legs (due to online play) it might very well be one of the Wii's top releases.

donny2112

DeaconKnowledge said:
I honestly think Nintendo thought third party support would be better than what it was,

They said exactly this in their financial briefing. They said that their intentional plan was to push the first 1-2 years of the DS and Wii with big first party titles to build the userbase where third-party titles can sell. On the DS, it worked. On the Wii, third-parties took stupid pills.

botticus said:
Yeah, it doesn't make much sense to assume that third parties will be filling up your release schedule when there is zero history of this occurring.

DS

Saint Gregory said:
I don't participate in these threads very much but I do check them out almost every week and I always wonder why I never see any discussion on the state of DS software? The hardware is still moving admirably but I can remember when even seemingly minor DS releases would debut with first weeks in the six figure range and the top 1-10 was all DS.

I've discussed it some. The general Japanese software dropoff since 2007 has almost been 100% the result of the more specific DS software dropoff. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the DS isn't sold out, anymore, so people aren't waiting in line every Saturday to buy a DS and, while they're there, picking up some new games. That and not a whole lot of big stuff seems to be getting released on the DS, lately. This year, there's been Mario & Luigi 3 and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: The Third Game. Thinking about it now, I think this is Dragon Quest IX's fault. Publishers probably sought to avoid DQIX's release, so with its late delay, the schedule is kind of empty.

oneHeero said:

No.

schuelma said:
Don't worry everyone- I will be in Tokyo two weeks from today and will provide everyone with a succinct and insightful report as to the status of the Wii in Japan.

Expect "Schuelma's Honeymoon Report" coming your way in approximately 3 weeks*

Congratulations, again. :D You're going to buy a Famitsu magazine, aren't you.

Totobeni said:
Wii hardware is very good too , some people might still waiting MHtri , but it's pretty good .

Is it selling well compared to the competition? I guess.
Is it selling well? No.

Narcosis

Link said:
If the reason Nintendo hasn't released anything for months is because of M+, I think it's going to end up being a big waste of time for them. Most third parties aren't going to even bother to support it (especially in Japan), it's going to split the userbase like any other accessory, and I honestly don't see interest in the Wii being resparked because of it.

All it did was take a bad situation for Nintendo and made it worse.

Motion+ though is something that's more akin to a sensitivity setting than a whole new way of using the controls, most games will likely have it used as an on/off feature, not some truly divisive you-either-have-it-or-you-can't-play-the-game accessory.

markatisu

Narcosis said:
Motion+ though is something that's more akin to a sensitivity setting than a whole new way of using the controls, most games will likely have it used as an on/off feature, not some truly divisive you-either-have-it-or-you-can't-play-the-game accessory.

Yup, right now WSR is the only one that requires M+. Every other game announced can be played without (Grand Slam Tennis even works to even the field between those who have M+ when they play those who do not), Red Steel 2 might be the only other one to require it

Problem with Japan is right now WSR is the only big game for the region, the US and EU have considerably stronger M+ lineups

So is the Wii genuinely slowing down, or is this just a "Wow, 200k, remember in 09 when it only sold 15k average Lulz". I wonder if the other continents will start to slow down too. Then again, they have a price cut up their sleeve.

pseudocaesar said:
So is the Wii genuinely slowing down, or is this just a "Wow, 200k, remember in 09 when it only sold 15k average Lulz".
Wii will go back up when there's software coming out for it. No one knows for sure if it will go back up as high as it used to be, and if they say they do they're scamming you. My guess, though, would be "Yes, it will basically go all the way back up to where it was."

test_account

XP-39C²
Vinci said:
There was very little difference in the price of the two versions, so there was no strong barrier to picking up the demo version.
Wasnt the version of AC with the FF13 demo 1000 yen (about 10 US dollars) more expencive than the AC version that didnt inlcude the FF13 demo? If yes, although it isnt exacly that much money, it is still some money, at least in my opinion, but i guess that "very little" can be relative though :) But ye, i agree that the pric difference isnt really that big and that i dont see too many reasons to not get the AC version that includes the FF13 version, especially if you are a Final Fantasy fan.

Vinci said:
Ye, i think so too. I also wonder if MH G Wii can be a selling point in itself. I mean, there are probably several of people who first started with MHP2G for the PSP and like the game very much. Maybe they want to check out a console Monster Hunter as well, and then MH G Wii is probably the console MH game that it is easiest to find for sale right now :)

Tenbatsu

Capcom will be very happy with the sales for MHG. Bring on MH2 Dos! This time round with more Classic Controller bundle!

What's impressed me with MHG is the visuals. Game is output in 480p and it actually fill up the whole HD TV screen like a HD game.

markatisu

Tenbatsu said:
Capcom will be very happy with the sales for MHG. Bring on MH2 Dos! This time round with more Classic Controller bundle!

What's impressed me with MHG is the visuals.

Yeah MHG looks great, it's much brighter then MH3 and some of the areas look beautiful despite it's age. I would not mind another MH port from PSP to Wii even after MH3, if for no other reason then to use the CC

schuelma

I have a feeling the MH G bundle is/was pretty supply constrained.

Hmm...pretty different between Famitsu and Media Create.

Either way it looks as if Monster Hunter G performed at or possibly a little beyond expectations as it will definately past the 200k mark. Remember people it was a 3rd release of a PS2 game.

Grimmy

Banned
Saint Gregory said:
I don't participate in these threads very much but I do check them out almost every week and I always wonder why I never see any discussion on the state of DS software? The hardware is still moving admirably but I can remember when even seemingly minor DS releases would debut with first weeks in the six figure range and the top 1-10 was all DS. I know that the PSP has taken back some of the handheld market and piracy may be eating into sales somewhat but it still doesn't account for what seems like a huge dropoff (at least in the top 30) for DS software.

Don't worry, it'll come roaring back this summer. The DS is literally without peer for the next few months, what with huge hitters like Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, Gyakuten Kenji and Dragon Quest IX. PSP has only minor titles like Yuusha30, Hatsune Miku: Project Diva and My Summer Vacation 4. The PS3 and XB360 fare even worse, what with Dynasty Warriors 5 Empires (another one???), King of Fighters XII and Agarest Senki Zero (PS3) and Gears of War 2 (XB360). The Wii comes in dead last, since until end of July thee's only GC re-issues like Metroid Prime 2 and Chibi-Robo and Arc Rise Fantasia. Ugh.

The dog days of summer, indeed.

RyuKanSan

bttb said:
Famitsu Sales: 04/27 - 05/03

DSL 7400
DSi 46000
PSP 49000
Wii 20000
PS3 19000
PS2 6400
360 8000

so wait, the Wii did beat the PS3?

schuelma

Grimmy said:
Don't worry, it'll come roaring back this summer. The DS is literally without peer for the next few months, what with huge hitters like Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, Gyakuten Kenji and Dragon Quest IX. PSP has only minor titles like Yuusha30, Hatsune Miku: Project Diva and My Summer Vacation 4. The PS3 and XB360 fare even worse, what with Dynasty Warriors 5 Empires (another one???), King of Fighters XII and Agarest Senki Zero (PS3) and Gears of War 2 (XB360). The Wii comes in dead last, since until end of July thee's only GC re-issues like Metroid Prime 2 and Chibi-Robo and Arc Rise Fantasia. Ugh.

The dog days of summer, indeed.

You forgot about Wii Sports Resort in June.

Top Bottom