• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 28, 2013 (Jul 08 - Jul 14)

Nintendo is in full delusional mode. A severe price cut is the only thing that will get this system any life. 3DS style price cut.

I say throw out the gamepad and make it a peripheral so manufacturing costs don't kill the margins. Require that devs to only support off TV play for the gamepad and that's it.

$250 w / NSMBU + WiiU Pro Controller

None of the big games they have coming out require the gamepad, at all. 3D world, DK Tropical Freeze, Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, Wind Waker HD, and I dare say even Wonderful 101 would totally work and still be good games.

Yet despite this fact, some people keep saying the Wii U would be worthless without the gamepad.

It's time to see reality. The system is actually worthless with the gamepad. It's time to toss that thing out and sell it separately. All Nintendo needs to do is a small tweak to the OS to allow full control with the pro pad.

Unless you're a rabid fanboy you should want all consoles to sell well, it's good for the industry as a whole and generates more money for what matters most... new games.

Unless you're a rabid fanboy, you should want failed consoles to end quickly.

I don't understand why people want Nintendo to turn Wii U into some zombie system where each and everyone one of their titles will be sub milion sellers in Japan.

It's not healthy for the industry.

-Eddman-

If Pikmin only achieved 90k fully backed by Nintendo with marketing and exposure, those joke comments about Wonderful 101 selling 101 copies might not be that far from reality. And that's terribly sad, damn, poor Platinum.

LordT it flopped?

Didn't even outsell all the major vita games at their launch. Even TOUKIDEN and SS new IPs. Mess

Yeah I don't think anything will save it except a price cut.

Also DEATH @ Level -5 game debuting so high. Praying for them it's not crap whoever bought it
Lets not act like Pikmin was some sort of big seller. Its a niche franchise that has only had 2 entries 9 years ago. I think people were expecting a bit much from Pikmin.

All that Nintendo can hope for at the moment is that a more steady release schedule will keep the baseline close to 10k until it ramps up during the holidays with Mario and DK.

wrowa

I don't understand why people want Nintendo to turn Wii U into some zombie system where each and everyone one of their titles will be sub milion sellers in Japan.

You just made the PS3 a zombie system. :(

Yet despite this fact, some people keep saying the Wii U would be worthless without the gamepad.

It's time to see reality. The system is actually worthless with the gamepad. It's time to toss that thing out and sell it separately. All Nintendo needs to do is a small tweak to the OS to allow full control with the pro pad.

The OS is basically designed around the Gamepad. Removing it would, ironically, be what makes it worthless.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I don't think your assessment is off at all with regards to Pikmin 3, it's more the fact that you turn up (along with 9 or 10 others) and seem to celebrate in every little bit of bad news the system gets.

Does it bring you joy to see a console fail ?, I wasn't around on GAF when the Vita arrived and quickly bombed but I do think that this feels like 'payback' for a lot of you who bought a Vita and were 'hurt' when sales numbers arrived, which is truly laughable if true.

Unless you're a rabid fanboy you should want all consoles to sell well, it's good for the industry as a whole and generates more money for what matters most... new games.

Sometimes reading GAF it feels more like a sports forum where people pick a favorite 'team' and then celebrate when one of their rivals falters.

Nintendo's been playing it cheap and with a terrible focus in the wrong areas of hardware for at least a couple gens now, so yeah, honestly, seems good that they're getting a bloodied nose. Same thing with Sony's post-PS2 arrogance, same again for Microsoft's insane always-online hubris.

From a selfish point of view, when this all forces Nintendo to go handheld/hybrid only, that means just one device to buy as a Nintendo/Japanese niche title box rather than the spread of two. Also that the WiiU being forced faster and faster to a price drop means I'll be able to pickup a super bargain around Bayonetta 2's release.

It also doesn't help that the level of delusion in the opposite direction just brings out the "time to argue on the internet" spirit a little more extremely because its pretty baffling to read people calling 20k "okay" and "pretty good" in this here topic as if the WiiU exists in some vacuum where we weren't all laughing/crying about Vita's death rattles last year.

Oh and sometimes you just gotta BRING DA HEAT.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
expected and not disappointed at all by these two days sales. Pikmin's never been a multiple million seller so yeah, expected

Wynnebeck

Banned
Sad but honestly expected. I remember saying in a thread last month that Pikmin 3 wasn't going to sell systems and it really didn't. What's the next big Wii U game? Wonderful 101?

RM8

If there's chance for WiiU to become a N64 / GCN like system, it'd be incredibly silly to kill the system now even before its biggest games are released. It won't make a huge comeback, but it can become a modest, small success instead of a total disaster.

You never touched that gamepad, did you? This gamepad is a win-win in comparison to a traditional pad. Same functionalities with the screen that allows for much better experiences.

This gamepad allows for things completely impossible on a traditional pad, and sacrifices nothing in comparison to them, so no, this gamepad is something good.

What this console needs is more games, and they are coming at a decent pace of at leas 1 notable exclusive per month.

BlackJace

Funny coming from someone who chanted "Japan is slowly embracing Wii U as its main console!" week after week.

Anth0ny

Yup. Drop that shit and sell it at $250 with a profit.

Gamepad is as appealing as a rumble pak or transfer pak. So include it select games that are enhanced by it. Not worth the price it tacks onto the console, and sure as fuck not worth losing money on every console sold.

Just look at this post. EAD has NO fucking ideas for this thing. Why is this controller the driving force behind the console again? What were they thinking?

So what do you suppose Nintendo do? Immediately abandoned the Wii U losing the customer faith of those who have bought it? Rush out a more "next-gen" system, guaranteed to have a worst launch? Or, move development of their current titles to even more powerful hardware and have twice the amount of trouble developing as they currently already are?

Into

I can't help but feel banking on the tablet screen was not a good idea when almost everyone has a touch device already.

Nothing so far has justified the GamePad despite how neat it is to lay in your bed and play NSMB U or Black Ops 2, the closest they have got for me personally is the Luigi Mansion minigame in Nintendoland. Meanwhile the Wiimote was justified day 1, as Wii Sports became the hottest videogame perhaps since the original Super Mario Bros. on the NES. Nothing coming out looks to be making much use of it either.

In 2006, if you wanted to go with motion gaming (and people certainly did want just that) then the Wii was your only option, the only thing that reminded of it was the PS2 Eye Toy, which did not work aswell as the Wii did nor was able to achieve what the Wii was going for

In 2012-2013 you cannot walk into a electronic boutique without tripping over a dozen or so devices that have similar touch capabilities, and even better than the Wii U. It is actually difficult to find someone today in the civilized world without a smart phone, unless they are like 70 years old. If you want to play games in your bed, you can do so on a dozen or so devices today, its not a hook to sell your system on. In 2006, there was nothing like the Wii.

Its like they made the hardware first, and are now stuck with coming up with ideas how to use it. Whereas the idea of using the motion of your arms naturally opened up for new games, one look at the Wiimote and you could easily imagine tons of games that could use it.

Kyon

Banned
Lets not act like Pikmin was some sort of big seller. Its a niche franchise that has only had 2 entries 9 years ago. I think people were expecting a bit much from Pikmin.

All that Nintendo can hope for at the moment is that a more steady release schedule will keep the baseline close to 10k until it ramps up during the holidays with Mario and DK.

It still topped the chart tho.

New IPs with 0 established fanbases like SS and Toukiden debuted way higher, and even Muramasa did better.

Funny coming from someone who chanted "Japan is slowly embracing Wii U as its main console!" week after week.

Yep, Wii U had a really great launch in Japan. The numbers don't lie. I thught games like DQX and MH3UHD would help keep the momentum but it obviously slowed to a crawl with the constant delays, game cancellations, and Nintendo showing a pretty weak strategy to revive the system.

Releasing Mario Kart 8, SBM3DW and Smash 4 on Wii U will only hurt the franchises. Wii U is that toxic without being rebranded.

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
Atelier Escha & Logy didn't really end up selling as much as I'd expect.

I'm also curious to see if Youkai Watch has any legs. I'm not too happy with 53k, I suppose!

miksar

It is one thing to root for Sony, who care about their consumers and quality of their titles, who are willing to innovate and take risks. But Nintendo, with their anti-consumer practices, pointless gimmicks and franchise whoring, deserve no better. When it is over for them, most Western developers will likely say "good riddance". Nintendo almost killed the industry once in the 90s with their reluctance to restructure lead to cartridges and high licensing fees, how fortunate that Sony came up with PS1 and saved the day, pushing video games to film-like quality for the first time.

You never touched that gamepad, did you? This gamepad is a win-win in comparison to a traditional pad. Same functionalities with the screen that allows for much better experiences.

This gamepad allows for things completely impossible on a traditional pad, and sacrifices nothing in comparison to them, so no, this gamepad is something good.

What this console needs is more games, and they are coming at a decent pace of at leas 1 notable exclusive per month.

images

Yup, this is revolutionizing gaming.

It wouldn't be impossible, but would basically be a middle finger to anyone who enjoys using the Gamepad.

Almost every game already is playable without the gamepad. Is that a middle finger too? The people who like the gamepad can still get it and use it to their heart's content.

Dude, I have a Wii U I use it like everyday for the challenge App, the OS/most of the Apps are designed with two screens in mind.

Yes, and with a simple update that can be fixed. The menu is just like any other console menu. Scroll left/right/up/down and hit "A".

BuzzJive

All charts launch-aligned. All data from Famitsu.
Weekly numbers presented in logarithmic base 1,000 for clarity. In that case, zero units are represented by one unit.

ziQBmh2.png

Take THAT launch aligned PS3! Not this week.

The doom and gloom for the effects of Pikmin 3, a title that was unanimously declared not a system seller, makes for good reading.

And to whomever said making Pikmin 3 was a mistake - you sir are a bad person.

Dude, I have a Wii U I use it like everyday for the challenge App, the OS/most of the Apps are designed with two screens in mind.

You're kidding right? One screen is totally worthless- the Miiverse screen with all the Miis huddled around the different apps. It serves no purpose at all. I don't think I've ever switched screens save for the first day I played with the system. Nintendo totally fucked up the potential of the tablet. ZombiU and Nintendoland used it best. Now we're seeing all of the future games featuring no inventive functionality with the second screen. It's really sad.

Sad but honestly expected. I remember saying in a thread last month that Pikmin 3 wasn't going to sell systems and it really didn't. What's the next big Wii U game? Wonderful 101?

Yep - and apart from 2 titles nothing that seems to be able to reach >20k sales first week

Japan

07/18
Sniper Elite V2

07/25
LEGO City Undercover

08/08
Ryu ga Gotoku 1&2 HD for Wii U

08/24
The Wonderful 101

09/05
Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Low-Price Reprint)
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist

09/19
Skylanders: Spyro no Daiboken

09/26
Disney Epic Mickey 2: Futatsu no Ryoku
San Goku Shi 12 with Power-Up Kit
Zelda no Densetsu: Kaze no Takuto

11/28
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So much bitterness in this post, I don't get why? Verendus is just pointing out that Nintendo got themselves into a fine mess and so far haven't got a clue how to get out of it. Something most people can see also...

Not bitter at all and if you look at my posts in this thread since January I have been sounding the alarm repeatedly.

SmokyDave

You already have two consoles that are the exact same. Why do you need a third?

They aren't exactly the same. Services differ, apps differ, controllers differ, libraries differ. As I see it, I have two consoles that are shit hot, and one that lags behind in every possible area.

A more pressing question should be, I already have two excellent consoles, why would I buy a mediocre console?

You're kidding right? One screen is totally worthless- the Miiverse screen with all the Miis huddled around the different apps. It serves no purpose at all. I don't think I've ever switched screens save for the first day I played with the system. Nintendo totally fucked up the potential of the tablet. ZombiU and Nintendoland used it best. Now we're seeing all of the future games featuring no inventive functionality with the second screen. It's really sad.

Aren't most games featuring Off-Tv play? A feature that is part of the Gamepad? It may not be particularly inventive but it's a feature nonetheless.

Nibel

A more pressing question should be, I already have two excellent consoles, why would I buy a mediocre console?

Because you're a techie :lol

The exact same reason why you'll get the next Nintendo devices as well and there is nothing wrong about that

jaz013

Banned
Take THAT launch aligned PS3! Not this week.

The doom and gloom for the effects of Pikmin 3, a title that was unanimously declared not a system seller, makes for good reading.

And to whomever said making Pikmin 3 was a mistake - you sir are a bad person.

Every single Pikmin threat in thee previous weeks: "But Pikmin never sold, is no a system seller, don't get your hopes up!". Pikimin first two day sales threat: "NINTENDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED".

It's not funny, is annoying, specially since the gloom comes from people who wants a third dude-bro console with the exact same games and the exact same garbage. And the cherry on top? What I would call the "Bayonetta 2 effect": no having a game is better than playing a game on a console I'm too rabid to see fail, because of <<reasons>>.

I would just expect from Nintendo to implements the damn account system so the people who keeps losing even their keys in their own house have a thing less to complain.

images

Yup, this is revolutionizing gaming.
Asymmetric gameplays of course will revolutionize gamming, or at least evolve it.
The fact that not every game uses this feature doesn't mean it isn't important. It's much more than what you will ever be able to do with a dual shock 4 so... yes, evolution.

So what do you suppose Nintendo do? Immediately abandoned the Wii U losing the customer faith of those who have bought it? Rush out a more "next-gen" system, guaranteed to have a worst launch? Or, move development of their current titles to even more powerful hardware and have twice the amount of trouble developing as they currently already are?

Consider the low number of titles being developed for Wii u (nearly all of them only coming from Nintendo) cancelling the system will have just about as much impact on consumer confidence as supporting the system will.

I recommend Nintendo shifts their focus from trying to revive the Wii U and focus all their extra manpower they gain into establishing the cross hardware platform/system architecture they want to establish. This needs to be their number concern.

Have their hardware team accelerate the development of the next handheld and console and release them simultaneous in early 2015. Each system should have their own USP (they can't be too similar or one hardware becomes redundent like the Wii U) but they must integrate seemlessly with each as one unified platform. Also, each system must launch with a fresh take on either Zelda or Mario that showcases the USP.

In the meantime, Nintendo continues to support the 3DS, and everyone who bought a Wii U will get free games and a special edition Nintendo next gen system with the price of the Wii U discounted from the retail price.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Asymmetric gameplays of course will revolutionize gamming, or at least evolve it.
The fact that not every game uses this feature doesn't mean it isn't important. It's much more than what you will ever be able to do with a dual shock 4 so... yes, evolution.

LOL Why are you bringing DS4 into this? Deflecting much?

Top Bottom