• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Jan. 18 - 24, 2010

krea

Banned
Dascu said:
* Release date Japan (Target): Fall 2010

if they get monster hunter 3, its the best time for a psp2 (and for a new monster hunter)

* PSP2 will include a PowerVR Graphics Chip (SGX543)

no rocketscience but faster than wii/xbox1, maybe a ps2 emulator is possible!

* It will have touch screen functionality
* It will probably also support motion/tilt controls
* Finally 2 analog sticks

imo, they are standard features

* There's going to be a Playstatioin Phone that shares the App store with the PSP2

something like the appstore or indie games, would be a great idea!

Baki

Dascu said:
Well they're quoting all that from this twitter: http://twitter.com/PSPLife

I have no idea how reliable that source is.

Edit: Reading the twitter account, it seems the MH3 PSP2 stuff is purely speculation.
Reading the source. It seems as though the guy is saying that Ready at Dawn is working on a launch title. Megaton if true, those guys did a stunning job on the 1st PSP.

PS: Although the twitter account does not mention it. I think Monster Hunter 3P is a launch title. Would explain the silence.

In terms of sales, I expect the PSP 2 to have sold nearly 2.5M by the end of the year in Japan. With the launch week being north of 600K.

donny2112

Baki said:
With the launch week being north of 600K.

So you expect it to be higher than any week the DS has ever had (including the all-time highest week of 598K), and more than double the PSP's highest week ever (Slim release, 278K).

Good luck with that.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Baki said:
Reading the source. It seems as though the guy is saying that Ready at Dawn is working on a launch title. Megaton if true, those guys did a stunning job on the 1st PSP.

PS: Although the twitter account does not mention it. I think Monster Hunter 3P is a launch title. Would explain the silence.

In terms of sales, I expect the PSP 2 to have sold nearly 2.5M by the end of the year in Japan. With the launch week being north of 600K.
:lol

You're fast
and wrong

Brak

Baki said:

I just heard that Bioware's going to make a Mario RPG for Wii. Megaton if true.

[Nintex]

Brak said:
I just heard that Bioware's going to make a Mario RPG for Wii. Megaton if true.
I've seen crazier shit happen like Team Ninja working on a Metroid game and GRIN on a Final Fantasy spin-off.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Is there a particular reason we are giving credence to some random twitter basing info off another random twitter, or am I missing something?

donny2112

schuelma said:
Is there a particular reason we are giving credence to some random twitter basing info off another random twitter, or am I missing something?

The more individually non-credible sources it filters through, the more credible overall the information is?

[Nintex]

I think that Sony should focus on the PS3/Arc first and release the PSP2 next year. They already have quite a challenge ahead of them, no need to confuse the consumer with another hardware purchase.

wrowa

schuelma said:
It's a boring weekend.

Baki

donny2112 said:
So you expect it to be higher than any week the DS has ever had (including the all-time highest week of 598K), and more than double the PSP's highest week ever (Slim release, 278K).

Good luck with that.
Well the PSP 2 (if it launches with MH3) has the potential to come close to/beat the DS biggest week because a) the market is bigger and b) it is launching with the equivalent of Dragon Quest in Japan.

[Nintex]

Baki said:
Well the PSP 2 (if it launches with MH3) has the potential to come close to/beat the DS biggest week because a) the market is bigger and b) it is launching with the equivalent of Dragon Quest in Japan.
Nintendo will launch a new Pokemon game on DS this year. Capcom will probably launch Monster Hunter 3 portable for the PSP instead of waiting for a system that may or may not sell decent at launch.

Baki

schuelma said:
Hmm. I don't know if I would go that far.
Well MH: Freedom Unite has sold more units than DQ 8. That said, it is entirely possible that MH3P will not be as front loaded as DQ8.

schuelma

Baki said:
Well MH: Freedom Unite has sold more units than DQ 8. That said, it is entirely possible that MH3P will not be as front loaded as DQ8.

I think you have to take into account all of the different releases for MH when comparing franchises though.

Not at all trying to diminish Monster Hunter on PSP at all..but I don't think you can say its on par with Dragon Quest yet.

schuelma

distantmantra said:
No first day numbers for EoE/AT3/etc.?

1st day numbers no longer happen. sinobi has been silenced :(

Baki

[Nintex] said:
Nintendo will launch a new Pokemon game on DS this year. Capcom will probably launch Monster Hunter 3 portable for the PSP instead of waiting for a system that may or may not sell decent at launch.
I think it is pretty much guaranteed that the PSP 2 will do gangbusters at launch (barring some crazy occurence such as FIVE HUNDRED AND NINTENY DOLLARSS). So that's not an issue. However the frontloadedness could be affected.

@schuelma: I was referring to system selling ability.

KingDizzi

Banned
schuelma said:
I think you have to take into account all of the different releases for MH when comparing franchises though.

Not at all trying to diminish Monster Hunter on PSP at all..but I don't think you can say its on par with Dragon Quest yet.

Indeed however I think it is pretty safe to say now that the handheld MH titles are the second biggest 3rd party franchises in Japan. When/if we get MHP3 that should do over 1 million first week and just keep going and going.

Either way I think Baki is going overboard with his PSP2 prediction, that said if the inevitable PSP successor (whenever it releases) did have a Monster Hunter game as a launch title, it will do very well to say the least. That is said without knowing what the next gen PSP will be like spec wise however going my logic I'm sure what makes handheld MH titles big will feature in the handheld.

Baki

KingDizzi said:
Indeed however I think it is pretty safe to say now that the handheld MH titles are the second biggest 3rd party franchises in Japan. When/if we get MHP3 that should do over 1 million first week and just keep going and going.

Either way I think Baki is going overboard with his PSP2 prediction, that said if the inevitable PSP successor (whenever it releases) did have a Monster Hunter game as a launch title, it will do very well to say the least. That is said without knowing what the next gen PSP will be like spec wise however going my logic I'm sure what makes handheld MH titles big will feature in the handheld.
Haha..to be honest. When I made my prediction, all I knew was that it was supposed to be big and I remembered someone saying the PS2 launched at 600K (which apparently is wrong)...

Capcom isn't going to announce Monster Hunter P3 until after Monster Hunter Tri releases out in the States. That is probably around when they are going to announce it along with MH3G Wii.

Eteric Rice

thestopsign said:
Capcom isn't going to announce Monster Hunter P3 until after Monster Hunter Tri releases out in the States. That is probably around when they are going to announce it along with MH3G Wii.

That, or Nintendo has an exclusitivity contract that will keep the game exclusive for a few months.

Hopefully we get MH3G in the USA. I don't want to rebuy a game for extra content.

Baki

Eteric Rice said:
That, or Nintendo has an exclusitivity contract that will keep the game exclusive for a few months.

Hopefully we get MH3G in the USA. I don't want to rebuy a game for extra content.
Hmmm...But how will an announcement of MH3P eat into US MH3 sales?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
In regards to our previous discussion though, I find it really surprisingly that people are so willing to predict sales the sales of The Last Story.

I mean, literally all we've seen of the game is an unfinished piece of concept art and a logo. Based on Sakaguchi's "a true next-gen RPG" statement, the game could be anything from the next Final Fantasy to the next Crystal Bearers.

At least we've seen Reginleiv and an old version of Monado, so I can understand predicting those.

donny2112

Baki said:
I remembered someone saying the PS2 launched at 600K (which apparently is wrong)...

Nope. I presumed too much. 630,552 GBA launched at 611,504. I still don't personally see a PSP2 launched in 2010 getting to those numbers, but it's not as far-fetched for a new release as I figured.

LINK.AGE76 said:
With all this MH3P on PSP2, what if it launched on DS2?

Multi-plat?

It'd probably need to have comparable specs to a PSP2 for that to fly.

Agnates

Banned
People are still talking about MH3P like it's actually happening? How about waiting for an announcement first? For all you know the next portable MH is going to be a new entry, or along the lines of incorporating Frontier content instead of 3 content, in both cases making it MHP3 instead of MH3P. Let's wait and see?

Dalthien

Baki said:
Hmmm...But how will an announcement of MH3P eat into US MH3 sales?
There would be the potential that some PSP owners would simply pass on the Wii version and wait for the PSP version if it was already confirmed to be coming.

From the way Capcom and Nintendo have been talking, it sounds as though Nintendo is going to make a pretty extensive and expensive marketing push for MH3. With Nintendo putting a significant investment into the game, it is certainly a possibility that they might have insisted on some sort of exclusivity deal for the game so that their marketing efforts weren't undercut by a PSP announcement.

In any case, I think that there is still a chance that MH3P comes to the DS2. If I was forced to make a guess, I would say that the odds are in the PSP's favour, but I wouldn't completely rule out the DS2 at this point. Nintendo and Capcom have clearly worked together pretty closely on MH3 for a long time now, and at this point, the DS2 has to be considered the odds-on favourite for next-gen dominance in Japan. Capcom missed the boat pretty badly on the DS this time around, and getting MH3P on the DS2 at launch would really give them a great foothold on the platform for next gen - something that they never achieved on the DS.

Like I said, I would put the odds of the game coming to the DS2 at less than half, but I wouldn't rule it out at this point. Of course, that is assuming that the DS2 will be launched within the next 15 months or so. Any later than that, and it's probably not even a remote possibility.

wrowa

Dalthien said:
There would be the potential that some PSP owners would simply pass on the Wii version and wait for the PSP version if it was already confirmed to be coming.
Both of them?

Nirolak said:
Are we assuming the DS2 has an analog stick for this question or just a d-pad and touchscreen?

I don't know, just a random question. You guys are right tho, we can't assume that much since we don't know how the next hardware will be like and the specs. Like some said, Sony should concentrate on PS3 this year and think about PSP2 for next year. I can see PSP4000 releasing this fall but not PSP2.

wrowa

I think the question whether the PSP2 or the DS2 is going to get the next Monster Hunter will be decided by the size of the wallets of certain companies :p

Takao

Banned
All you guys forgetting that Monster Hunter Diary: Poka Poka Village was announced to have items that could be carryed over to the next Monster Hunter Portable?

Takao said:
All you guys forgetting that Monster Hunter Diary: Poka Poka Village was announced to have items that could be carryed over to the next Monster Hunter Portable?

So the next MH will still be on the same PSP?

mutsu

LINK.AGE76 said:
So the next MH will still be on the same PSP?

I don't see why not. PSP still got life in it (at least in Japan), and with already a massive install base of Monster Hunter fans it would be insane not to release yet another entry on it.

spwolf

Baki said:
Hey, can anyone read this?

http://ps3hype.nl/psp-geruchten/5035-veel-nieuwe-details-uitgelekt-over-de-psp2

I got the gist of it via google translate. :lol :lol But I'm still iffy about the accuracy. :lol

No matter if true or not, features like those is the minimum what Sony has to provide... and probably maximum too as they will have to watch carefully for the price of the device.

It would be quite hillarious if it comes out same price as PS3 ;-).

Dascu said:
* Release date Japan (Target): Fall 2010
* PSP2 will include a PowerVR Graphics Chip (SGX543)
* It will have touch screen functionality
* It will probably also support motion/tilt controls
* Games would appear on some sort of memory stick
* Ready at Dawn is already working on a launch title
* There's going to be a Playstatioin Phone that shares the App store with the PSP2
* Announcement at E3 2010
* Finally 2 analog sticks

Do they mean an app store on PSN or something? Sony is trying to prep the PSN to be the do all/end all for Sony products, they have games, minis, comics, videos, vidzone, soon to have video on demand (qriocity) and music store is rumored to be coming as well. Considering how they're always talking about PSN and how big it'll be for them, there's no way they'd license a 3rd party app store when they could make much more money with their own app store.

Everything else sounds feasible though.

EDIT: Reading the google translation, it seems to say their own app store.

Well I hope the rumor is true, I do have a couple of more things on my wishlist that I'd want :)

EDIT 2: Random twitter account is the real source..... :/

Top Bottom