• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 13, 2013 (Mar 25 - Mar 31)

AniHawk

vita's starting to come into its own. i know sales are declining slowly, but the floor seems like it'll be much higher than before now that games the japanese market enjoys are releasing on a regular basis. with the support it'll get from sony thanks to the ps4, it should stick around the japanese market for a while.

the wii u also shows signs of life. you know, when it gets some games. game & wario turned out to be a massive flop, and deservedly so. dqx is probably the last dq we'll see on a nintendo console judging by the ~40k sold. doubt that'll ever break 100k. either everyone loves their wii version and don't want to upgrade, or nobody cares about the game. judging comments from square enix, i assume it's the latter.

the wii u goes back into drought mode now until wii fit u and pikmin 3, i guess.

The Vita needs games more than the WiiU imo. WiiU will get the eventual big guns that will at least stop it from being a total failure. The Vita has no guarantee right now and it would be good if Sony capitalises on it now unless there planning another 5k price drop in the fall.

SE are actual idiots for not putting DQX on the PC. Is there any truth to Nintendo moneyhatting? If they did they made a huge mistake.

Any notable Vita releases in april/may?

@Anihawk: "the floor seems like it'll be much higher than before now"

One thing is for sure, it will not drop to sub 10k anytime soon like some people were expecting at this point 3 weeks ago.

AniHawk

The Vita needs games more than the WiiU imo. WiiU will get the eventual big guns that will at least stop it from being a total failure. The Vita has no guarantee right now and it would be good if Sony capitalises on it now unless there planning another 5k price drop in the fall.

i expect the vita's major support to start rolling in once the ps4 gets going. tying the vita to a soon-to-be-dead console like the ps3 would be a mistake, but it appears that's not sony's plan for the machine.

Digitally (w/ retail cards): Pokemon Rumble on April 24th.

Retail: Rabbidsland on June 6th.

please understand that wii u was a colossal mistake.

Anth0ny

Digitally (w/ retail cards): Pokemon Rumble on April 24th.

Retail: Rabbidsland on June 6th.

Is Rumble the one with NFC toys? Has that series done well in the past in Japan?

I can't see it moving much hardware, but that have done a bit of a marketing push with this one... who knows.

As for Rabbidsland... lol

Something has to be coming in May, right? SURELY.

i expect the vita's major support to start rolling in once the ps4 gets going. tying the vita to a soon-to-be-dead console like the ps3 would be a mistake, but it appears that's not sony's plan for the machine.

I can seldom tell if you're joking or not.

FWIW, Vita HW predictions for the rest of April: 24K -> 18K -> 13K -> 9.5K.

duckroll

I think it's safe to say that anything which is not announced within this month will not be coming out in July. It's practically impossible to release anything in May and June which doesn't already have a date right now.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
As for Rabbidsland... lol

Something has to be coming in May, right? SURELY.

I dunno- its April 3 already. I guess something is conceivable for the end of the month but more likely any announcements are for June.

I think it's safe to say that anything which is not announced within this month will not be coming out in July. It's practically impossible to release anything in May and June which doesn't already have a date right now.

I see.

So in Vita's case the best case scenario will be FFXHD and GE2 being released in May/June/July.
In WiiU's case the best case scenario will be Wii FitU, Pikmin3 and W101 being released in May/June/July.

Are there any other Vita or WiiU games that don't have release dates yet that could make it for Q2?

Plus, DQ as a MMO exclusively on Nintendo consoles isn't the greatest idea from get go.

I fixed that. There's nothing inherently wrong with having a one off DQ as an MMO. There's something wrong with having it as an MMO and not putting it on PC and putting it exclusively on the consoles with the weakest online infrastructure.

About Dragon Quest: it's just an HD port of a MMORPG, and not only that: every rational person would probably get the discounted version, which isn't even counted. Maybe it could've sold 50k?
Just check how much Monster Hunter Tri sold, and then how much MH3 HD sold.
Now check how much DQ X sold and how much DQ HD sold. The rate is similar.

People are aware of that. PSO2 is a port of an MMO on vita and it sold nearly 2x as much as DQX at retail. PSO2 is also available as a free download. DQ is a significantly bigger brand than PSO. 33K first week at retail for a mainline DQ is unheard of. Port or no port. People obviously had lowered expectations, given it was an MMO, but I don't think expectations were ever this low.

As I said previously, PSO2 had a bunch of downloads, so I'll wait on a possible number of DQX download before completely declaring it a bomba.

duckroll

I see.

So in Vita's case the best case scenario will be FFXHD and GE2 being released in May/June/July.
In WiiU's case the best case scenario will be Wii FitU, Pikmin3 and W101 being released in May/June/July.

Are there any other Vita or WiiU games that don't have release dates yet that could make it for Q2?

I'm fairly sure FFXHD won't be coming out until Fall/Winter. God Eater 2 is a ???????????. I think they have issues with development. It's taking really long.

W101 is probably July or later. Pikmin 3 will be out in 2017.

Shahed

Eh? DQIX is the highest selling game in the series ever, and at one point was the highest selling third party game in Japan ever. They've already released 3 DQ games for the 3DS. There's no way that DQXI is going to be on anything other than the 3DS.

Oh I perfectly agree about DQXI in terms of sales. Despite my desires, it makes no sense to have on anything other than 3DS. I'm talking about DQVIII though. If I see it again, I want it to be a leap forward visually. That won't happen on 3DS, hence why I'd prefer a Wii U or PS4 version

L Thammy

XxwxG4p.png

Y-axis capped for visibility.

pWd85Lt.png

All charts launch-aligned. All numbers from Media Create.

QSUKBXj.png

Y-axis capped for visibility.

JT8xemK.png

Note, since this draws only from the top 10 it does not represent smaller titles.
e.g., software sales of zero are assumed if the console has no games in the top 10.

0HEkth4.png

Tally of the number of titles for that platform in the top 20 for each week.
I can't find the top 20 for PS3's second week. It has been assumed as zero.

Feel free to criticize or point out mistakes.

"Wii U has games now" bonus. The following charts still only represent first sixteen weeks.

QRdLf61.png

Number of games in the top 10, and thus, the number included in the software charts above.

AVivMNc.png

For example, Wii U had New Super Mario Bros U, Nintendo Land, and Monster Hunter 3G HD at launch.
Now it has Game & Wario and Dragon Quest X.
So, five Wii U games total have appeared in Media Create's Top 10 over its first sixteen weeks.

K3cEyIO.png

This shows the number of weeks from launch that the system went without having a new title in the Media Create top 10 (and thus being included in the software charts above).
For example, after launch, the first Wii title to hit the top 10 was Pokemon Battle Revolution in its third week.
So, the Wii had one week before having a new title in the top 10.

Vita's the no 2 handheld/console for this week once again. The drop off has been slower than expected. How about that.

DQ X numbers horrific as they seem to be, aren't totally unexpected. If the sell through was as high as others have stated in the thread, it implies that retailers were aware of the lack of interest in the title on the Wii U and thus, readjusted their orders accordingly.

Game and Wario bombing is pretty sweet though. A sign that the market is definitely not going for this kinda crap.

Both of them losing out to Muramasa is the biggest takeaway from this week though. Hilarious.

duckroll

GE2 may come out in June, but who knows.

It's pretty odd that the release date is still listed as "2013" in general, instead of "2013 Summer" or anything. They don't want to commit, which suggests they could be afraid it might taking longer than they expect. I wonder why the game is taking so damn long.

serplux

Oh I perfectly agree about DQXI in terms of sales. Despite my desires, it makes no sense to have on anything other than 3DS. I'm talking about DQVIII though. If I see it again, I want it to be a leap forward visually. That won't happen on 3DS, hence why I'd prefer a Wii U or PS4 version

Ah, I reckon they'll wait for the 3DS successor to come for that. It would be a nice title to get DQ fans onto the platform.

saichi

Also, Japan experts: how should we interpret the -79% of the One Piece game? Didn't the first one perform better in comparison? Seems like a huge drop to me

no. ~80% drop seems normal for big games on PS3 and it is better than the first one (-86% from 2st to 2nd week)

After 4 months in the market, this is the only Japanese third-party game (released or announced) for Wii U that is not a port.

wtf is this :(

even more random than I thought. It was polled in 2006 and I don't think it would be THAT relevant. If people love FFX that much, why didn't it sell better?

So with Vita selling fantastic each week now. Think Developers will change their tune and scrap/move over their 3DS games to Vita or is it a bit too late?

sarcasm?

so when does the next wii u exclusive come out?

Hopefully before Nintendo discontinues Wii U

EDIT:

A bit ironic yes :p but what are the chances of Capcom releasing Monhun game for vita now that its selling well?

sarcasm?

duckroll

Ah, I reckon they'll wait for the 3DS successor to come for that. It would be a nice title to get DQ fans onto the platform.

I think it's more likely Square Enix no longer cares about ever making a graphically impressive DQ game again. DQIX showed them that even a sequel which looked substantially worse than the previous game could sell more. Sucks for fans who liked DQVIII, but I think that era of DQ is over.

Mr Swine

Banned
Wut. Are you being ironic? Why would developers scrap and move their 3DS games to the platform which is selling half of what the 3DS is?

A bit ironic yes :p but what are the chances of Capcom releasing Monhun game for vita now that its selling well?

Novid

Banned
I think it's more likely Square Enix no longer cares about ever making a graphically impressive DQ game again. DQIX showed them that even a sequel which looked substantially worse than the previous game could sell more. Sucks for fans who liked DQVIII, but I think that era of DQ is over.

then those fans are just going to monster hunter on 3ds then. how the fuck you do this to fucking dragon quest. that's almost like ea put DRM on a football. *this football sponsored by*

serplux

Well, the next Nintendo handheld is likely going to be an HD handheld, so they'll have to up the stakes then. Besides, it's not like the DQ series was ever particularly well known for having stunning graphics (DQVII is especially eh).

duckroll

Well, the next Nintendo handheld is likely going to be an HD handheld, so they'll have to up the stakes then. Besides, it's not like the DQ series was ever particularly well known for having stunning graphics (DQVII is especially eh).

DQVIII was, which was the point made. That was an exception which I don't think people should expect again. They don't have to up any stakes for HD or otherwise. Just look at DQX. Lol. :p

Darryl

Banned
Blast from the past ;)

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=498093

I don't blame them though. If someone told me that a psv port of Muramasa would outsell DQX on the WiiU I would laugh.

The thing I found most surprising though was Game and Wario. I heard it had mediocre reviews too. Nintendo should just stop with the minigames.

I see WiiU Fit not doing as well either. Sub 50k opening I think.

i still think DQX will raise the value proposition of the console and will have legs. i don't see much from that thread that says people were expecting hard day 1 numbers

I think that if MH underperforms at least, we might have a shot at finally getting a proper next-gen reboot for the franchise some time down the line. By underperfoming I mean sub-1 million first week, that would be a large enough drop-off that Capcom would have to take notice.

Soriku

I think that if MH underperforms at least, we might have a shot at finally getting a proper next-gen reboot for the franchise some time down the line. By underperfoming I mean sub-1 million first week, that would be a large enough drop-off that Capcom would have to take notice.

Do you think that's going to happen?

Good luck with that.

I don't see any reason to believe MH4 would massively underperform on 3DS.

serplux

DQVIII was, which was the point made. That was an exception which I don't think people should expect again. They don't have to up any stakes for HD or otherwise. Just look at DQX. Lol. :p

It was one game. :p The rest of the series never was really eye-catching to me. I'd like to think they'd put in more effort for an original Dragon Quest on the 3DS successor than a port of a title for the Wii U. The DQVIIr looks pretty great.

SE are actual idiots for not putting DQX on the PC. Is there any truth to Nintendo moneyhatting? If they did they made a huge mistake.

Agree on vita needing more games than WiiU. MK, Zelda, Smash should all do well on WiiU, vita has nothing like that.

It should be pretty obvious that Nintendo moneyhatted DQX. SE had no incentive otherwise to put the game on WiiU or maybe even Wii.

I can seldom tell if you're joking or not.

FWIW, Vita HW predictions for the rest of April: 24K -> 18K -> 13K -> 9.5K.

Can't go back on this now, but isn't the last week of April Golden Week? I doubt numbers will go down that week...

Any notable Vita releases in april/may?

I put the relevant JP releases for Vita and WiiU below, someone correct me if I am wrong or missed anything:

Vita:
05/23 - Valhalla Knights 3
06/27 - Toukiden
07/25 - Dragon's Crown
TBD - God Eater 2
TBD - FFX
TBD - FFX-2

WiiU:
04/24 - Pokemon Scramble U
05/23 - BioHazard: Revelations - Unveiled Edition
TBD - Pikmin 3
TBD - WiiFitU
TBD - MarioKart
TBD - Mario 3D
TBD - SSB
TBD - Zelda WW HD
TBD - New Zelda
TBD - Wonderful 101
TBD - Bayonetta 2

IMO The vita's list is way more pathetic. If we include western games then WiiU also gets Watch Dogs and AC4 while Vita gets tearaway and killzone.

Do you think that's going to happen?

Not particularly likely, no. Expectations are more in line with about 1.5 million given the current size of the userbase. 1 million is just the line where I see Capcom execs starting to panic.

I can definitely see MH4 underperfoming though, people here choose to ignore the recent releases but they point to a decline from the height of the franchise's popularity with MHP3. I doubt anyone here is expecting it to sell on par with that, correct?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
IMO The vita's list is way more pathetic. If we include western games then WiiU also gets Watch Dogs and AC4 while Vita gets tearaway and killzone.

I agree the Wii U list is better- but you have to take into consideration that Nintendo has given zero indications that they have their shit together and will releasing most of those titles anytime soon.

Top Bottom