• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Jan. 18 - 24, 2010

Indyana

I know I'm new, but I find quite strange making predcitions about a game that we have only know his logo, a really brief "description" and a short piece of music.
7Th said:
Why would Sakaguchi be able to do with Nintendo's smaller budget what he couldn't do with Microsoft's huge budget?
Nintendo's "magic"? :D

Sales related, one could argue that even the Wii is more JRPG friendly than the 360.
LINK.AGE76 said:
That's why I think VS is really ambitious and way to early. I don't know how it will really work.
Sakaguchi has written about the combat system being something new and that has given him a lot of work.

Edit: partially beaten.

Jeels

7Th said:
Why would Sakaguchi be able to do with Nintendo's smaller budget what he couldn't do with Microsoft's huge budget?

Maybe because not as much is being put into trying to make it pretty and the fact that he has to work with the system's advantages and disadvantages, the game will contain more charm?

7Th

Indyana said:
Sales related, one could argue that even the Wii is more JRPG friendly than the 360.

Like schuelma said, recent precedent disagrees.

Jeels said:
Maybe because not as much is being put into trying to make it pretty and the fact that he has to work with the system's advantages and disadvantages, the game will contain more charm?

What happened to ASH, then?

Agnates

Banned
7Th said:
Do we even know their budget? Just because Microsoft is a bigger company overall doesn't mean that was a project they invested everything into... Besides, sometimes heart makes all the difference, and all we've heard so far points to a pretty promising deal... It's a joy to read the thoughts of someone who is actually passionate about what he's doing... Either way, it's all speculation, we're just going to have to wait and see.

7Th said:
And people disagree with the way that evidence was shown (and padded) as well as the conclusions drawn from them. Big deal? Nothing is set in stone.

7Th

Sakaguchi was pretty excited about Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon, too.

I'm just saying that getting excited right now has as much foundation as negatively thinking the game won't deliver.

Indyana

7Th said:
I know, that's why I phrased that way. And I'm not going to risk my account writing about FFXIII affecting Tales of Graces sales in a Media Create thread.

Agnates

Banned
7Th said:
Sakaguchi was pretty excited about Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon, too.

I'm just saying that getting excited right now has as much foundation as negatively thinking the game won't deliver.
Sales don't have to do with excitement. The game could sell 1 copy and I'd still be excited to play it if it seemed appealing to me :lol

Indyana

velvet_nitemare said:
Nintendo can be just as bad as any 3rd part dev at pushing their core games.
Actually Nintendo can be worse than any third party. Nintendo can announce a game few weeks before hitting the stores and do nothing to promote the game.

BTW, it was just a joke.

Chris1964 said:
This prediction is destined to fail. The only title from these I can see doing LTD<100K is Reginleiv.

You were right with Tales but wrong with NSBMW impact ;D

These old bones feel a bomba coming on, and it's going to be a mighty fine bomba too.

On a personal level, if Last Story is half as good as Blue Dragon, I'm going to be thrilled beyond belief.

C.T.

farnham said:
IF Nintendo continues their meager marketing for hardcore titles (see sin and punishment or excitebots) i can see those three titles selling 100k combined ltd.. but it looks like they changed their attitude a bit.. at least with reginleiv they are distributing demo discs and whatnot.. so maybe itll do a little better then 50k to 70k ltd...

Actually I don't agree. I saw a lot of tv commercials for sin and punishment 2. I think there just wasn't a market for it anymore...

7Th said:
Because budget doesn't mean anything when you're pretty much being told to clone Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest to a tee

cvxfreak

Wow, I witnessed half a dozen people buy Wii Fit Plus today in the span of five minutes, two of them with the system.
I was one of them.

Baki

7Th said:

What happened to ASH, then?

What? The Wii is way more RPG friendly than the XBox 360 could ever hope to be. 9.5M install base vs 1M? I know it is not as simple as comparing install bases, because it depends on the size of the RPG userbase within each respective console install base.

But if you look at Graces (a bomb on the Wii), it ranks with the top 3 games on the Xbox 360.

apujanata

cvxfreak said:
Wow, I witnessed half a dozen people buy Wii Fit Plus today in the span of five minutes, two of them with the system.
I was one of them.
Are those six Wii Fit Plus all bundled with Balance Board, or are some of them S/W only (those 2 with system are most probably is bundled with Balance Board, but not sure about the remaining 4 unit).

cvxfreak

apujanata said:
Are those six Wii Fit Plus all bundled with Balance Board, or are some of them S/W only (those 2 with system are most probably is bundled with Balance Board, but not sure about the remaining 4 unit).

Only 1 of them was standalone. Wii Fit Plus could be outselling NSMB Wii within a few months, perhaps.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
cvxfreak said:
Only 1 of them was standalone. Wii Fit Plus could be outselling NSMB Wii within a few months, perhaps.

That's interesting. I know initially the standalone's were outselling the BB packs according to Iwata.

gkryhewy

Agnates said:
Do we even know their budget? Just because Microsoft is a bigger company overall doesn't mean that was a project they invested everything into...

This is true, at least for Lost Odyssey. As much as I enjoyed that game, it had a definite sense of just barely enough money to be dragged over the finish line about it. Really inconsistent presentation.

Baki

I'm bored. So I have an interesting question for you guys. If the PSP 2 were to launch in late September in Japan. How much would you expect it to sell on launch week?

Also if there was also a Playstation Phone released alongside it. How would you expect that to fare?

Also how much would you expect the PSP2 to sell in launch week (and by the end of the year) if Monster Hunter P 3G was a launch title. Also how much would you expect Monster Hunter P 3G to sell?

iifu

Neo Member
Indyana said:
Actually Nintendo can be worse than any third party. Nintendo can announce a game few weeks before hitting the stores and do nothing to promote the game.
Nintendo values the "freshness" of their product information.

Baki said:
I'm bored. So I have an interesting question for you guys. If the PSP 2 were to launch in late September in Japan. How much would you expect it to sell on launch week?

Also if there was also a Playstation Phone released alongside it. How would you expect that to fare?

Also how much would you expect the PSP2 to sell in launch week (and by the end of the year) if Monster Hunter P 3G was a launch title. Also how much would you expect Monster Hunter P 3G to sell?
That's a lot of information, but it still leaves out things like price, supply, and Go-ness.

Baki

JoshuaJSlone said:
That's a lot of information, but it still leaves out things like price, supply, and Go-ness.

Lets assume they ditch the UMD drive in favour of carts. It launches at 24,980 yen and has no supply issues.

mclem

JoshuaJSlone said:
That's a thought that's just sprung to mind, actually; while it's been said frequently that the Japanese haven't really taken to downloadable software through PCs and Wifi, but does that mentality go through to the world of phones? I can't help but think that there's still going to be a certain key audience who'd be very open to using their phone to expand their repertoire of ringtones, wallpapers and mobile games.

In other words, if the PSPGo was a phone, too, would the Japanese be more open to getting one because they have an existing association with downloading things onto their phone than onto their handheld gaming device?

Dash Kappei said:
Again, are we talking LTDs?
Maybe over 300k.

LTDs. I figure personally there's like a 60% chance they don't make 250k together, and then out of that remaining 40% maybe 15% is the chance one of the two RPGs takes off and they add up to like 400k+ LTD.

LINK.AGE76 said:
The Last Story was registered with a "Nintendo Device".

The "Nintendo device" in that trademark registration is the red-text-in-red-oval Nintendo logo. :lol It doesn't have anything to fucking do with the Vitality Sensor.

schuelma said:
That's interesting. I know initially the standalone's were outselling the BB packs according to Iwata.

That only makes sense, though. Everyone who already had Wii Fit was going to upgrade right away since it was cheap to do so, which would've heavily tilted the figures, but now the upgrade sales have slowed down while the new adoption sales are continuing to have legs.

gerg

charlequin said:
The "Nintendo device" in that trademark registration is the red-text-in-red-oval Nintendo logo. :lol It doesn't have anything to fucking do with the Vitality Sensor.

Heh. Is "Nintendo device" patent-speak or something?

charlequin said:

*sssshhhhh*

It's far, far more fun to read the breathless speculation about the mystery Nintendo Device than it is to point out the rather mundane reality ;-)

ZOMG! The Last Story is shipping with a cerebrospinal interface to let you feel the passion Sakaguchi has poured into his game!

gerg said:
Heh. Is "Nintendo device" patent-speak or something?

http://www.bitlaw.com/trademark/index.html

Jeels

Dragona Akehi said:
I really hope you're not referring to Blue Dragon here.

Eh, despite the fact that Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon are nothing like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, its obvious that is what Microsoft wanted that early on in the generation.

Busaiku

schuelma said:
Sales of the bundle would be going up now, since it is the only way to get the Balance Board.

Takao

Banned
I have no hope for big numbers from the Sandlot game. It'll probably make money, and then never be brought to North America. Sakaguchi's game will sell less then Blue Dragon, but it'll do decent when you factor in budgets. Xenoblade/Monando/Monolithsoft disaster will do something, but what kind of something, I don't even know.

[Nintex]

I think that Xenoblade and the Last Story will do pretty well. Based on the fact that Iwata announced them when Nintendo presented their numbers to shareholders and the likes. This was more or less Iwata saying: "This is what I'm doing with our money!". So unless he wants to say how sorry he is that everything bombed in the next investors meeting, I think that Nintendo is going to push these games a little.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Baki said:
Lets assume they ditch the UMD drive in favour of carts/memory sticks. It launches at 24,980 yen and has no supply issues.
There problem is that we have no idea what the device would be like though.

I mean, sure, you mention a touch screen in the lower price, but that's one of about a hundred different things that could change with a second PSP.

If you had a hypothetical feature set and a slightly larger line-up than Monster Hunter it might be a bit easier to guess at, but then again, we're guessing on something rather precarious.

Somnid

charlequin said:

Well that would be news. They officially changed the colors to white and grey in 2006 :p.

Baki

Nirolak said:
There problem is that we have no idea what the device would be like though.

I mean, sure, you mention a touch screen in the lower price, but that's one of about a hundred different things that could change with a second PSP.

If you had a hypothetical feature set and a slightly larger line-up than Monster Hunter it might be a bit easier to guess at, but then again, we're guessing on something rather precarious.

:(

Dascu

Baki said:
Hey, can anyone read this?

http://ps3hype.nl/psp-geruchten/5035-veel-nieuwe-details-uitgelekt-over-de-psp2

I got the gist of it via google translate. :lol :lol But I'm still iffy about the accuracy. :lol
Translation said:
* Release date Japan (Target): Fall 2010
* PSP2 will include a PowerVR Graphics Chip (SGX543)
* It will have touch screen functionality
* It will probably also support motion/tilt controls
* Games would appear on some sort of memory stick
* Ready at Dawn is already working on a launch title
* There's going to be a Playstatioin Phone that shares the App store with the PSP2
* Announcement at E3 2010
* Finally 2 analog sticks

Top Bottom