• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 6-13, 2009

Chris1964 said:
735k in 3 weeks? Low, considering we are talking about 3 of the biggest weeks of a year. Make that 2 weeks.

I think it has a chance to reach 2.4m, but we don't know the supply situation.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
With Final Fantasy XIII just launching you can be sure that Japan is the last place in the world where NSMBW will have supply problems.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Onesimos said:
Tomodachi Collection is just a testiment on how a broad appeal can attract solid sales over time. And how long since this game been released? Five months and still having solid sales?

If New Super Mario Bros. Wii has such sales, it will surely beat the DS version over time in Japan.
The best selling game on the PS2 sold 3,538,860 copies.

New Super Mario Bros DS has sold over 5,575,115 by Famitsu.

If the Wii game outsells it, it would be doing over 58% better than the best selling PS2 game in Japan, despite having a vastly smaller userbase.

If this happens, I will personally eat my hat schuelma in amazement.

Nirolak said:
The best selling game on the PS2 sold 3,538,860 copies.

New Super Mario Bros DS has sold over 5,575,115 by Famitsu.

If the Wii game outsells it, it would be doing over 58% better than the best selling PS2 game in Japan, despite having a vastly smaller userbase.

If this happens, I will personally eat my hat Scheulma in amazement.

Didn't Wii Sports or Wii Fit already get to that point? I mean 3.5m.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
LINK.AGE76 said:
Didn't Wii Sports or Wii Fit already get to that point? I mean 3.5m.
They're just below Dragon Quest VIII:

Wii Sports: 3,524,167
Wii Fit: 3,536,288

There have been some fantastic successes on the Wii, but no where near the numbers of something like NSMB DS though.

But yes, I think I'll avoid cannibalism on this one. :p

Linkhero1

I doubt NSMB Wii will ever surpass the DS game. I mean the userbase is only 9m compared to the massive userbase for the Nintendo DS.

Linkhero1 said:
I doubt NSMB Wii will ever surpass the DS game. I mean the userbase is only 9m compared to the massive userbase for the Nintendo DS.

I think 4m is easily reachable, anything after that we'd have to see.

cvxfreak

Just went through the game stores. Yodobashi is a madhouse right now, and tons of people are buying PS3s with their FFXIII. The Nintendo sections are no slouch either, continuing their holiday sales movement as well.

The Lighting PS3 Slim is NOT sold out yet. By comparison, I couldn't even get the (much more limited) MH3 bundle in spite of being to the store early and having been "famously" photographed for it. :lol

Have a small number of interesting pics to post later too.

jeremy1456

cvxfreak said:
Just went through the game stores. Yodobashi is a madhouse right now, and tons of people are buying PS3s with their FFXIII. The Nintendo sections are no slouch either, continuing their holiday sales movement as well.

The Lighting PS3 Slim is NOT sold out yet. By comparison, I couldn't even get the (much more limited) MH3 bundle in spite of being to the store early and having been "famously" photographed for it. :lol

Let's say for the sake of predictions, based on what you saw at Yodobashi which console do you think is going to come out on top for the week?

Also, did you happen to notice many people buying Tales of Graces?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
cvxfreak said:

I now I'm asking for crazy things now but from your experience with other limited editions can you have an estimation if FFXIII bundles are indeed close to the reported 200k number?

cvxfreak

jeremy1456 said:
Let's say for the sake of predictions, based on what you saw at Yodobashi which console do you think is going to come out on top for the week?

Also, did you happen to notice many people buying Tales of Graces?

Hard to say. Sony will sell far more PS3s than Nintendo will sell Wiis TODAY, but the weekend can change things easily, especially since we're just about to enter the period of the month when sales begin to pick up and Nintendo sales explode. Wii also definitely outsold the PS3 in the previous days of the week. Hard to say.

And none on Graces. That one's just lost in the holiday madness and the indifference of the Wii userbase.

ZoddGutts

Chris1964 said:
No if they are released the same day.

To be clear I was talking about LTD not first day/week sales. I do think it could do 100k+ on the 360 while the PS3 does 300+. Having a combine 400k+ sales is pretty good for a Tales game these days.

cvxfreak

Chris1964 said:
I now I'm asking for crazy things now but from your experience with other limited editions can you have an estimation if FFXIII bundles are indeed close to the reported 200k number?

Maybe, but until I read it from an official source, I'm gonna call BS on it. 100K is believable, especially since there's still stock available, meaning there's gotta be more than previous bundles, but 200K is seriously pushing it for an LE console.

Jonnyram

cvxfreak said:
Maybe, but until I read it from an official source, I'm gonna call BS on it. 100K is believable, especially since there's still stock available, meaning there's gotta be more than previous bundles, but 200K is seriously pushing it for an LE console.
I dunno. They had at least 500 at my Yodobashi - and that was just the visible stock.

Well, at least if they have a price collapse on FF13, they have lot of room. At 9240Y its the most expensive normal edition on garaph tied with Dragon Quest VIII and a few others (the ones above are including cameras, gun or just are expensive limited editions).

I don't think 200k is too much for this bundle, because its the only way to get a 250GB PS3. If they had released stand-alone 250GB PS3 before, I'd say its way too high. For reference, most PS3 bundles in its life time have been 10k limited, and only above that in extraordinary cases (Minna no Golf 5, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue being a holiday promotion...).

edit: and mc doesn't have we2010 in the top10 either plus famitsu leak nowhere to be seen...last week prediction results could very well come after this week ones...

onken

lol ToG defense, give it up people.

200k still seems like a huge number for a bundle, but if there's one series that can pull it off it's Final Fantasy.

onken said:
lol ToG defense, give it up people.

200k still seems like a huge number for a bundle, but if there's one series that can pull it off it's Final Fantasy.

Whose defending Tales, it has horrible sales. If it reaches 250k ltd then that's respectable at least.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
edit: and mc doesn't have we2010 in the top10 either plus famitsu leak nowhere to be seen...last week prediction results could very well come after this week ones...
According to the slightly different numbers of thedrill blog PS2 verion did 33.000 and PSP version 45.000. If it doesn't make any significant difference at the high positions use them and update the rankings again when famitsu top 30 comes out.

Chris1964 said:
According to the slightly different numbers of thedrill blog PS2 verion did 33.000 and PSP version 45.000. If it doesn't make any significant difference at the high positions use them and update the rankings again when famitsu top 30 comes out.
Mmm, imagine the PSP rounds to 46k and its a different winner by points. Yup, that close :p

Jonnyram said:
V and VI were more expensive. Not sure about IV.
I know, I know, I used garaph so it skips pre-PS days when prices were colossally high.

I don't see how Tales sales are bad relative to what Symphonia 2 sold. Depending on which tracker you go with, it sole just a bit better, or just a bit worse than its predecessor.

I'd just say that Vesperia's PS3 sales are far better. I'll expect the next title to be on the HD consoles as a result.

ivysaur12

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
I don't see how Tales sales are bad relative to what Symphonia 2 sold. Depending on which tracker you go with, it sole just a bit better, or just a bit worse than its predecessor.

I'd just say that Vesperia's PS3 sales are far better. I'll expect the next title to be on the HD consoles as a result.

DTNW wasn't even a mainline Tales game though, and Graces basically sold the same. I guess that means there's a consistent Tales fanbase on the Wii, though not nearly what there could be with PS360. Graces definitely should have sold a lot more than DTNW.

I really wish that we could look at budget for games for compare like we can for movies...

ivysaur12 said:
DTNW wasn't even a mainline Tales game though, and Graces basically sold the same. I guess that means there's a consistent Tales fanbase on the Wii, though not nearly what there could be with PS360. Graces definitely should have sold a lot more than DTNW.

I really wish that we could look at budget for games for compare like we can for movies...

Mainline schmainline. There have been like 40 million tales games in the past 5 years. I doubt Japanese gamers really give as much of a shit about "mainline" games as we assume.

Fact is the Tales series is a diluted brand, and if Symphonia 2 sold 143k it makes little sense to assume that Graces would do much better.

cvxfreak

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Well, at least if they have a price collapse on FF13, they have lot of room. At 9240Y its the most expensive normal edition on garaph tied with Dragon Quest VIII and a few others (the ones above are including cameras, gun or just are expensive limited editions).

I don't think 200k is too much for this bundle, because its the only way to get a 250GB PS3. If they had released stand-alone 250GB PS3 before, I'd say its way too high. For reference, most PS3 bundles in its life time have been 10k limited, and only above that in extraordinary cases (Minna no Golf 5, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue being a holiday promotion...).

Interestingly enough, I'm noticing FAR more people buying the regular system. I'm pretty sure the bundle - 200K or not - would be gone by now if people were buying that instead of the regular.

It's also possible that SE wants the game to have good legs, so keeping plenty of bundles around makes sense and 200K would be a believable amount. I just find it bizarre that 200K equals Limited Edition... if it indeed has been branded as such. For all we know, it's this year's fancy equivalent of last year's GT5P-III bundle.

Acosta

cvxfreak said:
Interestingly enough, I'm noticing FAR more people buying the regular system. I'm pretty sure the bundle - 200K or not - would be gone by now if people were buying that instead of the regular.

Am I the only one that thinks that the FF Special Edition PS3 looks horrible? Could be that more people think the same.

farnham

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
Mainline schmainline. There have been like 40 million tales games in the past 5 years. I doubt Japanese gamers really give as much of a shit about "mainline" games as we assume.

Fact is the Tales series is a diluted brand, and if Symphonia 2 sold 143k it makes little sense to assume that Graces would do much better.
also their mainline mothership always changes

first its vesperia on HD then its innocence and hearts on the DS and now its Graces on the Wii...

its way to confusing.. even for a Talesfan..

cvxfreak

Acosta said:
Am I the only one that thinks that the FF Special Edition PS3 looks horrible? Could be that more people think the same.

I'm sure many people think the same.

Funny enough, I noticed for the past few months that the white Wii has overtaken the black Wii in terms of popularity.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
What is the deal with Tomodachi Collection? Minimized the second hand market? Or are Miis the key for games?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Considering that Tales of Graces has to not only go up against the insanely popular NSMBWii, but is launching right in FFXIII's shadow (and anyone who thinks that a Tales of game could be more anticipated than a FF game in Japan is clearly insane), I think Tales of Graces did very well.

Vesperia had no such competition to compete against. Context people, context.

hirokazu

RurouniZel said:
Considering that Tales of Graces has to not only go up against the insanely popular NSMBWii, but is launching right in FFXIII's shadow (and anyone who thinks that a Tales of game could be more anticipated than a FF game in Japan is clearly insane), I think Tales of Graces did very well.

Meh, you're basically saying it was sent to die. Yeah, OK it did pretty well in the face of such competition, but in terms of good hard total sales figures to be hung up on a sales-age list, it's just not gonna look good regardless.

RurouniZel

hirokazu said:
Meh, you're basically saying it was sent to die. Yeah, OK it did pretty well in the face of such competition, but in terms of good hard total sales figures to be hung up on a sales-age list, it's just not gonna look good regardless.

They could have picked a better release date, yes. If they had launched the game in say, late January of next year I think it easily could have done an additional 50K at least. Numbers don't mean anything outside of context, and I think letting the numbers do the thinking for you is a mistake that a large number of Sale-Age GAF makes (not to mention the companies themselves sadly).

onken

RurouniZel said:

Except Vesperia was a year-old port.

RurouniZel

onken said:
Except Vesperia was a year-old port.

A year old port of an extremely good game with additional features and a fanbase that was hungry for a decent RPG to hold them over until FFXIII came out.

Once again, context.

EDIT: Not to mention it's a year old port of a 360 game, not the most popular system in Japan. It has its fanbase, but I'd be willing to wager that you're FAR more likely to find people with both a PS3 and Wii than both a PS3 and 360 in Japan. Food for thought.

onken

RurouniZel said:
A year old port of an extremely good game with additional features and a fanbase that was hungry for a decent RPG to hold them over until FFXIII came out.

Once again, context.

Yes that totally makes sense because ToG is a terrible game and the Wii is awash with RPGs. Once again, your context is bullshit.

Brofist

Acosta said:

No you're not. It looks ugly as fuck. Just a plain white slim would have been 100x better.

RurouniZel

onken said:
Yes that totally makes sense because ToG is a terrible game and the Wii is awash with RPGs. Once again, your context is bullshit.

Tales of Graces is probably a very good game that unfortunately launched a week before an RPG that's been grossly anticipated for over 3 years and one of the largest franchises in Japan ever, and you're expecting it to sell gangbusters against that? AND against NSMBWii? In these economic times? :lol You clearly have no concept of what context actually is.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ReyBrujo said:
What is the deal with Tomodachi Collection? Minimized the second hand market? Or are Miis the key for games?

Same sort of pattern as Rhythm Tengoku Gold last year, but stronger.

onken

RurouniZel said:
Tales of Graces is probably a very good game that unfortunately launched a week before an RPG that's been grossly anticipated for over 3 years and one of the largest franchises in Japan ever, and you're expecting it to sell gangbusters against that? AND against NSMBWii? In these economic times? :lol You clearly have no concept of what context actually is.

5 minutes ago you were saying Vesperia only sold well because it was a good game on a console without many RPGs, which is exactly the same situation ToG is in. Did you really abandon your argument that quick?

RurouniZel said:
They could have picked a better release date, yes. If they had launched the game in say, late January of next year I think it easily could have done an additional 50K at least. .

So even in its own ideal release window it still would have sold worse than a year-old port? lol ok.

RurouniZel said:
Vesperia PS3 launched 5 days later than something called Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver.

I wonder how that fits in your context.

RurouniZel

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Vesperia PS3 launched 5 days later than something called Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver.

I wonder how that fits in your context.

Pokemon was a portable game, whereas Vesperia wasn't. I would also say that Tales of and Final Fantasy are both aimed at the same audience of teenagers/young adults, whereas Pokemon is clearly aimed at a younger audience. However I understand that the 2nd one is a bit of a stretch.

onken said:
5 minutes ago you were saying Vesperia only sold well because it was a good game on a console without many RPGs, which is exactly the same situation ToG is in. Did you really abandon your argument that quick?

So even in its own ideal release window it still would have sold worse than a year-old port? lol ok.

As I mentioned earlier (but you seem quite quick to cherry pick), I mentioned you're far more likely to find people who have BOTH a PS3 and Wii than people with PS3 and 360.

People who bought Vesperia on PS3 did because they didn't have a 360 to buy it on. People who have a PS3 and Wii have a choice. Tales of Graces now, or Final Fantasy XIII next week.

Think about that for just a moment. Which do you think people are going to chose?

Top Bottom