• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 34, 2011 (Aug 22 - Aug 28)

PdotMichael said:
examples for a successful heavy local-multiplayer game with multiplattform release?

On console it won't be about local multiplayer so that does not matter.
So they can go multiplatform .

On handled it might be a problem .

KingDizzi

Banned
Chris1964 said:
Media Create Sales: Week 34, 2011 (Aug 22 - Aug 28)

01./00. [PS3] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 HD Ver. <ACT> (Capcom) {2011.08.25} (¥4.800) - 287.829 / NEW

1243524313anonymousquit.gif

Much as I love MH this is horrible to see, was hoping the first week would be no more than 150k. Should drop like crazy though, such a horrible port should not be rewarded.

Alextended said:
Fixed?

Anyway, it could just be varied versions, much like Tri vs 3rd.

They could even get people to buy both, and it's not the same game so it's not the sinful multiplatform release you think would ruin it.
I think this is actually what's most likely, and what P3HD (and the rumored 3G and P3HD releases) telegraph. Nintendo and Sony each getting their own "version" of MH4. Microsoft meanwhile is left to moneyhat whatever Capcom's PC division does.

Spiegel

lunchwithyuzo said:
I think this is actually what's most likely, and what P3HD (and the rumored 3G and P3HD releases) telegraph. Nintendo and Sony each getting their own "version" of MH4. Microsoft meanwhile is left to moneyhat whatever Capcom's PC division does.

Having two portable MH lines makes no sense

Busaiku

Was the red 3DS already released?
That might be able to boost numbers if it hasn't.

Otherwise I expect sub-30k again in 2 or 3 weeks.

Spiegel said:
Having two portable MH lines makes no sense
They won't launch against each other. Handheld will lead with Sony, console leads with Nintendo, then later we get cross format conversions for maximum milkage and moneyhats.

Wow that's higher than I thought for MH

3DS numbers are iffy, it needs to settle at around 40k otherwise Nintendo is in trouble

Good numbers for BRS

KingDizzi said:
1243524313anonymousquit.gif

Much as I love MH this is horrible to see, was hoping the first week would be no more than 150k. Should drop like crazy though, such a horrible port should not be rewarded.
Nobody knew

Rocksteady33

As much as it's sad to see the original DS fading away, it's important to keep in mind that it was released close to seven years ago. It had to die at some point people.

Ravage

Carl said:
Monster Hunter did better than i thought it would.

PS2 > 360. Again.

On a serious note, how many times have the PS2 outsold the 360 this year? It's insane really.

Anyway, fantastic numbers for both MH and BRS.

BurntPork

Banned
Busaiku said:

It's been released already.

And if it goes below 30k, it's time for Nintendo to drop it because nothing will save it.

Busaiku

BurntPork said:
It's been released already.

And if it goes below 30k, it's time for Nintendo to drop it because nothing will save it.
Well, there are really no games for it until Super Mario 3D Land.
If that and Mario Kart 7 (the first big non-port/remakes) don't do it, then you can go to that conclusion.

BurntPork

Banned
electroplankton said:
Or to wait holiday season and release some game.
No. If a 40% price drop has no affect on its baseline, two more games won't do a thing other than cause another temporary spike. It really has to at the very least stay above 35k. If it drops that much and Nintendo's September 13th announcement isn't a main-series Pokemon coming in Spring in Japan, it's dead. The drop in DS sales might be a good sign, though.

Busaiku said:
Well, there are really no games for it until Super Mario 3D Land.
If that and Mario Kart 7 (the first big non-port/remakes) don't do it, then you can go to that conclusion.
If a 40% price drop causes a 0% increase in the baseline, two games will only cause a spike.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Rocksteady33 said:
As much as it's sad to see the original DS fading away, it's important to keep in mind that it was released close to seven years ago. It had to die at some point people.

Oh, about DS...I've seen what was doing before 3DS price drop in normal weeks just like this, and it was at 10-11k...now, it is at 5k.
So, probably 3DS is starting really capturing at least 5-6k per weeks of traditional DS audience.
This without considering all people who already had a DS and now are starting buying the new Nintendo portable system, possibly.
However, 3DS again had a drop of only 43%, less than half... and it is higher than PS3's third week after the cut, when the console also saw Vesperia's release.

Busaiku

BurntPork said:
If a 40% price drop causes a 0% increase in the baseline, two games will only cause a spike.
It's still hard to tell since most of 3DS's stuff have been ports/remakes thus far.
It still doesn't really have an identity of its own yet.

BurntPork said:
No. If a 40% price drop has no affect on its baseline, two more games won't do a thing other than cause another temporary spike. It really has to at the very least stay above 35k. If it drops that much and Nintendo's September 13th announcement isn't a main-series Pokemon coming in Spring in Japan, it's dead. The drop in DS sales might be a good sign, though.

Naa. You see, this period is not particularly good for sales in general. 3DS needs at least a constant support from Nintendo and third parties, after Pokémon Scramble there's almost a whole month without releases and the next one will be a porting of a 100k game on DS. From october we'll have Kid Icarus, Rune Factory, Inazuma Eleven, Love Plus, Mario, Mario Kart, a constant wave of games which will help the console to increase its installed base and to gain attention. Moreover, games like Mario Kart and Mario Land will help in longer terms than Zelda, which usually is a short-term seller.

Jomjom

Banned
lunchwithyuzo said:
I think Nintendo will nab MH4 again for Wii U exclusively. Iwata has a total hardon for MH and it'd be better for local multiplayer since everyone could potentially have their own screen.

Vita will get MHP4 though.

I don't think it will be that easy for Nintendo to grab MH4 for the Wii U. Most likely if there is one for consoles it will be PS3/360. The Wii got Tri partly because it was also the best selling console in Japan. The Wii U will not be the console with the largest install base when MH4 is ready for release.

Mirimar

BurntPork said:
What happened to the PSP? is the market for it approaching saturation?

And 3DS sales dropped more than expected. It'll probably stabilize around 35-45k.

PS3 did okay, though.

Why should it stabilize? It still has no compelling software to keep the momentum going. I wouldn't be surprised to see it at 25-30k next week.

BurntPork

Banned
Busaiku said:
It's still hard to tell since most of 3DS's stuff have been ports/remakes thus far.
It still doesn't really have an identity of its own yet.
Two sequels won't create that identity.

It's a 40% drop. It has to do something for the baseline. As noted, we're seeing a sudden drop in DS sales, so that alone must add another 3-6k, and the drop itself must add something too. Before that cut, it actually looked like the baseline was rising a bit. There's just no way it won't have a baseline higher than before. It's completely illogical. If there were 5-7 notable 3DS games coming out this holiday, maybe it could survive after this holiday. However, if the price cut has no effect on the baseline, that means that it probably won't affect holiday sales. If that's the case, Vita might eat it alive and it'll be over.

Fularu

Banned
schuelma said:
The Monster Hunter discussion. I swear we had this exact conversation like 3 times.
If only people would stop feeding trolls like French, those threads wouldn't derail so stupidly

Alextended said:
Way to dodge the point. It didn't do big game numbers just because it had a demo of a big game.

Since when did "Big Game Numbers" become the point in this discussion? In case you need me to break it down for you here it is:

You dismissed the low sales of G (Far less than half of the initial sales for this port) on the grounds that it was a belated port (Umm...)

I pointed out that it had a demo included for the long-awaited sequel to what at the time (And even now) is the biggest 3rd party franchise in the country. You again dismiss this angle and I point out the absurdity of that dismissal and.... here we are in the present day.

Nice edit after someone else mentioned it showing you perhaps hadn't heard of that easy one yourself. Well, exceptions to the rules and all that.

I honestly just thought to give an example, didn't bother to refresh the page so no, I never saw his message and even if I had I don't see how it would effect the fact that I gave you an example of something you claimed to of never heard of. If you want another one: Crackdown.

And complaining about editing posts from the guy who's edited nearly every post in this thread so far? Glass houses my friend, glass houses.

And if you want to get that into the subject, how about checking how popular MHG was to begin with on all its platforms, even counting MHPortable if you want?

That's pretty generous: All versions/re-releases of the first game for PSP combined come out to roughly 1 million copies. Not that it matters much to the current discussion, but it warrants mention that MHP too was a "Years Late" port that came out a mere 3 months before Monster Hunter 2.

If the game wasn't nearly as popular as Portable 3rd has proven to be (because it really wasn't), why would a years late port of it do as good as a 6 month late port of that?

See, even ignoring it's the latest game, rather than a way outdated release with pre-existing sequels and a new one upcoming, the situation is still way in favor of 3rd over G.

No idea who you're arguing with here but I'll bite anyway:

Things were in favor of 3rd selling better? Good, because it did. And by a considerable margin at that.

BurntPork

Banned
Mirimar said:
Why should it stabilize? It still has no compelling software to keep the momentum going. I wouldn't be surprised to see it at 25-30k next week.
Then Nintendo fucked-up big-time and should have waited until November to cut the price instead of sacrificing hundreds of millions of dollars.

It's a 40% drop. How could it do absolutely nothing? That's just not possible unless it's a hopeless platform.

BurntPork said:
Two sequels won't create that identity.

It's a 40% drop. It has to do something for the baseline. As noted, we're seeing a sudden drop in DS sales, so that alone must add another 3-6k, and the drop itself must add something too. Before that cut, it actually looked like the baseline was rising a bit. There's just no way it won't have a baseline higher than before. It's completely illogical. If there were 5-7 notable 3DS games coming out this holiday, maybe it could survive after this holiday. However, if the price cut has no effect on the baseline, that means that it probably won't affect holiday sales. If that's the case, Vita might eat it alive and it'll be over.
Japan is a place where people will often buy a console and a few games, play them, and sell them all back, so I kind of expect that the used system channels are going to be flooded in the absence of new high-profile games in the near future.

Busaiku

BurntPork said:
Then Nintendo fucked-up big-time and should have waited until November to cut the price instead of sacrificing hundreds of millions of dollars.

It's a 40% drop. How could it do absolutely nothing? That's just not possible unless it's a hopeless platform.
Price drops always give just spikes, and that's it.
Mr. Iwata himself stated that around the time of one of Wii's price drops (I believe).
If there are no releases to sustain a platform, it will fail, regardless of the price (like Wii).

PSP and PS3 are getting constant releases almost every week, hence why they're still able to stay up.

BurntPork

Banned
Lance Bone Path said:
Japan is a place where people will often buy a console and a few games, play them, and sell them all back, so I kind of expect that the used system channels are going to be flooded in the absence of new high-profile games in the near future.
... which means that the Mario games will also do jackshit. :/ Why did Nintendo drop the price so early? Iwata is an idiot.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
If 3DS manages to stay at 50k, it will do well in the future when the big games come out. If it goes to 30k then, Nintendo will be in a tough position. Looking at the chart there, the NDS sales have declined a lot, which means the 3DS is the primary platform now. So, Nintendo should be happy with that.

Nirolak said:
I feel the main thing the Vita needs right now is a major title past the launch window.

The price is good and the launch window titles are good, but after that, they really have nothing announced that's going to sell a lot.

Even if they can just get some logos out before the system launches I feel it will be a lot better than the nigh complete radio silence they have now.
PSVita needs a megaton announcement; FFVIIR... believe.
Can't believe the PSP is so close to the PS2 in lifetime sales.

This is really obvious: but since so many people asked it giving an answer here: the reason everything besides ps3(price drop/ mhp3HD) went down is summer vacation is over, kids are back to school.

Mpl90

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
This is really obvious: but since so many people asked it giving an answer here: the reason everything besides ps3(price drop/ mhp3HD) went down is summer vacation is over, kids are back to school.

FFD, I hope tomorrow you'll give us some rumblings from your area about how everything sells, especially 3DS, PS3 and the main releases...
And thanks for clarifying the reason for such a big drop.

Majmun

3DS sales are still good. The decrease in sales is still pretty huge though.

But I won's push on the doom&gloom button until sales go below 30k. Wich is probably going to happen over two or three weeks...

saichi

I'm not sure if people are serious when they said 3DS drop this week is bad. Down 40% to 60K is actually great. All the other hardware had way worse drop in the 2nd week and 3rd week after price cut.

tiku

saichi said:
I'm not sure if people are serious when they said 3DS drop this week is bad. Down 40% to 60K is actually great. All the other hardware had way worse drop in the 2nd week and 3rd week after price cut.

But other system didn't have such a large 1rst week drop.

TheNatural

My Member!
It's going to be a long while before the holidays come, but it should tear up holiday sales. They just gotta ride out these next couple of months.

Majmun

tiku said:
But other system didn't have such a large 1rst week drop.

And they didn't have such a massive pricedrop so close after launch. That should also be taken into consideration. A lot of early adopters who stood on the fence, are probably buying it now.

Mpl90

BurntPork said:
What did I do? I just said that a 40% price drop should increase sales. Is that really crazy?

No.
The part about dropping entirely the console is crazy.
VERY CRAZY.

Mrbob

Busaiku said:

We need to see where stabilization occurs, but if 3DS goes under 30K this is not good for Nintendo.

tiku

Second said:
And they didn't have such a massive pricedrop so close after launch. That should also be taken into consideration. A lot of early adopters who stood on the fence, are probably buying it now.

Yes, what i meant with my post was that we will see the stabilization in a week or two, not now when numbers are, yet, getting some kind of balance

Top Bottom