• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2013 (Sep 23 - Sep 29)

duckroll

If 3 out of 5 3D Zelda games were flops, Nintendo should stop making those games. It's clearly a waste of money.

That's only true if Japan is the only market though. At this point I think it's quite clear that console Zelda are made for a worldwide audience, and not Japan in particular.

BadWolf

Wind Waker sold about what I expected of an HD port, I never expect these things to sell much.

Nintendo considering it a system seller was pretty funny though.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wind Waker sold about what I expected of an HD port, I never expect these things to sell much.

Nintendo considering it a system seller was pretty funny though.

I think it's pretty clear Wind Waker is doing a better job in North America.

VariantX

WW seemed destined to bomb. Didn't really have anything new but polished graphics. Had they made some extra optional dungeons or something, it would have been a bit more interesting. Still a good game as is though.

WW seemed destined to bomb. Didn't really have anything new but polished graphics. Had they made some extra optional dungeons or something, it would have been a bit more interesting. Still a good game as is though.
They know where the extra effort would pay off more.

DrWong

I think it's pretty clear Wind Waker is doing a better job in North America.

It's pretty clear Nintendo knew it wasn't a system seller in Japan: no console bundle there, no special edition with a Ganondorf figurine.

That said, bad numbers for the Jp sku.

Sony is smart for launching the new model with Dangan Ronpa, I see a new Senran Kagura on the way.

I have to find a way to play the fan translation, I love games like Ace Attorney, Hotel Dusk and 999.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
When we will finally give up on the Wii U?
I mean, I understand that WW HD is just a remake, of a declining (at least on home) series in Japan, but this is simply terrible.

After Mario Kart and Smash. If those don't move systems, it's over.

phileep

Wind Waker numbers are mind blowingly bad. It had zero affect on Wii U sales either. This makes Pikmin 3 look like a hit.

Wii U is dead until Mario shows up, and I wonder if that'll even move hardware at this rate.

Blue-kun

Sony is smart for launching the new model with Dangan Ronpa, I see a new Senran Kagura on the way.

I have to find a way to play the fan translation, I love games like Ace Attorney, Hotel Dusk and 999.

Or you could just get it on the Vita early next year when NISA releases it! Even though it's only the first game. I know I stopped playing the fan-translation in order to grab the game when they launch it, because god knows this kind of title needs all the help they can get.

rschauby

Banned

It was also $50 (full price). Myself, and probably others are not willing to pay that amount for a remake.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Prepare the arrival of second MONSTER

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201310/02041087.html

According to Media-Create, the pre-order number of Pokemon X/Y is already 1.26m (download card sales not included), which is the best pre-order record on 3DS (i.e. already surpass Monster Hunter 4)

With Pokemon releasing Monster Hunter will continue having supply problems for months if this situation continues but it will help it having better legs even into holidays.

duckroll

After Mario Kart and Smash. If those don't move systems, it's over.

But does it even matter if those games move systems on their own when they launch, but sales drop off after that, and the release schedule for the platform remains a desert? What the WiiU needs is not big "system sellers" so much as a healthy consistent line-up so people don't feel like they're buying a dead system just for a few games.

Atram

But does it even matter if those games move systems on their own when they launch, but sales drop off after that, and the release schedule for the platform remains a desert? What the WiiU needs is not big "system sellers" so much as a healthy consistent line-up so people don't feel like they're buying a dead system just for a few games.

It seems that this will be a bigger problem in 2014 than 2013 for the WiiU. There is nearly nothing announced from Japan 3rds for this System.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
It was also $50 (full price). Myself, and probably others are not willing to pay that amount for a remake.

It is a great game with upgraded graphics on system with virtually nothing else to play. I stand by my conviction that we deserve what we get for our lack of support

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

I think it does matter. Those games are such evergreen games that they sell throughout the entirety of the system's lifespan. Nintendo is going to support this thing for at least the next four years no matter what. As I've said from the beginning, quality first-party games can cement this thing as the "second system" of choice, which is really Nintendo's best hope right now.

schuelma

The thing is Nintendo got away with this with the Wii until I would say 2008. If they weren't able to secure a consistent lineup after the Wii sales in 2006/2007, there is no way they will be able to do it with the Wii U

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Poor Zelda :( I predicted an opening north of 40k with shipments of 100k to retailers. Sadly neither of them happened. Wii U is in a sad state. 3DS going to enter beast mode but damn Nintendo, did you not plan the launch of the Wii U accordingly?

Not so bad for WWHD. In fact these are good numbers

[PS3] Devil May Cry HD Collection (Capcom) - 43.791 / NEW

[PS3] Resident Evil: Revival Selection (Capcom) - 93,768 / NEW
[360] Resident Evil: Revival Selection (Capcom) - 7,822 / NEW

[PS3] Metal Gear Solid HD Edition (Konami) - 61,192 / NEW

[360] Ninja Gaiden (Tecmo) - 39,935 / NEW (Famitsu)
PS3] Ninja Gaiden Sigma (Tecmo) - 46,307 / NEW

[360] Ninja Gaiden 2 (Tecmo) - 24,570 / NEW
[PS3] Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (Tecmo) - 42,000 / NEW

SmokyDave

I think it does matter. Those games are such evergreen games that they sell throughout the entirety of the system's lifespan. Nintendo is going to support this thing for at least the next four years no matter what. As I've said from the beginning, quality first-party games can cement this thing as the "second system" of choice, which is really Nintendo's best hope right now.

When the 'first system' is the 3DS, I'm not sure that's true. Too much library overlap.

Again, the lack of a unified account system stands out here. No ecosystem incentive.

darkwing

Poor Zelda :( I predicted an opening north of 40k with shipments of 100k to retailers. Sadly neither of them happened. Wii U is in a sad state. 3DS going to enter beast mode but damn Nintendo, did you not plan the launch of the Wii U accordingly?

it looks like they need the 3DS for the Wii U to survive

duckroll

Very disapointed with Zelda numbers... I was hoping it would be higher so Nintendo would remake the other ones as well..

You think Nintendo is going to make any development decisions for Zelda based on Japanese sales? If they did, they would have canned the series on consoles years ago. :p

Lumyst

I feel like America is the last semi-stronghold that the Wii U has.

Ah, this brings me back to the N64 days, lineup chock full of Western games, but this time, there's no Dream Team or Silcon Graphics dang it!

Oh and as I've said before, Wii Party U and Wii Fit U are their last chance to get some of the casual gamers back (and of course we suspect Nintendo will discover that these games will bomb and that audience is gone, leaving the regular gamers as their potential customers. Wonder how that will affect the kinds of games they make).

wrowa

I didn't say they were flops.

You didn't, but you were making up excuses for Skyward Sword's and Majora's sales, while insisting on Wind Waker being the least successful 3D Zelda. It just isn't true. Wind Waker was released on the least successful Nintendo console period (well, until the Wii U) and still managed to sell nearly 5 million units worldwide. That's a respectable number no matter which way you look at it. At least that's the way I interpreted your post, I'm sorry if I judged your intent incorrectly.

For the record, I don't think that any 3D Zelda game really underperformed with the exception of Skyward Sword. Even just talking about Japan, I think that Twilight Princess's 500k sales are still a solid number.

Skyward Sword, while selling better than Majora's Mask internationally, just wasn't acceptable, though. For a game that was in development for 5 years it's just not acceptable to just sell slightly better than the worst-selling 3D entry.

(Also, duckroll and Fisico clearly misunderstood the intent of my post. :p)

Instro

Agreed. Spikes in sales are what the Gamecube had. Its not going to change the consoles ultimate fate, and the Gamecube had much more consistent software releases than the Wii U has had thus far.

Eh, not really surprised at Wind Waker's performance but I did expect it to result in a bit bigger bump for WiiU (insignificant the results would still be). Also, maybe I'm" not reading those numbers correctly, but did PSP finally pass 20mil or not? If so, then awesome.

Pooya

I was hoping WWHD does well so that we'd get more games in that timeline after Spirit Tracks, could be for 3DS too. We got two games after WW because it sold quite well in Japan and PH also was very successful after it. Maybe sales in other regions is better.

Is GTA V coming to Japan?

next week.

wrowa

Well, the Wii U needs a life-span first, though. So far it's a console that died two weeks after its release, with the occasional bump every now and then. As long as Nintendo can't establish a reasonable sales base-line, I don't think that evergreens will really matter all that much.

The thing is Nintendo got away with this with the Wii until I would say 2008. If they weren't able to secure a consistent lineup after the Wii sales in 2006/2007, there is no way they will be able to do it with the Wii U

The Wii did have a ton of more or less successful shovelware games, though. Even if those games were bad, it at least gave store shelves a sense of quantity and relevance. That's better than seeing half a dozen different games on the shelves and nothing more, while every other console has dozens and dozens of games. People want to know that there are games they could theoretically pick up, even if they will never actually buy them. The illusion of choice is important.

schuelma

The Wii did have a ton of more or less successful shovelware games, though. Even if those games were bad, it at least gave store shelves a sense of quantity and relevance. That's better than seeing half a dozen different games on the shelves and nothing more, while every other console has dozens and dozens of games. People want to know that there are games they could theoretically pick up, even if they will never actually buy them. The illusion of choice is important.

In North America sure, in Japan? Not so much.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
On a side note, has Mario Party being announced in Japan or given a release date. I would find that odd that Nintendo would not release it during the holiday season. A late November or early December release would be convenient as Nintendo's only holiday title is Pokemon right?

Top Bottom