• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2011 (Sep 12 - Sep 18)

jakncoke

Banned
Chris1964 said:
My favorite graph

|47| 132.012| |
|48| 176.958| |
|49| 299.328| |
|50| 408.770| |
|51| 597.628| |
|52| 390.181| |
--------------------------
[/code]

http://i.imgur.com/vznL0.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

I said goddamn. 4 weeks straight of 300k sales

Road

JoshuaJSlone said:
OK, using Google I find that the more recent top 30 is there--they just must've failed to make it forward correctly. Hopefully just a one-off thing rather than discontinuing that forward.
Famitsu has not updated the rankings yet for this week either.

Either something's bad is going to happen or they are changing their system.

Erethian

schuelma said:
I still cannot belive the bump is because of Tri G, but what the heck else would it be?

I am perplexed.

Well they're already doing advertising for the game, including setting up demo units around the place.

Personally the bump doesn't seem that remarkable just yet, since it's only a single data point. Just as a sudden one week drop doesn't always mean much. So I'll wait and see where it's at two weeks from now.

donny2112

schuelma said:
I still cannot belive the bump is because of Tri G,

If this were the PSP, probably not, but since this is the first MH game on Nintendo handhelds, the hard-hardcore are probably not wanting to wait. They've probably put down full-paid preorders for MH3G at the same time as buying a 3DS. Totally guessing, of course, but wouldn't surprise me, at all.

Chris1964 said:
The week MH3 for Wii announced I have the impression Wii went down.

Haven't checked to confirm a drop, but Nintendo/Capcom were not running commercials for MH3 after it was announced, for sure. :lol

thestopsign said:
I can't remember if there was a pricedrop in Japan or not,

Just recall that there were only price increases in Japan for the DS with the DSLite and DSi for many years after launch. Therefore, no price drop in Japan at that time. :)

specialguy said:
Even a #1 game selling 263,000 cannot bump Wii hardware sales much...

Wii hasn't had a problem selling big software titles even through the poor hardware sales due to lack of releases from Nintendo and third-parties. Been that way for years now.

Alrus

Ratrat said:
3Ds!

When can we expect psp sales to start to decline?

After the Vita releases? We won't see a significant decline before anyway, Type-0 is coming soon and it's pretty much guaranteed to provide a big boost (unless the demo was so poorly received it sells like crap...)

Erethian

Alrus said:
After the Vita releases? We won't see a significant decline before anyway, Type-0 is coming soon and it's pretty much guaranteed to provide a big boost (unless the demo was so poorly received it sells like crap...)

I wouldn't be surprised to see PSP eat into Vita sales for a bit, because it's yet to have the marked decline in software announcements that the DS had well before the 3DS came out.

Plus there's the issue of being unable to play PSP titles on Vita unless you buy the PSN copy, and I think it's fair to say digital download titles are, uh... just a little bit unpopular in Japan.

Kazerei

Banned
I guess Nintendo's TGS show instilled confidence in gamers who were on the fence about buying a 3DS.

So now that Super Mario All-Stars and Dragon Quest 25th Anniversary have been wildly successful despite just being ROM dumps with a few collectibles ... which series is next? :p

Jonnyram

Kazerei said:
I guess Nintendo's TGS show instilled confidence in gamers who were on the fence about buying a 3DS.
Yeah, I'm sure noone expected them to release Mario, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Tomodachi Collection, Fire Emblem for 3DS :/

It's selling well right now because of the price drop. It would be strange to say that a game releasing in December would boost the sales right now. After all, DQX is also being advertised on TV, but that hasn't done shit for Wii sales.

Alrus

Jonnyram said:
Yeah, I'm sure noone expected them to release Mario, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Tomodachi Collection, Fire Emblem for 3DS :/

It's selling well right now because of the price drop. It would be strange to say that a game releasing in December would boost the sales right now. After all, DQX is also being advertised on TV, but that hasn't done shit for Wii sales.

You don't get a 9k boost during a week where you have no new releases at all. So yeah, the commercials and announcements helped.

Jonnyram

Alrus said:
You don't get a 9k boost during a week where you have no new releases at all. So yeah, the commercials and announcements helped.
You are right. I guess Nintendo's show really must have installed confidence in gamers sitting on the fence to have sold 9000 more units!

Erethian

Jonnyram said:
You are right. I guess Nintendo's show really must have installed confidence in gamers sitting on the fence to have sold 9000 more units!

They were probably the same gamers who took a month and a half to notice the price had dropped!

DGRE

Banned
specialguy said:
Even a #1 game selling 263,000 cannot bump Wii hardware sales much...
This makes no sense. That game was a collection of games that certainly most of the people purchasing it had already played.

Who is picking up a console just to replay games?

BurntPork

Banned
Jonnyram said:
So you think the boost just happened for no real reason?

Lesiroth

Erethian said:
I wouldn't be surprised to see PSP eat into Vita sales for a bit, because it's yet to have the marked decline in software announcements that the DS had well before the 3DS came out.

Plus there's the issue of being unable to play PSP titles on Vita unless you buy the PSN copy, and I think it's fair to say digital download titles are, uh... just a little bit unpopular in Japan.
I've always wondered why do Japanese gamers have a different stance on digital downloads.

Calcaneus

Thanks for linking to old sales threads, those are great. Reading the thread on the week the PSP came out is crazy. The GBA was still around, DQ VIII beasting, "third pillar" talk. Man I forgot all about the third pillar.

Erethian

Lesiroth said:
I've always wondered why do Japanese gamers have a different stance on digital downloads.

Being able to buy a game, finish it quickly, and sell it back means you get a good return (or credit) from the store to put towards future titles.

Of course that sort of behaviour is more common amongst the 'hardcore', but the used game market still has a huge influence.

Jonnyram said:
After all, DQX is also being advertised on TV, but that hasn't done shit for Wii sales.
Well DQX has been known for years that it would be coming to Wii. Also, DQX doesn't have a firm release date, it's just known to be coming some time in 2012. MH3G was just anounced and will be released in 3 months. I think it's a much bigger deal because it's a surprise anouncement, it will be released shortly as well as being advertised on TV. I see no other possible explanation as to why the 3DS was declining 5-10K a week until this week where it jumped 9K.

LOCK

Great 3DS sales. Things are starting to get interesting. I also predicted in the last thread that by the end of the year the 3DS would be over 4 million, and I'm sticking with that.

Road

http://www.m-create.com/ranking/

Media Create is making the same observations about 3DS hardware sales, about how sales have gone up without no new releases or barely any change in 3DS software sales, so people are perhaps buying because of what is going to come out.

While it is indisputable people buy consoles in general in anticipation for upcoming releases, we can't really know the answer unless someone polled the buyers.

beril

Alrus said:

I don't think Vita will affect PSP sales that much in the start. It doesn't have proper BC and it's a lot more expensive. Even the DS wasn't affected that much by the 3DS until the price drop. The PSP still has a healthy release schedule so I think it will hang around for quite a while until the releases start drying up.

Whats the reason for the big Tales of X drop?

Did Namco only ship 600K and its only selling whats left from last week?

Was there a 2nd shipment

beril said:
I don't think Vita will affect PSP sales that much in the start. It doesn't have proper BC and it's a lot more expensive. Even the DS wasn't affected that much by the 3DS until the price drop. The PSP still has a healthy release schedule so I think it will hang around for quite a while until the releases start drying up.

It could more likely the reverse and the psp may eat into vita sales

mutsu

catashtrophe said:

Was there a 2nd shipment

No reason other than the fact that Tales of games are very front loaded.

mclem

Cygnus X-1 said:
Since it is the only 3DS game so far, whose 3D effect really add something to the experience, cannot say I'm not pleased.

Personally, I got that from Ridge Racer, but YMMV.

Sadist said:
Guess the 3DS will have a nice holiday season.

The 3DS will definitely have a nice holiday season and anyone who predicted otherwise was just blind or not really smart.

The longterm issue with the 3DS is that it doesn't seem to have the kind of software to give the system a momentum similar to the DS. Vita is a hefty challenger and the smart phone market has embraced the casual audience.

The 3DS needs to have its USP software and at the moment it doesn't. Personally i think Nintendo doesn't have the tools to create it (it's mostly a generational thing) so it will end up a GBA type of success and not another DS, though we will be perfectly fine with it (and Nintendo too).

ASIS

Annoying Old Party Man said:
The 3DS will definitely have a nice holiday season and anyone who predicted otherwise was just blind or not really smart.

The longterm issue with the 3DS is that it doesn't seem to have the kind of software to give the system a momentum similar to the DS. Vita is a hefty challenger and the smart phone market has embraced the casual audience.

The 3DS needs to have its USP software and at the moment it doesn't. Personally i think Nintendo doesn't have the tools to create it (it's mostly a generational thing) so it will end up a GBA type of success and not another DS, though we will be perfectly fine with it (and Nintendo too).
It was the same with the DS so don't worry about that too much.

mclem

Road said:
While it is indisputable people buy consoles in general in anticipation for upcoming releases, we can't really know the answer unless someone polled the buyers.

My hunch is that the purchasers are anticipating shortages, and don't want to get burned again. I think it's probably reasonably safe to assume no further price drops prior to MHTriG!

saichi

Annoying Old Party Man said:

Are we talking about Japan? If so, what software makes Vita a hefty challenger?

saichi said:

Hell, even in the West, what does the Vita have?
Uncharted and Resistance don't exactly light the charts on fire like Mario does.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
saichi said:
Everybody's Gold and GT? (sorry I can't think of anything else, except for the possibility of playing older MHP games with the right stick for camera)

gogogow

manueldelalas said:
Everybody's Gold and GT? (sorry I can't think of anything else, except for the possibility of playing older MHP games with the right stick for camera)
Both of them aren't what they used to be and a Vita GT has not been announced (will probably take years, if there's gonna be one). 3DS owners gets to play 2 new MH games. Vita owners gets to play old MH games :/

saichi said:
Yeah. 3DS may yet be lacking an equivalent to what really drove DS above and beyond (Touch Generations), but Vita's also lacking the singular franchise that really saved and drove PSP (Monster Hunter). Worse for Vita, 3DS has picked that series up instead.

Hypereides

Gold Member
catashtrophe said:

Was there a 2nd shipment

Probably because its very frontloaded and possibly because DQ collection has stronger JRPG recognition. Most likely a combination of both.

enishi

manueldelalas said:

Everybody's Golf is fine (it did well in Japan for PSP and PS3). But I don't think we can actually play new GT on Vita before 2014, unless it is a GT5 Vita (for such case, it will not be effective as new GT title)

I think the major issue for Vita is the price, even though it looks like a bargain with what we get from Vita already. The economy is becoming really really bad for the next 1-2 year that a 25000-yen handheld (plus min 2200 yen for a memory card...) is too steep for most customers. I can see those "core-gamers" will get them at launch period but more will wait until it gets something big to play...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Vita, for Japanese launch, has...

Dynasty Warriors Next

[PSP] Dynasty Warriors (Koei) - 56.425 / 286.284 / 19,71% 16/12/04
[PSP] Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce (Koei) - 227.309 / 384.336 / 59,14% 26/02/09
[PSP] Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce 2 (Koei) - 41.558 / 108.611 / 38,26% 11/03/10
[PS3] Dynasty Warriors 7 (Koei) - 259.787 / 428.471 / 60,63% 10/03/11

Hot Shot Golf 6

[PSP] Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee (SCE) - 66.079 / 399.257 / 16,55% 12/12/04
[PSP] Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee 2 (SCE) - 85.866 / 287.296 / 29,89% 06/12/07
[PSP] Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee [PSP the Best] (SCE) - 7.855 / 270.907 / 2,90% 17/11/05
[PSP] Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee 2 [PSP the Best] (SCE) - 2.700 / 119.176 / 2,27% 05/03/09
[PS3] Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds (SCE) - 175.750 / 410.052 / 42,86% 26/07/07
[PS3] Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds [PlayStation 3 the Best] (SCE) - / 163.825 / 0,00% 11/12/08

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge Raaaaaaaaceeeeeeerrr

[PSP] Ridge Racers (Namco) - 60.163 / 273.521 / 22,00% 12/12/04
[PSP] Ridge Racers 2 (Bandai Namco) - 28.558 / 69.295 / 41,21% 14/09/06
[PSP] Ridge Racers [PSP the Best] (Namco) - / 44.546 / 0,00% 17/11/05
[PS3] Ridge Racer 7 (Bandai Namco) - 30.318 / 149.648 / 20,26% 11/11/06
[3DS] Ridge Racer 3D (Bandai Namco) - 34.663 / 95.665 / 36,23% 26/02/11

Katamari Damacy no Vita

[PSP] Me and My Katamari (Namco) - 28.632 / 82.406 / 34,75% 22/12/05
[PS3] Katamari Damacy: Tribute (Bandai Namco) - 28.979 / 37.055 / 78,21% 23/07/09
[PS3] Katamari Damacy: Tribute [PlayStation 3 the Best] (Bandai Namco) - / 17.467 / 0,00% 03/06/10

And an interesting multi

Nature of Night of Kamaitachi - 11th
visitor, A Suspect

[PSP] Kamaitachi no Yoru 2: Tokubetsu Hen (Sega) - 5.729 / 21.451 / 26,71% 25/05/06
[PS1] Sound Novel Evolution 2: Kamaitachi no Yoru - Tokubetsu-Hen (Chunsoft) - 74.835 / 332.793 / 22,49% 03/12/98
[PS2] Kamaitachi no Yoru 2 (Chunsoft) - 205.837 / 351.608 / 58,54% 18/07/02
[PS2] Kamaitachi no Yoru 3 (Sega) - 101.966 / 162.199 / 62,86% 27/07/06

[SFC] Kamaitachi no Yoru (Chunsoft) - 212.861 / 521.218 / 40,84% 25/11/94

Except for Kamaitachi, I picked only the results of PSP entries and most recent entries on other consoles.
Bolded are the titles on a Sony home console.
Italics for titles on non Sony portables.
Bolded italics for titles on non Sony home consoles

Dragon

Banned
AceBandage said:
Hell, even in the West, what does the Vita have?
Uncharted and Resistance don't exactly light the charts on fire like Mario does.

Yeah uh pretty much nothing lights the charts like Mario. So your point is basically, oh yeah so the best selling series of all time? Yeah two IPs that started this gen have nowhere close to the amount of sales!

Uncharted sells fine on the PS3, will be interesting to see how it sells on Vita. I really don't think Resistance is going to do anything on the Vita.

Alrus

TheBranca18 said:
Yeah uh pretty much nothing lights the charts like Mario. So your point is basically, oh yeah so the best selling series of all time? Yeah two IPs that started this gen have nowhere close to the amount of sales!

Uncharted sells fine on the PS3, will be interesting to see how it sells on Vita. I really don't think Resistance is going to do anything on the Vita.

I think the point is, Uncharted sells well but isn't a massive system seller (Some people touts it as huge advantage for Vita, I really think it isn't gonna do much). Resistance is a mediocre seller anyway so it isn't gonna do much on Vita that's for sure.

Not saying the system doesn't have nice launch games, but you won't see many people rush to buy the system because it has Hot Shots Golf, Ridge Racer and Dynasty Warrior on it.

C_H_T

Alrus said:
I think the point is, Uncharted sells well but isn't a massive system seller (Some people touts it as huge advantage for Vita, I really think it isn't gonna do much). Resistance is a mediocre seller anyway so it isn't gonna do much on Vita that's for sure.

Not saying the system doesn't have nice launch games, but you won't see many people rush to buy the system because it has Hot Shots Golf, Ridge Racer and Dynasty Warrior on it.

Conclusion: They need a new Monster Hunter or Final Fantasy game.

Top Bottom