• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Sep 14 - 20, 2009

Road

juicyfruitas said:
and that concludes japan's experiment with going JRPG timed-exclusive on the 360
And it went great, for Namco at least.

ToV is shaping up to total 500k between the two versions. Not sure if it would have sold more if it wasn't timed exclusive -- there would be way less double-dipping from fans.

markatisu

juicyfruitas said:
and that concludes japan's experiment with going JRPG timed-exclusive on the 360

Why? They can whore the JRPG base with a 360 version, add some small content and make 100%+ on the PS3 months later :lol

cvxfreak

Namco could have put Vesperia on PS3 last year and come out with a Director's Cut afterwards.

Either way, every HD Tales should be multiplatform from now own.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
It seems we won't get the famitsu leak this week. Since there are no famitsu numbers, according to m-create this is Pokemon's second best week ever.

Pokemon Diamond / Pearl - 254.080 / 212.193 (466.273)
Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver - 220.554 / 222.579 (443.133)
Pokemon Ruby / Sapphire - 174.876 / 173.575 (348.451)
Pokemon Fire Red / Leaf Green - 148.000 / 122.900 (270.900)

The only other Pokemon that can beat HG / SS second week is the original Heart / Gold which, according to famitsu, sold 438.280.

If HG / SS doesn't fall below 250k next week I say from now that 4M are a lock for this year, since there is no other big title for DS to compete it this year (unless Square Enix wants to surprise us all).

Dragon Quest IX is a wild card. It shows very good legs and it will remain in the charts until the new year. But what impact the holidays will have on it remains a question.

I see there are some posters still expecting PS3 to beat Wii this year in Japan. I say it again. No way.

onken

Good hardware retention for PS3, how much was due to ToV I wonder. I guess next week will be a better indicator, since there's no big titles out. Pokemon doing surprisingly well too considering almost total sell-out.

donny2112

Chris1964 said:
It seems we won't get the famitsu leak this week.

I'm sure it'll come eventually. GPara hasn't updated, yet, so there's probably still some catch-up going on from Silver Week and TGS. Monday morning, maybe.

Chris1964 said:
I see there are some posters still expecting PS3 to beat Wii this year in Japan. I say it again. No way.

i still think PS3 may sell more than wii this year.
the first TGS days gave me a good impression about PS3 line-up for the incoming months (for example, WE 2010 bundle is a good move).
let's see at the end of october which is the difference between PS3 and wii YTD's.
If the difference is still 100k or more, i really doubt PS3 can have bigger YTD
If the difference is 50k or less, well.. it will be interesting to see the holiday season over there

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
donny2112 said:
I'm sure it'll come eventually. GPara hasn't updated, yet, so there's probably still some catch-up going on from Silver Week and TGS. Monday morning, maybe.
I meant we won't get the famitsu leak of this week, this week.

EDIT: PS3 simply doesn't have the software to beat Wii this year. I'm pretty sure there was a Winning Eleven bundle last year too. The only hardware driver title is FF XIII, and that isn't coming until the 51st week of 2009 (anyone knows if 2009 has 52 or 53 weeks?). Don't get surprised if you see a big drop in sales after Silver week.

Road

NSMBWii and the new price point would have to produce no effect whatsoever on Wii for the PS3 to beat it on YTD. Even after the last three weeks, it is still roughly 100k behind (MC). Without GT5 coming in December, PS3's chances are even lower now.

That selling more than Wii in Sep, Oct, Nov and Dec bet is more achievable.

Edit:

Since Aug. 31:

PS3 - 258,185
Wii - 55,823

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
m-create:
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------
| System  | week 1 | week 2 | week 3 | week 4 | week 5 |
|------------------------------------------------------|
|Black WII|  95.357|  47.140|  47.732|  26.972|  25.038|
| Slim PS3| 151.783|  55.344|  51.055|        |        |
--------------------------------------------------------
Will the pattern continue?

Grimmy

Banned
Chris1964 said:
I meant we won't get the famitsu leak of this week, this week.

EDIT: PS3 simply doesn't have the software to beat Wii this year. I'm pretty sure there was a Winning Eleven bundle last year too. The only hardware driver title is FF XIII, and that isn't coming until the 51st week of 2009 (anyone knows if 2009 has 52 or 53 weeks?). Don't get surprised if you see a big drop in sales after Silver week.

You forgot about the new Winning Eleven, which is most likely coming out this year too (rihgt now its date is still not finalised).

cvxfreak

I don't think PS3 will beat Wii this year, either. Or any year for that matter.

I'm also very surprised people expected GT5 this year. Was it announced as so originally? I always thought it was way too close to GT PSP if December were true.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
jrricky said:
Because of Vesperia?
Because of the influx of new users?

cvxfreak said:
I'm also very surprised people expected GT5 this year. Was it announced? I always thought it was way too close to GT PSP if December were true.
Some rumors and leaks of [fake I suppose] Euro ads for GT5 bundles + 250GB Slims.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
cvxfreak said:
I don't think PS3 will beat Wii this year, either. Or any year for that matter.

I'm also very surprised people expected GT5 this year. Was it announced as so originally? I always thought it was way too close to GT PSP if December were true.
The same guy who told us we would see a GT5 trailer at E3 with damage, that GT PSP was coming back at E3 for an october launch, gave track/car details which were pretty much spot on etc told us it was coming on Christmas. It's likely the game slipped. Or maybe Square-Enix pushed it. ;)

Minsc

Gold Member
cvxfreak said:
I don't think PS3 will beat Wii this year, either. Or any year for that matter..

Well if the YTDs stay ~100K apart over the next few months in to december, surely FFXIII can sell that many PS3s? There's bound to be a hardware bundle right?

Road

Chris1964 said:
Winning Eleven is not hardware driver. The release date is November 5.
It will at least produce a bump. Haha

What's up in the air is if the PES buying PS2 crowd that has not yet jumped to the PS3 will decide to do so this year with the cheaper price. On the other hand, the Wii version (I guess) will (finally) come out this year too, which could diminish any positive effect for the PS3.

It looks like PS3 has really turned itself around. Has there ever been another system (besides PSP, which is still losing technically, but did well for itself) that has done a similar thing?

Nintendo fucked the Wii in Japan.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Minsc said:
Well if the YTDs stay ~100K apart over the next few months in to december, surely FFXIII can sell that many PS3s? There's bound to be a hardware bundle right?

I think that is unlikely given the price drop, Wii Fit +, and NSMB Wii, all of which will be hitting before FF13.

zero_suit

Dragona Akehi said:
It looks like PS3 has really turned itself around. Has there ever been another system (besides PSP, which is still losing technically, but did well for itself) that has done a similar thing?

It's far too early to come to that conclusion.

gerg

Dragona Akehi said:

Half of me wants to say "Nintendo is doomed, amirite?" and half of me wants to agree.

: /

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I'm trying to find where Nintendo will put New Super Mario Bros. Wii and I see that there aren't many ''open'' weeks in November. These are the major titles Wii has.

05/11/09: Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo)
12/11/09: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers (Square Enix)
19/11/09: Samurai Warriors 3 (Koei)
26/11/09: Naruto: Shippuden Ryujinki (Takara Tomy)

There is only one date: 26/11/09
The fact that Crystal Bearers slipped two weeks earliers from this date almost confirms it. Either way at Kyoto event or October Conference Nintendo will announce when the game will come out.

jman2050

Dragona Akehi said:

Saying the same thing 500 times doesn't make it true.

luxe7

Neo Member
Interfectum said:
Not really.

The ps3 have many pricecuts and 1 redesign with only three weeks, and the wii have 0 redesigns and 1 pricecut with 0 weeks, i think is tooo early.

Yoboman said:
Hmm, could it level out around 40 - 50k?

Well, I think to assume that, you'd also have to assume that Vesperia produced no bump effect this week, which seems pretty unlikely to me given how well it sold.

I honestly expect it to settle out somewhere between 10 and 25k (with where it falls in that spectrum telling us a lot about just how much the price was still holding back the system before) in the period between now and FFXIII, unless there's some major release between now and then that I'm forgetting.

Blablurn said:
With FFXIII around the corner it seems like the PS3 can beat the Wii in YTD. realistic or not? i mean, wii is still getting wii fit + and new super mario bros wii.

It's definitely a strong possibility, but I won't feel safe making any prediction until the Wii pricedrop gets measured.

cvxfreak said:
Either way, every HD Tales should be multiplatform from now own.

Insert "every one of zero" joke here.

donny2112

Interfectum said:
Not really.

Is it too early to come to the conclusion that PS3 has "really turned itself around"? Yes.

PSP hardware turned around, but the software sales were still "meh." They were just significantly better than before PSP-2000. Therefore if PS3 does something similar, it's still not that great. However, I don't see hardware turning around big without accompanying software turning around big for PS3, which is what happened with PSP.

Is it too early to say that Nintendo screwed the Wii in Japan? No. That was the conclusion two years ago. One important caveat to Dragona's statement that was clarified last week is that she means compared to what could have been for Wii (e.g. PS2-level dominance in the console space). Nintendo is still in a good position to "turn it around," but they can't get to the point now that they could've gotten to with more effort two years ago.

d+pad

onken said:
Good hardware retention for PS3, how much was due to ToV I wonder. I guess next week will be a better indicator, since there's no big titles out.

Are there *any* biggish releases for the PS3 between now and FF XIII? If not, it'll be interesting to see how long these sales continue (between now and then). I have a feeling HW sales will drop slowly but surely, though we won't see any kind of 'bottoming out' until after the new year.

I'm also curious to see how Wii Fit+ and the Wii HW price drop affect things in the next few weeks. I think there'll definitely be some sort of bump, but how big will it be and how long will it last? I don't think we'll see any major increase until NSMB Wii, though...

Dragona Akehi said:

What's a "similar thing"? The SNES went from second to first at the end of its generation, and unless Nintendo continues to fuck up the Wii from here on out I still find it quite unlikely that PS3 will pull off an equivalent (i.e. position-shifting) feat.

Right now I think the best-case scenario absent further future increases is a shift from irrelevant to relevant, which is basically exactly the same as what the PSP did.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Minsc said:
Yup, a white 250GB slim with pinkish art on it.

d+pad

Dragona Akehi said:

Isn't this a bit premature? I mean, the Slim/price drop have been in affect for, what, three weeks now? I think we should see what happens between now and FF XIII before proclaiming the PS3 has "turned itself around..."

Top Bottom