• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Oct 12-18, 2009

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
schuelma said:
It's possible, but I still think its unlikely. Wii did about 450K last December with Animal Crossing. I think its going to do very very well with NSMB Wii.
NSMB Wii will end the battle for the best selling home console this year.

Busaiku said:
Is Beatmania IIDX 16 the last "notable" PS2 title?
Or is there some game that will sell 50k+ in a week that I just don't know about?
I'll be surprised if there will be another game that will sell 50K LTD this year, with the upcoming releases. If Winning Eleven 2010 comes out for PS2 maybe it will sell 50K+ week 1.

Media Create: Uncharted 2 sellthrough is 73,18%, sold out the first two days at some stores.

This week PS2 hit again new low (for 4th continued week) and so did DSL.
The previous DSL low was 3.559 from the week beginning Nov 10, 2008.

Raist

Banned
schuelma said:
It's possible, but I still think its unlikely. Wii did about 450K last December with Animal Crossing. I think its going to do very very well with NSMB Wii.

FFXIII? Or would that be too LTTP?
Had GT5 been released, it would have pretty much been a given. Now that I think of it, maybe that's why they "delayed" it.

bttb said:
Famitsu.com made an error for the week of 09/28-10/04. Mana Khemia sold 7,060 and should be at #18 rather than #24.
This site
updates with data from Famitsu magazine instead of Famitsu.com. You can see Mana Khemia's actual figure listed at #322.
So there IS a reason. Nice!

Johann

ethelred said:
So I decided to look up the last time a new IP RPG hit platinum status, and outside of Kingdom Hearts (which is more like a licensed collaboration than a traditional new IP), the last time was Parasite Eve in 1998... though PE was also based on preexisting works outside of video games. The last time before that was Arc the Lad and Chrono Trigger in 1995. This is a genre which appeals to a segment of the population that's very reliant on what's already established and safe, and we're looking at it in an era in which even most series in that genre are seeing declines from their previous highs. Yet Level-5 might manage to create the first genuinely new million seller in over a decade. Or maybe two. It really is impressive.

I thought the first Xenosaga game (I remember Namco spent a bundle promoting it) managed a million in Japan but it looks like tapered off about halfway through. It goes to show you the sheer dominance of Square-Enix has over the genre.

However, Level 5 has really come far they have come from being the new-kid-on-the-block/DQ code monkey. SE has to be genuinely afraid of what Level 5 will pull off in the future. In many cases, Level 5 has succeeded where SE tried and failed. L5 has not only successfully made significant strides in Japan's RPG market through a new IP but also has a worldwide hit with Layton (which seems easy to sequel-ize in addition to the Sloane and Mchale budget titles). Incidentally, their Achilles heel appears to be the big-budget home console RPG, Square's territory.

donny2112

bttb said:

This site
updates with data from Famitsu magazine instead of Famitsu.com.

Oh, that's why they had Mana-Khemia 2 different. I thought it was just them randomly changing numbers to prevent people copying their data. I found it weird as the data was right there available on Famitsu.com. :lol

bttb said:
Edit: Yahoo and Oricon also have MK2 at #18.

Excellent. Thanks for clearing that up, bttb! :D

06./00. [WII] Okami (Capcom) - 23,810 / NEW
nvwjfs.jpg

Johann said:
However, Level 5 has really come far they have come from being the new-kid-on-the-block/DQ code monkey. SE has to be genuinely afraid of what Level 5 will pull off in the future. In many cases, Level 5 has succeeded where SE tried and failed. L5 has not only successfully made significant strides in Japan's RPG market through a new IP but also has a worldwide hit with Layton (which seems easy to sequel-ize in addition to the Sloane and Mchale budget titles). Incidentally, their Achilles heel appears to be the big-budget home console RPG, Square's territory.

When it comes to the console market, it seems that Level5 are becoming increasingly less adventurous with their ideas. As far as doing something different for the home systems they peaked with Dark Chronicle. Progressing to Rogue Galaxy then WKC they're becoming more and more conventional with their games.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Die Squirrel Die said:
When it comes to the console market, it seems that Level5 are becoming increasingly less adventurous with their ideas. As far as doing something different for the home systems they peaked with Dark Chronicle. Progressing to Rogue Galaxy then WKC they're becoming more and more conventional with their games.

I think there is a distinction between the software they work on at the direction of Sony and their self-published stuff.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
wrowa said:
Wow, a port of a game that is three years old sells less than the original release? Man, you cannot imagine how shocked I am.

?

I just thought it was interesting for folks to read, I went and look for it on JJS's Garaph website so I thought I might as well post it, I think it sold pretty good all things considering. Even if we heard Capcom marketed the game stronger what we might have expected for a so-late port like this one.

Joshua, I don't get it.
Care to explain the joke? :)

I think my .jpg is perfectly readable and with zero artifacts, it is not? :/

Dash Kappei said:
I think my .jpg is perfectly readable and with zero artifacts, it is not? :/
Readable, yeah, though there are definitely artifacts. A JPEG capture of text and a PNG image just seems like a weird way to go about things.
cvxfreak said:
Okami's actually in line with RE0 and REmake's Wii ports.
Hmm, you're right. 23.2K and 23.5K first weeks, respectively.

onken

I don't know why they didn't go with Uncharted 2: The Golden Dagger and the Lost Fleet in English, much catchier.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
JoshuaJSlone said:
Readable, yeah, though there are definitely artifacts. A JPEG capture of text and a PNG image just seems like a weird way to go about things.

I know, but it is just a lot quicker for me since I have everything in my Snow Leopard's custom bar to snap it up and upload it in a couple of seconds top.
Main thing is that it has to be perfectly readable tho, that's why I asked :)

Olaeh

I wonder if Okamiden at TGS had any influence on people picking up the first one for Wii? Probably not enough to make any difference at all, but still, I am very surprised.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
This is actually a pretty good example. You say Uncharted increased 8k from first day to first week, yes? Since the first week sales were 17k, it went from 9k first day to an average of 2.67k the three following days. That's a much less drastic drop than U2's 47k first day to 2.67k the three following. (Sequels are generally expected to be more frontloaded than original games, but that's still pretty extreme.)
(I took this quote from the previous Media Create thread. I am posting in this thread instead of bumping the older thread.)

Yep, i think that Uncharted 1 increased something like 8k from the first day to the first week at least unless i am mistaken. How do you mean that it is a less drastic drop for Uncharted 1? Do you mean that it is a higher percentage increase for Uncharted 1? If yes, that is true indeed, but i was wondering about how many copies western games usually sell from first day to first week in Japan and how 8k compares to how other western games sells.

I checked how some other big titled western titles like Halo 3, Gears of War 2, Little Big Planet and Resistance 2 sold in Japan. These games seems to have an increase of around 12k-17k from first day sales to first week sales. Killzone 2 had a bigger increase with 23k. GTA4 (the PS3 version) had an even bigger increase with 45k. The increase seems to variate a bit depending on which title there is, but from what i can see it doesnt seem to be that uncommon that some western games doesnt see that big of an increase from the first day sales to the first weeks sales.

Regarding Uncharted 2's increase in Japan, it seems to be some lower compared to some other western titles indeed, but it isnt exactly that much lower compared to how some other western games sells (12k vs 8k for example), at least in my opinion. But i do agree that 8k isnt exactly a very high number and i do admit that i though that the increase would be a bit higher. I am not saying that 8k is a big increase or anything like that, i was just wondering how this 8k increase compared to how other western games in Japan :)

But if Uncharted 2 only increased 8k, this isnt really that much of bad news in my opinion (i dont know if anyone here says that this is bad news though). A bigger first day to first week sales increase would be nice though, there is no doubt about that, but concidering that Uncharted 2 has far in only 1 week sold about the same as what Uncharted 1 did, Uncharted 2 has already preformed good compared to Uncharted 1, at least in my opinion :) And Uncharted 2 sold about 80% of it's first shipment in the first week i think, which also is pretty good in itself, at least in my opinion.

I will be a bit suprised if Uncharted 2 falls out of the Top 30 next week, so hopefully we will get 2nd week numbers as well :) I dont expect a big increase though, but i think that it shall be interesting to see the 2nd week numbers (if we get them) anyway.

I also wonder if some people that recently bought the re-release of Uncharted 1 will wait a bit before they buy Uncharted 2 (if they are interested in Uncharted 2). I dont expect a big increase in sales just to underline that, but i think that it shall be interesting to see how Uncharted 2 will sell in the upcoming weeks at least. Uncharted 2 has sold good compared to Uncharted 1 so far, so all extra sales for Uncharted 2 might be concidered as a "bonus" (or what i shall say)? :)

EDIT: Speaking about first day numbers, does anyone here keep the first day numbers in a database that can be accessed? I think that this might be handy instead of searching through several of older Media Create threads to find the first day numbers. I dont have any problems searching through older Media Create threads though, but i still think that it would nice if there was a website or so (like Garaph.info for example) that has a list of all first day numbers :)

EDIT 2: I added some text.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
bttb said:
Famitsu First Day Sales (10/22)

[PSP] Antiphona no Seikahime: Tenshi no Gakufu Op.A (Nippon Ichi Software) - SE 2,600 (18%) / LE 2,200 (49%)
Oww. Nippon Ichi hasn't been having much luck with non-Disgaea games lately.

This one was actually developed directly by them as well, wasn't it?

Zihark

bttb said:
Famitsu First Day Sales (10/22)

[NDS] Rune Factory 3 (Marvelous Entertainment) - 37,000 (49%)
[PS3] FIFA Soccer 10 (Electronic Arts) - 15,000 (66%)
[PSP] Shin Sangoku Musou 5 Special (Koei) - 12,000 (15%)
[360] Forza Motorsport 3 (Microsoft) - LE 11,000 (70%) / SE 4,500 (44%)
[360] FIFA Soccer 10 (Electronic Arts) - 5,500 (52%)
[PSP] Antiphona no Seikahime: Tenshi no Gakufu Op.A (Nippon Ichi Software) - SE 2,600 (18%) / LE 2,200 (49%)
[NDS] Element Hunter (Bandai Namco Games) - 2,300 (25%)
[PSP] Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 3: Unmei no Meikyuu Aizouban (Koei) - SE 2,100 (32%) / TB 1,800 (50%)
[NDS] Kurayami no Hate de Kimi wo Matsu (D3 Publisher) - SE 1,900 (48%) / LE 770 (49%)
[PSP] FIFA Soccer 10 (Electronic Arts) - 1,800 (16%)
[PS2] FIFA Soccer 10 (Electronic Arts) - 990 (16%)
[NDS] Grand Trucker Aniki: Shigoto to Kenka to Koimoyou (Generprise) - 640 (22%)

http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1256217371/147

SE = Standard Edition / LE = Limited Edition / TB = Treasure Box
Looks like RF3 is the top game of the week:) Tho, I think numbers are down from previous entries, anyone got rf1 and 2 first week numbers, I know rff did 20k in first week

king zell

Zihark said:
Looks like RF3 is the top game of the week:) Tho, I think numbers are down from previous entries, anyone got rf1 and 2 first week numbers, I know rff did 20k in first week

Rune Factory 39.973
Rune Factory 2 56.082

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
First week sales for the bigger titles by famitsu:

[DS] Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon (Marvelous Entertainment) - 39.973
[DS] Rune Factory 2 (Marvelous Entertainment) - 56.082

[PS3] FIFA 09 (Electronic Arts Victor) - 12.588

[PS3] Dynasty Warriors 6 (Koei) - 176.180
[360] Dynasty Warriors 6 (Koei) - 26.705
[PS2] Dynasty Warriors 6: Special (Koei) - 115.200
[PS3] Dynasty Warriors 6: Empires (Koei) - 78.680
[360] Dynasty Warriors 6: Empires (Koei) - 17.269

[XB] Forza Motorsport (Microsoft Game Studios) - 3.096
[360] Forza Motorsport 2 (Microsoft Game Studios) - 9.870

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
DS needs almost 2 more million units to pass the 30 million mark. 2009 has 11 weeks remaining. The previous years in the last 11 weeks of the year it had sold:

2004: launch
2005: 2.258.189
2006: 2.337.171
2007: 1.510.635
2008: 1.507.880

It can't match 2005 and 2006 (huge sales the last 6 weeks) but it should be very close to 2007 and 2008. 30 million by end of the fiscal year looks like a safe bet.

Next (and final) target is GB/GBC with 32.430.000 units.
Before 2010 ends DS will become the best selling console of all time in Japan.

Grampasso

7Th said:
It's going to be all about NSMB versus FFXIII.
Well it's a probable strong legged title against a totally frontloaded one... I bet on NSMBWii to be the winner (to drive HW sales I mean), the release date is perfect for it to sustain Wii sales through december.

Kaako said:
Sony Japan...better marketing for Uncharted 2 now please. I want people from the far east to experience this awesome game as well so only word of mouth may not be enough. Market the hell outta that baby. :D

They want to make money not burn it.

Tiktaalik

I don't know soccer games that well, but I thought recently FIFA had sort of taken the crown, or at least achieved parity with Winning Eleven/Pro Evolution Soccer. I'm guessing this isn't at all the case in Japan and the FIFA brand is somehow shit no matter how good the game gets?

Tiktaalik said:
I don't know soccer games that well, but I thought recently FIFA had sort of taken the crown, or at least achieved parity with Winning Eleven/Pro Evolution Soccer. I'm guessing this isn't at all the case in Japan and the FIFA brand is somehow shit no matter how good the game gets?
FIFA Soccer World Championship came out 2-3 months after PS2 launch and sold over 250K. None since 2002 have passed 100K.

It's a step up for PS3 FIFA, though. Last year's game sold 13K first week and was at 24K by the end of the year.

onipex

schuelma said:
*disclaimer- I have been wrong about the PS3 for the last 2 months, take my opinion with a grain of salt*

It's possible, but I think its unlikely.

One, FF13 hits the 17th. That gives it about 2 weeks on the 2009 charts. NSMB Wii hits 12/3, virtually the entire month.

Second, and this is really why I think it is unlikely- the Wii is traditionally strong in December leaving aside any killer app or system mover. For perspective, last year Wii did about 415K from Dec. 1st through Dec. 28th. It had 2 weeks over 100K. And this was with a horrible lineup. The biggest game to release that month was Taiko Wii. Animal Crossing was the middle of November. Now, for this year add in NSMB Wii on Dec. 3 and add in a much healthier overall lineup for the month (Tales of Graces, Samurai Warriors 3, Pikachu's Mediocre MiniGame Adventure), and a lower price, and I think we can safely project that Wii will do at least 500K (and I think that is being conservative).

So that means the PS3 would have to to absolutely unprecedented numbers to get higher than the Wii. Remember, the first 2 weeks are pretty empty..last year PS3 did about 30K for the first 2 weeks of Dec. Let's double that, and we have 120K sold leading up to FF13. Now, I think FF13 is going to be huge..but to get above 500K which is what I think it would need to do, hardware sales would have to probably do 200K for the last 2 weeks of the year, which would be 50K higher than any week in PS3 history (which was the PS3 slim launch).

Long story short, given Wii's holiday strength and pretty solid lineup, I think its unlikely.

I think Nintendo is also doing console and controller bundles for Tales of Graces and Samurai Warriors 3. With Pikachu's Adventure also coming out that is 3 wild cards that could cause a bump in hw sales not counting NSMB.

schuelma said:

but PS3 has FF13...
will Sony be able to supply all the PS3 demand in the 3 hottest week of the year ?

Moor-Angol said:
but PS3 has FF13...
will Sony be able to supply all the PS3 demand in the 3 hottest week of the year ?

Just to add some more info, according to garaph this is what the launches of FFX and FFXII looked like (software/hardware):

FFX

Pre-launch
--- / 88,286
Week 1
1,749,737 / 156,471
Week 2
233,429 / 103,263
Week 3
85,703 / 75,283
Week 4
47,152 / 69,158
Week 5
37,582 / 69,159
Week 6
25,033 / 60,019

FFXII
Pre-launch
--- / 22,820
Week 1
1,840,397 / 58,502
Week 2
217,438 / 42,881
Week 3
91,078 / 36,574
Week 4
45,495 / 31,189
Week 5
26,816 / 30,005
Week 6
18,868 / 24,827

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Moor-Angol said:
but PS3 has FF13...
What are you expecting from PS3? The last four weeks of the year it has sold:

2006: 269.722
2007: 212.716
2008: 149.122

Personally I don't see it doing more than 400K and that's the optimistic scenario. What's the number you see and expect supply problems?

Top Bottom