• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2012 (Sep 17 - Sep 23)

That game in Japan has sold over 550k so I think more than all the people that bought it before and kept using it (Japan). Also is an opportunity to show developers that the device is a fertile ground for their games.

If they push it hard along with Soul Sacrifice, they have a small chance of giving it an identity/games and price more aligned with mainstream consumers. Doesn't mean I think I'll work but is a strategy worth trying.

You are aware god eater 2 is also coming out on PSP ?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
GE 2 is sort of borked for helping out the Vita because of its PSP release. It'll clear a decent amount on that and do almost nothing on Vita.

jman2050

Gran turismo can help in this situation since it sold so well on the psp and a full gt on the vita would be even more promising.

A) lol at GT PSP selling well

B) The Vita probably won't be around by 2018, whether it is successful or not.

Takao

Banned
Oh i thought it did well there,nvm.

Here are Sony's shipments for GT PSP:

1) Asia (outside Japan) - 50k
2) Japan - 350k (which sounds quite over shipped based off of previous MC data)
3) North America - 960k
4) Europe - 2.25 million

Total: 3.61 million worldwide

Unless of course Sony have millions of unsold vitas sat in their warehouse by then, not much point making a revision then is there

They don't. That's not how production lines work.

The problem with this is that MH4 is coming out this spring.

Which is as good as opportunity as any to present to that massive user base that they can get served better in those types of experiences on their superior hardware. Position the games head to head and push that comparison hard. Hardly anyone cares/notices the vita. The possible controversy/discussions would help the system to get in the mainstream perception. They should exploit this, no shy away from it.

What your ouya-type (android powered?) 99$ handheld without full experiences/$40 games has to offer of unique? Sounds like it is a very bad plan, to be between smartphones (as a portable gaming system, it comes virtually at an extra 0$ for the price of a phone or a tablet) and the 3DS.

Playstation Phone, but drop the phone part and replace it with better controls and games.

test_account

XP-39C²
I think that could have happened if they'd put all their efforts behind Playstation Mobile. Now I'm not sure of the future of either Playstation Mobile or PSVita.
Playstation Mobile is designed to be a platform for many devices, mostly touch based only systems (cellphones and tablets). It is possible to have support for buttons too, but the developers must have in mind that the games should work with touch based systems only as well. Unless the developers feel that virtual buttons on-screen is good enough, this would eliminate most support for retail "full games". I have no idea how the market would respond to such a system.

As with everything to do with the various product approval boards, you won't find any official public doc on this. Best bet is to look for devs interviews where things slip.

I believe this was the chief reason why Peace Walker HD was included in the western HD Collections rather than given a standalone release like in Japan. It's also one of the reasons MH3rd HD wasn't released here.
Any link to those dev interviews would do fine too :) I tried to search on Google, but didnt find anything :\

About Peace Walker HD, it could be a reason yeah. About Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, i read that it is more about that the game doesnt support trophies and the ad-hoc stuff for this game doesnt work like it does in Japan. I'm not sure if these are determain factors for this release though.

AniHawk

Is it conceivable that Sony continues to prop up Vita for years to come like how Microsoft subsidized the presence of 360 in Japan even though it didn't sell?

i find this unlikely if the machine doesn't find any success out west. currently it appears it isn't doing well overseas.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Which is as good as opportunity as any to present to that massive user base that they can get served better in those types of experiences on their superior hardware. Position the games head to head and push that comparison hard. Hardly anyone cares/notices the vita. The possible controversy/discussions would help the system to get in the mainstream perception. They should exploit this, no shy away from it.

Now you are just getting silly and resembling bad Sony PR.

They don't. That's not how production lines work.

t.

You (and I for that matter) have no way of knowing how many they have unsold, its quite possible if their production lines were set up to meet their ridiculous shipment targets then its likely they're sitting on a huge and fast growing pile by now I dread to think what it'd be like by spring

jman2050

oh this is hilarious.

Do you know who will care about that in 2013?
More people than those who would care for a Vita version.

It should not be a shock when it is announced that Sony has put a halt on PSV production simple due to having too many unsold units. You can't keep producing units if stores aren't buying them. It could happen within the year.

Nintendo had to do it for the GC midway through it's life.

Whether if it is temporary or not depends on how fast current supply sells out.

Do you know who will care about that in 2013? Do you think that they'll promote the PSP version? Do we know if they'll be released on the same date? Too many unknowns for that.

When everyone and their dog already has a PSP (especially god eater fans for some strange reason) will anybody actually bother buying a vita for it, also isn't it just an upresed straight port?

I have no idea how the market would respond to such a system.

Me neither, but what's the worst that could happen? ;)
As I implied it would rely on Playstation Mobile being a big thing, and just offer the manual controls for games which benefit them, much like a second hand xperia play would.

Pikma

Banned
Do you know who will care about that in 2013? Do you think that they'll promote the PSP version? Do we know if they'll be released on the same date? Too many unknowns for that.

Do you think they will send to die the only version with a realistic chance of doing great? Because they want to sell less copies, right?

Now you are just getting silly and resembling bad Sony PR.

Am I? Then how would you do it then? To me it makes sense. It worked for EA with Battlefield and MOH and that was against COD which is a stronger IP than MH.

You (and I for that matter) have no way of knowing how many they have unsold, its quite possible if their production lines were set up to meet their ridiculous shipment targets then its likely they're sitting on a huge and fast growing pile by now I dread to think what it'd be like by spring

Then it makes no sense making that the focus of the discussions. Is more likely they don't, unless you can provide sources for this claim.

People that care? Everyone who has a PSP.

And 'better-served'? No. "Hey, you know that huge franchise you love and play with all your friends? Yeah, we don't have that but here's something that's sorta kinda similar!"

Am I? Then how would you do it then? To me it makes sense. It worked for EA with Battlefield and MOH and that was against COD which is a stronger IP than MH.

Then it makes no sense making that the focus of the discussions. Is more likely they don't, unless you can provide sources for this claim.

I think most people would agree that its far more likely that they do in fact have a shit tonne of them sat unloved in the back of a warehouse somewhere

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
GT PSP didn't sell very well in Japan. Like the proper GT releases its most fertile ground was Europe, which I suspect will keep Vita around for a bit due to things like the Invizimals cartoon.

Yeah, in my mind Europe would be the main potential market for the Vita at this point because it's the only region where Sony's sales strength and internal developer strength actually overlap, and a region where the PSP was surprisingly resilient despite its library (in relativistic terms).

On the third party front, games like Assassin's Creed and a full quality Need For Speed would also have a lot more relevance in that market.

Now, I'm not saying it will be successful in Europe, just that I feel this is the region Sony might want to double down on if they're going to keep the system going.

Takao

Banned
Yeah, in my mind Europe would be the main potential market for the Vita at this point because it's the only region where Sony's sales strength and internal developer strength actually overlap, and a region where the PSP was surprisingly resilient despite its library (in relativistic terms).

On the third party front, games like Assassin's Creed and a full quality Need For Speed would also have a lot more relevance in that market.

Now, I'm not saying it will be successful in Europe, just that I feel this is the region Sony might want to double down on.

It's kind of crazy that SCEE of all SCE divisions is the one publishing new PSP titles in 2012.

test_account

XP-39C²
Me neither, but what's the worst that could happen? ;)
As I implied it would rely on Playstation Mobile being a big thing, and just offer the manual controls for games which benefit them, much like a second hand xperia play would.
Well, the system could flop big time hehe, that is the worst thing that could happen =) Yeah, many things would also have to be right for a $99 system like this to be able to succeed.

pramath

Banned
It should not be a shock when it is announced that Sony has put a halt on PSV production simple due to having too many unsold units. You can't keep producing units if stores aren't buying them. It could happen within the year.

Nintendo had to do it for the GC midway through it's life.

Whether if it is temporary or not depends on how fast current supply sells out.

It's gonna get ugly in here if that happens.

When everyone and their dog already has a PSP (especially god eater fans for some strange reason) will anybody actually bother buying a vita for it, also isn't it just an upresed straight port?

You can watch the screen shot to see if it is an upraised port. It doesn't look like that to me.

Do you think they will send to die the only version with a realistic chance of doing great? Because they want to sell less copies, right?

Disagree. How many people are going to buy the PSP to play this? How many would need to buy a Vita? It makes business sense for Sony to drive people to Vita because of their long term wellbeing, and they will.

Disagree. How many people are going to buy the PSP to play this? How many would need to buy a Vita? It makes business sense for Sony to drive people to Vita because of their long term wellbeing, and they will.
The point is that people don't need to buy a PSP to play GE 2. They already have one. It's Namco Bandai's game anyway-THEY'LL drive consumers to the game, not Sony.

This...this isnt the same thing at all? They pushed a similar, established brand on hardware that was already out there?
and a New IP as well. I focus on the similarities, you on the differences.

People that care? Everyone who has a PSP.

And 'better-served'? No. "Hey, you know that huge franchise you love and play with all your friends? Yeah, we don't have that but here's something that's sorta kinda similar!"

Where are these people? The sales of PSP software has bottomed out, nothing is making big numbers and the hardware sales are also way down year over year. Just check the OP, PSP will be dead by then.

It really sounds like you don't know much about the Japanese market.
Since your knowledge is so great to tell me that it won't work. I do ask you to tell me/us how would you do it?

Nekki

Am I? Then how would you do it then? To me it makes sense. It worked for EA with Battlefield and MOH and that was against COD which is a stronger IP than MH..

Battlefield and MOH are both already established franchises (moreso BF than MOH) that were competing for the audience on the SAME system.

Totally different from Soul Sacrifice's case.

Izayoi

Banned
Is seems to me that at this point people are assuming the Vita is a walking corpse and they are just waiting for it to die so they can pick one up for $100 and buy the 4 or 5 games they were interested in.
I feel kinda bad, but this is where I'm at right now. I was going to get the White ACIII bundle, but at this rate I almost feel that waiting would be better. I'm part of the problem. :|

LOCK

has NSMB2 stabilized its weekly sales at about 40k? If it sells like this into the holidays it could get a sales bumb at the end of the year. Can it get to 2 million until the end of december?

1150k now, 8 times 40k for October and November and it would start with 1470k in Dezember. Should be tough to reach 2 million.

Do we btw have numbers for its digital sales?

edit:
yay, no more junior member

If it is still at 40K a week in November, then I believe NSMB2 will just barely pass 2 million before the end of the year.

But I believe it will behave like Animal Crossing did on the DS. Probably won't but I have a hunch.

and a New IP as well. I focus on the similarities, you on the differences.

Where are these people? The sales of PSP software has bottomed out, nothing is making big numbers and the hardware sales are also way down year over year. Just check the OP, PSP will be dead by then.
The differences vastly outweigh the similarities.

What, of note, has been released on the PSP recently? I see a port of a five year old DS game with worse load times. Hunter X Hunter which got awful reviews and a Vita game that cratered? You're implying the Vita-audience actually buys software, which really isn't the case.

What, of note, has been released on the PSP recently? I see a five year old port of a DS game with worse load times. Hunter X Hunter which got awful reviews and a Vita game that cratered? You're implying the Vita-audience actually buys software, which really isn't the case.

What game are you referring to?

What, of note, has been released on the PSP recently? I see a five year old port of a DS game with worse load times. Hunter X Hunter which got awful reviews and a Vita game that cratered? You're implying the Vita-audience actually buys software, which really isn't the case.

So you agree that no one cares about PSP? Good. The Vita audience bought Miku and Persona, they do buy software.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If they don't care about PSP then they don't even know Vita exists in comparison!

But of course they'll find out about these high quality MH clones this spring and suddenly jump to that platform instead of the one releasing the next game in their beloved franchise at the same time next year.

Kazerei

Banned

PSP may be a dead system, but it's still more alive than Vita. Both hardware and software sales in 2012 have been higher for PSP. So I can't see GE2 being a system seller for Vita when it's on PSP as well.

So you agree that no one cares about PSP? Good. The Vita audience bought Miku and Persona, they do buy software.
You mean they buy established brands that are exlusive to the platform?

And no one cares about the PSP? If you're going to continue to be obtuse, one could argue that both of these terrible games outsold the Vita's newest release. I wouldn't do this though because I don't construct obtuse arguments.

Top Bottom