• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2012 (Sep 17 - Sep 23)

test_account

XP-39C²
One plays like lukewarm feces, the other doesn't. Not hard to grasp.
Do you really think it is that difficult to play LBP? Honest question. Yes, the controls can feel a bit floaty sometimes, but personally i've beaten both LBP1 and 2 without any big problems. And have you played LBP Vita? If not, how can you speak about the game that you havnt tried? The smaller and more sensitive analog sticks actually makes the game easier to control in my opinion.

Not with SCEA product approval. Peace Walker was forced into a collection and lol @ MHP3rd.
I dont know about product apporval, but the price shouldnt be a problem. The PS2 HD collections are well under $60 :)

Well I've only ever seen people play Singstar at parties so I'm not too sure, I guess you could turn down the volume of the lyrics so it's a real Karaoke. My point was that people usually have the lyrics from the track playing so loudly you can't even hear them singing, where Karaoke is supposed to mean "empty orchestra", you know as in you don't have the original artist singing in the back. Or since it's about scoring points (most Karaoke joints have that yeah, but you're supposed to have fun singing not trying to break highscores :D), you could cheat Singstar -like the DS- by just blowing instead of singing.

Probably it's an example of the people just "doing it wrong".
Of course a disc release also has the problem of limited songs, with online services that doesn't fly anymore, and as you said Sony would probably license themselves into limbo, especially since companies like Joysound already distribute Karaoke on any device you can think of. No Singstar in Japan puzzles anyone, but they're probably right in that it never was worth the effort.
I see. I've hardly played Singstar myself, so i cant say. I tried it one time maybe 5-6 years ago.

liger05

Vita falling behind the dreamcast really does hit home just how bad things are.

At least sega actually tried with the dreamcast!!

It's not any worse than people saying LBP sucks. LBP was a new IP something that Nintendo is allergic to. It's also incredibly fun and different and its value today years after release is immense. People wanting it to fail while cheering for NSMB 2 really astound me.
Nintendo is allergic to new ips? is this the part where I list all of the new ips and ips they revived after 15+ years this past generation and you'll say they don't count as they're for casual gamers.

jman2050

I don't think LBP is terrible, just mediocre. Ambitious in its creation and social aspects but woefully run of the mill game design. And no, attempts to make vague approximations of other completely unrelated genres or levels that are kinda maybe sorta reminiscient of levels from much better games by random people is not even worth considering.

It's one of the mist aesthetically pleasing platformers I've played though. That's one aspect MM nailed from the getgo.

Cipherr

They were (Rightfully) terrible. They've been posted on the first page, about 10k. Edit : 16k now according to Takao.

People surprised about the poor performance of LBP puzzle me. LBP was bad, LBP2 was even worse despite its prety good "game editor" and LBP PSP was just dreadfull. Do you really believe gamers are going to keep giving the franchise the benefit of the doubt after three mediocre to bad games? I know I won't.

Such a shame, never forget:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Taiurn541SE

That GDC trailer had people dieing to get their hands on it.

LBP is not a platformer.

Indeed, and its a crying shame....

LOL Ok, time will tell.

Oh, and there is also a very high possibility of MH Vita. We will see what happens after MH4 (not talking about its sales, but post announcements).

So we are still with that now? Ok... Anyway, even assuming Vita gets a MH game of any kind after MH4 has done its thing, it will be to late. Vita is ready to be taken off life support already. Some major game 1+ year from now wont be enough to breath life into the corpse at that point anyway.

Pikma

Banned
It's not any worse than people saying LBP sucks. LBP was a new IP something that Nintendo is allergic to. It's also incredibly fun and different and its value today years after release is immense. People wanting it to fail while cheering for NSMB 2 really astound me.

Xenoblade.

Vita falling behind the dreamcast really does hit home just how bad things are.

At least sega actually tried with the dreamcast!!

What? really? Can someone post those numbers?

Fucking hell, the Vita situation pisses me off.

I secretly enjoy mediocre selling gaming systems a little, because it speeds up the pricecut process. It's only then that I bite, and by then there's a decent game catalog as well.

But with the Vita, things are just ... too much. If things keep up this way, there won't even be a reason to buy the handheld, even if its priced absurdly low. The release calendar for the Vita is just piss poor.

You know there have been more recent examples, right? Naming a game that they sent to die at release over 2 years ago probably hurts your case more than it helps.

Xenoblade was released after LBP, so it makes Dragons "argument" look pretty dumb (also is it really worth shitting up the thread with lists of new Nintendo IP's, most people know that they exist).

Isnt that part of Xenosaga? But you do have other IPs, like Pandora's Tower, The Last Story, Steeeeel Diver (i always read this as Riiiidge Racer :)) and all the Wii Sports/Party/Fit games.
No, as Namco owns the rights to the series. The title was to pay homage. Also nintendoland, friend collection, brain training, art academy, style savy, captain rainbow, and some more I'm sure I'm missing.

Opiate

Its the perfect example of how to design a console, the tech itself is fantastic.

I really don't agree. I think people much too closely associated the idea of "great hardware" with "powerful and can produces great graphics."

Unfortunately great hardware doesn't sell itself, games do.

And why do you think there are so few games? Because I would suggest that the hardware is a large part of the reason the Vita is having so much trouble getting those games.

tkscz

Looks like the Hatsune Miku hype has gone down for the Vita, sadly all who got that game did not pick up LBP. That sucks so much.

Oh so this is what these threads are now. Oh and the constant shitting on LBP is annoying as hell to read. I don't like LBP either, but I don't go in a sales thread talking about how shitty it is over and over.

pramath

Banned
I keep hearing about how great Vita hardware is but I seldom see if proven.

It was supposed to be a portable PS3, but doesn't come anywhere near it.

I hope sales improve so maybe developers will put a little more time into the titles.

So what exactly is the japanese flagship vita title for the fall?

09/27 Japan Chikyuu Boueigun 3 Portable
DJ Max Technika Tune
NextRev: Shakai Fukushishi Shiken
Nikoli no Puzzle V: Yajilin
Nobunaga no Yabou: Tendou with Power-Up Kit
Ys: Celceta no Jukai
10/18 Japan Danball Senki W
Eiyuu Densetsu: Zero no Kiseki Evolution
FIFA 13: World Class Soccer
10/25 Japan NextRev: Kaigo Fukushishi Shiken
Street Fighter X Tekken
11/15 Japan Assassin's Creed III: Lady Liberty
Need for Speed Most Wanted (Criterion)
11/29 Japan Fate/Stay Night [Realta Nua]
Power Smash 4 (Sega the Best)
Samurai & Dragons (Deluxe Package Ryuuzoku Kourin)
Totori no Atelier Plus: Arland no Renkinjutsushi 2
12/20 Japan AKB1/153: Love Election

You decide. I wouldn't ever call any of this stuff flagship on any other platform.

BadWolf

I hope sales improve so maybe developers will put a little more time into the titles.

No, it wasn't.

Takao

Banned
No, as Namco owns the rights to the series. The title was to pay homage. Also nintendoland, friend collection, brain training, art academy, style savy, captain rainbow, and some more I'm sure I'm missing.

This is NeoGAF dude. Most of those are like listing Sony's Move games as examples to their dedication to new IPs, which is to say no one on this forum cares about them. You'd be better off listing things like Day of Crisis, Starfy, The Last Story and Fossil Fighters.

So what exactly is the japanese flagship vita title for the fall?

*crickets*

Yeah, some good stuff but nothing flagship material.

Only known title that can be considered that at present is maybe Soul Sacrifice, but that's a brand new IP so yeah.

And that's not coming out this year. Nothing on that list will break 100k and most of it won't break 50k .

Edit: I can't believe the Nintendo doesn't create new IP argument still exists. Just because they aren't games you like doesn't invalidate the shit ton of new IPs Nintendo has made this generation between Wii and DS. Hell they created the most important new IP this gen.

test_account

XP-39C²
I see.

Does bootstrapping a name from an existing series count as a new IP? It used to be called Monado of the World before taking on the Xeno~ monkier.
If it has absolutely nothing to do with the lore of Xenosaga and just share similar names, i'd say it is a new IP.

I though the game design industry consensus was "Sony really listened this time!" The price of the 3DS and the proliferation of smartphones is what made the vita DOA. Lack of games is a result of that.

test_account

XP-39C²

But you have seen it being proven, just not often? :)

It wasnt suppose to be a portable PS3 if you talk about in terms of power. The "being like a portable PS3" is about being able to play similar games because of dual analog. Several of upcoming games are crossplatform with Vita/PS3, so this statement is true.

I though the game design industry consensus was "Sony really listened this time!" The price of the 3DS and the proliferation of smartphones is what made the vita DOA. Lack of games is a result of that.

It seems to be a device perfect for western developers, but in a market that western developers/publishers have very little interest in being in.

I don't know... but Soul Sacrifice is coming out in a few months I believe.

If by a few you mean 6 yes.

On the subject of Vita;s design, the second they decided to launch a year late, and not only launch a year late but miss Christmas in the territory where they actually decent support they screwed themselves over. The writing has been on the wall long before Vita released. Sony was just able to cover it up with a good looking launch.

Zen

Banned

In realtive power for beign able to replicate the experiences on a handheld? Are you just looking at launch software? LBP Vita and Virtua Tennis are certainly 1:1.

Pikma

Banned
You know there have been more recent examples, right? Naming a game that they sent to die at release over 2 years ago probably hurts your case more than it helps.

What's wrong with mentioning a 2 year old game? LBP is older than that and it's still proof of all the new IPs Sony created this gen.

Pushmo, Denpa Ningen, Sakura Samurai, Rolling Western, Freakyforms. Do those count?

Don't forget Harmoknight.

Acosta

I really don't agree. I think people much too closely associated the idea of "great hardware" with "powerful and can produces great graphics."

And why do you think there are so few games? Because I would suggest that the hardware is a large part of the reason the Vita is having so much trouble getting those games.

Could you develop on that Opiate?

I think it´s a great hardware not only because power, which it´s nice, but for it's overall design. Double stick, good d-pad, fantastic screen, quality build... I would be happy with it even if it had PSP power (which is pretty much the case as I play PSP games the most on it).

Sid

Those are some system sellers you guys just listed.Something doesn't add up here,how can sony leave the platform lineup so barren for the holidays in japan especially when it's selling so terribly?

Those are some system sellers you guys just listed.Something doesn't add up here,how can sony leave the platform lineup so barren for the holidays in japan especially when it's selling so terribly?

They don't have the resources to support the system. That is the honest truth of it.

Zero148

has NSMB2 stabilized its weekly sales at about 40k? If it sells like this into the holidays it could get a sales bumb at the end of the year. Can it get to 2 million until the end of december?

1150k now, 8 times 40k for October and November and it would start with 1470k in Dezember. Should be tough to reach 2 million.

Do we btw have numbers for its digital sales?

edit:
yay, no more junior member

Bulzeeb

Does bootstrapping a name from an existing series count as a new IP? It used to be called Monado of the World before taking on the Xeno~ monkier.

the game was always called Xenoblade in Japan, Monado was just provisional name used by NOA and the game ahs nothing to do with the Xenosaga games besides the same developers.

Oh, they also anounced that rhythm/platforming game by gamefreak

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

During the PSP era, Sony never invested heavily in making major exclusives for the platform, and now they're dealing with the results of actually not having any brands that can help sell their system.

Nintendo had the strength to pull the 3DS out of its hole, but Sony is entirely reliant on third parties.

Since third parties felt that the 3DS and iOS/Android were the more attractive handheld options relative to their budgets and the audience, they moved their major franchises over, and Sony had nothing to put out to build up an audience on Vita that publishers might want to make games for.

The PSP benefited a lot from the PS2 and the fact that the DS couldn't do a lot of game genres very well. The PS2 meant that Japanese developers had a ton of art assets that could be modified to use on PSP along with a positive brand association halo effect, and the DS actually couldn't replicate an experience like Monster Hunter even if Capcom wanted it to. These days, the 3DS has sold a ton and can do everything the PSP did and more. The PS3 also isn't a hugely dominant system like the PS2 was, so there isn't a huge art asset and technology base for every Japanese publisher to harvest from and there is no brand association halo effect. At this point, there's basically no notable advantage the Vita offers Japanese portable developers, and thus it has basically no notable content.

Sony is finally trying to build brands that they own in the portable space, but they're starting when they're sitting in a forty foot hole and Nintendo has already set up a skyscraper. Could they dig the system out of its current situation? I mean, anything is possible, but it's also highly improbable.

They don't have the resources to support the system. That is the honest truth of it.

I'm sure Sony does, but they are being wasted.

Nintendo was able to support N64 and GC without tremendous help from third parties all the while supporting GBC, GBA and DS with great games.

Sony might have hoped for a "release it and forget it" type of success, but third parties have been finding huge success on other platforms and don't need to rely and prop up Sony's machines. This came to bite them in the ass, and they better learn from it if they want PS4 to stand a chance against Xbox720 and WiiU.

Acosta

During the PSP era, Sony never invested heavily in making major exclusives for the platform, and now they're dealing with the results of actually not having any brands that can help sell their system.

Nintendo had the strength to pull the 3DS out of its hole, but Sony is entirely reliant on third parties.

Since third parties felt that the 3DS and iOS/Android were the more attractive handheld options relative to their budgets and the audience, they moved their major franchises over, and Sony had nothing to put out to build up an audience on Vita that publishers might want to make games for.

The PSP benefited a lot from the PS2 and the fact that the DS couldn't do a lot of game genres very well. The PS2 meant that Japanese developers had a ton of art assets that could be modified to use on PSP along with a positive brand association halo effect, and the DS actually couldn't replicate an experience like Monster Hunter even if Capcom wanted it to. These days, the 3DS has sold a ton and can do everything the PSP did and more. The PS3 also isn't a hugely dominant system like the PS2 was, so there isn't a huge art asset and technology base for every Japanese publisher to harvest from and there is no brand association halo effect. At this point, there's basically no notable advantage the Vita offers Japanese portable developers, and thus it has basically no notable content.

That's a really good take.

jmls1121

Banned

Pushmo, Dillon, etc.

The list goes on and on

But "LOLZ NINTENDOZE ONLY MAKE MARIO/ZELDA ROFL" is a meme that will never die.

jman2050

Sony is finally trying to build brands that they own in the portable space, but they're starting when they're sitting in a forty foot hole and Nintendo has already set up a skyscraper. Could they dig the system out of its current situation? I mean, anything is possible, but it's also highly improbable.

The sad part is that half of this forum called exactly what would happen before the system was even officially announced.

pramath

Banned
So I don't really follow these threads much but it looks pretty grim if Vita is doing DC numbers.

What are the chances do you feel that it will get discontinued?

I bought a Vita at launch and hope that it doesn't come to that.

Sid

Sony is finally trying to build brands that they own in the portable space, but they're starting when they're sitting in a forty foot hole and Nintendo has already set up a skyscraper. Could they dig the system out of its current situation? I mean, anything is possible, but it is highly improbable.
They should have acquired third party games like god eater,monster hunter etc. if they can't sell the systems all by themselves,not drawing out a long term plan for the vita is coming back to bite them in the ass,the support will decline a lot by next year.

They have the resources for such large scale console development can't they just move some of them over to the vita?

Its difficult to answer that tbh; Sony should have planned more support from their decision to go for Vita (but I don't think much of a strategy was put in place for this system), at this point their heading into 2013 with big debts, more losses and the entire company in upheaval. There must be question within Sony as to the profitability of Vita, just as developers aren't willing to spend their cash on the systems tiny stagnant user base - Sony themselves must worry that releasing games on Vita will only mean one thing - financial losses; both in terms of wasting their employees time on a loss making enterprise when they could be releasing on PS3/PS4 and in real money terms - packaging/marketing/additional costs.

Sony don't have the resources to support Vita strongly; they don't have enough developers to develop all the games the system is lacking and they don't have the money to buy more. Theres also the simple fact that its obvious Sony didn't have a lot of development for Vita before release

Theres also got to be a huge trade off between supporting Vita and gearing for PS4; handhelds just aren't Sony's traditional gaming platform and the Vita doesn't look too promising. Sony can't get their entire company behind both - so they'll chose the one they see the most potential in. PS4.

Hero

I think there are so few games because there's little to no reason to make a PS Vita game for the cost it would take when a publisher could release a 3DS game and make more money off of it.

Top Bottom