• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Sep 14 - 20, 2009

expy

Banned
Kaako said:
I kinda interested to see how many PS3s FFXIII moves this holiday in Japan.
If there are any XBOX360-only Japanese gamers, I'm sure they'll all get a FFXIII bundle, but that's not saying much actually. lol

I'm sure it'll move quite a few, maybe not the 250k the slim moved on launch though.

Edit: Talking about the bundle, not Slims as a whole.

onken

expy said:
If there are any XBOX360-only Japanese gamers, I'm sure they'll all get a FFXIII bundle, but that's not saying much actually. lol

I'm sure it'll move quite a few, maybe not the 250k the slim moved on launch though.

Edit: Talking about the bundle, not Slims as a whole.

They always make limited numbers of those bundles anyway. Probably 50k tops.

Loudninja

onken said:
I think they make more than that for this bundle, this Si the biggest PS3 title yet and will most likely be the first to reach a million.

Bebpo

Banned
charlequin said:
Insert "every one of zero" joke here.

400-500k sales between X360/PS3 almost brings the Tales series back to when it was a money maker for Namco. Between that and Team Symphonia's push for visuals, I think it's safe to say the next console TS game will be another HD venture.

Bebpo said:
400-500k sales between X360/PS3 almost brings the Tales series back to when it was a money maker for Namco. Between that and Team Symphonia's push for visuals, I think it's safe to say the next console TS game will be another HD venture.

I don't think that's "safe" to say at all, especially considering that I'm certain a number of these PS3 purchases are double-dipping, much like people double-dipped on the DC of ToDR.

We've established that Namco has no fucking clue what they're doing and at best a questionable skill at determining what will actually make money, but given the dev-cost delta I think any rational publisher would never look back if Graces hits 300k or above. (And if not, I'd still peg the PSP as a better cost:benefit option going forward.)

(Again, I'm not seriously predicting we definitely won't see another HD Tales, I'm mostly just making fun of stupid Scamco.)

d+pad

Speaking of Scamco, where the hell is Taiko Wii 2? I thought for sure they'd try to cash in this holiday season...

shinshero

If Namco was smart. They would've made Vesperia a day and date release for PS3. I'm sure Sony would've let 'em sell LE PS3's if they made it exclusive.

That all would've contributed to a nice little profit for Namco and far more sales for Vesperia.

Linkup

shinshero said:
If Namco was smart. They would've made Vesperia a day and date release for PS3. I'm sure Sony would've let 'em sell LE PS3's if they made it exclusive.

That all would've contributed to a nice little profit for Namco and far more sales for Vesperia.

Didn't MS do exactly that? Which would mean Sony couldn't.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Dragona Akehi said:
DQIX is definitely going to hit four million. Wow. I never thought we'd see the day.

You just needed to believe!

Also I've been meaning to ask, but what is the statuette of?

spwolf

onken said:

when lesser gundam series get +100k bundles, i doubt very much that FFXIII will be 50k... think big, very big.

Paracelsus

charlequin said:
I don't think that's "safe" to say at all, especially considering that I'm certain a number of these PS3 purchases are double-dipping, much like people double-dipped on the DC of ToDR.

We've established that Namco has no fucking clue what they're doing and at best a questionable skill at determining what will actually make money, but given the dev-cost delta I think any rational publisher would never look back if Graces hits 300k or above. (And if not, I'd still peg the PSP as a better cost:benefit option going forward.)

(Again, I'm not seriously predicting we definitely won't see another HD Tales, I'm mostly just making fun of stupid Scamco.)

Huh? Creating an HD engine just for a game sounds like very, very stupid reasoning. tri-Ace with their engine made three games already, one of which is about to see a re-release.

laserbeam

Banned
mujun said:
You don't see the correlation between a price drop, new hardware and a bunch of best/platinum titles making reappearances?

I dont think some people understand the (best) means budget rerelease.

Though if we look at he overall rerelease sales the bump is not really moving alot extra software. MGS4(best) and others that launched with the slim are dead and gone from list and even when they charted was near the bottom.

charlequin said:

Considering Vesperia will sell 300k+ on PS3 alone, I think we will probably see another Tales game on it. Also, do you think we'll see Tales of Graces eventually ported to PSP? I can't help but think it'll eventually happen.

spwolf

laserbeam said:
I dont think some people understand the (best) means budget rerelease.

Though if we look at he overall rerelease sales the bump is not really moving alot extra software. MGS4(best) and others that launched with the slim are dead and gone from list and even when they charted was near the bottom.

dead is such strong word... didnt MGS4 sell/ship 160k in Q1 2009? It is wrong to think that when game does not chart, it does not sell at all... proven many times before, i think even we have even some stats to back it up (percentage of top 50 out of complete software sales?). Of course, this is not just true for PS3 games, but every game in general.

besides, what people were pointing out is resurgence in overall ps3 software sales, which means new owners are picking ps3 (something that was called in doubt before - but i doubt it will anymore due to many other factors).

shinshero said:

Considering there are probably a few double dippers in the PS3 sales group, isn't a staggered launch the best bet to maximize sales given the disparity in userbase? As long as they don't wait until the second group has completely lost interest.

Rpgmonkey

AranhaHunter said:
Also, do you think we'll see Tales of Graces eventually ported to PSP? I can't help but think it'll eventually happen.

Tales of Destiny PS2 is a more likely candidate for a PSP port than Graces probably is.

They seem to have changed their position on the PSP from "that thing they throw ports on" to "that thing they throw spinoffs on" anyway, once the ports started to sell poorly and the spinoffs started to get popular, so I don't think they'll be porting anything else to it.

donny2112

Famitsu data is out! :D

DSL 10000
DSi 71000
PSP 22000
Wii 15000
PS3 55000
PS2 2900
360 4000

I think there was a SaGa2 DSi released this week.

Pokemon 492K / 1901K
PS3 Tales of Vesperia 228K / NEW

Wii Fit was #27 in Famitsu at 5.3K.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Rpgmonkey said:
Tales of Destiny PS2 is a more likely candidate for a PSP port than Graces probably is.

They seem to have changed their position on the PSP from "that thing they throw ports on" to "that thing they throw spinoffs on" anyway, once the ports started to sell poorly and the spinoffs started to get popular, so I don't think they'll be porting anything else to it.
Yeah I think they're done with the Tales of ports for PSP, RM3 is more likely than anything else at this point.

AniHawk

Dragona Akehi said:
It looks like PS3 has really turned itself around. Has there ever been another system (besides PSP, which is still losing technically, but did well for itself) that has done a similar thing?

The DS.

cvxfreak

HK-47 said:
How is the drop for Pokemon comparably?

Pretty damn good. The games will be charting one year from now, so it's a great start, especially since the stock situation is horrendous.

cvxfreak

Nevermind. bttb has a nice chart up. :)

MHP2ndG Best hits a million next week. :D

Monster Hunter 3 is going to break 1 Million.

So what's the record sales for a "value priced edition" anywhere in the world? A million really seems like a lot for me given how front loaded most games are in sales.

cvxfreak

lowlylowlycook said:
So what's the record sales for a "value priced edition" anywhere in the world? A million really seems like a lot for me given how front loaded most games are in sales.

Maybe Super Smash Bros. Melee?

Does Wii Fit Plus count? Because that's definitely value priced.

Based on the latest Famitsu hardware numbers...
PSP comparisons: After 249 weeks, PSP is where PS2 was at 196.7 weeks (December 5, 2003), where DS was at 104.5 weeks (November 30, 2006), and where GBA was at 168.7 weeks (June 11, 2004).

X360 comparisons: After 197 weeks, X360 is where GCN was at 19.4 weeks (January 23, 2002), where PS3 was at 41.1 weeks (August 20, 2007), and where Wii was at 6.0 weeks (January 6, 2007).

PS3 comparisons: After 149 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 52.8 weeks (March 3, 2001), where PSP was at 77.9 weeks (June 4, 2006), where GCN was at 168.9 weeks (December 5, 2004), and where Wii was at 40.8 weeks (September 8, 2007).

So PS3 has reached where PS2 was after one year on the market.
PS3+in+terms+of+PS2

Wii comparisons: After 146 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 102.7 weeks (March 7, 2003), where DS was at 78.9 weeks (June 3, 2006), where PS2 was at 123.7 weeks (July 12, 2002), and where PSP was at 172.6 weeks (March 27, 2008).

DSi comparisons: After 46 weeks, DSi is where GBASP was at 63.6 weeks (April 29, 2004) and where DSL was at 22.3 weeks (August 1, 2006).

Based on last week's Media Create hardware numbers...
DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 79.1 / 20.9 bring total shares to 68.5 / 31.5. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 711.1 weeks (May 8, 2023).

X360 vs PS3: Weekly shares of 8.9 / 91.1 bring total shares to 24.2 / 75.8. If PS3 stopped selling and X360 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 484.4 weeks (January 2, 2019).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 75.4 / 24.6 bring total shares to 29.4 / 70.6. At this week's rates, PS3 would catch up to Wii in 144.3 weeks (June 27, 2012). If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 97.1 weeks (August 1, 2011).

Week over week, portables are a little up and consoles are a little down...but nothing has changed drastically.
X360

Through the first thirty-eight weeks of the year, overall sales are down. However, the systems can be split into camps of 3 up and 3 down. Here's how the year-to-date year-over-year percents stand as of now.

Wii: -53.2%
DSL+DSi: +15.2%
PS2: -53.2%
PS3: +35.1%
PSP: -45.7%
X360: +68.2%

Home hardware: -29.3%
Portable hardware: -18.0%
Sum of all hardware: -22.5%

Last year:

This year:

Famitsu Software Stuff

Pokémon Heart Gold and Soul Silver (3698) start off very strong. They don't only outsell what FireRed and LeafGreen (1558) did their first week, but additionally what they sold in their second and third weeks.

Sloane and MacHale's Mysterious Story 2 is certainly starting off much worse than the first.

Looking at what's become one of everyone's favorite comparisons, in its seventh week Monster Hunter 3 sells slightly less than Dynasty Warriors 5 did (10.1K to 11.6K), but is still fairly ahead overall (891K to 859K).
MH3

Professor Layton and the Last Time Travel (3293) pops back in. It's continued on pretty steadily other than the slight bump that brought it into the Top 30 this week, so there's no real change on how it compares to the first (271) or second (2673) Layton games.

Famitsu Software Pie note: Thanks to the Pokémon remakes, DS had 84.5% of software sales this week. This makes it the second highest percentage DS has ever had, slightly behind the 88.8% it had with Dragon Quest IX a couple months ago.

swerve

Wii Sales for this week are going to be close to zero if my town is anything to go by. Stores are simply not selling them, they just have a sign saying 'price drop from oct 1st' instead.

cvxfreak said:
Does Wii Fit Plus count? Because that's definitely value priced.

i think we couldn't count... wii fit plus is a different game from its predecessor

oh i noticed Enterbrain tracked the new Korg "game" for DS, iirc the first one was not tracked

ksamedi

swerve said:
Wii Sales for this week are going to be close to zero if my town is anything to go by. Stores are simply not selling them, they just have a sign saying 'price drop from oct 1st' instead.

Yeah same thing happened to the PS3. I think we might see a huge bump but probably not as big as the PS3's.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
dfyb said:
i think the fascination with the numbers have more to do with the game being a late port of a 360 exclusive... and still whooping the 360 version. common opinion was that the late port wouldn't sell much because nobody wanted to wait a year to play a game. obviously plenty of people were willing to wait, and it's likely that namco would have seen better sales if it had been multiplatform/ps3 exclusive from the start.
common opinion with who? Butthurt Sony fans? I think most rational people expected Vesperia PS3 to outsell Vesperia 360, even with the year delay. You know, just like Symphonia PS2 outsold Symphonia Gamecube by a large margin.

mujun

grandjedi6 said:
common opinion with who? Butthurt Sony fans? I think most rational people expected Vesperia PS3 to outsell Vesperia 360, even with the year delay. You know, just like Symphonia PS2 outsold Symphonia Gamecube by a large margin.

You aren't suggesting that they played martyr when it only came out on 360 then shouted sales from the hilltops when the PS3 version came out like it was a miracle?!?

It doesn't seem Silver Week helped software on the weekend. Comparing famitsu first day to first week gives nearly all titles a 150% figure, which is average sure, but nothing did stand out with a 200% or so weekend growth. Only Ys has a slightly better figure, and the other trackers don't even agree with Famitsu :/

Bullet comments to follow my first day notes:
· TOV PS3 keeps above all post-ps2 tales, and just like first day you have to go back to November 2006 to find a better first week in Tales of Destiny on PS2 (256k).
I think it'd be interesting to note that the last brand new Tales on PS2, Abyss, did 368k first week in the middle of December back in 2005.
· Pawapuro Portable 4 was above 3 in the first day, but it falls behind in the first week, by 1k that is. 109k vs 108k.
· Yugioh 4 debuts lower than 3, 64k vs 52k, although still way higher than the first two.
· Ys 7 does 43k, which despite doing the best first day for a Falcom PSP title, its not the best first week. Legend of Heroes the 3rd did 49k.
· Idolmaster DS is right between the 1st and 2nd 360 games, 25k vs 33k vs 48k.
· Forever Blue 2 seems to have done just like the first, 18k.
· Tears to Tiara Gaiden does way below the first, 34k vs 16k. Bit strange case, its a gaiden but the original was a pc port, this isn't, I think.
· Hitman 2 PSP does below 1, 24k vs 16k. There's a gazillion Hitman games but it doesn't seem to hit much higher than this.
· 428 PSP 16k is just a hair below the PS3 one, which did 17k. Funnily enough, combined its right around the Wii original.
· House of the Dead Overkill does less than 2&3 on Wii (14k) and 3 on Xbox (7k)
· Nothing else seem note-worthy...

Next weeks releases

09/28 - 10/04/2009

PSP:
10/01 Gran Turismo
10/01 Gran Turismo (Racing Pack)
10/01 Like Life Every Hour
10/01 Like Life Every Hour (Limited Edition)
10/01 Macross Ultimate Frontier
10/01 Macross Ultimate Frontier (Limited Edition Pack)
10/01 Mana Khemia 2: Ochita Gakuen to Renkinjutsushi Tachi Portable+
10/01 Mana Khemia 2: Ochita Gakuen to Renkinjutsushi Tachi Portable+ (Premium Box)
10/01 Minna no Sukkiri
10/01 Shadow of Memories
10/01 Winning Post 7 2009

PS2:
10/01 Hiiro no Kakera (Aizouban)
10/01 Hiiro no Kakera Twin Pack
10/01 Hiiro no Kakera: Shin Tamayori Hime Denshou
10/01 Hiiro no Kakera: Shin Tamayori Hime Denshou (Limited Edition)
10/01 Momotsuki: Koufuu no Misasagi-Ou
10/01 Momotsuki: Koufuu no Misasagi-Ou (DX Pack)
10/01 Osouji Sentai Clean Keeper H
10/01 Osouji Sentai Clean Keeper H (Limited Edition)
10/01 Shin Hisui no Shizuku: Hiiro no Kakera 2

PS3:
10/01 Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
10/01 Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (Premium Box)
10/01 Shin Sangoku Musou MultiRaid Special
10/01 Trinity Universe
10/01 Trinity Universe (Limited Edition)

Wii:
10/01 Boku to Sim no Machi Agents
10/01 Dead Space Extraction
10/01 Hula Wii: Motto Jouzu no Fura o Odorou!!
10/01 Wii Fit Plus
10/01 Wii Fit Plus (w/Balance Board)

NDS:
10/01 Boku to Sim no Machi Agents
10/01 Chara-Chinko
10/01 Inazuma Eleven 2: Kyoui no Shinryokusha - Blizzard
10/01 Inazuma Eleven 2: Kyoui no Shinryokusha - Fire

360:
10/01 Cross Edge Dash
10/01 Shin Sangoku Musou MultiRaid Special

Dragona Akehi said:
It looks like PS3 has really turned itself around. Has there ever been another system (besides PSP, which is still losing technically, but did well for itself) that has done a similar thing?
Well, GameCube had that rockin' August 2003 with the ~200K opening weeks for Tales and FFCC.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Yeah next week seems like a lock for lowest Wii sales ever.

donny2112

schuelma said:
Yeah next week seems like a lock for lowest Wii sales ever.

Announcement on the 24th, so it'll have 3-4 days of non-weekend sales. The following week, it'll have four days of sales with price drop, weekend, and Wii Fit+ releasing (could that be why Wii Fit is precipitously dropping lately?). %-wise, PS3 will probably still beat it, if not in absolute units, too.

gkryhewy

It will be very interesting to see where PS3 and Wii settle out on a weekly basis following the Wii price drop. Looks like they might fall into a competitive sales pattern at about 25k weekly sales.

gkrykewy said:
It will be very interesting to see where PS3 and Wii settle out on a weekly basis following the Wii price drop. Looks like they might fall into a competitive sales pattern at about 25k weekly sales.

Outside of a completely random guess how could anything lead you to think this? The wii price drop still hasn't even happened and the PS3 is still riding it's price drop hike.

Jostifer

Next week will be very interesting. There's quite a bunch of noteworthy games releasing and spread across many platforms.

Mithos

Gold Member
cvxfreak said:
Monster Hunter 3 is going to break 1 Million.

I've always wondered, how do you rate the success or failure on a game like this?

I mean, lets say the sales drop DEAD at 1 million sold, and noone buys another copy, Capcom will still make crap loads of money on the monthly fees.

Brofist

Mithos said:
I've always wondered, how do you rate the success or failure on a game like this?

I mean, lets say the sales drop DEAD at 1 million sold, and noone buys another copy, Capcom will still make crap loads of money on the monthly fees.

I think at the end of the day MH3 will be seen as a success. It outperformed previous console versions, and when you factor in future ports/versions, they're set to be raking it in for a while.

Top Bottom