• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Sep 14 - 20, 2009

jman2050

ethelred said:
That is quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read in these threads. Congratulations for not only beating out reigning champions like Spwolf but also valiant newcomers like Tmac -- you are truly the King of the Fucking Stupid Media Create Commentary.

I hope you mean active champions, because I can't think of anyone beating LanceStern overall.

kpop100 said:
Silly jokes aside could anyone claim even handhelds included that SE has had the same quality of titles this gen as in the past 2 generations?
Absolutely. I think TWEWY is Square's best game since Chrono Trigger, for starters.

donny2112 said:
So you think that if they have to put it on a home console that they should break with tradition from the last 8 DQ games and put it on two systems at once and the portable system not be the DS?

SE has already broken all kinds of tradition this generation, FF releasing on multiple platforms, SO releasing on multiple platforms. I don't think it's as far fetched as you think and they have shown that they have no problem breaking tradition if it'll help their bottom line. Also it's my understand that ports between PSP/PS2/Wii is relatively cheap and easy, hence why IMO I said if they keep to schedule and release it on Wii, it should go to PSP also and not the DS.

Uh, no. If they move it, it'll only be to the DS/DSi. :p

Would be the smartest move IMO, second smartest is MP release but it'll probably just stay Wii exclusive and not get even close to DQIX success.

That's basically what they always launch at.

Who thinks DS can get to 30 million this year? It's 2.22m away, and from this point to the end of the year last year, it sold ~1.6m. No DSi launch this year, but it's selling better coming into this period.

$100 bucks is insane, I thought they launched at $80 on the PS2 days? Maybe I'm just wrong. I don't think the DS will hit 30 million this year, definitely next year though. That's kinda insane when you think about it actually. The PSP will probably sell > 15 million LTD in Japan and will still be outsold by more than a 2:1 ratio by the DS.

cvxfreak

Square Enix is throwing away a lot of money by not putting Birth by Sleep on the Wii. That game would be extremely successful on the Wii in the U.S. The game will be huge in Japan, perhaps even bigger than 328/2 Days, but I think being on the PSP will kill a lot of its sales potential in the West.

Tideas

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Square Enix is throwing away a lot of money by not putting Birth by Sleep on the Wii. That game would be extremely successful on the Wii in the U.S. The game will be huge in Japan, perhaps even bigger than 328/2 Days, but I think being on the PSP will kill a lot of its sales potential in the West.

what?

donny2112

cvxfreak said:

Maybe Square wants to avoid multi-platform releases when possible, and FFXIII just wasn't possible with Microsoft's assumed "convincing" combined with PS3 worldwide sales?

Brofist

Segata Sanshiro said:
Absolutely. I think TWEWY is Square's best game since Chrono Trigger, for starters.
I'll have to give that one a second try I guess. For some reason it didn't click with me when I played it.

Grimmy

Banned
cvxfreak said:

Has an SE game on the Wii sold as much as Crisis Core or Dissidia yet - either in Japan or Worldwide? I don't think so...

cvxfreak

Grimmy said:
Has an SE game on the Wii sold as much as Crisis Core or Dissidia yet - either in Japan or Worldwide? I don't think so...

No, but what SE game on the Wii is anywhere near as high profile as those two?

Unless KH3 comes to the Wii, then I expect only DQX to top those games, but not FFXIII worldwide.

jeremy1456

ethelred said:
That is quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read in these threads. Congratulations for not only beating out reigning champions like Spwolf but also valiant newcomers like Tmac -- you are truly the King of the Fucking Stupid Media Create Commentary.

I do aim to please! :lol

inner-G

Banned
hirokazu said:
What's the next (major) PS3 release this year? Seems like it's in a good position to beat Wii hardware sales this year with FFXIII coming.
3D dot game heroes

I know it's not probably going to be that big :/

There's a bunch of games coming out, FIFA, Tekken 6, Way of the Samurai 3, Musou Multi-Raid, Dragonball Z, (Is Bayonetta still 2009?) but nothing on a FF-level of sales probably.

Jonnyram

kpop100 said:
I'll have to give that one a second try I guess. For some reason it didn't click with me when I played it.
It didn't click with me the first OR the second try. The third time was the charm and I got hooked big time. It's so awesome when you get into it.

donny2112

cvxfreak said:
Same reason Vesperia wasn't re-released for 360, I imagine.

I chalked Vesperia's additions up to Sony's insistence that multi-platform titles have something "extra" on their system. An International version is pretty standard fare, though, so I'm just wondering why it's not coming out on the system with the base version.

donny2112 said:
Who thinks DS can get to 30 million this year? It's 2.22m away, and from this point to the end of the year last year, it sold ~1.6m. No DSi launch this year, but it's selling better coming into this period.

I think it will just miss out. That is pretty amazing really. It really isn't looking like its slowing down that much either.

I wonder where it will end up. It could easily end up selling 35+ million. Who knows maybe if nintendo stretch out this gen it will hit 40 million:lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Pureauthor said:
I think you can dig up some of his stuff from the early end of the Sales Archive.

Or dont, cause reading it will seriously damage your ability to think coherently.

cvxfreak said:
Nevah lies, mang.

Also, does anyone think it's entirely possible that Square/Yuji Horii might push DQX on the Wii back as DQXI and make a DS DQX? I mean, 4 million sales and climbing. Maybe 5 million if it holds up in the top 30 over December. I don't think DQX on the Wii will reach that at this present time frame, though whatever it may top out at would easily be double whatever FFXIII is going to do.

AFreak said:
I may be wrong, but I don't think any FF has had that high of a price before.
Looks like the highest two are X and XII at what would now be 8990.

SPECIFIC NOTE FEW WILL CARE ABOUT: X predates everyone building the tax or whatever right into the price, so it was listed as 8800.
Tmac said:
If we were speculating about an upcomming PS3/X360 game from square enix (in this case FF) and we looked at their past to predict how that specific game could perform in the future, of course its implicit you whould take into account only what SE did so far on the mentioned consoles.

All i said was, considering what SE did so far (on 360/ps3) it whouldn't be a surprise if FF turns out to be a giant bomb.
Well shit, based on Square Enix's PS3 history I guess FF XIII will have a 16K first week.

donny2112 said:
What a champ.
Monorojo said:
What is up with these 4 year generations MS is trying to push onto us?
Lets not forget about precious Nintendo, who pretty much gave up on Gamecube sometime in 2004.
Sony on the other hand was still strongly supporting the PS2 and so were all the other third parties.

Thats why everyone should be thankful Sony is the home console market leader and no one else. Let's pray that NEVER changes, or it may just be the end of gaming as we know it.

Datschge

Rpgmonkey said:
If "Team Hearts" still exists and they use the same amount of time they had with Hearts, wouldn't their next game be scheduled for December 2010 as well?
True. Their gamble will be if it worth to continue developing for DS, upgrade to DSi or skip over to PSP.

Rpgmonkey said:
If "Team Symphonia" really will go for multiplatform development (and assuming that adds a bit of time to their usual development cycle), I could see another game by "Team Hearts" in December 2010, and a new game by "Team Symphonia" in Summer 2011.
"Team Symphonia" with its R&D staff now has an engine running for both XB360 and PS3, one would think they don't need the additional development time anymore (before every new game was on a new platform). I'd expect them to release HD games on PS3/XB360 regularly like "Team Destiny" did on PS2.

Rpgmonkey said:
But if "Team Destiny" keeps to their November/December release every two years, they'd release on the same year as Team Symphonia's new game. No idea if that's actually an issue to them or if they avoided releasing a new game in the same year just because of different development cycles, so maybe that totally screws up my assumptions. :/
With ToV and ToH we already had such a case last year. ToH' sales seemed to have suffered through this (among the other issues) indeed.

charlequin said:
In terms of the most conservative standard (games made by the main body of Team Destiny or Team Symphonia), you're looking at a main series that goes Phantasia - Destiny - Phantasia Remake (TD) - Eternia (TS) - Destiny 2 (TD) - Symphonia (TS) - Rebirth (TD) - Abyss (TS) - Destiny Remake (TD) - Vesperia (TS) - Graces (TD).
Eternia is in no way a TS game (except that for the later TS leads it was a first introduction to Tales causing them to still use the same faces skit system 'till now). And Hearts deserves an inclusion even by conservative standards.

ethelred said:
(snip) but is it that much more profitable than 300k in sales on the PSP by an outsourced developer? Or that much more profitable than 260k in sales on the DS by a smaller internal team (or, for that matter, 200-240k in sales on the DS by outsourced developers)? Or that much more profitable than 200k in sales on the Wii (or maybe 400k? given that I think we would all expect Graces to outperform Ratatosk somewhat)? I don't know. I don't think Namco really has a coherent clue as to what to do with this franchise.
While Namco doesn't Tales Studio seems to do. Tales Studio has a pretty stable workforce and manages to increase their output without any real staff expansion. Many of the outsourced works also go through long term business connections where an outside company contributes a little to a main game and ports a game as result. As I wrote before I'm sure that Tales Studio is profitable by producing more and better results at an assumed stable fixed cost which is there in any case. The amount of Namco producers related to Tales Studio games rising the career ladders seems to indicate that (financial) success is higher and more predictable than with Namco's internal games.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
HK-47 said:
Well we all know that. If SE was smart with their franchises we'd have a Live a Live sequel by now.

Do you know how the original Live A Live sold?

I'd kill for a sequel of that one...

kpop100 said:
Silly jokes aside could anyone claim even handhelds included that SE has had the same quality of titles this gen as in the past 2 generations?

Since I don't care for Kingdom Hearts or Star Ocean, the PS2 games I'm willing to give SE credit for (i.e. that I have bothered owning) are FFX, FFX-2, FFXII, DQ8, and VP2. I think SE has produced a lineup that competes admirably with that this generation on just the DS, not even getting into their good titles on other systems.

Seda said:
TBQH, The Last Remnant has been my favorite RPG style game this gen so far.

That's because The Last Remnant is awesome! I'm sad they didn't actually put out the PS3 version, maybe it could have pulled a Vesperia and made the game a success. :lol

AranhaHunter said:
Also it's my understand that ports between PSP/PS2/Wii is relatively cheap and easy, hence why IMO I said if they keep to schedule and release it on Wii, it should go to PSP also and not the DS.

I don't think you really understand the deal with Dragon Quest.

Will DQX fail to perform above and beyond even that series' lofty standards the way DQIX did by virtue of not being on the unprecedentedly successful Nintendo DS? Sure, probably, but I don't think SE is gonna be crying in their soup over the 3+ million they will still sell.

cvxfreak said:

I agree, actually. Kingdom Hearts would blow up like Al Pacino on the Wii in the US.

Monorojo said:
Thats why everyone should be thankful Sony is the home console market leader and no one else. Let's pray that NEVER changes, or it may just be the end of gaming as we know it.

Cats and dogs living together, MASS HYSTERIA

Datschge said:
Eternia is in no way a TS game (except that for the later TS leads it was a first introduction to Tales causing them to still use the same faces skit system 'till now).

I was under the impression that the body of people who worked on Eternia went on to form the core of Team Symphonia rather than continue on with Team Destiny. My mistake.

And Hearts deserves an inclusion even by conservative standards.

Well, what was the final conclusion on this game's team's relation to Team Destiny? I did say that my standard was "games developed by TD or TS"!

Datschge

Mr. Pointy said:
Is Team Hearts a permanent team now? I thought they were another Team Ratatosk/Melfes.
No, the leads from ToH were veterans which previously worked under the "Team Destiny" leads, with some from the "Team Symphonia" side. Melfes has nothing to do with Tales Studio at all staff wise, and Ratatosk had new leads from outside which didn't work on any Tales game before. Whether they are a permanent "team" now remains to be seen, but I'd call that likely since otherwise there won't be any staff dedicated to 2D Tales games anymore.

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
In MC, it's 13,221 from Apr 13-19, 2009.
Ok, thanks for the info! :) I wonder the Silver Week vacation can result in a higher Wii result than 13,221 for the next week, eventhough that the Wii pricedrop was announced on this weeks' Thrusday. But we will see what happends :)

Grampasso

donny2112 said:
Being released just before New Year's has a tendency to shorten legs, not lengthen them.
Oh, didn't check any data so I didn't notice about that. So in the end I guess launching in december could hurt sales instead of helping them :|

test_account

XP-39C²
LiquidMetal14 said:
Not going back on my prediction.....

1st day - 430k

1st week - 840k

LTD - 1.4M
If this 1st week prediction will happend, then this will be several of hundres of thousands lower than what Final Fantasy X, FF X-2 and FFXII did in their first week. Doesnt this sound like a pretty big drop in the Final Fantasy interest in Japan? I see that you have written in post 254 in this thread that you are low balling with these Final Fantasy 13 predictions though, but i just wanted to mention this anyway :)

Has a price been set for FFXIII by the way? If yes, how does this price compare to FFX, FF X-2 and FFXII?

test_account said:
Has a price been set for FFXIII by the way? If yes, how does this price compare to FFX, FF X-2 and FFXII?
33xa5tw.jpg

Final Fantasy X: ¥8,800
Final Fantasy X-2: ¥7,800
Final Fantasy XII: ¥8,990
(from garaph.info)

onken

donny2112 said:
I chalked Vesperia's additions up to Sony's insistence that multi-platform titles have something "extra" on their system. An International version is pretty standard fare, though, so I'm just wondering why it's not coming out on the system with the base version.

Why would they bother? Most people planning on double dipping have probably caved for a PS3 with FF13 being exclusive. And christ, it was 4 discs WITHOUT dual soundtracks, 6disk swapping sounds like a real hoot.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
donny2112 said:
I don't think it will make it but it will be very close (<500K short). On the other hand with DS no one can be sure.

I used to make fun of the famitsu estimates (because of some ridiculous predictions they had back in 2007) but I see their success record has been improved a lot from then. These are the comparisons between famitsu estimates and famitsu tracked sales:

title / first shipment estimate / first week sales / final shipment estimate / last known LTD sales

June
[NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky (Square Enix) * 2,3M-2,8M / 2.343.440 / 4,0M-5,0M / 3.892.000
[WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) * 500K / 353.827 / 2,5M-3,0M / 1.160.000
[WII] Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom) * 500K-700K / 600k-800k (revised in July)
[PS3] Pro Baseball Spirits 6 (Konami) * 80K-100K / 73.038 / 120K-180K / 116.084

July
[NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.) * 1,59M-2,21M / 3,40M-4,80M (revised in August)
[WII] Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom) * 800K-1,00M / 582.548 / 800K-1,20M / 900.000
[PSP] Tales of Vs. (Namco Bandai) * 180K-220K / 153.366 / 180K-260K / 216.178
[NDS] SaGa 2: Hihou Densetsu - Goddess of Destiny (Square Enix) * 170K-250K / 260K-360K (revised in August)
[PS3] Tales of Vesperia (Namco Bandai) * 130K-190K / 230K-330K (revised in August)
[PS2] SD Gundam G Generation: Wars (Namco Bandai) * 130K-180K / 196.440 / 130K-180K / 298.858
[NDS] Blood of Bahamut (Square Enix) * 110K-160K / 31.506 / 130K-180K / 66.303
[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam: Battlefield Record U.C. 0081 (Namco Bandai) * 90K-120K / 120K-180K (revised in August)
[NDS] Freshly Picked Tingle’s Balloon Trip of Love (Nintendo) * 80K-120K / 33.425 / 140K-180K / 77.775
[NDS] Super Robot Wars: Academy (Namco Bandai) * 80K-110K / 80K-110K (revised in August)

August
[NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.) * 1,35M-1,90M / 1.408.980 / 3,60M-4,40M / 1.901.000
[WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) * 310K-440K / 1,80M+ (revised in September)
[NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Fire / Blizzard (Level 5) * 230K-320K / 260K-360K (revised in September)
[PS3] Tales of Vesperia (Namco Bandai) * 160K-230K / 228.000 / 230K-330K / 228.000
[PSP] Gran Turismo: The Real Driving Simulation (SCE) * 150K-210K / 210K-300K (revised in September)
[NDS] 4 Warriors of Light: Final Fantasy Gaiden (Square Enix) * 150K-210K / 150K-210K (revised in September)
[NDS] SaGa 2: Hihou Densetsu - Goddess of Destiny (Square Enix) * 140K-200K / 101.000 / 210K-300K / 101.000
[PS3] Tekken 6 (Namco Bandai) * 120K-170K / 170K-200K (revised in September)
[PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball Portable 4 (Konami) * 130K-180K / 108.000 / 190K-260K / 108.000
[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam: Battlefield Record U.C. 0081 (Namco Bandai) * 110K-160K / 159.408 / 160K-220K / 203.000
[NDS] Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (Atlus) * 90K-120K / 90K-120K (revised in September)
[NDS] Super Robot Wars: Academy (Namco Bandai) * 80K-110K / 25.680 / 80K-110K / 30.966
[PS3] Bayonetta (Sega) * 80K-110K / 100K-140K (revised in September)

September
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) * 800K-960K / 1,00M-1,50M
[WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) * 310K-440K / 1,80M+
[NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Fire / Blizzard (Level 5) * 170K-240K / 220K-310K
[PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Sega) * 190K-240K / 210K-400K
[NDS] Professor Layton and the Flute of Malevolent Destiny (Level 5) * 180K-250K / 510K-660K
[PSP] Gran Turismo: The Real Driving Simulation (SCE) * 160K-220K / 250K-320K
[NDS] 4 Warriors of Light: Final Fantasy Gaiden (Square Enix) * 150K-210K / 150K-210K
[PS3] Tekken 6 (Namco Bandai) * 120K-170K / 150K-180K
[NDS] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo) * 110K-130K / 150K-260K
[PS3] Bayonetta (Sega) * 110K-130K / 120K-160K
[PSP] Persona 3 Portable (Atlus) * 90K-120K / 110K-160K
[WII] Samurai Warriors 3 (Koei) * 80K-120K / 120K-170K
[PSP] J-League Pro Soccer Club! 6: Pride of J (Sega) * 80K-110K / 140K-190K
[NDS] Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (Atlus) * 80K-110K / 90K-120K
[PSP] Dissidia: Final Fantasy - Universal Tuning (Square Enix) * 70K-100K / 110K-150K

Of course first week sales don't equal to first shipment (Monster Hunter 3 first shipment was ~1M, number they also had) and some games will keep selling for many more months (like Wii Sports Resort)
Also when they revise their estimates the numbers they give are closer to the reality (raised MH3 first shipment, lowered HG/SS first shipment)
What I understand is that while maybe they are wrong with their LTD estimates some times, they are almost always correct with their predictions about the first shipment, since they obviously come to these numbers from the retailers preorders they have.
So if they say that FF XIII first shipment will be 800k-960k and it isn't revised don't expect that number to differ from reality.

test_account

XP-39C²
Chris1964 said:
October 1
Ok, thanks :) I thought i had heard October 1st, but then i saw that the pricedrop started in the US today, so i wondered if the pricedrop happend worldwide today. Is there any reason why they are waiting until the 1st of October in Japan before they drop the price on the Wii?

onken

test_account said:
Ah ok, do people have to pay 8,800 yen or 9,240 yen when they buy FFXIII?

Well one includes tax and other doesn't, which do you think people have to pay?

gerg

test_account said:
Ok, thanks :) I thought i had heard October 1st, but then i saw that the pricedrop started in the US today, so i wondered if the pricedrop happend worldwide today. Is there any reason why they are waiting until the 1st of October in Japan before they drop the price on the Wii?

To coincide with the launch of Wii Fit Plus, iirc.

Top Bottom