• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2013 (Sep 23 - Sep 29)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
When the 'first system' is the 3DS, I'm not sure that's true. Too much library overlap.

Again, the lack of a unified account system stands out here. No ecosystem incentive.

I agree completely about the unified account. What an asinine decision that was.

I think it does matter. Those games are such evergreen games that they sell throughout the entirety of the system's lifespan. Nintendo is going to support this thing for at least the next four years no matter what. As I've said from the beginning, quality first-party games can cement this thing as the "second system" of choice, which is really Nintendo's best hope right now.
NSMBU was supposed to be an evergreen as well. Having 3 games selling as "well" as NSMBU is now isn't enough to sustain a system.
The thing is Nintendo got away with this with the Wii until I would say 2008. If they weren't able to secure a consistent lineup after the Wii sales in 2006/2007, there is no way they will be able to do it with the Wii U
The Wii had third party support though, didn't it?

It may have been shitty sloppy support but it had releases from the likes of EA and 2K Sports et al, but it was there padding the release schedule. After this last batch of third party games, what else is going to grace the system, some of Activision's licensed crap, Warner's family friendly stuff, maybe COD if this year's one makes a case for another iteration, Just Dance.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
All bets on Mario. Nothing else. And then, just Mario games from then on, because nothing else is going to magically start selling on the system.

This is why Vita comes across as the healthier system really, since stuff can regularly sell 100k on there (new IP's even!) while the WiiU appears to be a Mario-box and nothing else, and once you've burned through all the iterations you comfortably can, you start eating into the franchise fatigue territory.

You didn't, but you were making up excuses for Skyward Sword's and Majora's sales, while insisting on Wind Waker being the least successful 3D Zelda. It just isn't true. Wind Waker was released on the least successful Nintendo console period (well, until the Wii U) and still managed to sell nearly 5 million units worldwide. That's a respectable number no matter which way you look at it. At least that's the way I interpreted your post, I'm sorry if I judged your intent incorrectly.

For the record, I don't think that any 3D Zelda game really underperformed with the exception of Skyward Sword. Even just talking about Japan, I think that Twilight Princess's 500k sales are still a solid number.

Skyward Sword, while selling better than Majora's Mask internationally, just wasn't acceptable, though. For a game that was in development for 5 years it's just not acceptable to just sell slightly better than the worst-selling 3D entry.

(Also, duckroll and Fisico clearly misunderstood the intent of my post. :p)
WW only sold so much because Zelda was selling better at that time, fast forward to SS, It underperformed severely in Japan, a WW remake was always destined to sell bad in Japan on the Wii U. I mean even if it opened at 100k, it wouldn't even make much difference.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Well, the Wii U needs a life-span first, though. So far it's a console that died two weeks after its release, with the occasional bump every now and then. As long as Nintendo can't establish a reasonable sales base-line, I don't think that evergreens will really matter all that much.

That's why I said if Mario Kart and Smash (both of which are clear system sellers) don't sell, it's over. Although, judging by GAF's reaction to the 3D World trailer, that could be a system-seller as well.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
But does it even matter if those games move systems on their own when they launch, but sales drop off after that, and the release schedule for the platform remains a desert? What the WiiU needs is not big "system sellers" so much as a healthy consistent line-up so people don't feel like they're buying a dead system just for a few games.

Even the Wii struggled to have a constant lineup. Third party support on Nintendo home console is a dream, let's face it.
So, I think that Wii U need system seller to increase the install base in order to sell enough copies of games (it's a circle), justifying Nintendo support to the console

At least to me, Wii U owner, that would like to see Nintendo games (first, second, funded) on the system for soe years, avoiding the possibility to see the Wii U being discontined too early

I don't see any potential realistic better achievment for this console. GC HW numers at best could be a really tough target to be hit

69wpm

So nobody thinks the upcoming "Wii U family bundles" are what people are waiting for? Why would anyone buy a "normal" Wii U when you can get a bundle with 2 games for nearly the same price in less than a month?

Plinko

NSMBU was supposed to be an evergreen as well. Having 3 games selling as "well" as NSMBU is now isn't enough to sustain a system.The Wii had third party support though, didn't it?

It may have been shitty sloppy support but it had releases from the likes of EA and 2K Sports et al, but it was there padding the release schedule. After this last batch of third party games, what else is going to grace the system, some of Activision's licensed crap, Warner's family friendly stuff, maybe COD if this year's one makes a case for another iteration, Just Dance.

NSMBU was a terrible decision as it released soon after a major entry into the 3DS series. What did they expect?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
NSMBU was supposed to be an evergreen as well. Having 3 games selling as "well" as NSMBU is now isn't enough to sustain a system.The Wii had third party support though, didn't it?

I am talking about Japan, since this is a Japanese sales thread.

jeffers

You think Nintendo is going to make any development decisions for Zelda based on Japanese sales? If they did, they would have canned the series on consoles years ago. :p

also looking at the iwata asks, dev team was tiny (like 2-3 people full time? some part time) and they (hopefully) have got some good porting tools out of it they can use. So even just the 30k sales here, ignoring digitals and rest of world, probably isnt that bad an outcome and goes a fair way to cover cost (ignoring the idea of consumer mindshare and console base growth).

For comparison...

Sen no Kiseki Total - 149,340 (Vita + PS3)

First Week:
Ao no Kiseki (2011) - 127,938 (PSP)
Zero no Kiseki (2010) - 84,360 (PSP)
Zero no Kiseki Evolution (2012) - 21,518 (Vita remake)

saichi

Also 3DS could come close to the DS records with the lineup it has this fall.

not sure about that but it could certainly come close to Dec 2011 when the trinity was released.

Could be worse, WWHD is probably well above W101 in LTD sales.

cold :(

Now, for that >100k first week that someone was so sure WW would hit because it's a Nintendo title...

you are just too negative!

Least a million more by years end.

a million more 3DS in Japan than last year? That would be a tall order. However, there is no doubt it will sell more than last year. A month ago people (I'm looking at you Dave ^^) were doubting 3DS cause it was behidn by 500K+ for the year.

I am talking about Japan, since this is a Japanese sales thread.
You don't think the equivalent applies with third party support in Japan?

Bamco, Tecmo Koei, Capcom, Marvelous, Squenix were putting out titles weren't they? What are they doing on the Wii U? There's Taiko and...

The star of the show may be Nintendo's titles, but you still need the back up actors.

So nobody thinks the upcoming "Wii U family bundles" are what people are waiting for? Why would anyone buy a "normal" Wii U when you can get a bundle with 2 games for nearly the same price in less than a month?

the bundles are an absolute bargain, of course anyone wanting a wii u will wait for it if they have any sense

I do wonder if possibly Zelda may see a little bump when the bundles launch

schuelma

You don't think the equivalent applies with third party support in Japan?

Bamco, Tecmo Koei, Capcom, Marvelous, Squenix were putting out titles weren't they? What are they doing on the Wii U? There's Taiko and...

The star of the show may be Nintendo's titles, but you still need the back up actors.

I am saying if you look at the entirety of the Wii lineup, it rarely had consistent support. It would have spurts here and there,especially around December, but it never had a steady stream of Japanese oriented software like other successful platforms have.

I don't really think this point is disputable, frankly.

All bets on Mario. Nothing else. And then, just Mario games from then on, because nothing else is going to magically start selling on the system.

This is why Vita comes across as the healthier system really, since stuff can regularly sell 100k on there (new IP's even!) while the WiiU appears to be a Mario-box and nothing else, and once you've burned through all the iterations you comfortably can, you start eating into the franchise fatigue territory.
Plus the Vita gets releases in the form of PS3/vita and PS4/vita titles. The ease of making cross version means it will get some support for a long time even if it doesn't get true exclusives.

I am saying if you look at the entirety of the Wii lineup, it rarely had consistent support. It would have spurts here and there,especially around December, but it never had a steady stream of Japanese oriented software like other successful platforms have.

I haven't looked into it enough, so I'll take your word on that.

I don't know if spacing of releases is necessarily more important than volume of releases to look forward to, retail presence, etc. in terms of fueling purchase intent and making a system seem like it has a viable future, though. On the whole there was seemingly more software support.

Also, on further inspection of the overarching point of the initial argument by duckroll - that a system needs to be seen as viable for people to buy it - I really don't think comparisons to the Wii, and the cultural phenomenon it was, really make sense.

Kainazzo

I'm one of those PS3 Sen sales!

Last game I imported before it was Saidaioujou, another popular one. Has there ever been a Japanese exclusive (or a game that was exclusive for a long time) that had a significant portion of its sales come from imports? Nothing crazy, but say, 20% even?

squall23

I'm one of those PS3 Sen sales!

Last game I imported before it was Saidaioujou, another popular one. Has there ever been a Japanese exclusive (or a game that was exclusive for a long time) that had a significant portion of its sales come from imports? Nothing crazy, but say, 20% even?
Ouendan was probably beyond 40%. It's the reason for EBA's existence.

test_account

XP-39C²
PSP passed 20 million i see, congrats to Sony for that. Interesting that many years ago, it looked like the PSP wouldnt even reach 10 million units sold in Japan. Probably the biggest turnaround for a system in Japan's gaming history?

Ten games, man. Ten.

It's kinda depressing that it's even debatable. Even I'm not sure if I was joking or not.
The price is too low. Not even a firesale would have that low price :)

Yeah, a good opportunity to not make anything because their game is packed in with 19 others...
That is assuming that people have a lot of interest in all of those games, and that they are not interested in newer released games. I think that would be very unlikely. At a such low price, many of the games would be "throw away" games, and people are likely to be interested in newer games as well. Its pretty much impossible that its being sold at that low price though :)

schuelma

Also, on further inspection of the overarching point of the initial argument by duckroll - that a system needs to be seen as viable for people to buy it - I really don't think comparisons to the Wii, and the cultural phenomenon it was, really make sense.

I don't think we are in disagreement- my point in response to duckroll was that even with the insane sales the Wii had for the first 2 years, it never translated into consistent support, making it essentially impossible that Wii U could ever hope to get there support wise.

I don't think we are in disagreement- my point in response to duckroll was that even with the insane sales the Wii had for the first 2 years, it never translated into consistent support, making it essentially impossible that Wii U could ever hope to get there support wise.
Oh, I got confused at what you were saying.

Well, yeh. That's true; but there were a lot of reasons that led to poor support, despite the high installed base.

I don't really buy into the whole idea that it's impossible for Nintendo to have third party support back on their home platforms. I just don't think they've ever been willing to invest in making the effort to do so and/or to risk the potential damaging of their strong family brand/IPs by properly courting the demographics that Microsoft and Sony predominantly target. That's entirely their prerogative of course and really the most valuable commodity Nintendo have are their IPs so their risk aversion makes sense.

Glass Joe

I realize that the original Wind Waker didn't sell huge in Japan, but I was still expecting more of a Pikmin 3 figure than 1/3 of it. Not seeing the U get a sales bump is also worrisome, but maybe people are waiting on the upcoming bundles.

Guess we'll see how WW does out west with the bundle...

So 3D World is expected to do what? 120k+ If pikmin did 100k?

Pikmin is pretty niche compared to a mainline Mario. I'd think and hope for 175k+ for 3D World.

~ZIO~

Neo Member
you need to get over sales of past titles and their decision making. the Wii U games released this fall/winter were set up to boost Wii U console sales. turning a small profit on dev costs of a game is nothing compared to recouping R&D for Wii U and all the money they'll lose the next few years if they don't sell the console more... like a lot more

every release that sells systems right now is worth more than just the profit it makes. wind waker HD has failed.

You make it sounds as if Nintendo is twiddling their thumbs and sitting on them doing nothing. At least nothing was lost in releasing WWHD as they'll likely turn a profit.

WWHD will likely not break 100k LTD.

Okay. If you say so. lol

RM8

Hmmm... I wonder if at this point, there's anything that can be done about the failure duo ViitaU. WiiU has Mario 3D (I doubt it'll set Japan on fire), Kart 8 and Smash, while Vita is getting DAT LCD version and Vita TV. I just hope they're profitable enough, because they're the biggest hardware bombas since the Dreamcast.

3DS domination, as it should be.

luca1980

Banned
For comparison...

Sen no Kiseki Total - 149,340 (Vita + PS3)

First Week:
Ao no Kiseki (2011) - 127,938 (PSP)
Zero no Kiseki (2010) - 84,360 (PSP)
Zero no Kiseki Evolution (2012) - 21,518 (Vita remake)

Sen sales are indeed good considering the actual times and many franchises falling to the ground nowdays and japan console market....

Two things are certain for now imho:

1 it won' t reach falcom sales expectations in its life time

2 the sales are "split" on 2 platforms, ps3 is expected to be repleaced with ps4 next year in japan and vita is struggling..i think the ps3\vita choice was a good one but only in the short term..i wonder in 2-3 years where is aiming to move the franchise falcom (or if the vita settlement is enought for them)

redcrayon

As expected MH sales dropped from MHP3rd to MH4.
Didn't MHP3rd release at the start of December? Probably worth tallying up a comparison after three months or so, after they have both had a holiday season, time evens out stock issues and also possibly an idea of how many players went for a digital copy due to that rather than basing a final judgement on three weeks of sales at different times of the year.

Even then sales at the moment look like a dip from 'fucking amazing' to 'slightly less but still fucking amazing in context' rather than something worth going into console WaRz over.

Kainazzo

Ouendan was probably beyond 40%. It's the reason for EBA's existence.

So that means 20k+ from imports? Incredible, no wonder EBA happened.

Plus the Vita gets releases in the form of PS3/vita and PS4/vita titles. The ease of making cross version means it will get some support for a long time even if it doesn't get true exclusives.

The Vita can certainly hold its own with PS3 games, but I'm curious about the PS4. I'm thinking it might only get ports from games that don't turn the graphics up too high. With a few concessions I'm confident it could play Resogun, but I'm not as sure about titles like Second Son.

Those Zelda #'s are horrible seriously Wii u owners (myself included) especially those in Japan deserve what we get or what we don't get for our lack of support.

It's damn near full price for a remake of a 10 year old game. Even the best remake of all time (REmake) didn't move insane numbers. Halo CE didn't. God of War didn't. MGS didn't. Silent Hill didn't. Riddick didn't. Ico/SotC didn't. I don't understand why people thought that Wind Waker, on a platform with lukewarm software sales, would change that pattern.

Remakes generally only have a chance of recapturing or exceeding old sales glory when moved to handhelds. The novelty of portable gaming with a classic title is a proven selling point. "HD-ifying" old 3D games is not. Most console gamers have likely already played the game, and maybe have a copy sitting in a closet somewhere (plus they had the entire backwards compatible Wii lifespan to try it out).

Edit: not counting the bundle, it will probably do about the same/worse in the states, since the west prefers the TP style graphics.

Mory Dunz

Hmmm... I wonder if at this point, there's anything that can be done about the failure duo ViitaU. WiiU has Mario 3D (I doubt it'll set Japan on fire), Kart 8 and Smash, while Vita is getting DAT LCD version and Vita TV. I just hope they're profitable enough, because they're the biggest hardware bombas since the Dreamcast.

3DS domination, as it should be.
I like this name. That's what it should be called from now if it isnt't already

Sure it probably won't reach 20 mil, but I can see the Vita getting a massive turn around.
Do you have a number in mind?

Kid Ying

This is the first Zelda available digital day 1. If it even has 6k digital sales it is not the "worst opening Zelda game". Can anyone comment on its place on the eShop charts (I obviously can't, as I'm not in Japan).
It was first on it's release week on the charts, but i also don't think you need to sell 6k to get into that position. It's not on the all time rankings, where i think the low end are something like 10k... So you can think what you want. I don't believe it sold that much on the eshop. I didn't fell the need to buy it or play it, so i'm part of the problem... If not buying something you don't want is a problem.

Absolutely. Wii had some nice releases, but they were few and far between. PS3 even when it was selling like crap got much better schedules. With Wiiu selling even worse, it's hard as hell to penetrate the market. I think Nintendo should outright moneyhat to at least mantain a good schedule. The only third party games announced for 2014 are Wonderflick and Puyo Puyo Tetris. It's in a very bad situation, but things can get better, if Nintendo tries enough.

I'm not a pessimist as some of you are and i think Wii party will do well, mostly in part it's one of the first games that have a focus on a different direction. Maybe the ship has sailed, but since it's a party game, it can always sell for the gamers who like those too, so it's not in a bad position. Of course it's going to sell much less, but...

The next exclusive releases for the Wiiu are: Rayman (bomb), Sonic (bomb), Wii party (who knows), Mario (will do well), Taiko (will do well), Disney Infinity (who knows, even though i think the price is going to be a barrier) and Mario and Sonic, which i think will do well since it's on holidays.

It's not good by any means, but compared to the rest of the year, it's packed. A couple of bombs and some titles that may have lost it's power, but at least there are games.

Top Bottom