• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Feb. 8 - 14, 2010

Agnates

Banned
schuelma said:
Just to clarify, I'm not even primarily talking about big releases like Galaxy 2 anymore- I am talking about actual (not re-releases) releases that have the potential to sell more than 25K LTD. There is literally NOTHING ANNOUNCED that meets that criteria right now. Nothing. Look at the lineup. The only game announced that might come out in the next 2-3 months is Xenoblade. We are talking about Reginleiv not doing that well....as it stands its going to be the biggest release on the platform for the next 2 months. That's not a strategy to save big guns for busier periods- its either: A- incompetence, B- Nintendo is preparing a revision and holding off on software (NOT Wii HD- a DSi type revision), or C- Nintendo and 3rd parties have dropped the platform.
Having a(nother, this isn't the first time) slow period is a sign of dropping the platform even if you have big games coming later like Xenoblade and The Last Story and Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid Other M? Wow, please talk about the present where you have an actual point (zomg, slow in Japan, Nintendoomed) instead of ridiculous speculation :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Agnates said:
Having a(nother really, this isn't the first time) slow period is a sign of dropping the platform even if you have big games coming later like Xenoblade and The Last Story and Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid Other M? Wow :lol

I said it was one of the explanations. The most likely is incompetence. And again, this isn't merely a slow period- its a period that could go 3-4 months without a single release debuting above 25K. That's not slow- that's completely and utterly barren.

gerg

schuelma said:
Just to clarify, I'm not even primarily talking about big releases like Galaxy 2 anymore- I am talking about actual (not re-releases) releases that have the potential to sell more than 25K LTD. There is literally NOTHING ANNOUNCED that meets that criteria right now. Nothing. Look at the lineup. The only game announced that might come out in the next 2-3 months is Xenoblade. We are talking about Reginleiv not doing that well....as it stands its going to be the biggest release on the platform for the next 2 months. That's not a strategy to save big guns for busier periods- its either: A- incompetence, B- Nintendo is preparing a revision and holding off on software (NOT Wii HD- a DSi type revision), or C- Nintendo and 3rd parties have dropped the platform.

I'm not quite sure how this is much of a development from your original post.

I'm not denying that it may be incompetence (ie. Nintendo's failure to attract third-party development, thinking that it would come of its own accord) that drove Nintendo into this situation. Evidently, Nintendo does not have "enough" titles that might be released to create a healthy software environment (and, depending on the continued success of NSMB, to prop up Wii hardware sales). (It may also be the case that Nintendo has made the conscious decision to release fewer but better titles, and I think it's too early to tell as to whether or not that's been a bad choice.)

However, as I have already said, it may be the case that due to past mistakes Nintendo will inevitably be stuck with dry periods later this year, and it would rather prefer to lump them all together as much as possible. I'm happy to wait until January 2011 to find out if this were the case, or if Nintendo is simply being that incompetent or apathetic about scheduling.

I'm really trying to understand what's so controversial about what I'm saying. Heck, I'm happy to allow for Nintendo historically being incompetent with its game releases (in that it may never have needed to sufficiently develop this skill). I really just don't think that this is a case of them being especially stupid. I'd liken this to what Opiate has said about third parties and their general development: they've made some especially bad decisions at the beginning of the generation, but given the circumstance they're handling themselves quite well at the moment.

schuelma said:
I said it was one of the explanations. The most likely is incompetence. And again, this isn't merely a slow period- its a period that could go 3-4 months without a single release debuting above 25K. That's not slow- that's completely and utterly barren.

So now Nintendo's lack of releases stretches on for four months? We're predicting that Nintendo will release no games in Japan until June?

schuelma

Agnates said:
Wow, please talk about the present where you have an actual point (zomg, slow in Japan, Nintendoomed) instead of ridiculous speculation :lol

Listen, you'll probably be gone within the month so I won't spend too much time on this, but please, spare me your rhetoric. I am in no way a Nintendo hater or anything like that. Some people in this thread probably consider me a slightly more intelligible Hero of Legend. If you can look at what Nintendo has going in Japan for the Wii and think I don't have a point, then you're even more of a Nintendo fanboy than I thought you were.

Sp, hey guys, do we consider Nintendo of Japan's inability to produce new games better or worse than NoA's inability/refusal to localize games that already exist?

Agnates

Banned
I think you do have a point, and I urged you to stick to that point instead of, again, ridiculous, stupid, and fanboyish doomsday speculation. But thanks.

schuelma

gerg said:
So now Nintendo's lack of releases stretches on for four months? We're predicting that Nintendo will release no games in Japan until June?

RE: DC released 1/14.

It's now 2/18.

The earliest something like Xenoblade or another random 1st or 3rd party game can realistically come out is probably 6-8 weeks. So at the minimum you are looking at a 3 month period without a single release debuting above 25K.

Dascu

schuelma said:
Listen, you'll probably be gone within the month so I won't spend too much time on this, but please, spare me your rhetoric. I am in no way a Nintendo hater or anything like that. Some people in this thread probably consider me a slightly more intelligible Hero of Legend. If you can look at what Nintendo has going in Japan for the Wii and think I don't have a point, then you're even more of a Nintendo fanboy than I thought you were.
I trust his Amazon sales analysis much more than your biased anti-Nintendo ramblings. Don't you have some Xbox releases to cheer for or something?

Agnates said:
I think you do have a point, and I urged you to stick to that point instead of, again, ridiculous, stupid, and fanboyish doomsday speculation.

It's not speculation to say that (A) Nintendo has nothing out for a couple months, and that (B) this is not a good thing.

schuelma

Agnates said:
I think you do have a point, and I urged you to stick to that point instead of, again, ridiculous, stupid, and fanboyish doomsday speculation. But thanks.

Yes, its my deepest fanboy dream that Nintendo is dropping the Wii. You found me out, the game is up. I shall wear my HD loving badge with pride.

schuelma

Pureauthor said:
Sp, hey guys, do we consider Nintendo of Japan's inability to produce new games better or worse than NoA's inability/refusal to localize games that already exist?

Hmm..I'm going to go with Nintendo Japan on that one. I hate Reggie, but I don't think he has nearly as much influence and sway as many people think. I also think Japan should have been a much more favorable environment for software than N.A (at least in terms of 3rd party developers).

Agnates

Banned
Pureauthor said:
It's not speculation to say that (A) Nintendo has nothing out for a couple months, and that (B) this is not a good thing.
That's not the part I said he speculated over mr lawyer. Nor did I disagree with it.

schuelma

Dascu said:
I trust his Amazon sales analysis much more than your biased anti-Nintendo ramblings. Don't you have some Xbox releases to cheer for or something?

BALD MARINES 4 LIFE BRO

gerg

schuelma said:
RE: DC released 1/14.

It's now 2/18.

The earliest something like Xenoblade or another random 1st or 3rd party game can realistically come out is probably 6-8 weeks. So at the minimum you are looking at a 3 month period without a single release debuting above 25K.

I misread your statement. I thought you were arguing that this period could go on for another three to four months, which is what I found quite radical.

schuelma

gerg said:
I misread your statement. I thought you were arguing that this period could go on for another three to four months, which is what I found quite radical.

No, I don't think Nintendo is that dumb....

Or are they???

donny2112

Dascu said:

DontKnowIfSerious.jpg

So, it looks pretty good for Reginleiv to get at least another shipment. Hopefully, the first day number was wrong, and it had better legs than 5K over the weekend. :lol

*sidesteps yet another discussion about the Wii release schedule...*

Kind of meh-ish first week for Reginleiv - better than some people imagined, but not quite as good as it could have been. I doubt the premium price helped, but nice to see it (apparently) moving quite briskly through its first shipment.

duckroll

Someone on 2ch pointed out that Nintendo has released a RPG at the end of May every year since 2007.

24th May 2007 - Kurikin (DS)
20th May 2008 - Glory of Heracles (DS)
21st May 2009 - Magic Wand (Wii)

Spring 2010 - Xenoblade (Wii)

duckroll said:
Someone on 2ch pointed out that Nintendo has released a RPG at the end of May every year since 2007.

24th May 2007 - Kurikin (DS)
20th May 2008 - Glory of Heracles (DS)
21st May 2009 - Magic Wand (Wii)

Spring 2010 - Xenoblade (Wii)

Which of these are good games?

Agnates

Banned
What's Magic Wand? Takt of Magic? I wanted that game, it looked like Fire Emblem in real time with Arx Fatalis' rune combining spell casting.

Though it was probably nothing like that in the end.

farnham

Banned
bttb said:
http://www.aqi.co.jp/ir/2010/data/20100218.pdf
AQI Presentation Materials: 9 months ended December 2009.

Consumer Game Division:
- 65k units shipped in Japan.
- 341k units shipped overseas.

Contract Development Division:
- Milestone of 50 contracts reached. (FY09 = 35, FY08 = 30)
- 360 = 13, PSP = 12, Wii = 17, Other = 2, PS3 = 5

Contract Development Highlights:
- Resident Evil: Dark Side Chronicles (Capcom)
- NieR Gestalt/NieR Replicant (Square Enix)
- Ninety-Nine Nights II (Konami Digital Entertainment)
- The Last Story (Mistwalker Corporation)
is this cavia..?

duckroll

AQ Interactive owns Artoon, Cavia, Feel Plus, Microcabin and XSEED. RE: DSC and Nier are Cavia, N3-2 is Feel Plus, and Last Story is very likely Artoon, since Mistwalker has definitely been working with them on something since 2007. The director of Blue Dragon is likely the director of Last Story as well in this case.

farnham

Banned
duckroll said:
AQ Interactive owns Artoon, Cavia, Feel Plus, Microcabin and XSEED. RE: DSC and Nier are Cavia, N3-2 is Feel Plus, and Last Story is very likely Artoon, since Mistwalker has definitely been working with them on something since 2007. The director of Blue Dragon is likely the director of Last Story as well in this case.
ah okay that solves the mister M mystery right..?

Nintendo EAD must be very busy with DSiWare games, take Intelligent Systems in example.

Oh, Nintendo...

Xenoblade > The Last Story

Confirmed.

duckroll

Jonnyram said:
Well who the hell did you think was gonna make it? Squaresoft?

Produced by Sakaguchi
Scenario and Game Design by Matsuno
Directed by Sakurai
Developed by Sora and GameArts
Additional Development Support by Intelligent Systems

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
velvet_nitemare said:
Pretty ridiculous that schuelma is being accused of being anti-nintendo and called a fanboy.

yeah that's probably the best one since the thread last month where charlequin, who owns a DS, a Wii, a 360, and no functional Sony consoles, was accused of being a rabid sony fan and derailing the thread.

duckroll

I thought it's common knowledge that after I associated him with Hero of Legend the last time, he PM'd me with evidence that he sold his Wii and DS and bought 4 PS3s in different colors. He's a certified anti-Nintendo fanbot now. Serious!

Stumpokapow said:
yeah that's probably the best one since the thread last month where charlequin, who owns a DS, a Wii, a 360, and no functional Sony consoles, was accused of being a rabid sony fan and derailing the thread.
Next we'll be calling Scrubking a HD fanboy.

Jonnyram

duckroll said:
Produced by Sakaguchi
Scenario and Game Design by Matsuno
Directed by Sakurai
Developed by Sora and GameArts
Additional Development Support by Intelligent Systems
Damn it. I was hoping Sakurai and Sora were working on Grandia IV.

schuelma

duckroll said:
I thought it's common knowledge that after I associated him with Hero of Legend the last time, he PM'd me with evidence that he sold his Wii and DS and bought 4 PS3s in different colors. He's a certified anti-Nintendo fanbot now. Serious!

I bought 11 copies of Uncharted 2 and forced them upon some of my former Wiitard brethren. I kept the other 5 copies for myself, and made a shrine to Nathan Drake in my bedroom.

duckroll

Jonnyram said:
Damn it. I was hoping Sakurai and Sora were working on Grandia IV.

They are. The full title which will be revealed when the official site opens fully is Grandia IV: The Last Story.

Top Bottom