• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 35, 2015 (Aug 24 - Aug 30)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
If it's not PS4 only it's an underwhelming first week.

...yeah, quite lower than the others. 300,000 sounds right for PS4's SKU in case of a debut arond 420,000-460,000 though. Crinale, warn us whenever the blog posts more hints.

crinale

If it's not PS4 only it's an underwhelming first week. Rising opened higher than 300k.

Oh, software-wise. I was thinking about hw numbers and went crazy XD

Well, 300k overall numbers for MGSV debut? Isn't that lower than expected?

Maybe I'm hungry and I can't connect properly...see you later guys!

It would fit more as an PS4 number only though. 300k for PS4 and something like 150-200k for PS3 would give us normal 450-500k MGS opening. 300k for both combined would be pretty fricking bad and so out of norm for mainline MGS that I have hard time to believe it.

...yeah, quite lower than the others. 300,000 sounds right for PS4's SKU in case of a debut arond 420,000-460,000 though. Crinale, warn us whenever the blog posts more hints.

Oh he didn't specify the platform that was just my random guess.
If PS4 only fits more then that may be right.

Colombo

It's fuckin epic how Wii U after The launch of December 2012 is dropped under 20k after 7 weeks, and Splatoon after 14 weeks is still Above those numbers... The 14 week of Sales Wii U was already under 10k...

Splatoon is on The Road for outsell The Wii U. XD

Yeah I still can't believe the Wii U has managed to stay above 10k since the game launched and considering the console regularly dropped to sub 5k numbers around the same time last year, the Wii U is very likely to beat it's 2014 sales!

Darius

Banned
That´s something that isn´t reliable but just out of curiosity, by extrapolating the Comg points with DQ8 as some kind of reference, you get something like 300k for the PS4 version of MGS5 and 500k for PS4+PS3. So the hint very likely refers to PS4 only sales at worst.

test_account

XP-39C²
Perhaps "misleading" because many of those games were portings and / or downgrades; e.g. SSFIV 3D, Tales of the Abyss, Devil Survivor: OverClocked, MGS3; or cheap spin-offs, e.g. RE: Mercenaries, AC. The only big names were Layton, RE and KH; MH is another league entirely since even if 3G was "just" a port it was predicted to sell well.
I understood the first quote about 3rd parties being on board in general, and all those titles listed shows that many were on board early on. Its the same with for example Final Fantasy 15 and Kingdom Hearts 3 for PS4, it shows that they are already on board. Maybe he thought it was about big hitters being released, then i understand, but i'm not sure that is what the original quote was about.

casiopao

Haha, of course!

Btw, Atlus games sold really well on 3DS (SMTIV sold more than SMTIII for what it matters; Persona Q is the third best-selling Persona game in Japan behind 4 and 4 Golden) so it might make sense to spread as much as they could on multiple hardware. EOV without a platform might be a first signal.

Lol, it is okay there. It is just that i feel this going to bring all the console war again here.

I do feel that persona and smt is going to be one of those title which will go multiplatform in the future.

This only works if your systems are based on mobile hardware, not the other way around.

The PS4 is built around a 90-150 watt power envelope and a large active cooling system.

I am not so well versed in this technology think here but i have questions here. Does using mobile techs make the platform weaker in power output? Or does using mobile hardware allow the platform to be more adaptable on the game it supported?

lherre

Accurate
I am not so well versed in this technology think here but i have questions here. Does using mobile techs make the platform weaker in power output? Or does using mobile hardware allow the platform to be more adaptable on the game it supported?

Mobile tech tends to have low power consumption but if you want "power" then it is more expensive that its "not mobile" counterpart.

When you design a system you have a "tdp budget" and this is the same for mobile devices. But in this case you have to think about the "battery budget" too.

I understood the first quote about 3rd parties being on board in general, and all those titles listed shows that many were on board early on. Its the same with for example Final Fantasy 15 and Kingdom Hearts 3 for PS4, it shows that they are already on board. Maybe he thought it was about big hitters being released, then i understand, but i'm not sure that is what the original quote was about.

They were talking about the first year or so, right?

Kandinsky

What franchises are we expecting to go multiplatform with NX though? Wii U was powerful enough to play a lot of 7th generation games but developers didn't give it the time of day, and that's before it became a lost cause. What difference will NX make?

Part of me doubts that games like Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, Kingdom Hearts 3 and FFXV will suddenly show up on the platform, which are the major 3rd party hooks Vena spoke of. In my eyes, all it means is that franchises like Yokai Watch and Monster Hunter may see a console release on big brother NX by proxy.

If NX can handle those titles, they'll show up, no doubt, especially the SE ones.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

M0bri6E.gif

never post right before lunch!

Yeah, probably is just PS4
Yeah, that would be in line with my very solid expectations for MGSV PS4 edition!

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I think the fact we had Busters instead of YW3 would be a big factor, no?

That's also in play, but I think one just witnessed the peak of the franchise late last year and now it's all about finding that threshold of where does it stand in the marketplace, and when does the decline stop and stability kicks-in.

Uhh, that was fast.

TPC must be wizards for how they managed to keep Pokemon going so strong for so many years.

Pokémon also declined from generation to generation. It had never achieved the success of the first generation again - neither nationwide nor worldwide. Red / Green / Blue sold close to 8m in Japan alone, while Gold / Silver sold 6m. Only Diamond / Pearl and partially Black / White slowed the decline, by selling a bit more than Ruby / Sapphire (thanks to the huge DS installed base). Now Pokémon X / Y is just above 4.5m units.

Fact is, Pokémon was so huge back then that, even if on decline / constant after the initial decline, it is still a huge franchise. That's why L5 should consolidate the fanbase instead of expanding even more - and YW Busters might be a move in the right direction.

Oregano

That's also in play, but I think one just witnessed the peak of the franchise late last year and now it's all about finding that threshold of where does it stand in the marketplace, and when does the decline stop and stability kicks-in.

It's definitely possible, they have to establish an equilibrium.

I may be misunderstanding how YW is merchandised but if its like Pokémon a new mainline entry brings new characters/monsters which obviously means a lot more new merchandise.

EDIT: It's a good thing Level 5 is already working on Snack World though.

Vena

Oh. Yeah. If PS4 version sells 300k maybe 150k is indeed closer to the truth regarding of sales of PS3 version.

I think it all lines up pretty accurately with YSO's average, rather than the higher end optimism of certain of the predictors of YSO.

That said, with MGSV performance for the most part now known, Splatoon will not be outsold by anything or sold near by any even remotely close margin.

vinnygambini

Uhh, that was fast.

TPC must be wizards for how they managed to keep Pokemon going so strong for so many years.

Pokemon is interesting as the brand experienced explosive growth in Japan (and overseas) in their early years but have since declined significantly from their peek but...

What's interesting is that in Japan, Pokemon experienced a steep decline from 2002-2005, especially in their merchandising revenue, and then the brand gained traction again from 2006-2010, mostly in part due to the DS' popularity. Currently, the Pokemon brand is where it was during the Ruby & Sapphire era, in spite of a new generation X & Y.

For Youkai Watch, gaming remains solid, as per Media Create, but the money is in licensing/merchandising - I'm eager to see where this brings us for Youkai Watch.

Vena

Pokemon is interesting as the brand experienced explosive growth in Japan (and overseas) in their early years but have since declined significantly from their peek.

What's interesting is that in Japan, Pokemon experienced a steep decline from 2002-2005, especially in their merchandising revenue, and then the brand gained traction again from 2006-2010, mostly in part due to the DS' popularity. Currently, the Pokemon brand is where it was during the Ruby & Sapphire era, in spite of a new generation X & Y.

Pokemon is getting hurt by its other media arms, particular the anime and movies, being completely inert and dull at this point. It could do with and greatly use some refreshment in that arm for the newer generation as well as to potentially rekindle interest in lapsed fans who have completely drifted away from the tired old formulas.

I could say, as well, that the games themselves could use a bit more novelty in mechanics and presentation (specifically gameplay but not so much combat staple changes).

Pokemon is interesting as the brand experienced explosive growth in Japan (and overseas) in their early years but have since declined significantly from their peek but...

For Youkai Watch, gaming remains solid, as per Media Create, but the money is in licensing/merchandising - I'm eager to see where this brings us for Youkai Watch.

Well, the mainline entry sold almost a million less than R/S on GBA and movies are earning a lot less wrt that period. Perhaps licensing and merchandising is bigger now, though, thanks to a better management.

vinnygambini

Pokemon is getting hurt by its other media arms, particular the anime and movies, being completely inert and dull at this point. It could do with and greatly use some refreshment in that arm for the newer generation as well as to potentially rekindle interest in lapsed fans who have completely drifted away from the tired old formulas.

I could say, as well, that the games themselves could use a bit more novelty in mechanics and presentation (specifically gameplay but not so much combat staple changes).

I agree; hence my point that Pokemon is experiencing the same headwinds as it did previously during the Ruby & Sapphire era, perhaps even more so due to the competitiveness of the market.

I mean there is a reason why Pokemon XY: Hoopa and the Clash of Ages is the lowest grossing film of the franchise at this point with less than ¥2.5 billion.

It needs a shot in the arm that's for sure.

Edit: Side note, didn't Pokemon Shuffle release in Japan recently? How is that doing?

Oregano

So on the topic of whether NX will get multiplatform games: an interesting tidbit from the Miyamoto Eurogamer interview is that he specifically calls out the Wii U's CPU as holding games back,

I think that's a really positive thing because the CPUs of 3DS and Wii U have been bottlenecks and it directly affected the possibility of Unity and Frostbite based games respectively.

Miyamoto highlights through the lense of Nintendo development but I would definitely think it's a possible sign that they've taken third parties input onboard.

Have y'all heard about peaks and declines?

Yo-kai Watch is fine.

03./03. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team / White Dog Squad <ACT> (Level 5) {2015.07.11} (¥4.968) - 48.868 / 1.400.802 (+1%)

So on the topic of whether NX will get multiplatform games: an interesting tidbit from the Miyamoto Eurogamer interview is that he specifically calls out the Wii U's CPU as holding games back,

I think that's a really positive thing because the CPUs of 3DS and Wii U have been bottlenecks and it directly affected the possibility of Unity and Frostbite based games respectively.

Miyamoto highlights through the lense of Nintendo development but I would definitely think it's a possible sign that they've taken third parties input onboard.

Didn't he also mention how the wiiu was generally powerful enough though?

Oregano

Didn't he also mention how the wiiu was generally powerful enough though?

Yes, which is not as positive a sign but hopefully if they are unifying their software/hardware then it means the base level(portable) is aiming at Wii U level performance.

If not then it's not such a good look.

EDIT: On that line of thinking isn't it quite easy to find Mobile CPUs which outperform the Wii U CPU?

Eolz

Well, it should at least put the posters hating their CPU those past 3 gens fears to rest. Doesn't necessarily mean it'll do much to get third parties back, but...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Mmmmmh (sorry if I'm going out of topic, let me know if I should go to the NX thread, but you rarely post there!!!): does that mean that the hypotetical NX home product would necessarily be downgraded in terms of HW by its portable counterpart?
If we take this at face value and imagine a platform where games are built for one system and just immediately run on the other, then the home console would at most be a souped up version of the handheld.

Like, let's go back in the history of the iPhone/iPad a bit. It was not uncommon to find a scenario where the iPhone has 2 GPU cores and 2 CPU cores, and the iPad would have 4 GPU cores and 4 CPU cores.
Technically the iPad still only had 2 CPU cores, but we can ignore this for our purposes.
The reason for this is that the iPad's battery was about 3-4 times larger than the iPhone, so it could both power more cores, and run them at a faster speed while maintaining battery life despite the larger screen and higher resolution.

If you imagine a dedicated handheld versus a set top box, you'd have something like 4 GPU/4 CPU cores in the handheld (the Vita already does this for example) and maybe 8 of each in the set top box, as it's plugged into the wall. If we imagined the handheld to be 720p, this would let the console output 1080p, but that'd each up much of the power gap already.

So yeah, basically you'd be looking at something like an enhanced handheld outputting to a TV.

Now, if we take them less literally, and instead to mean a unified API and hardware feature set that lets games move relatively easily between platforms, that's also a possible interpretation, but at that point it still takes way more work to get the handheld games to work on the home console and chances are high that only Nintendo and a few select partners would ever do that. The games would also look like uprezzed handheld titles with some additional upgrades for the most part, unless they were spending a significant amount of resources on each game a la Smash, removing the benefit of doing this in the first place.

Mobile technology is built to use as little electrical power as possible while outputting reasonable quality graphics. Laptop hardware is more quality focused, but still fairly concerned about battery. Desktop hardware has a relatively small concern for power usage and is focused heavily on graphical quality/horsepower.

Home consoles are built out of a mix of Laptop and Desktop parts, and the way they're engineered is such that they're never going to get down to the 2-3 watt SoC electrical draw necessary to be used in a handheld device. A desktop GPU might be built around taking up 100+ watts itself, and a laptop SoC is still likely to be in the range of 15-20+ watts if you want meaningful visual output over mobiles.

The way you make mobile parts often involves doing things like greatly limiting their ability to output things like polygons (this is an electrical power heavy operation) and instead focusing hardware on things that take less electrical power to do. They're fundamentally different hardware and you can't just magically do something like turning the PS4 or Wii U's hardware into mobile parts. You can try to make mobile parts with somewhat similar capabilities, but there's going to be notably differences that force games to be ported and changed in notable, staff heavy ways in order to get them done. Obviously, if porting in reverse (handheld -> console), this is not true because it's very easy for a home console of a similar feature set to run games built for strictly weaker hardware without alterating the art assets. It just tends to look notably poor compared to other games on the platform.

Top Bottom