• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 31, 2011 (Aug 01 - Aug 07)

3DS crashed as expected. Next week will be fun.

I'm sad for Half-Minute Hero Second - less than half the sales of its predecessor. Hopefully it still does well enough for Marvelous to make a profit.

Cygnus X-1

What surprises me the most is that everyone seem to know that 3DS will get a massive price cut. Word of mouth or decent ads?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Cygnus X-1 said:
What surprises me the most is that everyone seem to know that 3DS will get a massive price cut. Word of mouth or decent ads?
Price drop news are everywhere. Newspapers, TV, internet, stores. Even if you don't care, you know it.

3DS explosion imminent. Next week's numbers will be crazy.
Really disappointed in HMH2's numbers.
Can't wait to see the Kotaku headline regarding PS2 outselling 360.

wrowa

3DS dropped even harder than I would have imagined :eek:

I'm crossing my fingers that the 3DS will see a big boost next week. Nintendo deserves some good news after all the doom and gloom talk of the last weeks. ;(

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Half Minute Hero 2 - :(

So only 4500 people felt the 20 free roms was worth the extra price eh?
Do they do price protection?

vareon

Oooh, the Kamen Rider game charted. It looked actually fun so it deserved the sales, I think.

And yeah, 3DS. Next week is going to be interesting.

RurouniZel said:
Epic Mickey Epic Bomba.
Is it really though? It was developed by a western developer and is already localized pretty late. On top of that if I recall correctly Japan really dislikes N64 style 3D platformer not named Mario 64. Not too mention I'm sure bad word of mouth that it got over here has also spread over there as well.

This should be the 3rd or 4th week this year that PS2 overwhelm x360, am I right?

I'm so ashamed I sold mine 2 years ago ç_ç

Hypereides

Gold Member
Sennorin said:
Excuse the bitching, but: What could one have misunderstood here? You honestly thought 3DS would sell 4k that soon in its life? :/

Ive only been following the progress of the 3DS loosely since launch so I wasnt very aware of what was going on.

I dont really participate in sales-age threads either.

test_account

XP-39C²
KingDizzi said:
Next week sales age begins to get fun once again, in fact we should be getting reports tomorrow?
Probably, but it will only be anecdotal. But maybe we will get something more official on friday or monday :)

RPGamer92

Banned
3DS bomba confirmed
jk
Seriously though, how popular is the Mickey Mouse brand in Japan? Is it strong enough to give EM some legs?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Can someone confirm if there are 0 Gos sold or if it's just a case of them no longer being tracked/reported separately?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
test_account said:
4gamer.net has PSP Go at 0 at least:

http://www.4gamer.net/games/117/G011794/20110810045

Unless that 4gamer put 0 at PSP Go manually though.

V0H1k.jpg

Someone needs a new version for 2011!

mclem

Mpl90 said:
Rhythm Heaven will be a milion seller.
It's a certainty now, seeing the incredibly low drop from last week... and this week will rise thanks to Obon.

I'm not sure it'll quite make it to a million, but there's no escaping that it's the biggest success for the Wii since... DKCR? Or is it tracking better than that?

I can see Rhythm Heaven legging it to a million. Probably one of the last Wii million sellers along with Dagon Quest X, Mario Party 9 and maybe DQ Collection.

BurntPork

Banned
pramath said:
Next week will be a shitstorm.
I'm going to be conservative here, and predict ~42,000 units sold for the 3DS.
If that's all that it sells, then... well let's just say it'll be PS2 vs. 360 vs. 3DS this time next year. It'll sell more than double that, and that's still pretty conservative. Between the last two weeks alone we probably have something like 40k who would have bought it if not for the price drop. It's impossible for it to sell less than 70K, imo.

lunchwithyuzo said:
I can see Rhythm Heaven legging it to a million. Probably one of the last Wii million sellers along with Dagon Quest X, Mario Party 9 and maybe DQ Collection.

DQ Collection hitting a million would surprise the hell out of me.

BurntPork said:
If that's all that it sells, then... well let's just say it'll be PS2 vs. 360 vs. 3DS this time next year. It'll sell more than double that, and that's still pretty conservative. Between the last two weeks alone we probably have something like 40k who would have bought it if not for the price drop. It's impossible for it to sell less than 70K, imo.

Agreed. 42k won't happen at all, I'm expecting ~150k.

gkryhewy

BurntPork said:

Next week will include only 3 days under the new price, I think...

BurntPork

Banned
gkryhewy said:
Next week will include only 3 days under the new price, I think...
Actually, it's 4 days, and the weekend is part of that. Plus, there is obviously a shitton of people waiting for the drop right now. IIRC, it sold 40k the week OoT3D launched, so it's obviously going to sell WAAAAY more than that. If it doesn't, it's time to throw in the towel, because nothing will save it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Wii neck and neck with PS3? How come? And where are the PS3 games in the top 20...

RPGamer92

Banned
Alextended said:
Wii neck and neck with PS3? How come? And where are the PS3 games in the top 10...
Rhythm Heaven and Epic Mickey as well as the previous releases of Inazuma Eleven Strikers and Goldeneye

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Goldeneye was like over a month ago, wasn't it..?

Epic Mickey doesn't seem popular, it's only near the top because they're all very low numbers...

Inazuma has died down also going by those numbers. Why would these shift units as opposed to existing owners?

And well, if games from a month ago help like that shouldn't the PS3 still be more ahead as usual? It had some games too, right?

mclem said:
I'm not sure it'll quite make it to a million, but there's no escaping that it's the biggest success for the Wii since... DKCR? Or is it tracking better than that?
Nah. DKCR's third week was actually its biggest by far, and brought it to a 650K total. Rhythm Heaven may catch up, but it will do so with bigger legs.
BurntPork said:
Wow. I didn't think 3DS would crash quite that hard.
Makes sense considering how big the drop was last week, when the price drop was only known for about half the time.

AranhaHunter said:
DQ Collection hitting a million would surprise the hell out.
I bet it comes close at least. Wii owners love their ROM discs.

I do wish Wii were getting a real DQ remake though. Genius Sonority totally should've done DQVII.

pramath

Banned
BurntPork said:
You really expect it to sell in excess of 80k? With no games?
Because a low price can only move hardware up to a certain point, the 3DS needs compelling games too, and it doesn't get any original software (I know it already has Zelda, Star Fox and Tales of the Abyss) until November with Mario. THAT'S when we'll see a real 3DS sales spike is my estimate.

Busaiku

BurntPork said:
Actually, it's 4 days, and the weekend is part of that.
It's 4 days, with the launch of Pokemon Rumble Blast, and the Obon festivities still going on.
If it does less than 150k, I would honestly be worried.

BurntPork

Banned
pramath said:
You really expect it to sell in excess of 80k? With no games?
Because a low price can only move hardware up to a certain point, the 3DS needs compelling games too, and it doesn't get any original software (I know it already has Zelda, Star Fox and Tales of the Abyss) until November with Mario. THAT'S when we'll see a real 3DS sales spike is my estimate.
Like I said, it went up to 40k when Zelda released. You really don't think that a 40% slash and a Pokemon spin-off can double, or even triple that?

Busaiku said:
It's 4 days, with the launch of Pokemon Rumble Blast, and the Obon festivities still going on.
If it does less than 150k, I would honestly be worried.
... However, it still doesn't have the games it needs to do that. 100k is a reasonable baseline, and what really matters is how it sells in the weeks and months after the drop.

I'm with BurntPork on this. Merely considering how many 3DSes weren't sold in the couple weeks between that would've been, and some moved over sales from the older DS models, it doesn't take much bump at all for it to hit 80K.

Acosta

Lol 360.

So much for "We designed it with Japanese designers, you can love us now." They can go back to make a gigantic box with a big ass d-pad.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Mockingbird said:
Think Epic Mickey will have legs? Kids certainly want it, right?

I think so.
Even GoldenEye is having legs!
Ah,can we classify Family Fishing as the "surprise of the week"?
It did very good for being a a Naka's game, and not so bad in general, considering its genre.

Top Bottom