• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales Jan 8 - 14

Haunted

Jonnyram said:
Retailers have only ordered 150k copies of VF5, so that's not gonna be hard :lol
Well, 150.000 aren't too bad considering the installed base up until now, right?

But are you saying that the arcade version will remain the more popular one in Japan, instead of the PS3 version? I always thought that VF5 was supposed to be the first big hit of the PS3 in Japan. I'm honestly asking here.

bud

Jonnyram said:
uh oh
DSlite: 110k
Wii: 96k
PSP: 45k
PS3: 34k
PS2: 24k
360: 9k

explosion%2022.JPG

Alcibiades

IF (a big IF) those numbers are real, with stacks and stacks of unsold PS3, did anybody not see this coming?

America isn't looking too different either. Perhaps an indication of what to expect of Jan./Feb. NPD?

Taurus

Bo130 said:
What's the source? Media-Create doesn't have it up yet and most likely won't for another 11 hours.
I was wondering the same thing too.

Prediction Jonnyram, or final numbers?

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Poor, poor 3rd parties

Seriously. They are getting ****ed for being slow to support the DS and being slow to understand that they either need to bring their major franchises to the DS or new game concepts that build on what Nintendo has succeeded with. I posted this last week, but it's an analysis of Famitsu's 2006 software data, and it really hammers home just how well Nintendo did and how badly the third parties with little DS support (or DS support that failed to sell) did.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5343503&postcount=759

Nintendo have done several things to attract consumers to their DS software:

- created original software that really uses the touch-screen and appeals to on-the-go gaming
- appealed to non-traditional users
- released their major franchises in a format that is successful on handhelds and which is also benefiting from the influx of non-traditional and ex-handheld users, hence the massive and sustained sales of their main franchises (in a way the GBA never saw)
- provided a constant stream of varied software for the user base

As a result Nintendo are dominating Japan like never before. They have greatly expanded their own software sales over 2005, their growth accounts for the vast majority of the total software sales growth the Japanese market saw in 2006, and they stimulated the most successful (by far) 12 months of hardware sales (despite continuous shortages) that the Japanese market has ever seen.

Third parties only have one option available to them, and that is to support the DS. Square Enix have realised this and shown that with the right software and without spending serious resources on development, they can emulate Nintendo's success (high LTD sales and "legs") without being lost in the sea of Nintendo published DS software. The challenge to 3rd parties will be not only to add to the total DS software sales but also to try and take a piece of Nintendo's pie.

I suspect that the big third party losers in Japan this generation are going to be those that are slow to support the DS in Japan this year. Some publishers may prefer to focus on X360 software, which seems to have been a great move for Capcom at the moment, but I'd be amazed if Konami, BandaiNamco, Capcom, and Sega didn't reveal substantial original and major franchise support for the DS in 2007/8 - this hardware will be the most successful hardware 2005 - 2010.

The irony is that Nintendo doesn't actually need a great deal of 3rd party support on the DS!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
So PS3 managed to drop under the 50K mark. I guess it might need some software. Just a feeling.

As for the Wii, Japan has definetly embraced the gaming phenomenon that's less attracting to me, so I'm somewhat glad not to leave over there (while I was dreaming about it in the past). Looks like "next gen" gaming is dead on arrival in Japan.

Alcibiades

Shiggy said:
Jonnyram is a trustworthy user, isn't he?
he just posted them with an "uh oh", maybe they are predictions? or early estimates? I wouldn't be surprised if they were real, but we should exercise caution...

Jonnyram

Just to clarify... those numbers might not be Media Create. Maybe Famitsu or Dengeki. The guy's software numbers are a bit higher than M.Create's, and I don't think it's just because of rounding either.

DS
DQM: 50k/940k
Pokemon: 60k/4.58m
NSMB: 40k/3.99m
More Brain Age: 37k/3.89m
Kirby: 26k/820k
Common Sense: 43k/1.06m
'butsu Mori: 35k/3.78m
Mario Kart: 23k/1.87m
JUS: 20k/620k
Rockman: 20k/300k
Brain Age: 15k/3.06m
Eigozuke: 20k/1.58m

Wii
Sports 70k/780k
Play 64k/700k
Wario 20k/270k
DBZ 9k/52k

PSP
MGS PO: 20k/270k
TOW: 15k/170k
MHp Best: 17k/195k

PS2
RGG2: 18k/530k
Mana4: 12k/280k
YuYu: 12k

Shiggy

Alcibiades said:
he just posted them with an "uh oh", maybe they are predictions? or early estimates? I wouldn't be surprised if they were real, but we should exercise caution...

I thought he posted that due to the low PS3 sales^^

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
Jonnyram said:
uh oh
DSlite: 110k
Wii: 96k
PSP: 45k
PS3: 34k
PS2: 24k
360: 9k

Nice to see that at least one of the next gen consoles sells well in Japan but nothing can stop the DS.

Haunted

Jonnyram said:
Just to clarify... those numbers might not be Media Create. Maybe Famitsu or Dengeki. The guy's software numbers are a bit higher than M.Create's, and I don't think it's just because of rounding either.
So the hardware numbers are not M-C numbers - but you're saying his numbers are generally a bit higher than M-C's?

uh oh.

Jonnyram said:
Rockman: 20k/300k

I dunno about the reliability of the numbers, but seriously, this game should be doing a lot more than 300K at this point. Although given it's slow start, that it's managed to crawl up here isn't half bad.

Jonnyram

Haunted_One said:
So the hardware numbers are not M-C numbers - but you're saying his numbers are generally a bit higher than M-C's
On comparison of past data, it looks like these are Famitsu numbers.

DS after 7 weeks:

SM64DS: 593,831 (36 %)
Wario Ware: 575,069 (35 %)

Wii after 7 weeks:
~ 1,211,000

Wii Sports: 794,117 (66 %)
Wii Play: 719,090 (59 %)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
If those numbers are true the 360 party of 5 digit weeks certainly is over. The Xbox 360 thread over at 2ch will certainly be sad. Then again Gears of War actually seems to be selling very well over here considering the installed user base. The 360 might be able to pull off another 2 or 3 weeks of 5 digits before the drought (assuming nothing gets announced) hits in March.

It is nice to finally see more realistic PS3 numbers, though. It was getting awful suspicious to see the thing sell almost exactly 70k units each week when they don't seem to be moving at all in the stores.

Edit: Oh they are Famitsu numbers? So they are for last week then?

KINGMOKU

The_lascar said:
DS after 7 weeks:

SM64DS: 593,831 (36 %)
Wario Ware: 575,069 (35 %)

Wii after 7 weeks:
~ 1,211,000

Wii Sports: 794,117 (66 %)
Wii Play: 719,090 (59 %)
The Wii numbers are absolutly crazy. For comparisons sake, it is beating the N64 during the same amount of time on store shelves by over 300,000 units, and is absolutly destructing the Gamecube in the same amount of weeks, by over a million units already.

1.2million units in 7weeks, in what took the Gamecube 23weeks.

Unless the bottom just falls the **** out of Wii sales, it will easily destroy what the Gamecube did in Japan.

Leonsito

moku said:
The Wii numbers are absolutly crazy. For comparisons sake, it is beating the N64 during the same amount of time on store shelves by over 300,000 units, and is absolutly destructing the Gamecube in the same amount of weeks, by over a million units already.

1.2million units in 7weeks, in what took the Gamecube 23weeks.

Unless the bottom just falls the **** out of Wii sales, it will easily destroy what the Gamecube did in Japan.

IIRC Wii has sold 30% of what Gamecube did in Japan in his lifetime.

MrSardonic said:
Seriously. They are getting ****ed for being slow to support the DS and being slow to understand that they either need to bring their major franchises to the DS or new game concepts that build on what Nintendo has succeeded with. I posted this last week, but it's an analysis of Famitsu's 2006 software data, and it really hammers home just how well Nintendo did and how badly the third parties with little DS support (or DS support that failed to sell) did.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5343503&postcount=759

Nintendo have done several things to attract consumers to their DS software:

- created original software that really uses the touch-screen and appeals to on-the-go gaming
- appealed to non-traditional users
- released their major franchises in a format that is successful on handhelds and which is also benefiting from the influx of non-traditional and ex-handheld users, hence the massive and sustained sales of their main franchises (in a way the GBA never saw)
- provided a constant stream of varied software for the user base

As a result Nintendo are dominating Japan like never before. They have greatly expanded their own software sales over 2005, their growth accounts for the vast majority of the total software sales growth the Japanese market saw in 2006, and they stimulated the most successful (by far) 12 months of hardware sales (despite continuous shortages) that the Japanese market has ever seen.

Third parties only have one option available to them, and that is to support the DS. Square Enix have realised this and shown that with the right software and without spending serious resources on development, they can emulate Nintendo's success (high LTD sales and "legs") without being lost in the sea of Nintendo published DS software. The challenge to 3rd parties will be not only to add to the total DS software sales but also to try and take a piece of Nintendo's pie.

I suspect that the big third party losers in Japan this generation are going to be those that are slow to support the DS in Japan this year. Some publishers may prefer to focus on X360 software, which seems to have been a great move for Capcom at the moment, but I'd be amazed if Konami, BandaiNamco, Capcom, and Sega didn't reveal substantial original and major franchise support for the DS in 2007/8 - this hardware will be the most successful hardware 2005 - 2010.

The irony is that Nintendo doesn't actually need a great deal of 3rd party support on the DS!

Best post of this thread. I agree 110%. I love the concept of third parties lost in the sea of Nintendo's games.

Ceb

Zefah said:
It is nice to finally see more realistic PS3 numbers, though. It was getting awful suspicious to see the thing sell almost exactly 70k units each week when they don't seem to be moving at all in the stores.

:lol

Sony bought all of them and buried them in the Chinese desert!!! UH OH.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Pureauthor said:
I dunno about the reliability of the numbers, but seriously, this game should be doing a lot more than 300K at this point. Although given it's slow start, that it's managed to crawl up here isn't half bad.
capcom ****ed up tho, i mean 3 skus? what were they thinking?

Just when I mentioned PS3 sales being higher than what they should be, boom :lol totally saw this one coming...

Now, ToW 15k last week for 170k LTD (in Famitsu which tracks it lower than MC) and in top20 again this week...didn't see this one coming.

I hope Kirby stays near the top10 so we can see it reach 1m, although its to take a while with the slow weeks coming. Jump Ultimate Stars very good legs, Love & Berry hitting 1m seems that it will take its time...I wonder where is FF3 btw.

WiiSports is like 5 Minna games in one package....and its probably what Sony should have done...hey, maybe now they will do it. Minna no Sports! :lol

150k Virtua Fighter 5 sounds good...it would be the best selling PS3 game :lol
I wonder what do the shops and Namco-Bandai-Koei think Gundam Musou will do...PS3 base is not looking that it'll grow fast enough so this title has a chance to do 1m. Actually I think it won't do even just half that, maybe its because I hate how cash-in it looks, because it had potential and I don't think they will deliver :(

creamsugar

More MC numbers

18 Wii Zelda 17,000 342,000
28 Wii DragonBallZ 12,000 78,000
67 Wii Bleach 3,700 46,000 
72 Wii Elebits 3,500 35,000 
96 Wii SD Gundam 5,000 30,000 (1/1 ~ 1.7 number)

36 DS Shiren 7,400 147,000 
38 DS FF3 7,200 964,000 
43 DS Power Pro Kun Pocket 9 5,800 100,000 
55 DS Chocobo 4,700 82,000 
88 DS Tingle RPG 5,700 213,000 (1/1 ~ 1.7 number)

40 PS3 Resistance: Fall of Man 6,300 100,000
48 PS3 Gundam 5,200 116,000

jarrod

Banned
I dunno, I still think Gundam Musou has the off chance of actually driving PS3 sales... 1m is a lot to ask though, but I don't any other games this year with a better chance of hitting that figure on PS3. DMC4 & MGS4 certainly won't...

haircut

If, IF, those hardware numbers are true it doesn't say good things for PS3 demand.

With sales at this purported rate would Sony be more likely to slash production or prices?

Top Bottom