• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 6-13, 2009

obonicus

BattleMonkey said:
People really were not saying MH3 was bomba though, it was below expectations.

Dragona did say bomba. Not too many people agreed with her, though it did get some non-MC-thread-people to pop out of the woodwork IIRC (and I probably don't).

Zerodoppler said:
Tales of Graces bomba was expected. Why would you own a Wii if you enjoy RPG's? And if you don't own one, why pick one up for a single Tales game when you have every other console RPG going to the PS3?
FACT, people with a Wii cannot enjoy a RPG.....

dolemite

LOL at the mountains of unsold bundles, although these should be all cleared by the end of the holiday season. It looks like SE really did ship 200k bundles.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
JJS your KOEI Wii list is missing something.

tNLE0O0.jpg

Vinnk

BattleMonkey said:
Many of the die hard Wii fans. Lot of them were making wild speculation based on that the franchise has grown greatly since it went to PSP and that it could not be compared to the sales of the PS2 games since it's now a much bigger monster. It went on for months in the Media Create and MH threads especially with people going "lol MH3 PSP port coming soon after"

I have read these MC threads every week for more than 4 years. I don't recall a singe post claiming that MH3 Wii was going to do MHP2 level sales. If I somehow missed one, please quote it. Had anyone posted something like that the regulars would have deflated that bubble instantly. Up until the shipment numbers were posted even 1 million seems like a crazy high guess. As another poster said, after MHG Wii, most thought around 700k - 900k. Some thought lower (500k). But again, my memory could be slipping. And as you said, there were many of them.

markatisu said:
This made me chuckle

After 6 weeks, PSPgo is where GBm was at 0.4 (+0.0) weeks (September 14, 2005).
It's especially sad that the linked-to page generates this image.
PSPgo+in+terms+of+GBm

The purpose of these is to show how long it took various systems to reach the same point, but it hasn't reached high enough to display the GBm line at all, since things start with the first week numbers rather than 0.
Zerodoppler said:
Why would you own a Wii if you enjoy RPG's?
As an RPG-lover with a Wii, I haven't experienced any sort of allergic reaction. Though yeah, if that was my ONLY concern Wii probably wouldn't be my first pick... though after DS I'm not sure what my second would be.
Stumpokapow said:
JJS your KOEI Wii list is missing something.
I wish he'd have shown up on a weekly Top 30 or Yearly Top 500 or something! Mahjong and ROTK would've never made it either, if there wasn't the unusual situation of having Famitsu numbers for every PS3/Wii game through March 2007.

BattleMonkey said:
Many of the die hard Wii fans. Lot of them were making wild speculation based on that the franchise has grown greatly since it went to PSP and that it could not be compared to the sales of the PS2 games since it's now a much bigger monster. It went on for months in the Media Create and MH threads especially with people going "lol MH3 PSP port coming soon after"

If you post things like this, you'd best have proof to back it up.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
This continued digging of Monster Hunter 3 has started to become annoying.
Trick question for everyone.
After how many months did Metal Gear Solid 4 sell its initial shipment and when did the price collapses begin?

tehbear

Even as someone who dislikes MH3, I must say the situation is getting blown out of proportions. Some people just wants to set the bar super high so they can mock the Wii it seems.

Since NSMB Wii and Wii hardware performs better than hopes from some Sony fanboys, the punching ball is now Tales of Grace :D

I hope that it can sell as many as or better than Tekken 6 or Bayonetta...

ccbfan

I don't think anybody expected MH3 to do PSP numbers other than a few member in the initial MH3->Wii announcement but those people aren't media create regulars and don't know the phenomenon of MHP and the resurgence of the PSP in Japan.

Most people though did expect it to reach 1 million by now. Which it has not. The average LTD prediction was like 1.2 -1.4 mil.

Is this a bomba. Probably not but it is disappointing since it did have a massive price collapse in the standalone version by its second week. Plus with an ad campaign and current popularity magnitudes higher than it was when it was on the PS2. Just outselling the PS2 versions doesn't say much.

Really doesn't say much about Wii's software selling ability either way, maybe a little on the negative side.

What gets me though is that people use this as a shining beacon of Wii's ability to sell games. Which is something I'll call out. (Which I have done a few times as many of you know). It did OK, nothing remarkable, nothing great, nothing well.

The first Taiko, first Deca Sport, heck even FF4 are much greater examples of third parties doing well on the Wii because they greatly over performed on the Wii.

oldie-newbie said:
Since NSMB Wii and Wii hardware performs better than hopes from some Sony fanboys, the punching ball is now Tales of Grace :D

I hope that it can sell as many as or better than Tekken 6 or Bayonetta...

Yes, because the people saying ToG sales are disappointing are sony fanboys.

smh.

If ToG underperforms on the Wii this holiday for Namco, I think that pretty much wraps it up for the wii third party wise in Japan. It's kinda happening in the U.S, too.

Bel Marduk said:
I never saw the DS Tales being picked on when they sold similarly and even less than ToG or the PSP spinoff Tales or whatever but everyone is really dead set on making it out to be that the Wii sucks at selling SW or some BS like that.

Maybe because TotT was a joke as a mainline entry and probably hurt any possibilities of the series success on DS. And there's have been plnety of RPG on DS that reached huge success.

ccbfan said:
What gets me though is that people use this as a shining beacon of Wii's ability to sell games. Which is something I'll call out. (Which I have done a few times as many of you know). It did OK, nothing remarkable, nothing great, nothing well.

MH3 would had reached nice sales in whatever platform it was released.

ccbfan said:
I don't think anybody expected MH3 to do PSP numbers other than a few member in the initial MH3->Wii announcement but those people aren't media create regulars and don't know the phenomenon of MHP and the resurgence of the PSP in Japan.

Most people though did expect it to reach 1 million by now. Which it has not. The average LTD prediction was like 1.2 -1.4 mil.

Is this a bomba. Probably not but it is disappointing since it did have a massive price collapse in the standalone version by its second week. Plus with an ad campaign and current popularity magnitudes higher than it was when it was on the PS2. Just outselling the PS2 versions doesn't say much.

Really doesn't say much about Wii's software selling ability either way, maybe a little on the negative side.

The first Taiko, first Deca Sport, heck even FF4 are much greater examples of third parties doing well on the Wii because they greatly over performed on the Wii.

Oh, so by MH3 not doing well, that must mean that every single PS3 and 360 game in Japan also did horribly, considering that MH3 has by far outsold every PS3 and 360 game in Japan as I mentioned, beating even MGS4 (top PS3 game) which is at 705.772 and Star Ocean 4 360 (top 360 game) at 208.521. Numbers are from Japan Game Charts which sources Famitsu.

Road

bcn-ron said:
So is CoD4 Reflex coming out in Japan?
I was seeing in the other thread they didn't even release World at War before MW2. I can't imagine they'd bother releasing Reflex.

I know that doesn't answer your question...

ccbfan

Hero of Legend said:
Oh, so by MH3 not doing well, that must mean that every single PS3 and 360 game in Japan also did horribly, considering that MH3 has by far outsold every PS3 and 360 game in Japan as I mentioned, beating even MGS4 (top PS3 game) which is at 705.772 and Star Ocean 4 360 (top 360 game) at 208.521. Numbers are from Japan Game Charts which sources Famitsu.

So you're saying if FFXIII sell under 1 mil it be a massive success too?

Cause I would consider that a massive bomba.

People need to understand if Zill'O sells 500K its a massive OMGWTF this is crazy success.

If FFXIII sells 500K its a massive OMGWTF this is crazy bomba.

Even though they sold the same number.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Relaxed Muscle said:
Maybe because ToI was a joke as a mainline entry and probably hurt any possibilities of the series success on DS. And there's have been plnety of RPG on DS that reached huge success.

Do you mean TotT or ToI?

velvet_nitemare said:
Yes, because the people saying ToG sales are disappointing are sony fanboys.

smh.

Disappointing sales according to their expectations. Do we have any expectation from Namco for this game?

If ToG sales finished slightly beyond 200k, I will consider that it will be fine for a good game launched the week between two giants games (NSMBWii and Final Fantasy XIII).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
ccbfan said:

People need to understand if Zill'O sells 500K its a massive OMGWTF this is crazy success.

You put standards for games out of nowhere. Who said that 1 million sales for Monster Hunter 3 is just an OK result? Capcom? And if FF XIII sells more than a million it is a massive success?

dolemite

I'm assuming that SE already received all the $$$ for every copy of these 1.8 million units shipped. Now it's up to the retailers to get the job done selling them.

ccbfan said:

I agree with you there because FFXIII is like the biggest console game to come out this gen.

The end of the day, I think that marketing does it all. How many other 3rd party Wii games have had the marketing push as MH3? Market it right and it sells. Imagine if Bandai Namco did a similar marketing campaign with Graces, not hard to imagine that it would've done far better am I right?

I fucking hate how many devs just seem to assume that games sell themselves on the Wii and put little to no marketing behind it. :(

Chris1964 said:
You put standards for games out of nowhere. Who said that 1 million sales for Monster Hunter 3 is just an OK result? Capcom? And if FF XIII sells more than a million it is a massive success?

Just asking, dosn't shipments shows what a company expects of the sales of their games?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ccbfan said:

1- again this is clearly some awesome misrepresentation. When MH3 was announced, no one thought it would hit a million. The most common question was whether it would beat the PS2 versions sales. It was literally only a week or so before release when capcom announced the shipment that people started expecting a million or more.

2- the notion that MH3 only selling 950k or so as of now representing a negative for the Wii is absurd. It has already outsold MH2 by nearly 400k so this is just laughable really. There are enough third party failures on the Wii to use as evidence against the platform. Using the best selling console game aside from FF13 is just misguided

oldie-newbie said:
Disappointing sales according to their expectations. Do we have any expectation from Namco for this game?

If ToG sales finished slightly beyond 200k, I will consider that it will be fine for a good game launched the week between two giants games (NSMBWii and Final Fantasy XIII).

Maybe those people are comparing it's sales to that of other Tales games?

You seem to think only fanboys can find those sales disappointing. You're wrong.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Relaxed Muscle said:
Just asking, dosn't shipments shows what a company expects of the sales of their games?
Yes they do, so? The target is 2 million worldwide with 1,1 shipped in Japan. Capcom said they were very pleased with Monster Hunter 3 performance in Japan and was the game that drove their profits the previous quarter. But what Capcom knows, right? They won't publish Monster Hunter 3 G now, because the game hasn't sold its initial shipment yet.

schuelma

Relaxed Muscle said:

That is one measure. Another is the companies own expectations which was 2m shipped WW. I think they will get very close to that.

I would add that Tri isn't done selling in Japan. It will cross a million and eventually get close to the shipment number I imagine

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Chris1964 said:
Yes they do, so? The target is 2 million worldwide with 1,1 shipped in Japan.

Frankly they don't have a chance of making that worldwide target. (This point has nothing to do with the current argument about whether the JPN release has been a success)

Chris1964 said:
Yes they do, so? The target is 2 million worldwide with 1,1 shipped in Japan. Capcom said they were very pleased with Monster Hunter 3 performance in Japan and was the game that drove their profits the previous quarter. But what Capcom knows, right? They won't publish Monster Hunter 3 G now, because the game hasn't sold its initial shipment yet.

I wasn't implaying anything,like that since MH3 did sold out his first shipment it was a failure, I was just asking, seemed like a good chance to ask...

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Stumpokapow said:
Frankly they don't have a chance of making that worldwide target. (This point has nothing to do with the current argument about whether the JPN release has been a success)
Capcom is champion in overshipment and they will have help from Nintendo with the promotion of the game. Don't count out the possibility.

schuelma

Stumpokapow said:

I think they can get close if for no other reason than Capcom seems to be able to flood the channels quite nicely. Didn't Bionic Commando ship liie 500k or some huge number?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Chris1964 said:
Capcom is champion in overshipment and they will have help from Nintendo with the promotion of the game. Don't count out the possibility.

I think the Nintendo help can bring it from being a 100k series in North America to, maybe at the best, a 300k series in North America. Less if the online stays pay for play. Still, this is obviously an aside and I don't intend to derail.

Rolf NB

Relaxed Muscle said:
I wouldn't value that as highly. Between the game getting the green lights and a certain budget allocated to it and the day it finally starts shipping, expectations can change significantly. If a high-budget game gets a small initial shipment, there's obviously money getting lost somewhere. Selling through that small initial shipment quickly doesn't make it a success. All it proves is that the publisher (and the retailers) have already seen the failure coming.

velvet_nitemare said:
Maybe those people are comparing it's sales to that of other Tales games?

You seem to think only fanboys can find those sales disappointing. You're wrong.

I know that some Wii fanboys can find also those sales disappointing because they have better expectations. But when you compare a game sales with previous game sales of the same serie, you have to compare also the launch windows, the decline or progression of the serie, etc...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Spiegel said:
Wasn't the online portion confirmed to be free in NA/EU?

I thought they hadn't made an announcement yet but realistically if it isn't free, no one would be dumb enough to buy it.

gerg

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I'm actually helping you.

Here, I'll shrink your arguments so everyone reads it easily.

I'm not sure how some kind of false dichotomy has been created, and why his views are apparently so unreasonable.

Believing that Tales of Graces would have sold more had it been released at a different time does not preclude you from also believing that it would have sold more had it been released on the PS3 at a different time.

Hero of Legend said:
The end of the day, I think that marketing does it all. How many other 3rd party Wii games have had the marketing push as MH3? Market it right and it sells. Imagine if Bandai Namco did a similar marketing campaign with Graces, not hard to imagine that it would've done far better am I right?

I fucking hate how many devs just seem to assume that games sell themselves on the Wii and put little to no marketing behind it. :(
You would be correct if Crystal Bearers didn't get released just a month ago with a decent marketing campaign behind it and bombed harder than anything else since ET

markatisu

Spiegel said:
Wasn't the online portion confirmed to be free in NA/EU?

I don't think officially it has been, there has been talk about free online and implementing Wii Speak functionality but nothing concrete.

Stumpokapow said:

Sure they do, they can easily ship the remaining 1m between EU and US, selling it though is a completely different matter.

gerg said:
I'm not sure how some kind of false dichotomy has been created, and why his views are apparently so unreasonable.

Believing that Tales of Graces would have sold more had it been released at a different time does not preclude you from also believing that it would have sold more had it been released on the PS3 at a different time.
Because the motto in these MC threads since the Wii launch is to make up every possible bullshit excuse that crosses your mind to tell everyone that every single 3rd party bomb on the system has actually done well when you consider them.

That's when it becomes unreasonable and laughable.

jcm

schuelma said:
I think they can get close if for no other reason than Capcom seems to be able to flood the channels quite nicely. Didn't Bionic Commando ship liie 500k or some huge number?

I don't know how it works in the rest of the world, but in the US the large retailers can get credit for unsold copies. Publishers don't tend to send out PRs about that though. ;)

Top Bottom