• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 13, 2013 (Mar 25 - Mar 31)

Frodo

It's just nice to see a change for once, you know

It's still far from being safe and the next weeks the drops will continue, but man: we were at below 10k and almost below 5k at one point, it's great to see a system selling for once

A success of a dedicated gaming handheld system is a success for all of us, even if it's a small one

I know, god forbids Nintendo being alone on the handheld market. Without competition I strongly doubt we would have had the outcome wee now see on the 3DS.

But what I meant with that question is: Even with two launches the numbers still went down. I know, not that significant and port and whatever, but isn't it worrying that it is going down when there are games being launched for it?

I know, god forbids Nintendo being alone on the handheld market. Without competition I strongly doubt we would have had the outcome wee now see on the 3DS.

But what I meant with that question is: Even with two launches the numbers still went down. I know, not that significant and port and whatever, but isn't it worrying that it is going down when there are games being launched for it?

Honest question - have you even looked at sales curve after price drop ?

3DS went from over 200k on the week of drop to stabilise at new baseline of around 70k

crinale

Please, shipments are not an indication of expectations, especially in Japan. Stop saying that. In Japan it is very hard to significantly overship something. Retailer demand controls what ships because games cannot be returned. Low shipment usually means either difficulty in producing enough stock, or lack of interest from retailers. It does not represent what the company expects to sell.

It is indeed a fact for most cases in Japanese gaming industry. However I'm guessing not too many people outside of Japan actually aware of this (I understand it may seem odd from outside of Japan...)

Opinions are fine, but conclusions drawn from incorrect facts can confuse other people who might think it is accurate. Shipments are in no way a representation of what a publisher wants and expects a product to sell. If they were, then every game in Japan would be a success, since retailers cannot return unsold stock.

Bit OT here, but what's the reasoning for the inability to return stock? It's rather odd that they'd do full reprints rather than slice prices like America. Much better in the long run I'm betting though!

On topic, Luigi got legs! Animal Crossing got stilts! Game and Wario got bisected! :-(

Besides all the obvious wii u and dqx stuff already said. My only thought is that I hope Marvelous continues to support the vita. I mean they are probably happy with it so far, it seems like a system built for niche titles. I'm interested to see if they decide anything else for it in the near future.

big youth

that's 2 days of sales.

yes, and I suppose that helps, but the sales are still abysmal.

Vita is doing better in Japan than most of us predicted, but I still think it's fate was probably decided many months ago. is Final Fantasy X HD the biggest system seller we know of?

BriBri

Back from the doctors:) full health check went more Luigi than Wario!

Probably the worst Wii U numbers yet contextually speaking.

Really pleased for the Vita since I hope to finally order one in a fortnight and it don't look like its gonna die on me. This year at least!

duckroll

Bit OT here, but what's the reasoning for the inability to return stock? It's rather odd that they'd do full reprints rather than slice prices like America. Much better in the long run I'm betting though!

On topic, Luigi got legs! Animal Crossing got stilts! Game and Wario got bisected! :-(

There's no "reasoning". Retailers are just given no legal protection of any sort for unsold stock. If you order it from the distributor, you pay for it and you own that stock. It's your problem. If you can't sell it, you slash prices on your own and you might have to eat the loss.

serplux

Besides all the obvious wii u and dqx stuff already said. My only thought is that I hope Marvelous continues to support the vita. I mean they are probably happy with it so far, it seems like a system built for niche titles. I'm interested to see if they decide anything else for it in the near future.

They surely are going to put a few more titles on it considering that those titles have done fairly well, but they'll also be on the 3DS for a good mix.

Celine

The impression things like Iwata Asks and other interviews give is that Miyamoto already has a large impact on the direction of Nintendo.
It's not a matter of Iwata Asks but Board of Directors:
GdlNDP1.jpg

They surely are going a few more titles on it considering that those titles have done fairly well, but they'll also be on the 3DS for a good mix.
I wonder if there is a benefit to making a 3DS/Vita title for them rather than just a 3DS one or just a Vita one.

Takao

Banned
They surely are going to put a few more titles on it considering that those titles have done fairly well, but they'll also be on the 3DS for a good mix.

MarvelousAQL has a few other franchises. I can see them porting No More Heroes to Vita, or something. Harvest Moon/Rune Factory will definitely stay on 3DS as they wouldn't sell nearly as well on Vita.

Blast from the past ;)

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=498093

I think mainline Final Fantasy is the one title that is really holding them back from true dominance. Mainline Resident Evil and Metal Gear would help too, but they aren't at that top level.

New Super Mario Bros
Mario Kart
Monster Hunter
Dragon Quest

is pretty godlike, regardless. I imagine something like One Piece Musou 2 would be primarily made for Wii U, given Nintendo and Namco Bandai's new relationship.

Enter Wii U. Here's another 5 or 6 years to play around with "current gen" hardware. Get more experience, and maybe something good will come out of it, like towns! Not to mention the thing is going to sell like crazy in Japan, at least off the bat, thanks to NSMB, MH and DQ. Did I mention the ridiculously expensive development costs that will come with next gen hardware?

Mario CHECK
Monster Hunter CHECK
Dragon Quest CHECK

and MATE

Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest pretty much confirm it.

It would be very, very, very hard for Nintendo to not dominate the console market in Japan this upcoming generation. Right now they are holding all the cards there.

Launching at least a year earlier.

Launching with a NSMB game.

Launching with a MH game. People in this thread seem to dismiss this, but it should easily reach half a million LTD number and pretty much guarantees the next MH console game will be on the system.

Launching with DQX HD. Much like MH, a port but what is important here is the message "Buy a Wii U if you want to play DQ games."

PS3/3DS won't have NSMBU, Wii Fit U, DQX, Nintendo Land, etc. The majority of 3rd party games going multi only hurts PlayStation in a direct match up, which is why Iwata's pushing for that.

It is going to look much like 3DS/PSP, with multiplatform games doing better on the entrenched PS3 initially, but over time you'll see that shift as Wii U gains momemtum and PS4 likely stumbles out the gates. This is so obviously Iwata's playbook, let's see if he pulls it off

It has Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest (albeit ports, but we know those sell), right? Japan cares less about graphics, right? And it's not Xbox brand, right?

No, there is no reason Wii U won't dominate next gen.

I don't blame them though. If someone told me that a psv port of Muramasa would outsell DQX on the WiiU I would laugh.

The thing I found most surprising though was Game and Wario. I heard it had mediocre reviews too. Nintendo should just stop with the minigames.

I see WiiU Fit not doing as well either. Sub 50k opening I think.

serplux

MarvelousAQL has a few other franchises. I can see them porting No More Heroes to Vita, or something. Harvest Moon/Rune Factory will definitely stay on 3DS as they wouldn't sell nearly as well on Vita.

They got that King of Pirates Inafune game for the 3DS as well I believe, and they announced that they were working on Dragon Marked for Death (possible vaporware? Although it was only announced a year and a half ago) for the 3DS as well.

I believe Harvest Moon:LoO/Rune Factory 4 are the best selling titles in their series since the N64 era.

Haha, I love the damage control on the DQ numbers.

Newsflash people: This is very, very close to a franchise low. And I'm not talking about a franchise low for mainline DQ, I'm talking any sort of release that uses the DQ branding in some form. At retail, only a small handful have ever done worse. Off the top of my head, the only one I know for was Fortune Street Wii and maybe the first Rocket Slime for DS. Shit, even that might've done better.

duckroll

They got that King of Pirates Inafune game for the 3DS as well I believe, and they announced that they were working on Dragon Marked for Death (possible vaporware? Although it was only announced a year and a half ago) for the 3DS as well.

They should drop "Dragon" from the title and just move it to the WiiU. Would be a perfect fit!

There's no "reasoning". Retailers are just given no legal protection of any sort for unsold stock. If you order it from the distributor, you pay for it and you own that stock. It's your problem. If you can't sell it, you slash prices on your own and you might have to eat the loss.

Ahhhhhh, gotcha. Definitely different from what I thought. Thanks for explaining. Really surprised there's no protection there.

Back on track, I wonder how Vita will do considering the lack of software soon.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
There are plenty in that thread trying to reason with the people expecting major performance out of DQ and MonHun. DQ was stretching it already but to expect dominance out of a home console version of Monster Hunter? Funny thread indeed. Of course it wasn't anything like a concensus, just some people even more ignorant about sales age than myself making assumptions based on something they've heard (MonHun sells a lot in Japan!).

As for the game I think SE should be giving it out for free with like a week's trial time and then simply ask for their subscription fees, not ask people to buy it in a box, especially when most interested fans own it on Wii.

Then again none of this would impact the game that much so I guess they're ripping people off for a little bit of extra cash. If the game is long lasting and earns a lot in fees is up to its quality, content and updates.

test_account

XP-39C²
Oh, didn't know that.

ZombiU then, that's an original IP. :p
I didnt know of the Arcade game either before i saw the WiiU version :)

Are there any legal protections for this in other parts of the world? I know there are buy-back/compensation systems in place, but i always thought these were things that the companies themself decided to do.

I just don't see what Nintendo have up their sleeves to give the U a boost in any region until Mario and Kart are released later in the year.
Wii Fit could likely bomb - people bought the first one because they had a Wii and it was a new phenomenon. Now they have to fork out 300 quid/bucks/whatever the yen equiv is just for a new piece of software that pretty much does the same thing as their existing Wii version. I just don't see what the target audience is for Wii Fit U. Yes they sold millions of balance boards but how many people would be prepared to buy a Wii U just to carry on using them...

Blast from the past ;)

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=498093
I don't blame them though. If someone told me that a psv port of Muramasa would outsell DQX on the WiiU I would laugh.

The thing I found most surprising though was Game and Wario. I heard it had mediocre reviews too. Nintendo should just stop with the minigames.

Anybody who actually followed the history of MHP3HD and DQX would have known that those two titles wouldn't have been major sellers for the Wii U. I guarantee you people will make the same mistake when MH4HD gets announced.

daxgame

Rubbish. It's a worse bomb than Wario given the DQ pedigree it has behind it.

I disagree. All of those who wanted to play it bought it from the Wii. Then, those who wanted to update to the WiiU simply bought the discounted one, which isn't counted here.
The remaining sales are either come crazy ones who waited this long or people who simply bought the WiiU bundle just for this.

BriBri

Crazy to think that a western Dragon Quest mainline title will probably outsell the Japanese version (U for U).

It's as mainline as FFXI or XIV (ie: it isn't).
Also it has already sold 600K+ on Wii.

Lol, As far as SE is concerned those are mainline FF, hence the fact that they are numbered. They probably won't see the same sales as offline RPG's but that is separate from the fact that they are numbered.

As far as the Vita, we will see. If it does maintain numbers above 20k I guess we should be asking why.

Takao

Banned
"I imagine something like One Piece Musou 2 would be primarily made for Wii U, given Nintendo and Namco Bandai's new relationship."

Oh Anth0ny... OP:pW2 would be announced for PS3/Vita a few weeks later.

"I imagine something like One Piece Musou 2 would be primarily made for Wii U, given Nintendo and Namco Bandai's new relationship."

Oh Anth0ny... OP:pW2 would be announced for PS3/Vita a few weeks later.

It's like that Persona 5 thread. "They announced SMTxFE and showed one piece of art, THAT MEANS P5 ON WII U WOOOOO"

I disagree. All of those who wanted to play it bought it from the Wii. Then, those who wanted to update to the WiiU simply bought the discounted one, which isn't counted here.
The remaining sales are either come crazy ones who waited this long or people who simply bought the WiiU bundle just for this.

So mini-game collection featuring a second tier Nintendo character vs a mainline DQ HD port? Really?

crinale

For DQX, it'd be more of SE's own fault for low sales numbers. The game is OKAY but... I think general game audience in Japan expect more from DQ. Plus, DQ as a MMO isn't the greatest idea from get go.

Foshy

Whoa. Did not expect DQX and Game and Wario being THIS low. I remember some people saying DQX Wii sales were low because people were waiting for the superior Wii U version, guess not lol

No Famitsu numbers this time?

cmeese47

Neo Member
Its weird huge bump in hardware for the WiiU but Wario was not a big seller and neither was Dragon Quest although I suspect the later being responsible for the increased sales.

daxgame

So mini-game collection featuring a second tier Nintendo character vs a mainline DQ HD port? Really?

Wtf does that even mean? All Wario Ware games are a mini game collections, but you should look at how much they sold. Game & Wario is a super bomba, and I bet Nintendo is eating their hands for changing the name - not that I think it would've sold better. It just failed hard.

About Dragon Quest: it's just an HD port of a MMORPG, and not only that: every rational person would probably get the discounted version, which isn't even counted. Maybe it could've sold 50k?
Just check how much Monster Hunter Tri sold, and then how much MH3 HD sold.
Now check how much DQ X sold and how much DQ HD sold. The rate is similar.

Mr Swine

Banned
So with Vita selling fantastic each week now. Think Developers will change their tune and scrap/move over their 3DS games to Vita or is it a bit too late?

Kenka

So with Vita selling fantastic each week now. Think Developers will change their tune and scrap/move over their 3DS games to Vita or is it a bit too late?
We all sure hope they do. We want a more aggressive Nintendo who has someone to compete with.
Bring me the big announcements.

orioto

Good Art™
Blast from the past ;)

That said, the saddest part, japan gaming market wise, is that as low as can be the WiiU sales.. it could still dominate the two others with that!

extralite

So the numbers include the half price DQX from SE or not?

If not, I bet they're quite different.
I don't think they include any digital numbers.

There was a system bundle and it's half price on eShop. I hope we get digital numbers for it.
Actually it's full price on eShop. Owners of the Wii version can get a download code for half price on SE's e-store though.

I think it is fair for people to expect more from DQX, but let's not go too crazy- hell it was given a release date 6 weeks ago! I'd be curious what the promotion was like in Japan.
I saw one short ad on eShop that was basically ten seconds showing train riding and a catch phrase saying everything leveled up on Wii U (graphics, music). They use the concept of leveling up a lot, even after an update the system message says the game leveled up.

Are DQX servers shared? I.e. can a Wii player play with/against a WiiU player?

Yes, they're the same servers. Servers didn't get noticably more active after the U release, so I wasn't expecting much. Spikes in server use usually result from new quests launched or big updates, i.e. they bring back the existing user base. For some odd reason the housing server was very slow today but there is no clear explanation why that'd be. Maybe cosplay is becoming more popular, you need flowers for that and they're grown at people's houses.

duckroll

Wut. Are you being ironic? Why would developers scrap and move their 3DS games to the platform which is selling half of what the 3DS is?

extralite

Can't blame them with that awful grammar. "Is Iwata's time owatta?" works, I guess.

The original sentence is much better on a stylistical level, having the quasi rhyming words following each other. Also, the grammar is fine. Any Japanese full sentence can be included in another sentence like a single noun, nothing wrong with that. And your 'corrected' sentence isn't even saying the same thing.

Top Bottom