• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2011 (Sep 26 - Oct 02)

BurntPork

Banned
marc^o^ said:
The author of this article uses the stock market to explain why Nintendo is doomed in the face of competition from Sony, etc.
He mentions a -50% decline YTD. It's actually -44%... vs -40% for Sony Corp. This 4% difference surely makes one company doomed, but not the other.
:p
And the fact that Sony's share price is lower than Nintendo's?

TheBranca18 said:
In fairness the author is talking about Nintendo not specifically the 3DS, at least from what I've skimmed. And the Wii continues to flounder in Japan. Getting outsold 2:1 week after week by another console is PS3-level Gamecube horribleness.
It's already sold 12 million and has almost no 3rd party support, Wii's current malaise is no surprise. It's still going to end up having outsold PS3 slightly in hardware and significantly in software overall in the end though. Yeah, totally Gamecube level there.

Takao

Banned
BurntPork said:
And the fact that Sony's share price is lower than Nintendo's?

Sony's stock price being what it is isn't necessarily due to what the PlayStation division is doing.

Dragon

Banned
lunchwithyuzo said:
It's already sold 12 million and has almost no 3rd party support, Wii's current malaise is no surprise. It's still going to end up having outsold PS3 slightly in hardware and significantly in software overall in the end though. Yeah, totally Gamecube level there.

Yeah, totally not what I typed. I never said anything about where it's going to end up, but for how well it started to see where it is now is surprising and disconcerting. It's not solely a third party problem, besides select titles Nintendo has completely abandoned it. The Wii hasn't had support from third parties most of the generation, that's not the reason it's not selling now in Japan.

BurntPork

Banned
Takao said:
Sony's stock price being what it is isn't necessarily due to what the PlayStation division is doing.
I know. The point of this is that stock price isn't a strong enough indicator of doom.

TheBranca18 said:
Yeah, totally not what I typed. I never said anything about where it's going to end up, but for how well it started to see where it is now is surprising and disconcerting. It's not solely a third party problem, besides select titles Nintendo has completely abandoned it. The Wii hasn't had support from third parties most of the generation, that's not the reason it's not selling now in Japan.
Again, I don't see what that has to do with Nintendo being "doomed."

test_account

XP-39C²
Anasui Kishibe said:
I think Xilia sold better because it was out at the right time, with the PS3 being more popular during the last months
True about the PS3, but the Wii was also fairly hot back in 2009.

GameplayWhore said:
The first Tales game on the Wii (the Symphonia sequel) was a pretty strong disappointment. The game was more like a side story or a cheap spinoff, cutting out many things that Tales fans expect from the games (like ditching the overworld). So there was a sour taste when an actual full game in the series came out.
That could be, but i'm not 100% sure that this is the main reason because the later PS3 version sold better. Or it could be that people who didnt give the Wii version a chance back in 2009 gave the PS3 version a chance instead as some time had pasted (it was about a year between the Wii and PS3 version i think). Then it sounds more plausible i think.

distantmantra said:
Some of those people already bought Graces on the Wii?
That is the version i ment :) Xillia sold nearly 3 times as much as Graces for Wii and i wonder why this happened, especially seeing that both consoles had a fairly healthy install base when both those Tales games were released.

donny2112 said:
Around Graces/FFXIII's launch, Bebpo theorized that Tales series was a follow-on to Final Fantasy, so that Tales on the Final Fantasy system would do better than Tales on the non-Final Fantasy system.

Even through FFIII remake sold 1m on NDS last gen, I think most would agree that PSP was the stronger "Final Fantasy" system with Crisis Core (FFVII prequel) and Dissidia (Final Fantasy fanservice fighter) on it, and Tales did pretty decently there. On consoles, there's no question that PS3 is the Final Fantasy system of those out there, so if Bebpo's thinking has weight in reality, it follows that Tales would naturally do better on the PS3.

That'd be one possible other reason, at least.
Yeah, i agree that this sounds like a plausible situation indeed.

BurntPork

Banned
Boney said:
why did burntpork got such a hard on for stock prices now?
I didn't. I just wanted to know if it went down in the face of 3DS doing well yet again. It entertains me. Also, the article was talking about it.

The author of that article expects Wii U to release in April, and he's not the first one. I can already tell that there are going to be a bunch "doom" articles about Wii U missing its "April target" and speculation that the "delay" is caused by major hardware issues or that it might not make it to market at all.

marc^o^ said:
The author of this article uses the stock market to explain why Nintendo is doomed in the face of competition from Sony, etc.
He mentions a -50% decline YTD. It's actually -44%... vs -40% for Sony Corp. This 4% difference surely makes one company doomed, but not the other.
:p
Yup.

donny2112

TheBranca18 said:
The Wii hasn't had support from third parties most of the generation, that's not the reason it's not selling now in Japan.

The Wii has been showing problems selling hardware since early 2008 in Japan. Lack of third-party support showed up hurting the Wii much earlier in Japan than elsewhere. It's not the current third-party support that's the reason for Wii's even further fall. It's the accumulation of years of lacking third-party support combined with Nintendo throwing in the towel (pretty much), too.

Nintendo banked on a system selling enough to warrant unique games from third-parties, and that's what they got. The problem was it was consistently the C and below tier of games with accompanying "push" that got made for the system, since the A teams were busy doing multi-platform HD releases. Wii U will fix that for multi-platform third-party releases (in terms of ease of ports), but it remains to be seen if it'll recapture the Wii-specific market along with it. *shrugs*

TheBranca18 said:
There's literally nothing "surprising" about Wii's current situation, unless you simply haven't been paying attention the past 3 years. This isn't some sudden shift, it's been a long consistent spiral down and yes, it has everything to do with 3rd parties not ever really fully embracing the platform.

I think what's more surprising is that the machine's still putting out some decent sellers (Rhythm Heaven, DQ Collection, etc) given the almost complete apathy towards the platform at this point..

Erethian

donny2112 said:
The Wii has been showing problems selling hardware since early 2008 in Japan. Lack of third-party support showed up hurting the Wii much earlier in Japan than elsewhere. It's not the current third-party support that's the reason for Wii's even further fall. It's the accumulation of years of lacking third-party support combined with Nintendo throwing in the towel (pretty much), too.

Don't know whether I'd characterise it as Nintendo throwing in the towel, so much as the lack of third-party support showing up the inadequacies of relying so heavily on first-party titles.

Nintendo can only make so many games, and support for Wii was always going to get real thin once they had to start transitioning internal development to new platforms like the 3DS or Wii U.

I think one area where Nintendo fell short is in aggressively securing third-party support through various monetary incentives, which they seem to be more willing to do these days.

M.I.S. said:
If you're going to make assertions such as this, you need to provide a link. Why would any CEO state that a product their company sells doesn't provide much profit?

You have no knowledge whatsoever (nor do I) of how long the 3DS will remain on the market. GBA only had a shelf life of 4 years before being replaced by the DS (and was quickly EOL'd rapidly) despite selling 80 million in those 4 years. And the market is much more volatile now than it was then.
The GBA wasn't killed off quickly after the DS came out just 3 1/2 years after its release, though. Quite the opposite, the GBA had a bit over two full years of first party support before finally being killed off, and third party support continued for another year past that. It ended up with a solid 5 1/2 years of good support, with one year of fading support afterwards.

It's the Game Boy Color, replaced after just 2 1/2 years, which really suffered the most as far as lifespan is concerned. Unlike the GBA, for the most part GBC first party support did not continue after the GBA"s release (Pokemon Crystal was released in the West shortly after the GBA, but not in Japan; the only other US GBC release after that, I believe, was the late 2002 Hamtaro: Ham-Hams Unite, which was released before the GBA in Japan.), and third party support faded to a trickle after the end of 2001, until finally the last releases came out in late 2002-early 2003 depending on region.

The DSi compares well with the GBC in this regard, given that it's only a couple of years old but is pretty much dead now. The DSi was not marketed as much as a followup as the GBC was (almost no card games require it, most notably), but still, it is a different system from the DS, and it is clearly going to have a short lifespan. I highly doubt that the 3DS will be similar, though, and these good sales make that chance more and more remote all the time.

I mean, you're right that we don't know, but it seems quite unlikely that the 3DS wouldn't last a full generation.

Thoraxes

Isn't that like saying the 360 is just a newer model of the Xbox? Same controller, same size, and it plays games when hooked up to your TV.

Edit: I didn't read clearly (tired), however I think the DSiWare is an important distinction.

Takao

Banned
Thoraxes said:
Isn't that like saying the 360 is just a newer model of the Xbox? Same controller, same size, and it plays games when hooked up to your TV.

Yes, a XBOX 360 S is the same console as an Xbox 360. But that comparison is off, as a DSi has increased RAM, and access to a store, and games that the DS doesn't. My yellowing OG 360 can play all the game an Xbox 360 S can. Not the case for DS and DSi. It's a refresh, but not merely a cosmetic one like the DSlite, or XL.

Edit: You edited!

Thoraxes

Takao said:
Yes, a XBOX 360 S is the same console as an Xbox 360. But that comparison is off, as a DSi has increased RAM, and access to a store, and games that the DS doesn't. It's a refresh, but not merely a cosmetic one like the DSlite, or XL.

Edit: You edited!
I'm a ninja!

d+pad

OK, so when is NOA going to bring the white and pink 3DS systems to North America? Hopefully before Christmas??

Father_Brain said:
How? If it's marketed, branded, and positioned as a new model of DS... it's a new model of DS, not a distinct platform.
Well, the tech specs aren't the same as the DS -- it has more RAM, and a few other changes.

Second, it has games that you cannot play on a regular DS -- there's no way to play DSiWare games without a DSi.

And third, there are a couple of card-based games that require a DSi to run.

So, I'd say there's no question but that the DSi is indeed a new console, but Nintendo chose to not brand or market it that way in order to cover for the fact that they were going to kill it after just a couple of years, so as to try to avoid a situation like the GBC had, where people got annoyed with Nintendo for killing the system so soon after its release. I certainly was unhappy with Nintendo when the GBA came out so soon after the GBC, for example, and didn't but a GBA for some time... so this time, while they again released a short-lived upgrade, this time they sold it as just a new model, not a new console.

Now, the GBC might be a bigger upgrade tech-specs wise than the DSi is (I believe the GBC's CPU is twice as fast as the GB's, for example), but still, the DSi isn't the exact same inside as the DS, apart from the removal of the GBA cart slot and the added downloadable games that is.

BKK

Technical specifications

The DSi has more RAM and a faster CPU than the DS Lite.[77] Developers reported the console enters one of two modes for running software: a native mode, allowing access to the system's extra processing and memory resources for DSi-exclusive software, and a compatibility mode for software able to run on DS and DS Lite consoles.[78] Due to the inclusion of Codec IC, which amplifies sound and converts digital signals to analog, the DSi's audio output is louder and has a higher quality than previous DS models. Unused space on the motherboard was cut down without significantly raising its price; the CPU was relocated, and the battery housing was expanded.[2]

The camera's resolution is two and a half times higher than the handheld's screens. However, their resolution are considerably lower than that of digital cameras and mobile phones. This was done to help keep their price reasonable and to maintain a preferable response time for viewing photos in rapid session, particularity since numerous applications will use them.[2][79]

CPU: The DSi has two ARM architecture CPUs: ARM9 and ARM7.[cn 1] The ARM9 is clocked at 133 MHz, almost twice as fast as previous models.[77][62][80]
RAM: 16 MB of RAM (four times as much as previous models)[61]
Resolution: Screens at 256 × 192 pixels (same as previous models) and cameras at 640 × 480 pixels[82][83][84]
Storage: 256 MB of internal flash memory[85] with an SD card (up to 2 GB) and SDHC card (up to 32 GB) expansion slot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DSi#Technical_specifications

According to Wikipedia there are six retail DSi exclusive games, that puts it in the same league as SuperGrafx (5), and Sega CD 32X (6).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Nintendo_DSi_games

BKK said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DSi#Technical_specifications

According to Wikipedia there are six retail DSi exclusive games, that puts it in the same league as SuperGrafx (5), and Sega CD 32X (6).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Nintendo_DSi_games
Alright, so it is a significant improvent over the DS, a lot like the GBC was in terms of improvement. The GBC still probably was more of an enhancement, if just for the B&W to color change (though I like the B&W graphics, adding color is a pretty easily seen change), but yeah, that basically proves my point, I think. The DSi was a new system, but because Nintendo was planning for it to have a very short life and a minimal retail-games presence, they didn't market it that way.

Do those few DSi retail games, or the DSiWare stuff, show off the additional power much? You didn't hear about it much, really, but it must make some kind of difference...

LOCK

Wonder why Nintendo hasn't dipped into the color palette for the Wii yet? Is dye that expensive really? Or are they trying to maintain some sort of brand recognition for the Wii that is somehow separate from the 3DS?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So many news... probably there must have been a retailer meeting.

qq more

Mpl90 said:
And December will see also the Gundam bundle.
Yeah, we'll see a console do a freaking million in a week, now it's official :lol
Yeah, I think the 3DS has captured the Japanese audience for good. Mario 3D Land, MK7, MH3G, new colors, etc!

By the way, has there ever been a system that actually sold a million in a single week in Japan at some point in its life?

AniHawk

qq more said:
Yeah, I think the 3DS has captured the Japanese audience for good. Mario 3D Land, MK7, MH3G, new colors, etc!

By the way, has there ever been a system that actually sold a million in a single week in Japan at some point in its life?

no. the ps2 sold 980,000 in one week. that's the closest any ever got.

Top Bottom