• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2011 (Sep 19 - Sep 25)

Instro

djplaeskool said:
It was mentioned earlier in the thread that Demon's Souls had a very low-key release and had a huge word-of-mouth increase both in Japan and worldwide (35+k first week > 160+k LTD + 60+k Reprint sales)
Ah ok that's what I was thinking. Thanks. It's nice to see a game/series succeed in that manner, particularly when it does so well.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
The VITA/3DS case is not the same as PSP/DS. The vast majority of software that will be made for the VITA can be ported to the 3DS, and that wasn't the case with PSP/DS.

Not every game on the VITA will be Uncharted; 3rd parties don't have the money to bleed in every title on the VITA. You can see some VITA games that aren't even PSP level of graphics, let alone 3DS graphics.

If a third party releases certain game on the VITA, and it is successful, there isn't a single reason to not port it to the 3DS, unless it heavily uses the back touchpad and can't be replicated on a 3DS (highly unlikely, unless it is a game where you open a bra or something), or uses multitouch as a heavy gameplay feature (which has never been the case with multitouch screen devices).

I think this time Sony has it a lot more difficult than last time, and I have seen key support for the PSP that is missing here, S-E are supporting the 3DS a lot more this time (I haven't seen a FFVII spin off on VITA, and KH 3DS looks a serious effort this time), Konami is using it as a machine that can play HD remakes made for another console (that means, a worse experience) and let's not even begin with Capcom...

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Old / new price

Code:
--------------------------
|  | MCreate  | MCreate  |
|  |   3DS    |   3DS    |
|Wk|2011.02.26|2011.08.08|
|  |    to    |    to    |
|  |2011.08.07|2012.01.22|
| 1|   374.764|   196.077|
| 2|   209.623|   105.639|
| 3|    96.463|    60.781|
| 4|    61.394|    54.744|
| 5|    50.710|    49.076|
| 6|    42.979|    58.837|
| 7|    32.910|    70.159|
| 8|    28.252|          |
| 9|    23.038|          |
|10|    28.413|          |
|11|    29.149|          |
|12|    18.324|          |
|13|    17.240|          |
|14|    24.283|          |
|15|    27.357|          |
|16|    24.649|          |
|17|    40.649|          |
|18|    27.905|          |
|19|    30.233|          |
|20|    22.943|          |
|21|    46.637|          |
|22|    31.826|          |
|23|    16.415|          |
|24|     4.132|          |

TWGMs.png

Sardello

BurntPork said:
Tira più un pelo di figa che un carro di buoi.
Translation: A pussy hair can pull more weight than a bunch of bulls.
Meaning: "A woman can talk a man into anything"

wat

EDIT: Wait. lol
As stated by everyone in this topic... It's all about boobs

FoneBone

Alrus said:
CoD is a big question mark because we don't know if huge sales on home console will translate in huge sales on a handheld (and even if sold really well, the PSP had GTA games and that still didn't really save it in the long term).
It's not even the sales - we know absolutely nothing about it (whether or not it'll be an entirely original game, how robust its feature set will be).

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Chris1964 said:
Sony didn't relaunch PSP in Japan. Monster Hunter did.

Exactly.
Now, I must see if I can make a full release list from October till the end of the year.

Super Black Bass: 3D Fight (Starfish SD) 06/10/11
Tetris (Bandai Namco) 20/10/11
Pink 3DS 20/10/11
Brave Company (Bandai Namco) 27/10/11
Mameshiba (Nippon Columbia) 27/10/11
Slime MoriMori Dragon Quest 3: Taikaizoku to Shippo Dan (Square Enix) 02/11/11
Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo) 03/11/11
Azito 3D (Banpresto) 03/11/11
Dog School: Lovely Puppy (Starfish SD)
Nicola Kanshuu:Model * Oshare Audition 2 (Alchemist) 03/11/11
Driver: Renegade 3D (Ubisoft) 10/11/11
Jewel Pet: Mahou no Rhythm de Ieie (MTO) 10/11/11
Shinobi 3D (Sega) 17/11/11
The Sims 3: Pets (Electronic Arts) 17/11/11
FabStyle (Koei Tecmo) 24/11/11
Hakuouki 3D (Idea Factory) 24/11/11
Pachipara 3D (Irem Software) 24/11/11
Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo) 01/12/11
Cooking Mama 4 (Majesco) 01/12/11
Crayon Shin-Chan: Uchuu de Achoo!? Yuujou no Oba-Karate!! (Bandai Namco) 01/12/11
Need for Speed: the Run (Electronic Arts) 01/12/11
Ocha-Ken to Itsumo na Kayoshi (Nippon Columbia) 01/12/11
New Love Plus (Konami) 08/12/11
Sonic Generations (Sega) 08/12/11
Monster Hunter 3G (Capcom) 10/12/11
Inazuma Eleven GO: Dark / Shine (Level 5) 15/12/11
Minna de Auto Racing 3D (Intergrow) 15/12/11
Moe Moe Daisensou * Gendaiban 3D (System Soft) 15/12/11
Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-Kun Special (Arc System Works) 15/12/11
SD Gundam G Generation 3D (Bandai Namco) 22/12/11
F1 2011 (Codemasters) 22/12/11

Titles still slated for 2011, but without a release date

ESSE Rakuraku Kakeibo (IE Institute) November 2011
Rune Factory 4 (Marvelous Entertainment) 2011
Girls RPG: Cinderella's Story (Level 5) 2011

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
AgentChris said:
With a new Pokemon waiting in the wings this is Nintendomination.
The funny thing is it will almost certainly be announced in December, as the Pokemon company will attend for the 1st time to Jump Festa.

What's crazy about 3DS situation in Japan is the lineup following the Q4 onslaught. Animal Crossing, Luigi's mansion, PES, a brand new AAA Resident Evil, Kid Icarus, MGS3, some Level 5 games, etc. are following the next quarter.

People buying a 3DS for must haves such as Mario Kart or Monster Hunter, will still have great games to stick on the 3DS platform for a while. Consequently, there may be less multi handhelds owners than during the DS/PSP era.

BurntPork

Banned
Chris1964 said:
Old / new price

Code:
|  | MCreate  | MCreate  |
|  |   3DS    |   3DS    |
|Wk|2011.02.26|2011.08.08|
|  |    to    |    to    |
|  |2011.08.07|2012.01.22|
| 1|   374.764|   196.077|
| 2|   209.623|   105.639|
| 3|    96.463|    60.781|
| 4|    61.394|    54.744|
| 5|    50.710|    49.076|
| 6|    42.979|    58.837|
| 7|    32.910|    70.159|
| 8|    28.252|          |
| 9|    23.038|          |
|10|    28.413|          |
|11|    29.149|          |
|12|    18.324|          |
|13|    17.240|          |
|14|    24.283|          |
|15|    27.357|          |
|16|    24.649|          |
|17|    40.649|          |
|18|    27.905|          |
|19|    30.233|          |
|20|    22.943|          |
|21|    46.637|          |
|22|    31.826|          |
|23|    16.415|          |
|24|     4.132|          |

http://i.imgur.com/TWGMs.png
It seems that Nintendo made those announcements at the perfect time to avoid a loss of momentum.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Alextended said:
Why do some titles get listed with the Western names? Even though they aren't actually planned for the West? Monster Hunter Freedom 3 instead of Monster Hunter Portable 3rd is what I'm talking about.
For Capcom the name Monster Hunter Freedom 3 exists.
In the Consumer Online Games business this fiscal year, which is a core operational department, the flagship title "Monster Hunter Freedom 3" marked the fastest selling in the PSP history with a total shipment of more than 4.6 million units and played the lead role in improving Capcom's business performance.
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e110506c.html

Mpl90

marc^o^ said:
The funny thing is it wil almost certainly be announced in December, as the Pokemon company will attend for the 1st time to Jump Festa.

What's crazy about 3DS situation in Japan is the lineup following the Q4 onslaught. Animal Crossing, Luigi's mansion, PES, a brand new AAA Resident Evil, Kid Icarus, MGS3, some Level 5 games, etc. are following the next quarter.

People buying a 3DS for must haves such as Mario Kart or Monster Hunter, will still have great games to stick on the 3DS platform for a while. Consequently, there may be less multi handhelds owners than during the DS/PSP era.

Here's the lineup after December M3DNESS

Kid Icarus Uprising (Nintendo) January 2012
Animal Crossing (Nintendo) Q1 2012
Luigi's Mansion 2 (Nintendo) Q1 2012
Resident Evil: Revelations (Capcom) Q1 2012
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D (Konami) Q1 2012
Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy (Square Enix) Q1 2012
Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai (Sega) March 2012
Fire Emblem (Nintendo) Spring 2012
Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance (Square Enix) Spring 2012
Paper Mario (Nintendo) 2012
Mario Tennis (2012)
Style Savvy (Nintendo) 2012
Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo) 2012
Culdcept (Nintendo) 2012
Calcio bit (Nintendo) 2012
Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D (Square Enix) 2012
Dynasty Warriors VS (Koei Tecmo) 2012
Bravery Default: Flying Fairy (Square Enix) 2012
Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright (Level 5) 2012
Fantasy Life (Level 5) 2012
Time Travellers (Level 5) 2012
Beyond the Labyrinth (Konami) 2012

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Pancakes R Us said:
Anyone know what the original DS hit sales numbers wise in its first year in Japan? I recall around 5 million.
DS launced in December. It couldn't have sold 5 million. Next year it sold 4 million

Takao

Banned
manueldelalas said:
I think this time Sony has it a lot more difficult than last time, and I have seen key support for the PSP that is missing here, S-E are supporting the 3DS a lot more this time (I haven't seen a FFVII spin off on VITA, and KH 3DS looks a serious effort this time), Konami is using it as a machine that can play HD remakes made for another console (that means, a worse experience) and let's not even begin with Capcom...

Err, I'd say the jury's still out on SE's support for Vita. The fact that they'll actually have things ready for launch (it doesn't matter if it's internal or not) is a bigger indicator of "See you soon!" than what the PSP got outside of the Crisis Core announcement.

I think they'll have big original Vita projects in production, but are just holding off on announcing them for a variety of possible reasons (they could cut in to sales of an original release, or are too early in development).

As for your downport theory, who's going to want buy a downport on 3DS when a better running version is available? It's not going to be like the differences that 360 and PS3 games faced. It's going to be worse. As well, there's certain studios that likely will never support the 3DS in any meaningful way.

BurntPork

Banned
Alrus said:
Mario Kart and 2D Mario have much much more appeal in the west than Uncharted or anything else in the launch lineup... CoD is a big question mark because we don't know if huge sales on home console will translate in huge sales on a handheld (and even if sold really well, the PSP had GTA games and that still didn't really save it in the long term).
Vita having dual analog and HD graphics makes this a whole different situation. Even if it only sells half as much as it does on console, it'll really push sales. If it's a console port and it lets you share stats with the PS3 version, it's going to push Vita sky-high.

Takao said:
Err, I'd say the jury's still out on SE's support for Vita. The fact that they'll actually have things ready for launch (it doesn't matter if it's internal or not) is a bigger indicator of "See you soon!" than what the PSP got outside of the Crisis Core announcement.

I think they'll have big original Vita projects in production, but are just holding off on announcing them for a variety of possible reasons (they could cut in to sales of an original release, or are too early in development).

As for your downport theory, who's going to want buy a downport on 3DS when a better running version is available? It's not going to be like the differences that 360 and PS3 games faced. It's going to be worse. As well, there's certain studios that likely will never support the 3DS in any meaningful way.
People who don't own a vita but do own a 3ds will buy the 3ds version obviously

BurntPork said:
Vita having dual analog and HD graphics makes this a whole different situation. Even if it only sells half as much as it does on console, it'll really push sales. If it's a console port and it lets you share stats with the PS3 version, it's going to push Vita sky-high.
You assume that anyone who already owns the ps3 version of a game will also buy the vita version?

BurntPork

Banned
frankie_baby said:
You assume that anyone who already owns the ps3 version of a game will also buy the vita version?
In the case of CoD? Definitely. For other games, they'll have to consider packing them together.

Takao said:

I feel like with Sony's lack of release announcements at TGS, they would have definitely announced anything and everything that had a chance of coming out on the console. If SE had some big secret project coming up for Vita down the line, we would have known about it.

qq more

BurntPork said:
In the case of CoD? Definitely. For other games, they'll have to consider packing them together.
...I don't honestly think most CoD people will give a shit about handheld releases.

gkryhewy

BurntPork said:
Vita COD selling half of the console versions? Of either console version? You are absolutely out of your mind. I am speechless.

thestopsign said:
I feel like with Sony's lack of release announcements at TGS, they would have definitely announced anything and everything that had a chance of coming out on the console. If SE had some big secret project coming up for Vita down the line, we would have known about it.
I think Nomura has too much on his plate to announce his PSVita plans.

Takao

Banned
thestopsign said:

SCEJ's conference was weird, and terrible. It wasn't a vote of confidence, but I don't know how much stock we can place in to that. Falcom's Kiseki series is going to be on Vita, yet the considerably lower key Ys IV remake got the nod at the conference. Which makes little sense. It seemed to me that the SCEJ TGS conference was mostly interested in promoting software coming out within the first year, of which likely would never be a big SE game.

BurntPork

Banned
Actually, you guys are right. My bad.

... At least until Sony release a 4G LTE (or even HSPA+) Vita that lets you game online anywhere.

Orayn

BurntPork said:
Actually, you guys are right. My bad.

... At least until Sony release a 4G LTE (or even HSPA+) Vita that lets you game online anywhere.
Even with LTE, latency would be pretty bad.

marc^o^

Mpl90 said:
Here's the lineup after December M3DNESS

Kid Icarus Uprising (Nintendo) January 2012
Animal Crossing (Nintendo) Q1 2012
Luigi's Mansion 2 (Nintendo) Q1 2012
Resident Evil: Revelations (Capcom) Q1 2012
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D (Konami) Q1 2012
Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy (Square Enix) Q1 2012
Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai (Sega) March 2012
Fire Emblem (Nintendo) Spring 2012
Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance (Square Enix) Spring 2012
Paper Mario (Nintendo) 2012
Mario Tennis (2012)
Style Savvy (Nintendo) 2012
Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo) 2012
Culdcept (Nintendo) 2012
Calcio bit (Nintendo) 2012
Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D (Square Enix) 2012
Dynasty Warriors VS (Koei Tecmo) 2012
Bravery Default: Flying Fairy (Square Enix) 2012
Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright (Level 5) 2012
Fantasy Life (Level 5) 2012
Time Travellers (Level 5) 2012
Beyond the Labyrinth (Konami) 2012
What about 3D 60fps Tekken, Rayman, Ace Combat? Q4 releases as well in Japan?

M3d10n

BurntPork said:
Vita still eats 3DS alive in terms of games that appeal to western gamers, so it's still up in the air. If Nintendo doesn't get more third-party titles out that can sell in the west, we could see Vita dominate.
The appeal of these games on a handheld is still unproven, however. Western publishers seem to think so as well because right now Western Vita 3rd party support amounts to vague title announcements with no media whatsoever.

BurntPork said:
Even if it only sells half as much as it does on console, it'll really push sales.
Half as much base on what? It's a new platform with zero installed base.

BurntPork said:
If it's a console port and it lets you share stats with the PS3 version, it's going to push Vita sky-high.
A feature that requires people to buy two copies of the same game? I doubt it.

marc^o^ said:
All doomed to bomba because they are coming in the same month as a Monster Hunter *and* Mario Kart game.

Alrus

I think that if Square had a big Vita game to announce, they would have done it just like they announced KH 3D well before the 3DS launched. I don't see why Square would suddenly have an issue with announcing game "too early".

In place of a big announcement they'd rather show a sequel to a game that sold awfully and had a terrible reception (Lords of Apocalypse) and a Pikmin clone that looks like a PSP up-port? FF X HD is nice but it's also on PS3 and it's also a pretty safe bet for Square.

If they had more confidence in the platform they would announce at least one big project for it, or Sony would have "asked" them to. Right now they're probably doing a Wait and See approach...

BurntPork

Banned
Orayn said:
Even with LTE, latency would be pretty bad.
Forgot about latency...

Uh... Bioshock on the go should...... You know, I'll just wait until it comes out. It's way too hard to predict anything.

M3d10n

BurntPork said:
Forgot about latency...

Uh... Bioshock on the go should...... You know, I'll just wait until it comes out. It's way too hard to predict anything.
Western 3rd parties are obviously waiting to see how the likes of Uncharted will perform before deciding which support strategy to adopt for the device.

Mpl90

marc^o^ said:

...I knew I forgot something :lol
Too many games, really XD

marc^o^

Mpl90 said:
...I knew I forgot something :lol
Too many games, really XD
It seems PES 2012 is Q4 as well. Still no news about an online mode makes me fear it won't have one.

Ragus

Banned
In 2, 3 years time I'd love to see LTTP "3DS is doomed" thread where we would post articles and maybe even posts from GAF while laughing our asses off.

M3d10n said:
Western 3rd parties are obviously waiting to see how the likes of Uncharted will perform before deciding which support strategy to adopt for the device.

They wait to decide whether to support it and then not support it no matter how much it sells like the Wii or Dreamcast (On opposite ends of the spectrum sales-wise but both had the wait-and-see thing going on)

M3d10n said:

They've already chosen iOS, doesn't matter how well 3DS or Vita do.

BTW, I know I already posted this in the other thread but for posterity's sake, one more time!

bouncing_ad.jpg

hatchx

Banned
marc^o^ said:
The funny thing is it will almost certainly be announced in December, as the Pokemon company will attend for the 1st time to Jump Festa.

Woah woah woah, let's not get carried away.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Ragus said:
In 2, 3 years time I'd love to see LTTP "3DS is doomed" thread where we would post articles and maybe even posts from GAF while laughing our asses off.

It will happen. It always does.

hatchx

Banned
Ragus said:

It won't ever be as funny as DS.

As much as I think 3DS will take off, I really don't see how it will ever beat the first DS. The first DS had commercials with Nicole Kidman and tons of book-style/learning games.

3DS is a gamers machine. I can see it matching or beating Game Boy Advanced and being a big success, but I really can't ever see it beating DS. I'd love to eat crow on that one.

hatchx said:

As much as I think 3DS will take off, I really don't see how it will ever beat the first DS. The first DS had commercials with Nicole Kidman and tons of book-style/learning games.

3DS is a gamers machine. I can see it matching or beating Game Boy Advanced and being a big success, but I really can't ever see it beating DS. I'd love to eat crow on that one.

No one is expecting that...
The DS was a beast beyond comparison.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
hatchx said:

I think Nintendo would be pretty happy with a higher than GBA install base. DS was God-tier.

Top Bottom