• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2013 (Sep 02 - Sep 08)

zroid

Banned
Me personally, I'm really interested in Puzzle & Dragons Z. That's one of the classic "could go either way" releases, the way I see it.

test_account

XP-39C²
In contrast, the upcoming Amazon ARM console will probably have the same $99 price tag, offer exclusive games, 1080p output, and will tap into the large android app system. VitaTV looks pretty underwhelming in comparison.
How will that (tapping into the Android app system) work if it uses a controller?

So what you're saying is you want to go back to doom and gloom? I mean, that's essentially what's in the pipeline for both systems (especially Wii U) until the fall/holidays.
And even then we've discussed the WiiU to death in these threads. Even this very thread there's been talk...

Me personally, I'm really interested in Puzzle & Dragons Z. That's one of the classic "could go either way" releases, the way I see it.
Yeah, I have no idea about this one. Maybe it could become the 'Love & Berry' of the 3DS and hit 1 million, otherwise Gung-Ho might be disappointed.

Sandfox

I actually think football/soccer is growing enough in the US to where Inazuma could do decent numbers for a niche title.

Kikujiro

FIFA is big in the US.
Good games are good.

But anime football is not the same. Not only football is the biggest thing in EU, but every kid here grew up watching anime like Captain Tsubasa and they broadcast the Inazuma anime too. I don't think the people who buy Fifa in the US would buy Inazuma too.

A lot of devs seem to just be moving over to mobile with their smaller games for obvious reasons.

I think it has more to do with publishers' mindset than Nintendo overstimating themselves. On one gand, you have smaller, biche developers like Atlus finding succes on the system. On the other hand' you have Square Enix announcing iOS game regularly even though Bravely Default on the 3DS is one of their most successful new IPs is a while. Not much outside of DQ remakes. Capcom has a bunch of games they could release on the thing, but they don't do it. They could even create smaller, new IPs that would cost less on the 3DS than on home consoles.

Everyone seems to have a different focus. I remember playing stuff like The Avalon Code and Izuna on the DS. Izuna -like games could work as downloable games, but for some reason, Japan wants physical releases to sell any meaningful numbefs. This is only going to get worse even on consoles

It was Nintendo's job to make the 3DS a worthwhile platform from the very beginning and I feel they kinda failed. It took a while to really take off and third-parties either left for mobile or are only slowly coming back to it. I'm just saying that Nintendo has done a rather poor job of communicating to third parties that the 3DS is the place to be. TGS and Nintendo's next ND/Fall Conference will hopefully paint a better picture.

Sandfox

It was Nintendo's job to make the 3DS a worthwhile platform from the very beginning and I feel they kinda failed. It took a while to really take off and third-parties either left for mobile or are only slowly coming back to it. I'm just saying that Nintendo has done a rather poor job of communicating to third parties that the 3DS is the place to be. TGS and Nintendo's next ND/Fall Conference will hopefully paint a better picture.

Devs are making so much money off of mobile while paying so little themselves that I don't really think that there would have been a way to convince them even if the 3DS didn't have its early problems.

But anime football is not the same. Not only football is the biggest thing in EU, but every kid here grew up watching anime like Captain Tsubasa and they broadcast the Inazuma anime too. I don't think the people who buy Fifa in the US would buy Inazuma too.

They would have to bring over the anime and air it on Cartoon Network or something to build up interest.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Very, very small/ experimental titles are lacking compared to DS, that's true, but I can't support this talk of 3DS third party support as lacking, far from it. I'd say it's pretty good, actually.
We're also seeing Square returning to announce multiple 3DS titles after months and months, with one of them being a title everyone thought it would have been mobile this time (me included) :p

Oregano

The 3DS has been the dominant platform for twice as long as it was struggling now and although a few games have struggled(Kingdom Hearts comes to mind) there has been quite a few success stories and that should be communicating to devs that 3DS is the place to be. When the system regularly commands over 50% of the console market it should be a no brainer to support it. I'm not even discussing devs that have moved to mobiles right now; the 3DS oughta be getting the most support of any system and it isn't.

It's very easy to just say "Nintendo obviously didn't communicate well enough." but surely there should be some desire to support it from publishers.

Mory Dunz

I was just responding to the "no one cares about soccer." Anime soccer is different.

next week we have monhun and tgs
two weeks later is wwhd and sen kiseki which are the two biggest releases of the month for our favorite underdogs
then its only a couple of more weeks till pokemon + vita revision

should be entertaining

CrisKre

The 3DS has been the dominant platform for twice as long as it was struggling now and although a few games have struggled(Kingdom Hearts comes to mind) there has been quite a few success stories and that should be communicating to devs that 3DS is the place to be. When the system regularly commands over 50% of the console market it should be a no brainer to support it. I'm not even discussing devs that have moved to mobiles right now; the 3DS oughta be getting the most support of any system and it isn't.

It's very easy to just say "Nintendo obviously didn't communicate well enough." but surely there should be some desire to support it from publishers.

The thing is my observation says that Nintendo's output for 3ds has been a lot stronger in terms of how meaty the titles have been for 3ds than any other Nintendo handheld previously. So even though 3rd party support has been somewhat less strong than in the past, with 3ds nintendo has done a phenomenal job of filling the voids.Especially during the last year and a half.

Very, very small/ experimental titles are lacking compared to DS, that's true, but I can't support this talk of 3DS third party support as lacking, far from it. I'd say it's pretty good, actually.
We're also seeing Square returning to announce multiple 3DS titles after months and months, with one of them being a title everyone thought it would have been mobile this time (me included) :p

Yeah the market has changed since the DS days. Smart phones are actually diverting away resources now compared to back then. I think considering this current climate, the support isn't too bad. The DS didn't get PS2-level third party support either, so it's unrealistic to expect the 3DS to get that kind of support - the Nintendo franchises also help.

DiscoJer

Football/Soccer is huge in Europe. It won't sell well in States.

That's likely their thinking, too, but I think that's a misperception.

Here in St. Louis, this summer we had an exhibition soccer match from European teams sell out our football stadium in like 10 minutes.

Our football team doesn't even do that.

It's just I don't think soccer in the US has much in the way of star power. It's sort of like the reverse of our other sports - instead of the best players in the world coming here, the best players stay in other countries (and our best go).

-MB-

Har har. Not everyone is waiting for the inevitable Pokehunter circlejerk that's about to take place. Maybe some of us want to know what's going on in the pipeline for other systems like Wii U and PS3.

You mean you want to gloat some more on Wiiu sales, gotcha.

allan-bh

I wonder if Media Create will put Vita TV in the hardware list (like 3DS and 3DS LL) or will consider an accessory (like Kinect).

I hope the first case, so we will have weekly numbers.

I'm always questioning why the Vita is getting so many big games (like God Eater 2, Phantasy Star Nova, etc) when 3DS is just untouchable. It feels like the bigger RPGs and the like are on Vita and not 3DS, the 3DS is getting most of the biggest games yes, but the "next level down" as it were are all on Vita.

I mean, is it that difficult to imagine God Eater 2 and Phantasy Star Nova selling by far more on 3DS than Vita, not to mention the development costs could be lower as well?

Especially with MH4 just about out, that thing's going to obliterate charts. All the more reason for these other games to come to 3DS, the MH audience will be there in full swing.

Maybe publishers will consider afterward, I guess MH3G doing what was it 1.9 million isn't enough, so they want MH4 to do like 3 million before they make the jump? Considering how they flocked to PSP after MHP2G and MHP3, you'd think they do the same here.

OR, Sony's moneyhatting to make up for the loss of MH. I would think that is likely as well.

I'm always questioning why the Vita is getting so many big games (like God Eater 2, Phantasy Star Nova, etc) when 3DS is just untouchable. It feels like the bigger RPGs and the like are on Vita and not 3DS, the 3DS is getting most of the biggest games yes, but the "next level down" as it were are all on Vita.

I mean, is it that difficult to imagine God Eater 2 and Phantasy Star Nova selling by far more on 3DS than Vita, not to mention the development costs could be lower as well?

Especially with MH4 just about out, that thing's going to obliterate charts. All the more reason for these other games to come to 3DS, the MH audience will be there in full swing.

Maybe publishers will consider afterward, I guess MH3G doing what was it 1.9 million isn't enough, so they want MH4 to do like 3 million before they make the jump? Considering how they flocked to PSP after MHP2G and MHP3, you'd think they do the same here.

OR, Sony's moneyhatting to make up for the loss of MH. I would think that is likely as well.

most of the vitas "big" games are also on either psp or ps3, and those platforms were likely the bigger reason the games got started. One of the only smart things sony has done with vita was making it so easy to port ps3/psp games/engines too.

People give the vita shit for being port/multiplat machine, but just imagine how bad it would be without that stuff.

cafemomo

I'd play animu soccer. Been wanting an nice alternative to FIFA and PES. Hell if they do a eShop release of Inazuma, I'll break my rule of not buying anything over $2.99 because that game looks so interesting.

Sure the 3DS is "untouchable" (for the time being anyway) but certain games sell just better on Sony platforms.

DR2K

Banned

Why make a 3DS game when you can make a phone game that makes hundreds of millions of dollars? That's not how sales work in the real world. Certain genres and brands have their own niche.

Thing is, it makes no difference to publishers where they get their money from and with mobile being such a powerful competitor, it's on Nintendo to convince third parties. The 3DS is by far the most successful dedicated gaming platform of this generation and has many of Japan's most successful franchises on it. It isn't like last gen where there were 4 platforms more or less co-existing with each other; it's absolutely embarrassing the Vita and Wii U, the XBone is a lost cause either way and the PS4 a wildcard. "Ideally" (as in, that should be Nintendo's aim) all the mid-sized productions that went to DS, PSP and Wii should be going to the 3DS. But they aren't.

Now I'm not saying that every franchise and game under the sun should be on 3DS but there's several that have no announced entry or have only graced the platform in form of remakes. I mean, there's not a single Final Fantasy RPG game on 3DS. I love Theatrhythm and I will get the sequel if it comes to Europe but has it gotten that hard to tickle a Final Fantasy RPG out of Square-Enix?

Yes, the market has changed but that only means that Nintendo has to be more proactive. Sony realized that, is doing a great job and will do even better now that they've built that third party relations office. Nintendo, as usual, is playing the big goofy elephant. As I said, we'll see at TGS and whatever Nintendo has in store this Fall but I really feel they aren't doing enough.

Phantasy Star Nova probably runs on the PSO2 engine which the 3DS would have a hard time running and God Eater 2 is probably skipping the 3DS because 1. they already have 2 SKUs (PSP and Vita) 2. they want to avoid the platform with MonHun because they're releasing in the same year. I don't think Sony has to moneyhat anything, it's not like these are unreasonable.

I wonder if Media Create will put Vita TV in the hardware list (like 3DS and 3DS LL) or will consider an accessory (like Kinect).

I hope the first case, so we will have weekly numbers.

It plays Vita games independent of the Vita handheld...so it can't be an accessory.

Accessories need some kind of original hardware to function.

I think Iwata has a very idealistic idea that, if you have an install base, third parties will come. That doesn't work these days. They want to be wooed. And you need to woo them as a platform holder or they'll just find the cheapest, easiest path.

It doesn't help that the Wii U has neither an install base nor wooing.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think Iwata has a very idealistic idea that, if you have an install base, third parties will come. That doesn't work these days. They want to be wooed. And you need to woo them as a platform holder or they'll just find the cheapest, easiest path.

I think another issue for the Wii U is that we're past the hardware design phase.

This generation basically all their competitors wooed devs even on the core hardware design level. Nintendo no longer has that option.

It's a Nintendo-wide thing, it seems. Reggie's comments on the matter are basically the same. Only Adelman (the guy responsible for indie stuff) seems to be living in the real gaming industry of A.D. 2013.

kubricks

It's so disheartening to see results like this.
Not long ago we have the catastrophic TW101 bomba, Pikmin3 not being a momentum generator as it was hoped, then now we have a PSP anime based "thing" that devastated Killzone and Puppeteers combined .... what has Japan become really?

And about the Monster Hunter.... I still don't understand to this date what appeal it has to the public. I tried it and many of its clones many many times and what it was to me is a grindfest with subpar graphic and clunky controls, and somehow this is almost what the Japanese ONLY BUY these days.

I just don't get it didn't I? ;_;

DaBoss

And about the Monster Hunter.... I still don't understand to this date what appeal it has to the public. I tried it and many of its clones many many times and what it was to me is a grindfest with subpar graphic and clunky controls, and somehow this is almost what the Japanese ONLY BUY these days.

I just don't get it didn't I? ;_;

Because the games are good and don't control clunky. :p

You probably didn't put enough time into the game. Has a really steep learning curve.

And speaking of that, I will never understand how a series with such a steep learning curve gets that much sales in Japan alone.

saichi

1. What are the so many big games other than the two you listed (which they actually don't really qualify as big games)?

2. God Eater 2 and Phantasy Star Nova are not RPGs. Even if you count them as RPGs and does not count Pokemon and MH, DQ is on 3DS. Kingdom Heart is on 3DS. Inazuma 11 is on 3DS. All those games were bigger game than GE or PSP last gen. 5 of the top 6 RPG franchise is on the platform (the only one missing is FF) but the bigger RPGs are on VITA? It doesn't make sense.

ohlawd

So like what are the next biggest games after MH4 and Pokemon X/Y?

shiet don't tell me we're back to doom and gloom half a year later.

Busaiku

One Piece Unlimited World might do alright.
Though the last One Piece game bombed, but it was apparently a port of a bad game.

Puzzle & Dragons Z could be a wild card.
Angry Birds sold 600k in the US, but that's about the only remote comparison we have for this sort of thing, I think.

So like what are the next biggest games after MH4 and Pokemon X/Y?

shiet don't tell me we're back to doom and gloom half a year later.
Mario Party should be this year and Zelda should be early next year those should be decent sellers. I'm not too sure what will hit on the 3rd party front however.

1. What are the so many big games other than the two you listed (which they actually don't really qualify as big games)?

2. God Eater 2 and Phantasy Star Nova are not RPGs. Even if you count them as RPGs and does not count Pokemon and MH, DQ is on 3DS. Kingdom Heart is on 3DS. Inazuma 11 is on 3DS. All those games were bigger game than GE or PSP last gen. 5 of the top 6 RPG franchise is on the platform (the only one missing is FF) but the bigger RPGs are on VITA? It doesn't make sense.

I guess I can make a list of the games I'm referring to:

- God Eater 2
- Phantasy Star Nova
- Tales remakes (3DS got Abyss and did sell quite a bit more, but nothing in sight since)
- Falcom games (granted they're nestled in with Sony, so I can't fault them for that)
- Ragnarok Odyssey (another MH clone)
- Muramasa Rebirth (granted, it is automatically more appealing with the Vita's higher res, Rayman Origins also shows this)
- Warriors series (this is bizarre since the producer of Chronicles 2nd was so happy about that titles' sales and I think promised more, now, nada)
- Toukiden
- Ninja Gaiden (ports of the first two, they could remake Dragon Sword on 3DS, actually that;d be incredible)
- Nippon Ichi games (see Falcom)

Also I extremely believe that the next portable KH will be on Vita, I mean 3D didn't do a lot in JP (not sure in NA and EU) for whatever reason, so my bets are on Vita next, but it may take a while due to KH3,

Now believe me, I'm not saying Vita should get no games, not at all, I'm just speaking on a sales perspective. Lots of devs have been working with Sony for a long time and feel right at home with them despite the lower install base.

But for certain games, it does raise questions, and I guess it's the MH clones that confuse me the most BECAUSE of MH3G and MH4. Capcom went to 3DS, why not the rest?

I can't discredit the great 3DS support from Atlus, Namco Bandai (they're KILLING it with Anime games), and even SE surprisingly had far more 3DS games than any Vita games (most are related though, 3 DQ remakes, 3 BD games, 2 Theatrhythm games, 1 KH, etc). And it IS getting the best stuff (MH, SMT, BD (a new RPG Ip by SE? That's unthinkable in this age), and of course Level 5 is to be thanked. :)

I'm just a nitpicker, sue me. :p

Busaiku

Toriko Ultimate Survival is also a hunting action game, based on a somewhat notable IP, so it might show us if there's a market for this on 3DS.
It is following Monster Hunter 4, so it should be able to ride some of that.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Oh so it's not only me.

But really, I've gone at length a few times before, and I think the hybrid idea is possibly the worst possible way to react to their current ordeals. It is downright suicidal and I'm surprised many people are suggesting it.

Really? What's so wrong with it in your opinion?

onipex

Disney Infinity is getting an exclusive 3DS/Wii U release in Japan. Any chance of it getting as high as Disney Magic Castle? I don't remeber how Skylanders did in Japan, but DMC numbers shouldn't be out of reach.

Top Bottom