• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2011 (Apr 11 - Apr 17)

Alrus said:
What were the sales on previous DoA actually? Is it more popular than the other fighting games? The genre doesn't seem to pull massive number in Japan... I would say DoA:D will do decently but nothing really amazing.
Famistu numbers

DOA SS 161,658
DOA2 PS2 341,362
DOA2 DC 127,219
DOA3 XB 217,149
DOAU XB 62,089
DOA4 360 108,618

donny2112

Orgen said:
We (Chris (*) and I) discussed this two or three weeks ago. The game is announced (Chris can provide you the link) and he thinks the genre is dead and that a new game in the series won't break the 500.000 LTD barrier but I think that it can be a million seller (not 4-5 million like the previous games, but 1-2 millions... yeah, why not?).

So we'll see who is right when the time comes! ;D

(*) Feel free to correct or add anything :)

Possible impacts to the "Training market."

*) Inclusion of Brain Training games in every DSiXL.
*) Used sales (though much less of an issue for mainstreamers).
*) How many times do you need to learn Kanji, exactly? :lol

As for the Cooking Navi 2 "failure," it looks like the same kind of thing happened in the U.S. Personal Trainer: Cooking sold really well, and the sequel didn't seem to. This is probably more of a "I haven't made all the recipes in the first game, so why do I want the second game?" issue, though. I have both of the U.S. games, and I'd still rather make more of the Personal Trainer: Cooking recipes before opening up the other one. I just got it because it was a really low price, and I might eventually want to do a recipe in it, but then, I'm not the typical "trainer" audience group. :p

I think a Brain Training 3 for 3DS that makes clever use of the 3-D (hiding Dr. Kawashima face on the opening screen and popping out to surprise you, anyone?) could do very well,
after the 3DS has a big price drop
. :lol

Bizzyb said:
Key Word "Exclusively"

Every Dragon Quest has been exclusive since DQ3 in 1988 and they're not going to change now. Dragon Quest, moreso than any other series (except MH which has even better reasons to make each individual series entry an exclusive) will sell where it's released, and the only real barrier is making sure that enough people have the hardware in their homes to play it. Porting it is a wasteful expense that won't open up any extra potential sales.

charlequin said:
Every Dragon Quest has been exclusive since DQ3 in 1988 and they're not going to change now. Dragon Quest, moreso than any other series (except MH which has even better reasons to make each individual series entry an exclusive) will sell where it's released, and the only real barrier is making sure that enough people have the hardware in their homes to play it. Porting it is a wasteful expense that won't open up any extra potential sales.
It will sell yes, but how much. The Wii version barely broke the million iirc. I realize that Japan is the biggest market for MH, and that Japan has become more of a handheld nation, but that does negate my point. which is MH will/might not sell on other platform as well as it sells on the PSP. Which means it does not make sense for Capcom to release it exclusively on other platforms, if the main audience for MH is the PSP one.
I am not saying MH will not come to the 3DS, but it will not exclusive to 3DS in case it was announced.

I'm going to be out for the weekend so early prediction league talk, what should we take from next week titles? I have three for sure (FPS, Patapon, Shaddai PS3) then 3 that should still chart easily thus I'd include them (Hakuouki DS, Starry Sky PSP, Shaddai 360) and Deca Sports 3D not that sure, it should chart since it just takes 5k but it could dwarf the percentages (say it does 5k and you said 10k, woohoo 100% off already).

Beam said:
It will sell yes, but how much. The Wii version barely broke the million iirc. I realize that Japan is the biggest market for MH, and that Japan has become more of a handheld nation, but that does negate my point. which is MH will/might not sell on other platform as well as it sells on the PSP. Which means it does not make sense for Capcom to release it exclusively on other platforms, if the main audience for MH is the PSP one.
I am not saying MH will not come to the 3DS, but it will not exclusive to 3DS in case it was announced.
For a game that's core appeal is rooted in quest co-op, a million isn't too bad considering MH3 is online only and subscription based. Actually, has any other subscription based game ever sold a million in Japan, or is MH3 the record holder?

3DS would automatically alleviate both these issues anyway.

iidesuyo said:
No one expects a successor to sell less and they need the money.
And no one who makes predictions based merely on the previous release and wishes without regard to other factors is taking their job seriously.
_dementia said:
Is DOA3 the best selling Xbox game in Japan?
Yup. #2: DOAXBV. #4: DOA Ultimate.

kswiston

lunchwithyuzo said:
For a game that's core appeal is rooted in quest co-op, a million isn't too bad considering MH3 is online only and subscription based. Actually, has any other subscription based game ever sold a million in Japan, or is MH3 the record holder?

It's going to take another 18-24 months before the Japanese 3DS userbase is large enough to support something the size of of Monster Hunter, even if 3DS sales pick up.

Monster Hunter Portable 3 is going to break 5M eventually. Monster Hunter Portable 2G was over 4M when you add up budget re-releases.

Any Monster Hunter release in the next year would be better off staying on the PSP.

Spiegel

Beam said:

My bet: MHP3G released at the end of the year/early 2012 in three versions: PSP UMD, PSN release and NGP card. If a good part of the userbase buys the NGP release and NGP doesn't tank, they'll keep the franchise on NGP. If that doesn't happen they'll release a 3DS version.

That's the safest bet for Capcom. Releasing the game on NGP will cost nothing and that way they can try to move the userbase from one console to the other without risks and without fragmenting it, considering NGP and PSP owners could play together.

lunchwithyuzo said:

Well if MH3G released exclusively on the 3DS, it needs to outsell MH3rd (4 million + copies) or Copcom and its investors will be really pissed.

Edit:
Spiegel said:
My bet: MHP3G released at the end of the year/early 2012 in three versions: PSP UMD, PSN release and NGP card. If a good part of the userbase buys the NGP release and NGP doesn't tank, they'll keep the franchise on NGP. If that doesn't happen they'll release a 3DS version.

That's the safest bet for Capcom. Releasing the game on NGP will cost nothing and that way they can try to move the userbase from one console to the other without risks and without fragmenting it, considering NGP and PSP owners could play together.

That is the most logical step i can think off.

Bizzyb

Banned
charlequin said:

Then I will laugh hard as SE squanders 4 years of development time and money

but my money is still on a Wii2 release of some sort. Makes no sense to wait so long only to release on a console that has long since faded from relevance.

Beam said:
Well if MH3G released exclusively on the 3DS, it needs to outsell MH3rd (4 million + copies) or Copcom and its investors will be really pissed.
Why would it? What if Nintendo invests directly like with MH3?

It's not like Capcom has SCEA or SCEE helping them out with Portable 3rd. If they want MonHon to grow at all outside Japan, Nintendo might be the better partner.

kswiston

lunchwithyuzo said:

It's not like Capcom has SCEA or SCEE helping them out with Portable 3rd. If they want MonHon to grow at all outside Japan, Nintendo might be the better partner.

3DS's install base is going to be restrictive to the Japanese sales of something the size of Monster Hunter until it is in the 10 million range. And that's if the audience carries over.

Also, I doubt Monster Hunter will ever be really successful outside of Japan. It's not the sort of game that western gamers go for. I think that 500k-1M for NA+Eu is about as good as Capcom can hope for. Similar to Dragon Quest, Japan needs to remain the focus. Okay sales in the west is just a bonus.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Kinda surprised at the 3DS numbers. Did any of you guys predict that the machine would sell sub 30k (barring shortages) a few months ago? Price really does make a diffence, gonna be intresting what the PS3 is going to do at $200.

kswiston said:
3DS's install base is going to be restrictive to the Japanese sales of something the size of Monster Hunter until it is in the 10 million range. And that's if the audience carries over.

Also, I doubt Monster Hunter will ever be really successful outside of Japan. It's not the sort of game that western gamers go for. I think that 500k-1M for NA+Eu is about as good as Capcom can hope for. Similar to Dragon Quest, Japan needs to remain the focus. Okay sales in the west is just a bonus.
You have to start building or transitioning an audience at some point though. I'm just saying Capcom may have concerns greater than if a 3DS MH would sell 4m+ in just Japan alone off the bat. And Tri did pretty well outside Japan, I don't see at all why they couldn't improve on that. Portable 3rd's design seems way more western friendly than Tri was, minus the lacking online part.

Nintendo's proven themselves a good partner overseas, Sony hasn't, that's just another variable true but it's still worth considering.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Beam said:
You bolded wrong words. He is not talking for Monster Hunter.

lunchwithyuzo said:
Lost revenue. Even if MH3G comes out on 3DS and sells 2 million, there will be a lot of lost revenue. Besides every publisher want their next game to sell more than their previous one. Or else why they are releasing something that will not make as much revenue as their previous game.
Since MH series is popular in Japan, SCEJ could finance the production of it. The game sells in Japan more than world wide.
What the use if it grew internationally and yet failed to outsell previous installments of the game? Even though Nintendo advertised MH Tri heavily it barely broke the million copy sold barrier.

Chris1964 said:
You bolded wrong words. He is not talking for Monster Hunter.
Whoops my bad.

RamzaIsCool said:
Kinda surprised at the 3DS numbers. Did any of you guys predict that the machine would sell sub 30k (barring shortages) a few months ago? Price really does make a diffence, gonna be intresting what the PS3 is going to do at $200.

Do you think it has more to do with the price, than the games itself? I've always thought that with the proper software, a system with a $250 price point would sell decently. Price is a problem, I just think that a lack of software is what's hurting the 3DS the most. I mean, I couldn't fucking wait for the 3DS, and now that I have it, I hardly use it except to play Radiant Historia (which is a DS game) and a game of SSF43D every so often. I doubt I'm the only one who's doing the same thing, so a $200+ system still wont sell that much without proper software, imo.

Beam said:
It will sell yes, but how much. The Wii version barely broke the million iirc.

Home consoles vs. handhelds are different for MH, since most of the appeal of the series is based on teens playing local multiplayer with their friends while out of the house. There isn't a similar distinction with DQ.

Beam said:

Series like MHP (and DQ, for that matter) are past the point where the goal is a straight entry-over-entry increase (since they're close to saturating the market.) Instead, at this point, the goal is maintaining and shepherding the existing userbase along and making sure it transitions effectively between generations. Whether the first MHP of this gen is 3DS or NGP exclusive, there's a good chance either way that it'll underperform the last entry due to the platform transition.

Bizzyb said:

Because you honestly think the game won't sell well? Based on... what, exactly? What is going to cause the huge market that buys every new Dragon Quest on the day of release to skip it in this context?

but my money is still on a Wii2 release of some sort

Jealous of all the accolades and praise heaped upon the people who correctly predicted the PSP port of DQIX, I see.

StickSoldier said:
Do you think it has more to do with the price, than the games itself?

These two factors always feed off of each other. I think a 3DS at a $200 pricepoint with the same launch titles would be doing less well than a $250 3DS with a significantly better slate of current and soon-upcoming games. (On the other hand, Nintendo could easily have delivered the former and it would've been harder to deliver the latter.)

charlequin said:
. Whether the first MHP of this gen is 3DS or NGP exclusive, there's a good chance either way that it'll underperform the last entry due to the platform transition.
That is true, unless Capcom make it PSP/NGP MH game with connectivity between the 2 platforms, like Spiegel said
(it won´t be exclusive anymore :p)

charlequin said:
These two factors always feed off of each other. I think a 3DS at a $200 pricepoint with the same launch titles would be doing less well than a $250 3DS with a significantly better slate of current and soon-upcoming games. (On the other hand, Nintendo could easily have delivered the former and it would've been harder to deliver the latter.)

True, I find it hard to justify $150+ on any video game system that doesn't have the proper software to back it up. It would probably be in the same predicament even if it came out at $200, just because it's hard for a person to drop that kind of money on something that really doesn't deserve it. The 3DS is an awesome system itself, it's just not worth the price for people to just buy it and play it a few times due to the lack of games. So I mean even if they lower the price to $200, the sales might go up, but not only will they'll be gaining less revenue per unit, the sales will also still start to lower due to shortage of good games soon after the price drop. They have to get some games out there that will sell this system.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
With the anemic releases this Golden Week has it will be funny if the small possibilitty of Joker being the top selling game comes true.

Beam said:
Lost revenue. Even if MH3G comes out on 3DS and sells 2 million, there will be a lot of lost revenue. Besides every publisher want their next game to sell more than their previous one. Or else why they are releasing something that will not make as much revenue as their previous game.
Lost revenue can be offset by 1st party subsidies. And it seems pretty obvious that Nintendo sunk a lot of cash into MH previously, I think they'd be willing to again.

Beam said:
What the use if it grew internationally and yet failed to outsell previous installments of the game? Even though Nintendo advertised MH Tri heavily it barely broke the million copy sold barrier.
MH about as big as it can get in Japan, there's no more growth opportunity there. It might be worth it to "only" sell 2m in Japan if they can grow outside Japan, where there's a lot more room for it. Especially during a generational transition, even if the first 3DS MH only sells 2m in Japan, maybe the next grows to 3m or 4m? That on top of growth outside Japan, what if there's the possibility that MH may grow from a 5m series to 10m? That's not going to happen by only considering Japan exclusively.

PSP's not going to be around forever, and it's so dead outside Japan Capcom hasn't bothered releasing anything on the system since mid 2009. It's getting time to think about the future.

donny2112

DQX - Wii-exclusive, but Wii 2 will be out shortly thereafter.
MH3G - PS3/Wii (see recent dual releases from Capcom with their new framework for doing just this).

MH3GP - Who knows. Maybe a tri PSP/NGP/3DS release. PSP for the sales. 3DS for the bigger userbase and seeing if they can tap that market any. NGP for the safe progression.

donny2112 said:
MH3G - PS3/Wii (see recent dual releases from Capcom with their new framework for doing just this).
I think this ship sailed. Tri didn't use MT Framework anyway, it was Wii specific so they'd have to port to PS3 fully from the ground up.

MH3's only "G" release will be handheld, like MH2.

kswiston

lunchwithyuzo said:
Lost revenue can be offset by 1st party subsidies. And it seems pretty obvious that Nintendo sunk a lot of cash into MH previously, I think they'd be willing to again.

1st party subsidies wouldn't offset Monster Hunter dropping from 5M to 2M. That would be a loss of over $100M. Nintendo is not going to pay Capcom anywhere near that much for 3DS exclusivity. IF Capcom is dead set on moving the Monster Hunter series to 3DS exclusively, they should wait at least 2 years to do so. Release 3G on PSP within the next year. Then follow up with MHP4 in late 2012 or early 2013. By then the 3DS userbase might be big enough. If sales pick up.

lunchwithyuzo said:
MH about as big as it can get in Japan, there's no more growth opportunity there. It might be worth it to "only" sell 2m in Japan if they can grow outside Japan, where there's a lot more room for it. Especially during a generational transition, even if the first 3DS MH only sells 2m in Japan, maybe the next grows to 3m or 4m? That on top of growth outside Japan, what if there's the possibility that MH may grow from a 5m series to 10m? That's not going to happen by only considering Japan exclusively.

PSP's not going to be around forever, and it's so dead outside Japan Capcom hasn't bothered releasing anything on the system since mid 2009. It's getting time to think about the future.

Monster Hunter will never sell 5M copies outside of Japan. Unless it is radically reworked into something that is not Monster Hunter. I have played Freedom 2, Freedom Unite, and Tri. All of them are too slow paced, and too complicated to be popular with the average western gamer. Monster Hunter games require a lot of patience and practice.

If you look at the big sellers in the west, they are all games you can pick up and play almost instantly. It takes 5 minutes to figure out how to play Call of Duty or New Super Mario Bros. You have to invest an hour or two into Monster Hunter just to get a grasp on the basics.

If Monster Hunter was going to break out in the west, it would have with Tri. It had a decent push from Nintendo, was released on a console with a gigantic userbase, and had a newly-released pack-in controller. Based on the numbers on Capcom's platinum sellers web page, it looks like the game shipped 600-700k outside Japan. Not bad at all, but nothing amazing.

People mention that Monster Hunter's true appeal is local co-op, but teenagers and adults in the west don't really play handhelds in public. Well over 90% of the adults I see playing games in public are playing them on an iPhone, Android or similar mobile device. If these people own PSPs and DSs (and some of them surely do), they are playing them at home. Online multiplayer is the better option for Monster Hunter in the west and Tri already had that.

Bizzyb said:

but my money is still on a Wii2 release of some sort. Makes no sense to wait so long only to release on a console that has long since faded from relevance.

DQ needs an install base of millions waiting on the day it launches. Moving it to the PSP would be a viable strategy for success, but not a brand new system.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Graphics Horse said:
DQ needs an install base of millions waiting on the day it launches. Moving it to the PSP would be a viable strategy for success, but not a brand new system.
Moving it to PSP means zero sales outside Japan. For a franchise that wants to find success in the west and after DQIX sales it's not a recommended move.

The only viable option for a system switch is DS. But it won't happen so back to square 1.

Mrbob

I think the DQX release is fascinating in one way...I realize the Wii has the largest console install base in Japan but has DQ been released on a platform in the past that currently looks stagnant? Even Wii software isn't really lighting up the charts anymore either. When is DQX coming out?

It won't happen, but I wonder if the heads at Square Enix are now secretly wishing they would have put this game on the PSP instead. Or at least kept it on the DS.

Didn't DQ7 on PS2 look like a PS1 game? They could make a PS2 level looking DQ on PS3 and it would sell. Sure the install base is currently smaller but it looks much more active for buying software.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I honestly don't see how people not buying Wiis now can possibly affect the sales of DQX. There are already over 10 million of them out there right now, and you all know very well that fans will buy the console if a new DQ is released on it.

Everytime someone says something along the lines of "Wii is dead, they'll release it in X platform", it sounds just like port begging. And, well, that's all people seem to be doing in MC threads nowadays, besides claiming that the 3DS is doomed.

kswiston said:
1st party subsidies wouldn't offset Monster Hunter dropping from 5M to 2M. That would be a loss of over $100M. Nintendo is not going to pay Capcom anywhere near that much for 3DS exclusivity. IF Capcom is dead set on moving the Monster Hunter series to 3DS exclusively, they should wait at least 2 years to do so. Release 3G on PSP within the next year. Then follow up with MHP4 in late 2012 or early 2013. By then the 3DS userbase might be big enough. If sales pick up.
1st party subsidy plus growth opportunity in the west. That's something PSP seemingly doesn't offer, at least at this point. Selling less now might be offset by selling more on the platform later too, though even if MHP3G released exclusively on 3DS this year, I think it'd probably sell well more than 2m.

kswiston said:
Monster Hunter will never sell 5M copies outside of Japan. Unless it is radically reworked into something that is not Monster Hunter. I have played Freedom 2, Freedom Unite, and Tri. All of them are too slow paced, and too complicated to be popular with the average western gamer. Monster Hunter games require a lot of patience and practice.

If you look at the big sellers in the west, they are all games you can pick up and play almost instantly. It takes 5 minutes to figure out how to play Call of Duty or New Super Mario Bros. You have to invest an hour or two into Monster Hunter just to get a grasp on the basics.

If Monster Hunter was going to break out in the west, it would have with Tri. It had a decent push from Nintendo, was released on a console with a gigantic userbase, and had a newly-released pack-in controller. Based on the numbers on Capcom's platinum sellers web page, it looks like the game shipped 600-700k outside Japan. Not bad at all, but nothing amazing.

People mention that Monster Hunter's true appeal is local co-op, but teenagers and adults in the west don't really play handhelds in public. Well over 90% of the adults I see playing games in public are playing them on an iPhone, Android or similar mobile device. If these people own PSPs and DSs (and some of them surely do), they are playing them at home. Online multiplayer is the better option for Monster Hunter in the west and Tri already had that.
Never say never. Pokemon and Brain-Age were similarly thought of as unsellable outside Japan at one point. I'd agree for MH to really take hold in the west there need to be some core design changes, but from what I understand P3 already sort of heads in those directions.

I reject that Tri was the absolute ceiling for what's possible with the franchise sales wise though. Despite the Nintendo push, there were clear audience and infrastructure problems on Wii for this type of game. MH could and should do even better with the right platform, and I think 3DS could present a better opportunity than Wii did if things head in the right direction. So could NGP honestly.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Brazil said:
I honestly don't see how people not buying Wiis now can possibly affect the sales of DQX. There are already over 10 million of them out there right now, and you all know very well that fans will buy the console if a new DQ is released on it.

Everytime someone says something along the lines of "Wii is dead, they'll release it in X platform", it sounds just like port begging. And, well, that's all people seem to be doing in MC threads nowadays, besides claiming that the 3DS is doomed.
You're right. In fact, I think it makes the most sense for MH3G be 360 exclusive. There's over 1.5 million of them out there, so you know it'll be a million seller, and then there's even more people who will buy the console to play it!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Sage00 said:
You're right. In fact, I think it makes the most sense for MH3G be 360 exclusive. There's over 1.5 million of them out there, so you know it'll be a million seller, and then there's even more people who will buy the console to play it!
Your post doesn't make any sense and you've missed my point by an entire galaxy.

Try again.

donny2112

Mrbob said:
I wonder if the heads at Square Enix are now secretly wishing they would have put this game on the PSP instead.

Not a chance, if it's staying exclusive to a single platform.

Mrbob said:
Or at least kept it on the DS.

Maybe. However there's a huge fundamental flaw with your point. Square-Enix heads don't have control over where the next DQ games show up.

It'll be on Wii. It'll sell > 2 million first week and 3-3.5m LTD. This will be down from DQIX and people will say that it should've come out on x system or y system instead of a "dead" Wii. *shrugs*

Wii's dead, but hasn't it sold a comparable amount of software this year as PS3 overall? Considering it's barren release schedule and shrinking hardware sales, that's sort of interesting.

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
Not a chance, if it's staying exclusive to a single platform.
Seeing that the PSP is one of the hottest platforms in Japan right now, i think that there is a chance that Square Enix might have hoped now that they chose PSP as the platform for DQX instead :) But it is only hoping though, they will hardly change their plans at this point.

Chris1964 said:
The only viable option for a system switch is DS. But it won't happen so back to square 1.

I think a viable option would be PS3/Wii release. I personally think that would be the best option available unless contracts were already signed. At this point, moving the game to the DS is not viable as that's something Nintendo would definitely not want at all. But as charlequin said, DQ games are not multiplat at launch. Unless SE says so themselves, this game is a Wii exclusive and that's it.

Brazil said:

I agree, but it's really no worse than people trying to reason why MHP3G should go to 3DS instead of PSP. Hell you get a "MH3DS please" in almost every capcom or 3DS thread.

donny2112 said:
Maybe. However there's a huge fundamental flaw with your point. Square-Enix heads don't have control over where the next DQ games show up.

What? Source please.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Kyoufu said:
Its insane how much of a lead the PSP has over everything else. Really insane.

I think PS3 will overtake Wii this year in software sales (thanks to FFXIII-2, Tales etc) but wow, PSP is the go-to platform now for Japan.
The situation with Wii is that Nintendo can create million sellers out of nowhere.

Kyoufu

Chris1964 said:
The situation with Wii is that Nintendo can create million sellers out of nowhere.

Even when they're focusing on Wii 2? Hmm I don't know. E3 will be interesting to see if Nintendo has potential million sellers up it's sleeve for the Wii or if they're just going to ride it out until Wii 2.

Top Bottom