• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Aug 10-16, 2009

Frillen said:
DSi 87,936
Wii 47,732
PSP 39,882
Xbox 360 9,162
DS Lite 7,921
PS3 5,944
PS2 4,907
Those at <10k have some serious differences with Famitsu.

I'm not sure why 360 is so high, but at least in amazon there was a 360 SKU sitting #1 most of the week. I'm not sure if it was a pricecut, new stock, new SKU or what, but it isn't normal for a 360 SKU to appear in the top25, not to say #1.

bttb said:
Famitsu First Day Sales (08/20)

[PS2] Melty Blood: Actress Again (Ecole Software) - LE 14,000 (55%) / SE 13,000 (55%)
[PSP] Ookami Kakushi (Konami) - 13,000 (38%)
No sinobi update yet so it's difficult to compare them. Anyway, this Melty Blood doesn't compare well to the first one although that's the only Ecole Software title in garaph. Well, they will have 2 now. Dunno about the Konami one, going by Wikipedia its one of those obscure visual novel from a guy of Higurashi fame. New IP it seems.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
bttb said:
Dengeki Sales: 08/10 - 08/16
- Dragon Quest VII (PS1) sold 3.595M in the same 6-week period (LTD = 3.895M).
The LTD number from dengeki is the same with the LTD number from famitsu. So famitsu didn't undertrack the game (unless they both undertracked it...). This proves what cvx said. There must be around 250.000 brand new copies of Dragon Quest VII for PS1 at the Japanese retailers. Wow.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Those at <10k have some serious differences with Famitsu.

I'm not sure why 360 is so high, but at least in amazon there was a 360 SKU sitting #1 most of the week. I'm not sure if it was a pricecut, new stock, new SKU or what, but it isn't normal for a 360 SKU to appear in the top25, not to say #1.

Sony is clearing PS3 stocks, and obviously some shops are already running low/out of PS3s. Maybe some of the buyers pick up 360 instead?

Hammer24

Banned
Chris1964 said:
[ALL] Total software sales - 1.183.723 / 36.936.846

Could you make a comparison for HW and SW for the three weeks each:
pre-Golden Week, Golden Week, post-Golden Week
pre-Obon, Obon, post-Obon

It seems like there is a shift in significance for those holidays. Would be highly appreciated!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
T

I guess it's because of Magna Carta 2 .

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Hammer24 said:
Could you make a comparison for HW and SW for the three weeks each:
pre-Golden Week, Golden Week, post-Golden Week
pre-Obon, Obon, post-Obon

It seems like there is a shift in significance for those holidays. Would be highly appreciated!
Sure, here it is (m-create):

Hardware
Pre Golden Week / Golden Week / Post Golden Week
220.829 / 222.500 / 140.737
Pre Obon / Obon / Post Obon
254.426 / 299.341 / -

Software
Pre Golden Week / Golden Week / Post Golden Week
1.078.877 / 864.912 / 567.267
Pre Obon / Obon / Post Obon
1.476.314 / 1.183.723 / -

It's not so much a shift in significance but more the appeal of titles each holiday had.

Golden Week had this top 5:
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans
WarioWare: Do-It-Yourself
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP the Best)

and Obon this:
Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky
Friend Collection
Wii Sports Resort
Monster Hunter 3
SD Gundam G Generation: Wars

I don't think there is any comparison between them.

Hammer24

Banned
Chris1964 said:
Sure, here it is (m-create):

Thx! Highly appreciated.

It's not so much a shift in significance but more the appeal of titles each holiday had...I don't think there is any comparison between them.

Uhm, I´d say thats debatable.
For starters, IIRC in the past GW has had way more siginficance, and dev´s targeting this holiday specifically. Seems this has changed.
And on the other hand I´d say that MH, Poke, Mario, DBZ etc. aren´t too shabby either.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
markatisu said:
At the same time give credit where its due, the black system was basically pushed for the MH3 launch otherwise they would have come out with a Blue one to match WSR (like the promotion)

And WSR did not push hardware that much in its launch, remember everyone questioning Donny saying WSR would raise the baseline.

So he was questioned when WSR launched but now WSR is to be credited for its continued rise?

I'm not saying its all due to WSR, but given that Tri is down to selling less than WSR I don't know if its fair to call the increased hardware sales a 100% result of Tri.

Vinnk

sprsk said:
The name thing is something my fiancée and I have been going on and oN about for a while.

What other names did you come up with? Any boy names?

Lisa (which can be Risa), Mari and Mia were in the running. But my wife being a big Ben Folds fell went for "Sara spelled without an H"

For boys names Ken is really good if you want a name that is common in both countries. I know a kid called Eugene (in Japanese Yujin). But I am not a big fan of that name.

Thanks for all the good wishes guys. The baby and mother are doing well. But little Sara was born almost 3 weeks early and is having some trouble with Jaundice. She is under this light for treatment right now. Still, she should be coming home tomorrow evening.

p1000274med.jpg

As for getting back to sales stuff. Lots of Monster Hunter ads still being shown. Including one I haven't seen before with a group of women playing it. Not sure if it is new or not. Still, it seems either Capcom or Nintendo (whoever is paying for the ads) believes that the are some legs left in it.

Wii Sports Resort got a huge push over Obon. There was a great add with generations of family members playing it together. Obon is the time when families unite even if the kids have moved away and like golden week, all kids and many adults have an extended vacation.

Tomodachi Collection ads are ubiquitous.

markatisu

Vinnk said:
As for getting back to sales stuff. Lots of Monster Hunter ads still being shown. Including one I haven't seen before with a group of women playing it. Not sure if it is new or not. Still, it seems either Capcom or Nintendo (whoever is paying for the ads) believes that the are some legs left in it.

Well Nintendo is footing some of the bill from what we have been told, that would make sense with the women angle. Nintendo seems hell bent on attracting women this gen while the others ignore them.

Will be interesting to see if courting the female demographic will pay off in MH, I know they play the PSP game a great deal.

Vinnk

markatisu said:
Well Nintendo is footing some of the bill from what we have been told, that would make sense with the women angle. Nintendo seems hell bent on attracting women this gen while the others ignore them.

Will be interesting to see if courting the female demographic will pay off in MH, I know they play the PSP game a great deal.

Upon rewatching it it is not a group of females but one female in an online group. Still it is so rare to see a girl connected with this franchise that she was the part that stuck in my mind. Here is the ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIC0_osw-XU

schuelma said:
I think it is difficult to say the current spike is primarily because of Monster Hunter Tri given the new color and WSR's rise in numbers.

New color? Possibly. WSR? It did next to nothing when it launched so why would it do anything now?

schuelma

So thinking about the Slim launch- what is its highest ever week in Japan? Did it ever beat the 82K from its opening week? Just trying to get a sense of what is realistic.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
schuelma said:
So thinking about the Slim launch- what is its highest ever week in Japan? Did it ever beat the 82K from its opening week? Just trying to get a sense of what is realistic.
No, it hasn't. People are way too ambitious with slim launch. PS3 best weeks are:

06/11/06-12/11/06 - 81.639 (launch)
18/12/06-24/12/06 - 76.882
09/06/08-15/06/08 - 75.311 (MGS4)
25/12/06-31/12/06 - 71.727
11/12/06-17/12/06 - 70.942

So it had the best weeks during its first holiday on market and MGS4 launch. Just because the initial shipment is estimated 200k that doesn't mean it will sell out in 4 days. The only game it comes with it is Gundam. It will sell well but it's not the heavy hitter that will help PS3 sales take off.

Road

schuelma said:
No, it didn't. Closest it got was with MGS4 -- 75k.

I think a realistic and optimistic expectation is something around 40k.

And I think it's still soon to draw any conclusions on the Wii hardware.

schuelma

Chris1964 said:
I think you underestimate it a bit. I'll go with the double of that.

I'm going go in the middle and say 55-60k. I think it would be higher if it was launching with a bigger game.

Busaiku

Flying_Phoenix said:
WSR? It did next to nothing when it launched so why would it do anything now?
There was that thing Iwata said about these kinds of games affecting hardware about 2 months after their launch.

Stopsign said:
Shut up and congratulate Vinnk right now asshat. He's been a long time member of our Sales-Age crew here, and it's a joy to see him succeeding in life. We've seen him through his marriage, and now his first born daughter. He means a lot more to this community then you ever will.

I don't mean to be offensive or to come off as a troll. I don't know Vinnk but he deserves to be congratulated just as much as anyone for this amazing moment in his life.

However, I think that he should make a new thread about it (as it deserves it), because posting it here will just make the topic of this thread(sales), be about something more important(a baby). And while it is just to congratulate him, it would be better do it separately, again, not because sales are more important or to come off as a troll, the opposite really.

I also find your rudeness inappropriate, though this will be my last post on the subject since it would become a derailment over a derailment which would be dumb, as this thread is about sales.

ShadowPampers said:
I don't mean to be offensive or to come off as a troll.

Vinnk is a longtime contributor to the MC threads, having posted often weekly reports of actual game market conditions from his town in Oita Prefecture, Japan. These reports were particularly invaluable during the start of the generation when it was still uncertain how sales for each platform would pan out.

Vinnk has earned something of a home in these threads, and has previously announced his engagement, marriage, and his wife's pregnancy here. He's always been welcome to do so.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
schuelma said:

In his blog post at Famitsu.com yesterday, Inakoshi extrapolated from his shipment figure that Sony would be shipping a total of 200,000 units to domestic retailers on day one.

:/ this is pure crazy , there are still tons of phat in japan and and there are no big games for the system in September 3rd ( just new wave of PS the Best games IIRC ) , and even with their small relaunch for PS3 slim it's near impossible for them to sell 200K in entire September .

schuelma

Totobeni said:
:/ this is pure crazy , there are still tons of phat in japan and and there is no big games for the system in September 3rd ( just new wave of PS the Best games IIRC ) , even with their small relaunch for PS3 slim it's near impossible for them to sell 200K in entire September .

Gundam and ToV should both do pretty well. I agree that number seems a bit high, but I imagine they will be able to get through most of it in September.

Loudninja

Totobeni said:
:/ this is pure crazy , there are still tons of phat in japan and and there are no big games for the system in September 3rd ( just new wave of PS the Best games IIRC ) , and even with their small relaunch for PS3 slim it's near impossible for them to sell 200K in entire September .

Its still a new price though.

ShadowPampers said:
I don't mean to be offensive or to come off as a troll. I don't know Vinnk but he deserves to be congratulated just as much as anyone for this amazing moment in his life.

However, I think that he should make a new thread about it (as it deserves it), because posting it here will just make the topic of this thread(sales), be about something more important(a baby). And while it is just to congratulate him, it would be better do it separately, again, not because sales are more important or to come off as a troll, the opposite really.

I also find your rudeness inappropriate, though this will be my last post on the subject since it would become a derailment over a derailment which would be dumb, as this thread is about sales.

Sorry, I was a bit too harsh on you. I interpreted your post as "Get back on topic, we don't need any of this baby **** (censored for the baby :D) here", but in retrospect, I know you just wanted to get back to talking sales. Though as Cheese has said above, Vinnk has always shared what is going on in his life with the Media-Create threads, so this definitely isn't the first time, you can check the archives.

Edit: I think the Slim will probably sell over 60k in the first week, and eventually during the holiday help the PS3 to sell over 100k for the first time.

Vinci

Danish
Congrats, Vinnk! Beautiful girl.

Also: Don't discount WSR, MH3, or the black Wii for its increased sales. Iwata mentioned that WSR's impact on hardware wouldn't be noticeable immediately, IIRC.

Vinci said:
Congrats, Vinnk! Beautiful girl.

Also: Don't discount WSR, MH3, or the black Wii for its increased sales. Iwata mentioned that WSR's impact on hardware wouldn't be noticeable immediately, IIRC.

I'd be surprised if the Wii's baseline doesn't stay at about 30k until the holidays with the support of all of the factors you mentioned. The Wii also won't fall into an October slump this year due to the release of Wii Fit +.

Vinnk's Village Crier said:
AUGUST 2009 POPULATION BOOM

In the past week, the population of Vinnk's Village grew at an astounding rate of 50%. Jesusophile of the Mayo Clinic attributed the population boom to childbirth, a process that involves inserting a penis into a fagina. Citizens around the world posted numerous messages in approval of this news on the internets, but one detractor called the dramatic cultural shift "inappropriate."

Congrats, Vinnk!

test_account

XP-39C²
Flying_Phoenix said:
"Rabble rabble rabble, big third party games appearing on the Wii won't help sales and isn't a worthy investment, rabble rabble rabble."
I would guess that Monster Hunter 3 is one of the reasons for these Wii hardware sales, but as schuelma said, the black colored Wii and Wii Sports Resort might also be reasons for this week's Wii hardware sales. Maybe the Obon holiday also had an effect on the Wii hardware sales as well?

I think it is a bit "pity" that there are several of factors that happends at one time in this case, since then it might be harder to know which factor(s) that is the biggest reason for the increased hardware sales. If Monster Hunter 3 was the only thing that was released at this time and if Wii Sports Resort and the black colored Wii was released like 2 months after MH3, then it would be easier to see how much MH3 affected the Wii hardware sales.

But i think that the MH3 software sales are pretty good so far, and the Wii hardware sales has definitly increased after the release of MH3 :) I am curious on how the Wii hardware sales will be in the upcoming weeks and months. What is the next big titled Wii release by the way?

Vinnk said:
Thanks for all the good wishes guys. The baby and mother are doing well. But little Sara was born almost 3 weeks early and is having some trouble with Jaundice. She is under this light for treatment right now. Still, she should be coming home tomorrow evening.

http://www.risingstuff.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/p1000274med.jpg
Great to hear that the baby and the mother are doing well! :)

Cheesemeister said:
Vinnk is a longtime contributor to the MC threads, having posted often weekly reports of actual game market conditions from his town in Oita Prefecture, Japan. These reports were particularly invaluable during the start of the generation when it was still uncertain how sales for each platform would pan out.

Vinnk has earned something of a home in these threads, and has previously announced his engagement, marriage, and his wife's pregnancy here. He's always been welcome to do so.
Indeed :) If ShadowPampers didnt know who Vinnk is, then i can understand why he questioned why the baby announcment was mentioned in this thread, but Vinnk has contributed greatly to the MC threads, especially with his weekly reports on sales in his town as you say, and i also feels that he is more than welcome to announce stuff like the birth of his daughter in this thread :) Much congratulations again with the birth of your daughter, Vinnk! :)

EDIT: I added some text.

GRATZ VINNK!!!!!!

And really interesting to see that dragon quest IX was only down -6%, and wii sports resort was up 44%

Lets see how MH3 holds up, but I think that at this rhythm it will reach the 1 million mark.

BTW, isnt the FMA game just like a novel of some sorts? I heard from a friend in MSN messenger that theres no actual gameplay in it.

test_account, I think the next big Wii game is Wii Fit+ on Oct. 1st. The only other blips on the radar until then is Little King's Story in early September along with Forever Blue/Endless Ocean. There's also Valhalla Knights, Super Robot Taisen Neo, and Okami coming out in October as well.

test_account

XP-39C²
Stopsign said:
test_account, I think the next big Wii game is Wii Fit+ on Oct. 1st. The only other blips on the radar until then is Little King's Story in early September along with Forever Blue/Endless Ocean. There's also Valhalla Knights, Super Robot Taisen Neo, and Okami coming out in October as well.
Cool, thanks for the info! :) Out of these games, i am mostly curious on how Wii Fit+ will sell.

ksamedi

test_account said:
Cool, thanks for the info! :) Out of these games, i am mostly curious on how Wii Fit+ will sell.

I think it will do better than Wiifit. Is some cases sequels to big hit games do even better than the first. I think this will be one of those. It looks fun and has better workout options. The word of mouth will be pretty good.

schuelma

ksamedi said:
I think it will do better than Wiifit. Is some cases sequels to big hit games do even better than the first. I think this will be one of those. It looks fun and has better workout options. The word of mouth will be pretty good.

It's also like 2,000 yen for the standalone game.

ksamedi

schuelma said:
It's also like 2,000 yen for the standalone game.

Thats a pretty good deal for existing users and a lot of those will probably upgrade. But the gain is going to come from new users. Not that easy to do of course but what I believe will happen is that people who were on the fence with Wiifit will jump in with Wiifit +.

Oh yeah, Vink, congratulations.

apujanata

ksamedi said:

As Wii Fit owner, and someone who has dabbled (only 4 hours in) in EA Sports Active, I would say that Wii Fit+ improvement (from game screen) on the total calorie count and customizable workout selection are things that I like on EA Sports Active but not available on Wii Fit 1.

I definitely going to buy Wii Fit + as a stand alone game, since the $20 (converted from Y2000 using 1 $=100Y) price is very, very reasonable (I would hesitate to buy at $50 price point). Is it confirmed that US' price will be $20 ?

Vinnk,
As Wii Fit owner, and someone who created a blog for it at 4rebellioncolor, what is your plan for Wii Fit + ? Are you still using Wii Fit ?

test_account

XP-39C²
ksamedi said:
Thats a pretty good deal for existing users and a lot of those will probably upgrade. But the gain is going to come from new users. Not that easy to do of course but what I believe will happen is that people who were on the fence with Wiifit will jump in with Wiifit +.

Oh yeah, Vink, congratulations.
I am curious on how people in general will look on Wii Fit Plus and on how Nintendo will advertice Wii Fit Plus (if they will advertice it that is, Wii Fit is so popular, so maybe not much adverticing is needed). Wii Fit Plus is indeed a sequel as you say, but from my understanding it is not a "full/true" (or what i shall say) sequel. I think that Wii Fit Plus has the same stuff that Wii Fit has, but that Wii Fit Plus has some extra added excercises/workout stuff as you mentioned and that it is easier/better to personalize the workout, or something like that.

With "true/full" sequel i think of something that is more new, like going from Wii Sports to Wii Sports Resort for example. I also think think that Nintendo chose to call it "Wii Fit Plus" instead of "Wii Fit 2" because Wii Fit Plus might not have enough extra contect that Nintendo wants to call it Wii Fit 2, but that is just a guess from my side though.

Will people in general look at Wii Fit Plus as a "true/full" sequel or will many people dont see the big need to buy/upgrade to Wii Fit Plus since it already have several of things that Wii Fit already has?

Although, Wii Fit Plus only cost 2000 yen as schuelma said, so maybe alot of people will buy it since the price is good (and also because that they want the new stuff that Wii Fit Plus brings of course). I think that Wii Fit Plus has a chance indeed to sell more than what Wii Fit has sold, i agree :)

By the way, Wii Fit will be discontuined by Nintendo when Wii Fit Plus gets released, correct?

test_account said:
By the way, Wii Fit will be discontuined by Nintendo when Wii Fit Plus gets released, correct?

No reason why they would. They've proven they can continually sell two sequels side by side with great success with Brain Training.

Top Bottom