• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2011 (Sep 12 - Sep 18)

RPGamer92

Banned
It's amazing how much deja vu there is from DS->3DS as the DS didn't do to hot until holiday 2005 and now it looks like the same is going to happen with the 3DS this holiday. And then the cycle will continue with the next Nintendo handheld whenever that comes out.

airmangataosenai said:
I realize it's just NES ports, but is 260k really that good for any DQ release? I guess it depends on how high the shipments were.
Well, what to compare it to? Compared to the full remakes, it's far lower. Compared to most spinoffs that aren't part of the Monsters subseries, it's higher.

Battle+Road+Victory

The 3DS...went UP?!?

I'm honestly surprised. I thought it would do about 5k less than last week, slightly going down and down up until the holiday season and big releases. To see it go up totally surprises me. Hopefully this isn't just a fluke, and the 3DS stays around 50k a week. That would be great.

RPGamer92

Banned
Souldriver said:
The 3DS...went UP?!?

I'm honestly surprised. I thought it would do about 5k less than last week, slightly going down and down up until the holiday season and big releases. To see it go up totally surprises me. Hopefully this isn't just a fluke, and the 3DS stays around 50k a week. That would be great.
The Nintendo conference last week left a good impression in Japan.

Alrus

I wonder how Rocket Slime 3 will will perform. Seeing the sales of previous entries, they don't seem like that big of a deal compared to other "holidays" releases.

saichi

vicissitudes said:
Hahahahaha who were those people who said this one might have legs and hit 1 million? I was thinking it'd be lucky to hit 800k but yeah it won't even hit that.

with this week's number... try 700K.

I think it's a given Zelda:OOT 3D will reach 500K, not if.

I kinda figured the sales for the 3DS were going to go up after tgs.. People probably want to buy them before the holidays, cause once Mario kart and monhon come out that damn thing will probably be sold out for awhile.

Road

91% is not the biggest drop ever, but it seems to be the biggest drop for a game opening with 500k or more.

The next biggest drop I have is FFIII for the DS with 89.6% (shortages, IIRC). Followed by FFVIII, FFXII and FFXIII...

All Famitsu information.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Santiako said:
Zelda OoT is going to become an evergreen title, just like New SMB or Mario Kart DS
I think that OOT, as every other Zelda game in existence, will drop out of the charts after the holidays, because of the huge number of awesome 3DS releases that are coming, and because it is Zelda and not Mario. It's pretty much the same situation that SM64 was on the DS's launch; it was one of the few worthy titles, but then the real great titles started coming, and it dropped from the charts.

Now, Mario Kart 7 and SMB 3D, those will be evergreen titles.

saichi

Road said:
91% is not the biggest drop ever, but it seems to be the biggest drop for a game opening with 500k or more.

The next biggest drop I have is FFIII for the DS with 89.6% (shortages, IIRC). Followed by FFVIII, FFXII and FFXIII...

All Famitsu information.

At least Tales series beats FF series on a sales record now!

rpmurphy

JoshuaJSlone said:
Turns out the stock price dropped because all the investors were selling some to get the money to buy a 3DS.
hahaha nice.

Everybody at the conference was too busy ordering a 3DS and MH3G to clap.

Tales dropped heavily as expected. It should still probably do 700-750k though which would put it near the top for best selling in the series.

3DS jump is surprising. Didn't expect an announcement to fuel sales so early. Next week will be interesting to see if it can sustain 50k or not.

manueldelalas said:
It's pretty much the same situation that SM64 was on the DS's launch; it was one of the few worthy titles, but then the real great titles started coming, and it dropped from the charts.
It DID drop out of the weekly Top 30 for good in June 2005, but went on to slowburn another 500K copies.
292+-+Super+Mario+64+DS+-+DS

BurntPork

Banned
Holy shit! I did not expect 3DS to jump like that just from an announcement, let alone a 9k jump!

[Nintex] said:
Woah a 3DS bump.

I'm going to order a dish of crow what sauce should I get with that?
Could you order one for me, too? Extra spicy buffalo sauce, please.

x3r0123 said:
afaik, miku wasnt a system seller in the psp. However, it did sell very well software-wise
Project Diva 2 sold extremely well. And Love Plus is no game changer in itself as well, but just like Miku it sells really, really well for what it is and it attracts a certain enthusiastic demographic to your platform.

Jokeropia

Nice 3DS bump.
BladeoftheImmortal said:
I just think it's funny that wii saw almost no increase in sales this week.
50% increase actually, but you couldn't really expect DQ Collection to be a system seller. I'm actually impressed the game sold as much as it did.

The Boat

JoshuaJSlone said:
Turns out the stock price dropped because all the investors were selling some to get the money to buy a 3DS.
This could be Nintendo's version of "You need to get a second job to buy a PS3".

BurntPork

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Funny enough, Nintendo's stock is up slightly today.

Also, that article from yesterday that said MH3G and MH4 weren't hype because there was no applause just looks embarrassing now.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
JoshuaJSlone said:
It DID drop out of the weekly Top 30 for good in June 2005, but went on to slowburn another 500K copies.
http://garaph.info/linecomparegamejp.php//dayend/2215/width/500/height/300/gid-0/292/title/292+-+Super+Mario+64+DS+-+DS[img][/QUOTE]
woa! that's a lot of Mario. Still, I don't think it will be the case of Zelda.

jman2050 said:
You know, I truly did honestly believe that the lack of games was the biggest problem with the 3DS sales-wise, and that the price was just an unfortunate compounding of that problem.

Shows what I know I guess.

Well, they did just announce a metric ton of games while starting advertising Monster Hunter 3G on TV and sales have just seen a noticable boost...

Really, it's all of these things combined. The drop in price, the release of high profile titles like OoT 3D and the promise of soon to be released titles (MH3G, SM3DL, Mario Kart 7, New Love Plus etc) are finally coming together to give the 3DS that spark that it needed to ignite sales.

Same thing happened with the original DS back in late 2005/early 2006.

Alrus said:
I wonder how Rocket Slime 3 will will perform. Seeing the sales of previous entries, they don't seem like that big of a deal compared to other "holidays" releases.

I reckon that it'll do well. It looks to be a solid midrange title and the 3DS market seems to be quite receptive to these midrange budget games (Tales of the Abyss 3D, Super Pokemon Rumble both did reletively well and RS3 will surely beat both of these games)

BurntPork

Banned
TheBranca18 said:
No I do. I just don't post because my opinions differ largely from the general feeling in these threads.

For instance, I know you were referring to BurntPork's skepticism regarding the 3DS meeting the 3 million mark this year.
I said it wouldn't hit 4 million, and would likely be around 3 million. Even with this, it looks like around 3.25 million is likely; maybe 3.5 million, but that might be pushing it.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
BurntPork said:

Also, that article from yesterday that said MH3G and MH4 weren't hype because there was no applause just looks embarrassing now.

It looked already embarassing due to author's lack of knowledge of Japanese culture :p

At what point do we think journalists will stop making "Nintendo is doomed" articles and start making profound articles about how everyone should have seen the 3DS would go on to be successful? I say we'll see the last of them by February 2012, with some articles about this holiday season being a fluke in January.

BurntPork

Banned
OrangeGrayBlue said:
At what point do we think journalists will stop making "Nintendo is doomed" articles and start making profound articles about how everyone should have seen the 3DS would go on to be successful? I say we'll see the last of them by February 2012, with some articles about this holiday season being a fluke in January.
Unfortunately, it'll never stop because those journalists need to suck-up to Apple.

BurntPork said:

What about the article that said it wasn't receiving good reception by Japanese gamers because the graphics were worse than the PSP MonHon games? Lol.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Cosmo Clock 21 said:
He'd better publicly apologize to Nintendo.

AND CANCEL HIMSELF FROM LIFE!

Ok, I think that's enough for today

OrangeGrayBlue said:
Fuel for the "Nintendo is doomed" fire will always be available. As soon as the 3DS becomes too successful to downplay "analysts" will focus their fire on the fledgling Wii U.

beril

The_Darkest_Red said:
Fuel for the "Nintendo is doomed" fire will always be available. As soon as the 3DS becomes too successful to downplay "analysts" will focus their fire on the fledgling Wii U.

Also when the 3DS becomes too successful it will just be a fad and it will still be doomed

-MB-

OrangeGrayBlue said:
10K increase over just the announcement of MH? Wow.........

......It should have been at least 20k. Nintendo to go 3rd party any second.

If you factor in the fact that without these announcements and tgs, 3ds may probably have dropped a few k downwards again as it has been doing last few weeks, we actually did get closer to a 20k increase over the mh4 announcement. :p

Cromat

3DS is having an impressive recovery after the price drop.
Will be interesting to see how it performs in the holiday season.

StickSoldier said:
What about the article that said it wasn't receiving good reception by Japanese gamers because the graphics were worse than the PSP MonHon games? Lol.
Wasn't that just a random blog post with no actual sources?

Mojojo

OrangeGrayBlue said:

it never truly ended even at the height of DS and Wii popularity, so it's probably best to ignore them and have fun with the games.

Top Bottom