• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2011 (Apr 11 - Apr 17)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Sage00 said:
You're right. In fact, I think it makes the most sense for MH3G be 360 exclusive. There's over 1.5 million of them out there, so you know it'll be a million seller, and then there's even more people who will buy the console to play it!
Poor effort, 3/10.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Kyoufu said:
Even when they're focusing on Wii 2? Hmm I don't know. E3 will be interesting to see if Nintendo has potential million sellers up it's sleeve for the Wii or if they're just going to ride it out until Wii 2.
What I see as sleeping hits this year

Wii Play: Motion
Rhythm Heaven
Just Dance
haha

donny2112

test_account said:
Seeing that the PSP is one of the hottest platforms in Japan right now, i think that there is a chance that Square Enix might have hoped now that they chose PSP as the platform for DQX instead :)

They would switch it back to a handheld and not put it back on the DS where they've spent years cultivating a DQ-ready userbase?

Multi-platform release, PSP is a narrow possibility. Single platform release, PSP wouldn't happen, though.

AranhaHunter said:
What? Source please.

Horii/Armor Project have complete control of the DQ brand. SE does not decide for them where the next game will go.
You're an MC regular. You should already know this ...

Glass Joe

I wondered why they launched the 3DS so early here -- must be because sales were slowing in Japan? Good to see that at least in Japan, 3DS is selling better than the DS. And that it's in first (even if it's not by much). Hopefully things will pick up here and there with Zelda and other games when they arrive.

Is there any big hitters software side coming to the PSP soon beside Type 0? I am just wondering if the PSP can keep its momentum without any significant releases.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Glass Joe said:
I wondered why they launched the 3DS so early here -- must be because sales were slowing in Japan? Good to see that at least in Japan, 3DS is selling better than the DS. And that it's in first (even if it's not by much). Hopefully things will pick up here and there with Zelda and other games when they arrive.
Now, that is a real achievement.
Beam said:
Is there any big hitters software side coming to the PSP soon beside Type 0? I am just wondering if the PSP can keep its momentum without any significant releases.
There is software drought of dated big titles.

kswiston

Did we have a thread made for the Famitsu (or Media create) Top 500 sellers of 2010? I see people referring to 2010 sales updates in this thread, but don't remember seeing anything on the main gaming board. If not, was there a post in one of the Media Create threads breaking down software sales by platform in 2010? I'd be curious to see what the final results were.

Takao

Banned
Beam said:
Do you think the PSP can maintain its momentum without those?

Depends on how Cardboard Senki does (it's out in June). Is it Inazuma Eleven, or more Ni No Kuni? Only time will tell.

donny2112 said:
So 2nd place, ahead of both DS and PS3. Not bad for a dead platform.

AranhaHunter said:
I agree, but it's really no worse than people trying to reason why MHP3G should go to 3DS instead of PSP. Hell you get a "MH3DS please" in almost every capcom or 3DS thread.
Sure it is, DQX has actually been announced. For Wii.

MHP3G doesn't exist at this point, on any platform.

Takao said:
Depends on how Cardboard Senki does (it's out in June). Is it Inazuma Eleven, or more Ni No Kuni? Only time will tell.
Ninokuni sold more than IE1.

Grimmy

Banned
Beam said:

MonHun Nikki Poka Poka Ailu Mura G

(sorry - edited)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
kswiston said:
Did we have a thread made for the Famitsu (or Media create) Top 500 sellers of 2010? I see people referring to 2010 sales updates in this thread, but don't remember seeing anything on the main gaming board. If not, was there a post in one of the Media Create threads breaking down software sales by platform in 2010? I'd be curious to see what the final results were.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27258859&postcount=236
Beam said:
Do you think the PSP can maintain its momentum without those?
PSP shouldn't have any particular problem. If PSP goes down a bit it's not a problem, if 3DS doesn't go up it is.

mello

Takao said:

The Little Battlers is actually coming out next month.

Kyoufu

lunchwithyuzo said:
MHP3G doesn't exist at this point, on any platform.

Capcom offices, on PSP.

Why would you think otherwise?

I agree though, begging for MonHun on 3DS isn't exactly the same as port begging for DQX on <insert preferred system>. Its stupid and I wish it'd stop.

donny2112 said:
Horii/Armor Project have complete control of the DQ brand. SE does not decide for them where the next game will go.
You're an MC regular. You should already know this ...

Yeah, but the DQ IP owner is one of those things that's not 100% clear to me. I hear and see plenty of different and conflicting things, but my understanding is that SE does own some copyright on it and as such they do have a say on where it goes or doesn't go. Of course, the other entities you mentioned also own it as well and also have a say on where it goes.

I say that because when I look at different DQ websites I see:

© 2005 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. © 2004, 2005 ARMOR PROJECT/BIRD STUDIO/LEVEL-5/SQUARE ENIX. All Rights Reserved. © KOICHI SUGIYAMA.

© 2006, 2007 ARMOR PROJECT/BIRD STUDIO/SQUARE ENIX All Rights Reserved.

© 2007, 2008 ARMOR PROJECT/BIRD STUDIO/ARTEPIAZZA/SQUARE ENIX All Rights Reserved.

© 2009, 2010 ARMOR PROJECT/BIRD STUDIO/LEVEL-5/SQUARE ENIX All Rights Reserved. © KOICHI SUGIYAMA
DRAGON QUEST, SQUARE ENIX and the SQUARE ENIX logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of Square Enix Holdings Co., Ltd.

Which suggests to me co-ownership of the IP.

Sorry to derail the thread.

S-E co-owning the IP doesn't mean that they have (or are willing to exert) the degree of control that would be necessary to dictate platform selection. It's the same kind of dubious logic that led some to insist that Disney would force Square to put Kingdom Hearts III on Wii, simply by virtue of its IP ownership. It all depends on the actual details of S-E's arrangement with Horii.

Father_Brain said:
S-E co-owning the IP doesn't mean that they have (or are willing to exert) the degree of control that would be necessary to dictate platform selection. It's the same kind of dubious logic that led some to insist that Disney would force Square to put Kingdom Hearts III on Wii, simply by virtue of its IP ownership. It all depends on the actual details of S-E's arrangement with Horii.

But do you know or have evidence on that?

EDIT: I think it's fair to say that SE has a say on where it can and cannot go due to it having some type of ownership on the IP, it's also fair to say that Disney could put KH3 on Wii if they wanted to but it would be a dumb move to do so without SE consent. I just don't know if donny, or anyone else, has evidence to say that SE has no say on where DQ can or cannot go.

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
They would switch it back to a handheld and not put it back on the DS where they've spent years cultivating a DQ-ready userbase?

Multi-platform release, PSP is a narrow possibility. Single platform release, PSP wouldn't happen, though.
I dont think that it will happened, i just mean that it might be a possibility that Square Enix hoped at this time that they chose the PSP (or the DS) as platform instead :) I think this is what Mrbob ment, just that they hoped/wished for it. Doesnt change anything, kinda like hoping that you would bet on the other football team if you lost a bet if you know what i mean (i'm not comparing Wii to being the losing team here though).

Mrbob

Yes to the above. :D I didn't mean to intend saying it would happen. If you are going to release one of the largest gaming properties in the Japan market wouldn't you want it for the hottest platform? That would be the PSP.

donny2112 said:
Maybe. However there's a huge fundamental flaw with your point. Square-Enix heads don't have control over where the next DQ games show up.

It'll be on Wii. It'll sell > 2 million first week and 3-3.5m LTD. This will be down from DQIX and people will say that it should've come out on x system or y system instead of a "dead" Wii. *shrugs*

Interesting. Who makes the call on where DQ shows up?

Dual platform release may not be a bad idea. It worked for Capcom with MH3. Sell a bunch on Wii and sell even more on PSP.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Mrbob said:
Yes to the above. :D I didn't mean to intend saying it would happen. If you are going to release game right now in the Japan market wouldn't you want it for the hottest platform? That would be the PSP.

Dual platform release may not be a bad idea. It worked for Capcom with MH3. Sell a bunch on Wii and sell even more on PSP.
No, DS would be a better place than PSP in Japan now.

MH always goes from console to portable until now.

Datschge

The leeway Horii has is how Enix used to handle their partnerships with developers until they bought Square and let Wada control the resulting company.

jakncoke

Banned
AranhaHunter comment got me to thinking, it's amusing to me how much time fanboys spent arguing across the net earlier in this gen and prolly still do in some places. About where KH3 would land exclusively..ect and it seems entirely possible maybe even a slight guarantee that a KH3 won't even be coming this generation

donny2112

AranhaHunter said:
I just don't know if donny, or anyone else, has evidence to say that SE has no say on where DQ can or cannot go.

My evidence is relying on people much more in the know about such things than me. (e.g. Segata Sanshiro, Dragona, Aeana). Here's a recent post by Aeana saying that basically, anything Horii touches, he controls, but the actual IP is owned by Square-Enix. From that, you could take that SE could scrap the DQX currently in production and farm it out to a new developer to create from scratch for another system, hurting their relationship with Horii, and their cash-cow, in the process. Or they could let Horii decide where it goes.

There's got to be some give-and-take between them, but SE couldn't reasonably just "tell" Horii "No, scrap the Wii title and make it for console x."

Edit:
So Horii, doesn't have complete control of the DQ brand, but he would have pretty much complete control of where the games he's making ends up. To this point, Enix has probably been fine with that arrangement. If he ever started really tanking in sales, though, they could risk dropping him from it apparently.

donny2112 said:
My evidence is relying on people much more in the know about such things than me. (e.g. Segata Sanshiro, Dragona, Aeana). Here's a recent post by Aeana saying that basically, anything Horii touches, he controls, but the actual IP is owned by Square-Enix. From that, you could take that SE could scrap the DQX currently in production and farm it out to a new developer to create from scratch for another system, hurting their relationship with Horii, and their cash-cow, in the process. Or they could let Horii decide where it goes.

There's got to be some give-and-take between them, but SE couldn't reasonably just "tell" Horii "No, scrap the Wii title and make it for console x."

Edit:
So Horii, doesn't have complete control of the DQ brand, but he would have pretty much complete control of where the games he's making ends up. To this point, Enix has probably been fine with that arrangement. If he ever started really tanking in sales, though, they could risk dropping him from it apparently.

This I can agree with, it's just that you said that SE has no control over where the next DQ games go that threw me off.

Kyoufu

A lot of Japanese honour would be decimated if Horii was to go from publicly announcing DQX for Wii in front of Iwata to releasing it on a different platform.

Sales won't tank on Wii anyway. Remember the times when FFXIII -> Wii was being discussed because PS3 was "dead" in Japan?

test_account

XP-39C²
Kyoufu said:
A lot of Japanese honour would be decimated if Horii was to go from publicly announcing DQX for Wii in front of Iwata to releasing it on a different platform.

Sales won't tank on Wii anyway. Remember the times when FFXIII -> Wii was being discussed because PS3 was "dead" in Japan?
It did lead to FFXIII being a multiplatform title though :) But i dont think that DQX will be on any other platform than Wii, also because i belive the game is being built around motion controls.

donny2112

test_account said:
also because i belive the game is being built around motion controls.

I hope not. Hopefully, you'll be able to play the game NES controller style with maybe a few shakes for bonus damage or something.

Sagitario

Bebpo said:
Or people bought the p1 port out of persona hype, realized it was a shoddy port of an old game and passed on making the same mistake again.

Is P1 PSP that bad? I just ripped it yesterday to play on my Go :(

AniHawk

test_account said:
It did lead to FFXIII being a multiplatform title though :) But i dont think that DQX will be on any other platform than Wii, also because i belive the game is being built around motion controls.
you move around the world map by pressing a and b and pushing or pulling the controller to or from the tv.

justchris

AniHawk said:
you move around the world map by pressing a and b and pushing or pulling the controller to or from the tv.

Most of the time I can tell when you're serious, but this is a mystery to me.

AranhaHunter said:
What? Source please.

Horii picks where Dragon Quest goes and develops each entry with basically no interference from Square-Enix, it's been that way for ages. It's not DQ without him in charge, everyone knows it, and there's no incentive whatsoever for SE to mess with a winning formula.

donny2112 said:

As duckroll has helpfully corrected in the past, the DQ trademark and the trappings of the series as a whole belong to Square-Enix, but each individual game's scenario belongs to Armor Project and obviously a new "main" DQ needs Horii, Toriyama, and Sugiyama on board. Take away control from Horii, all three walk and you don't have a new DQ game at all.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
21. / 15. [PS3] Crysis 2 (Electronic Arts) {2011.04.01}
22. / 17. [WII] Donkey Kong Country Returns (Nintendo) {2010.12.09}
23. / 18. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) {2008.04.10}
24. / 07. [NDS] Kimi ni Todoke: Communicate Feelings (Bandai Namco) {2011.04.07}
25. / 28. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2011 (Konami) {2010.10.28}
26. / 26. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) {2009.12.03}
27. / 30. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (w/ Remote Plus) (Nintendo) {2010.11.11}
28. / 19. [PSP] SD Gundam G Generation: World (Bandai Namco) {2011.02.24}
29. / 33. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) {2009.10.01}
30. / 00. [360] Cross Channel: In Memory of All People (CyberFront) {2011.04.14}
31. / 32. [NDS] Magician's Quest: The Merchant’s Store of Sorcery (Konami) {2010.11.11}
32. / 23. [PS3] Way of the Samurai 4 (Spike) {2011.03.03}
33. / 35. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) {2006.05.25}
34. / 27. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2011 (Konami) {2010.11.18}
35. / 31. [NDS] Digimon Story: Super Xros Wars - Blue / Red (Bandai Namco) {2011.03.03}
36. / 34. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 3: World Challenge!! The Ogre (Level 5) {2010.12.16}
37. / 41. [PS3] Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition [PlayStation 3 the Best] (Capcom) {2010.11.11}
38. / 22. [PSP] Fairy Tail: Portable Guild 2 (Konami) {2011.03.10}
39. / 14. [PSP] BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II (Arc System Works) {2011.03.31}
40. / 24. [3DS] Pro Baseball Famista 2011 (Bandai Namco) {2011.03.31}
41. / 45. [WII] Momotaro Railway 2010: Sengoku Ishin no Hero Daishuugou! no Maki [Everyone's Recommendation Selection] (Hudson) {2011.01.20}
42. / 20. [PS2] Amagami (EBKore+) (Kadokawa Shoten) {2011.03.31}
43. / 00. [PS3] WRC: FIA World Rally Championship (CyberFront) {2011.04.14}
44. / 47. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops (Dubbed Edition) (Square Enix) {2010.12.16}
45. / 38. [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii 3 (Bandai Namco) {2010.12.02}
46. / 44. [3DS] Samurai Warriors: Chronicles (Koei Tecmo) {2011.02.26}
47. / 16. [PSP] Are You Alice? (Idea Factory) {2011.04.07}
48. / 42. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo) {2009.06.18}
49. / 48. [NDS] Taiko Drum Master DS: Dororon! Battle With the Ghouls!! (Bandai Namco) {2010.07.01}
50. / 40. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo) {2008.01.31}

PSP - 14
NDS - 9
WII - 9
PS3 - 9
3DS - 6
360 - 2
PS2 - 1

SOFTWARE
Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------            
|System | This Week | Last Week | Last Year |        YTD |   Last YTD |            
|  ALL  | 1.085.000 |   626.000 |   584.454 | 14.403.000 | 17.131.598 |       
Media Create talks for PSP shortage last week and big lost opportunity from Sony.

Beam said:

Well SRWZ2 just released and that's a reasonably sized title.

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
I hope not. Hopefully, you'll be able to play the game NES controller style with maybe a few shakes for bonus damage or something.
I am under the impression that DQ9 was build around the DS' features, so i think maybe it will be something like that with DQX and Wii as well. But alternate control schemes is possible of course. Motion controls is in a way some type of button emulation, so i guess that it shouldnt be too hard to make different control schemes possible =)

AniHawk said:
Hehe, hopefully the motion controls wont be used like this =) Sounds a bit tiresome to play like this, at least for a longer period of time.

test_account said:
It did lead to FFXIII being a multiplatform title though :)
Only outside Japan though, Sony still held on to a year of exclusivity at home.

If Wii were sub-10 million now and DQX had been announced for it before the console had hit shelves even, I think another release would've been pretty likely too. But the way things actually turned out are pretty substantially different from what FFXIII faced.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
lunchwithyuzo said:

If Wii were sub-10 million now and DQX had been announced for it before the console had hit shelves even, I think another release would've been pretty likely too. But the way things actually turned out are pretty substantially different from what FFXIII faced.

But Dragon Quest wouldn't have been announced for a console that hadn't hit shelves.

Kyoufu

Spiegel said:
Always count on Sony fucking things up

Can't believe they had shortages on a good software week. How they fucked that one up I don't know :/

Is there a site with release dates on it for Japan?

test_account

XP-39C²
lunchwithyuzo said:

True, but Xbox 360 was doing much worse in Japan compared to PS3, so there probably wouldnt be too much to gain by doing a Xbox 360 version in Japan as well, at launch.

But compared to DQX, it is not an identical situation, that is true. Even if PS3 is the most popilar home console in Japan right now, there are still a lot of Wii consoles out there, so i dont think that Square Enix has too much to fear regarding the DQX sales.

donny2112

test_account said:
I am under the impression that DQ9 was build around the DS' features,

Thankfully, no. Buttons all the way. I think you could've used the touch screen for some stuff, but it wasn't necessary. Hoping that DQX will be something similar.

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
Thankfully, no. Buttons all the way. I think you could've used the touch screen for some stuff, but it wasn't necessary. Hoping that DQX will be something similar.
I see. I had no idea why i was under that impression, i mean i saw it somewhere, but maybe i mixed it up with another game for some reason. Thanks for the info :)

Beam said:
Well if MH3G released exclusively on the 3DS, it needs to outsell MH3rd (4 million + copies) or Copcom and its investors will be really pissed.
I don't think Monster Hunter 3DS, WiiHD or NGP could pull a four million seller in the series. Not until until 2015, hell I'm not even sure if it's possible to sell another 4 million copies of a new Monster Hunter PSP.

It's not like 4m is the benchmark. Investors sure are in for a disappointment.

PS: Copcom? Is that like Politewings or something? xD

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Sammy Samusu said:
I don't think Monster Hunter 3DS, WiiHD or NGP could pull a four million seller in the series. Not until until 2015, hell I'm not even sure if it's possible to sell another 4 million copies of a new Monster Hunter PSP.

It's not like 4m is the benchmark. Investors sure are in for a disappointment.

PS: Copcom? Is that like Politewings or something? xD
It is the benchmark for as long as PSP is still a viable platform the game could be released on.

Kyoufu said:
How is PS3 not under 10k too?
Third parties?
Professional Baseball Spirits 2011 (PS3) 86,486
Homefront (PS3) 22,111
Dinasty Warriors 6 (PS3) 10,369

Wii Party (Wii) 6,950
Kyoufu said:
When is the next PS3 game to light up the charts in Japan? Versus XIII is nowhere in sight. Don't even know if Armored Core V will sell much.
Yakuza of the End, FF XIII-2,PES,Tales of Xillia,Ni no Kuni,Dark Souls,RE: Operation Raccon City,MGS Rising,FF Versus XIII or Dragon's Dogma come to mind.Now,imagine the PS3 starting at ¥24,980 or the PSThree starting at ¥19,980…

Sammy Samusu said:
-3DS,Wii HD,NGP? Third-party publishers and developers are putting their money into the'PS3 ecosystem' (lol)

- PS3 sales will obliterate 3DS/Wii HD third party software sales,and the Next Generation Portable is an extension of the PS3

Professional Baseball Spirits 2011 (3DS) 11,644
-Of course,PS3's software sales are growing

Professional Baseball Spirits 2010 (PS3) 57,136

iidesuyo said:
SE would be stupid to release DQX exclusively for Wii. But maybe they get paid by Nintendo like Capcom with Monster Hunter, otherwise it would make no sense.

The Wii market in Japan is dead, to achieve 4+ million sales is impossible.
Wii owners deserve DQ X,there is no question about it.Nonetheless,everybody in Japan knows that the Wii-to-PS3 port would outsell the original by 3:1 or something (if both versions are released on the same day).On top of that,publishers abandoned the Wii in 2009 (Monster Hunter Tri,Tales of Graces,Samurai Warriors),therefore DQX exclusively for Wii in 2012 is absurd,particularly when last gen handhelds are slowly dying and publishers and developers are betting their future on the PS3 (Tales of Xillia,Ni no Kuni ,FF Versus XIII, MGS Rising, Dragon's Dogma …).Obviously,DQ X for PS3 would help the industry immensely;all involved parties need to put their egos aside and make a deal.
test_account said:
Even if PS3 is the most popular home console in Japan right now, there are still a lot of Wii consoles out there, so i dont think that Square Enix has too much to fear regarding the DQX sales.
Wii Play,Wii Sports and Wii Fit created the Wii Market.On the other hand,Final Fantasy,Metal Gear,Resident Evil,Yakuza created the 'PS3 ecosystem' (lol)

Look at this:

Media Create Sofware Sales 2010
3rd party

(PSP) 14,538,066 - 118 Gm
(NDS) 11,529,973 - 131 Gm
(PS3) 8,105,405 - 86 Gm
(WII) 2,161,672 - 40 Gm

(360) 864,105 - 28 Gm
(PS2) 454,383 - 14 Gm
Of course,DQ X will sell well in Japan regardless of which platform you put it on,but Wii Fit should never dictate what's best for Dragon Quest.

Segregating by 3rd paty titles alone makes no sense when looking at sales potential for a game like Dragon Quest. You have to look at high end sales, overall, and in that area Wii's more than proven itself with several multimillion sellers, while PS3 can't seem to manage even one. DQ's sales potential is undoubtedly higher on Wii in Japan, and that's in addition to whatever sweetheart deal Nintendo struck for the western release. Horii made the right call.

Top Bottom