• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 13, 2013 (Mar 25 - Mar 31)

saichi

I think that if MH underperforms at least, we might have a shot at finally getting a proper next-gen reboot for the franchise some time down the line. By underperfoming I mean sub-1 million first week, that would be a large enough drop-off that Capcom would have to take notice.

This is as likely as "if Pokemon underperforms at least, we might have a shot at finally getting a proper next-gen reboot for the franchise some time down the line. By underperfoming I mean sub-1 million first week, that would be a large enough drop-off that Nintendo would have to take notice."

Soriku

Not particularly likely, no. Expectations are more in line with about 1.5 million given the current size of the userbase. 1 million is just the line where I see Capcom execs starting to panic.

I can definitely see MH4 underperfoming though, people here choose to ignore the recent releases but they point to a decline from the height of the franchise's popularity with MHP3. I doubt anyone here is expecting it to sell on par with that, correct?

Considering MH is huge in Japan because of the local (and portable) multiplayer aspect, if there was a decline in the series on a popular portable platform, it would indicate that the series itself is losing appeal. A next-gen version for consoles wouldn't have the same type of multiplayer as a portable version, and would likely do worse. The only way a next-gen MH would cause a shake up if the entire fanbase suddenly wanted MH to push graphics and become primarily online-dominant in terms of multiplayer, which is practically impossible.

I expect a drop off for MH4 from MHP3, but it won't have anything to do with people suddenly not interested in a portable MH.

This is as likely as "if Pokemon underperforms at least, we might have a shot at finally getting a proper next-gen reboot for the franchise some time down the line. By underperfoming I mean sub-1 million first week, that would be a large enough drop-off that Nintendo would have to take notice."

Yes, because Monster Hunter was never a console franchise.

I'm not saying it's something sure to happen, but to say it's impossible is silly.

L Thammy

I think 4 will do much better than 3G did. Perhaps over two million units better.

Instead of capping the Y axis, you might consider using a logarithmic scale. That's the usual way of displaying skewed data.

Something like this? (Except properly labelled.)

D5RWsai.png

DaBoss

I'm not saying it's something sure to happen, but to say it's impossible is silly.

This isn't related to sales, but have you played any Monster Hunter game? Specifically any 3rd gen games (MHTri, MHP3rd (HD), MH3U)?

Clov

Well, looks like that's it for Dragon Quest on consoles!

Nintendo better announce some release dates soon. They need to do SOMETHING at least; there might have been a bump, but it wasn't a big one and it certainly won't be lasting.

This isn't related to sales, but have you played any Monster Hunter game? Specifically any 3rd gen games (MHTri, MHP3rd (HD), MH3U)?

I rented MH3U for Wii U and played for about 2 hours. It was kind of fun, didn't really pull me in enough to keep going with it though. But yeah, most of my interest in discussing it is related to Sales-Age stuff.

Soriku

Nintendo better announce some release dates soon. They need to do SOMETHING at least; there might have been a bump, but it wasn't a big one and it certainly won't be lasting.

Why are you saying this based on an MMO which has sold much much more on another console already?

Not that I expect a non-MMO mainline DQ on consoles anytime soon...

Takao

Banned

Really? Monster Hunter was never the monster it was on handhelds, but the series always did some good business on the home consoles:

[PS2] Monster Hunter - 288,559
[PS2] Monster Hunter G - 232,239
[PS2] Monster Hunter 2 - 570,651

[Wii] Monster Hunter G - 236,020
[Wii] Monster Hunter Tri - 1,070,743

[PS3] Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD - 404,501

[Wii U] Monster Hunter Tri G HD - 195,213

crinale

Why are you saying this based on an MMO which has sold much much more on another console already?

Not that I expect a non-MMO mainline DQ on consoles anytime soon...

By looking at current CEO's background I'm afraid DQ is likely to stay handheld at best.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

I want to reiterate that the number is not good, period.

But these posts don't make a ton of sense to me- I think the general consensus was the Wii version sold pretty well for a MMO and if there is any disappointment on SE's end it would be with the retained subscriber number.

Ah, I reckon they'll wait for the 3DS successor to come for that. It would be a nice title to get DQ fans onto the platform.

Doubt they will wait that long. 4DS is not coming out for awhile. Either port it to 3DS as is and DQ will look just the same as it did on PS2 or worse, or do a PS3/PSV HD remake. SE doesn't need to wait on Nintendo in order to make a business decision that would benefit them.

I think it's more likely Square Enix no longer cares about ever making a graphically impressive DQ game again. DQIX showed them that even a sequel which looked substantially worse than the previous game could sell more. Sucks for fans who liked DQVIII, but I think that era of DQ is over.

Indeed, may even go to iOS. I'm only half kidding.

A bit ironic yes :p but what are the chances of Capcom releasing Monhun game for vita now that its selling well?

A MH on vita, if it ever comes, would only be after Capcom fulfills their contract obligations with Nintendo (rumored to be 3 years). MH3G came out in 2011, so, at the earliest, it would be Fall 2014.

I fixed that. There's nothing inherently wrong with having a one off DQ as an MMO. There's something wrong with having it as an MMO and not putting it on PC and putting it exclusively on the consoles with the weakest online infrastructure.
For Japan it's not a problem at all and the game already did rather well on Wii (650k sold, 400k subscriber base). In Japan it's already the best selling Japanese MMORPG ever. Overseas is where I see Wii family excusivity being an issue though... if SE is really serious about DQX in the west (and if Nintendo isn't already publishing it for them) they should make it Wii U/PC multiplatform.

Really? Monster Hunter was never the monster it was on handhelds, but the series always did some good business on the home consoles:

Sorry, I didn't make it more clear but that's actually what I tried to convey. There's "success" and there's "success when compared to an even greater success".
The original quote was "Yes, because Monster Hunter was never a console franchise."
I tried to "fix" it but English is not my native language.. :(

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

But these posts don't make a ton of sense to me- I think the general consensus was the Wii version sold pretty well for a MMO and if there is any disappointment on SE's end it would be with the retained subscriber number.

Square Enix implied they were pretty happy at launch at least.

That said I think just about everyone is expecting the next mainline Dragon Quest on 3DS, though that would probably have happened regardless of if DQX sold four times as much as it did.

L Thammy

I don't think DQX implies that console DQ cannot succeed. It implies that an MMO DQ will scare off a lot of the customers.

The Monhun on Vita question again?

This question coming up a million times bugged the hell out of me when I was waiting on my account, so I'll give a full (as far as I'm capable) answer.
Spinoffs aside, there's three main streams of MH games. Each has a pattern. I think they're made by different teams, but don't quote me on that.

Mainline series
1, G, 2, 3, and soon 4.
All have online multiplayer. All on console until 4, which made a generation transition onto 3DS.
Until 4, they were all on the biggest console of the generation (PS2, Wii). 4 is on the biggest handheld instead (3DS).
No concurrent multiplatform releases.
Only G has been ported. The first time was the start of the Portable series, the second time it was a 4 year late port from one gen to another (PS2 -> Wii).

Portable series
P, P2, P2G, P3, 3G.
All have local multiplayer. All on handheld.
All on PSP until 3G, which made a generation transition onto 3DS.
No concurrent mutliplatform releases.
P3 and 3G were ported only to the console that could link with them and provide online play (PSP->PS3, 3DS->WIU).

Frontier
S1 through S10, F1 through F5.
Online multiplayer. Free to play or pay to play depending on region.
Originally PC exclusive. 360 versions were announced 3 years in.

extralite

The last official statement on subscriber numbers was very positive, 400 000 people subscribing for more than 3 months. But that was a long time ago, in November.

The recent news about not meeting expectations clearly said it didn't become the big hit they had hoped for. They also said they were making steady progress. They have been pushing the game since November with the free trial at Tsutaya, when subscriber numbers were definitely holding up.

Your assumption isn't backed by, and even contradicts, the official statements.

crinale

Many people have forgotten that mainline MH required monthly online subscription fee.
(There WAS a single player mode but saying that is like DQX has single player mode to some extent).
PS3's MHP3HD was the first console MH without it.

Cromat

This is somewhat OT but did people like Dragon Quest 9? I know it sold really well but was it well received?

For Japan it's not a problem at all and the game already did rather well on Wii (650k sold, 400k subscriber base). In Japan it's already the best selling Japanese MMORPG ever. Overseas is where I see Wii family excusivity being an issue though... if SE is really serious about DQX in the west (and if Nintendo isn't already publishing it for them) they should make it Wii U/PC multiplatform.

Yet evidence points to them being unhappy with DQX's performance. Maybe they expected even bigger numbers. I do agree that the sales on the Wii are extremely good. Not sure if that subscriber base is accurate today though. The number you are claiming is accurate as of what date actually? IMO, it is still a problem in Japan, though definitely not as big as it will be in the west.

Weird that you did not include PS3 and 360 on that hypothetical multiplatform strategy for the west as well.

Going by name, yes. Going by the presence of local multiplayer over online, no. Which do you think is more important?

Technically he's right though. The "Portable" series have only ever been released on PSP/PS3. The mainline series got local multiplayer over online.

Hero

Great to see LM2 holding up well.

Not my responsbility. But if I had the choice, I would pick a someone outside of Nintendo and preferably must be a westener who has an extensive career in high end comsumer electronics and social engineering.

You are absolutely delusional if you think Nintendo would get a westerner to be CEO of NCL. Even a Japanese person outside of the company is unlikely.

faridmon

Congrats to Next Level Games. They honestly did a great job on the game, and I certain;y can not wait for their next project. Succeeding in Japan brings a smile to my face, albeit the representation of the game in that country is looked as a NCL product, but nevertheless, they showed that they are a competent company that can attract wide audience of different demography.

L Thammy

The name actually. Tri G is an expansion of Tri, not Portable 3rd. Those two are separate games.

Tri was a reboot of sorts. Portable 3rd is heavily based on Tri's content: about half of the new monsters are subspecies of Tri's. It expands off Tri's monster (water monsters not included) rather than 2nd G's. 3G is heavily based on Portable 3rd's content in turn.

What are people's thoughts of Dragon Ball Heroes' sales? I'm honestly REALLY surprised at how much it's selling, it even went sold MORE this week than the last.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Capcom already tried the "HD MH" thing with Dragon's Dogma. How did that perform? (Honestly curious.)

Wii G outsold Tri G HD? Wow.
KuGsj.gif

Capcom already tried the "HD MH" thing with Dragon's Dogma. How did that perform? (Honestly curious.)

KuGsj.gif

That was released at a good point as; the Wii's install base eclipses Wii U's, and the hype for MH3, there's nothing MH-related for Wii U other than the hopeful HD MH4.

Those are my guesses.

Takao

Banned

Pretty well for a new IP:

[PS3] Dragon's Dogma - 467,375
[360] Dragon's Dogma - 39,435

What are people's thoughts of Dragon Ball Heroes' sales? I'm honestly REALLY surprised at how much it's selling, it even went sold MORE this week than the last.

It's selling very well, which pains me since it's a low effort release.

Tri was a reboot of sorts. Portable 3rd is heavily based on Tri's content: about half of the new monsters are subspecies of Tri's. It expands off Tri's monster (water monsters not included) rather than 2nd G's. 3G is heavily based on Portable 3rd's content in turn.

I don't think Capcom, or really anyone else agrees with you on the Tri G = portable series thing, but okay.

Sandfox

the wii u also shows signs of life. you know, when it gets some games. game & wario turned out to be a massive flop, and deservedly so. dqx is probably the last dq we'll see on a nintendo console judging by the ~40k sold. doubt that'll ever break 100k. either everyone loves their wii version and don't want to upgrade, or nobody cares about the game. judging comments from square enix, i assume it's the latter.

I think it has more to do with the game itself and the fact that most people already own the game rather than the platform. If DQXI for example was a traditional RPG released for the Wii U(which probably won't ever happen) it would probably put more typical DQ numbers unless the fans have grown to expect the games on handhelds or something.

I guess its better for some people than paying to play it in the arcades.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How is it a HD MH thing when it has no multiplayer whatsoever? It's more of an open world style action RPG than anything in MH.

I thought we went through this already in a previous thread.

Any game where multiple characters fight a large creature/monster/thing with action gameplay is a Monster Hunter clone.

Hero

KuGsj.gif

Nobody expected Tri G HD to outsell any previous incarnations of the game. If this is a surprise to you then I'm not sure if you have your head on straight.

I believe Vita will hit weekly sales of around 12,000 to 14,000 by the end of April. It had an amazing March, there's no denying that, but it took a lot to get to that point. There's no software in April, and Soul Sacrifice ended up not being what many hoped it to be. So good luck Vita, you're going to need it.

It's selling very well, which pains me since it's a low effort release.

I find it to be a good thing; BN isn't going to see this a meaning people like shitty games, they'll see it as the 3DS being a good platform for future DB games, if the game bombed, BN would likely never consider a DB game on it ever again, it was likely released as a token test game, and 3DS owners seem to really dig Dragon Ball.

So now follow up with a great game, I'd still kill for Shin Budokai 3 or ANY Budokai on 3DS.

To release them on PlayStation platforms, haha.
Or more specifically, to have Monster Hunter Freedom 4 to release on PS3/4 in the west in the hope of replicating the success of Monster Hunter Tri, since MH3U seems unlikely to be able to do so.

Top Bottom