• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 42, 2012 (Oct 15 - Oct 21)

Takao

Banned
I support this view too. It is difficult to pinpoint the reason of its existence if it feels and plays the same as its brand counterparts. It's almost as if Sony did not add enough original features to it. Sounds... unprecedented.

What original features does the 3DS have given the complete burial of the 3D gimmick?

Ultimately "unique" hardware mean nothing other than potential novelty sales. PSP didn't offer anything the PS2 couldn't do besides being portable but it became a success because of software. Vita could be identical to the PS3, and 3DS (which it isn't) but still find a place for itself because ... of the software.

Kyon

Banned
What original features does the 3DS have given the complete burial of the 3D gimmick?

Ultimately "unique" hardware mean nothing other than potential novelty sales. PSP didn't offer anything the PS2 couldn't do besides being portable but it became a success because of software. Vita could be identical to the PS3, and 3DS (which it isn't) but still find a place for itself because ... of the software.

It didn't. It also got "me too" ports and remakes like Ocarina an Metal Gear.

The point is that the "it needs unique games" thing while valid is just stupid because most of the ports and remakes released sold more than their "unique" game counterparts.

I agree. It'd be doing fine if it had third-party support comparable to what PSP got/is still getting in the last few years, if perhaps short of 3DS' current numbers.

kswiston

It didn't. It also got "me too" ports and remakes like Ocarina an Metal Gear.

The point is that the "it needs unique games" thing while valid is just stupid because most of the ports and remakes released sold more than their "unique" game counterparts.

3DS was at least getting ports of games that were originally million sellers (or close to it). The Vita ports have mostly been to games that didn't sell all that well to begin with. Persona 4 was the highlight of its library, and what did that sell originally? 300k? Ports are useful for boosting a console's userbase early on, but they need to be ports of games that a sizable number of people are interested in. Most of Vita's games have targeted the same (small) niche, and from the looks of this week's hardware results, those gamers already have their Vitas.

Takao

Banned
I agree. It'd be doing fine if it had third-party support comparable to what PSP got/is still getting in the last few years, if perhaps short of 3DS' current numbers.

Earlier in the year I used to say that PSP had a better lineup in Japan than Vita did in the territory. Unfortunately, that has really been the case. Obviously you can't fault third parties for doing that as an 18 million userbase is hard to pass up, and even with declining sales I have to imagine Namco Bandai's 70th PSP Gundam game probably isn't breaking the bank at this point. Nor can Sony force them to shift those games to Vita because in some cases (LBX in particular) it just never would've worked for the third party.

Personally, the late-era PSP game that gets me the most is Dissidia 012. No one really asked for a Dissidia 1.5 on PSP, and yet it was made. The game didn't even have the excuse that it was in development for ages (ala The Third Birthday, and Final Fantasy Type-0) but it launched early 2011. I have to wonder why SCE never told Square Enix to push that game as a Vita title since the two are historically pretty close. Final Fantasy works with the demographic that buys SCE hardware, and if it was launch window I imagine most would've excused the midquel-ness of it, as well as the visuals. It's not like SE didn't release Vita games that could easily be mistaken as PSP games during the former's launch window. It also would've given Vita a strong franchise that greatly benefits from local multiplayer. Instead it was released on PSP to middling sales in Japan, and likely non-existent sales in the west.

Are they making money on it?

At $250/300 they damn well better.

The first three points will make only a minimal difference without a stronger software lineup. As for moneyhats, Sony continues to face a twofold problem:

1. Sales being what they are, it's very likely that no incentive Sony could provide would suffice.
2. Even if moneyhats were effective, any such game would be a year or more away, by which point Vita will be even closer to death than it looks now.

A relaunch wouldn't be a relaunch without a stronger software lineup.

As far as what you're saying
1. Money can always provide strong enough incentive. The 360's early years prove that. However, I think you're implying that Sony wouldn't give enough money for a 3rd party to put their game exclusively on the machine, in which case I agree.
2. Agree, hence why I said they'll let it die

Personally, the late-era PSP game that gets me the most is Dissidia 012. No one really asked for a Dissidia 1.5 on PSP, and yet it was made. The game didn't even have the excuse that it was in development for ages (ala The Third Birthday, and Final Fantasy Type-0) but it launched early 2011. I have to wonder why SCE never told Square Enix to push that game as a Vita title since the two are historically pretty close. Final Fantasy works with the demographic that buys SCE hardware, and if it was launch window I imagine most would've excused the midquel-ness of it, as well as the visuals. It's not like SE didn't release Vita games that could easily be mistaken as PSP games during the former's launch window. It also would've given Vita a strong franchise that greatly benefits from local multiplayer. Instead it was released on PSP to middling sales in Japan, and likely non-existent sales in the west.

Sony thought this would have been automatic. It didn't happen, and third parties found a viable market on 3DS, instead.

Sony thought this would have been automatic. It didn't happen, and third parties found a viable market on 3DS, instead.

Pretty much. All indications, particularly in light of Yoshida's recent remarks to Gamasutra, are that Sony deluded itself into thinking that they somehow earned their biggest third-party support on PSP, when in fact it got most of those titles by default because DS couldn't run them.

(There's also a rumor that there were significant moneyhats involved in SE's PSP support, which clearly hasn't carried over to Vita even if true.)

Takao

Banned
Isn't that really bad for a new Legend of Heroes game?
Or is it not a new game, just a port or something?

It's a port (of a PSP game already playable on Vita), and given the negative reception it got I'm surprised it sold as well as it did.

Shion

The first three points will make only a minimal difference without a stronger software lineup.
What's sad is that Sony could have an amazing Vita lineup if:

1: They weren't so persistent in pushing cross-play via a non-established platform.
2: They did a wiser management of recourses between PS3 and Vita.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
LittleBigPlanet Karting
Puppeteer
Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
Rain

Should be Vita exclusives imo.

Hell, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale alone, could very well be the system-seller Sony is looking for.

Takao

Banned

1: They weren't so persistent in pushing cross-play via a non-established platform.

LittleBigPlanet Karting
Puppeteer
Rain

Hell, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale alone, could very well be the system-seller Sony is looking for.

This is a Media Create thread, even if two of those games are internal SCEJ produtions they aren't going to sell in Japan, especially All-Stars. Though, it raises the problem that SCE's development strength is in the west, where handhelds have never been as strong.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

LittleBigPlanet Karting
Puppeteer
Rain

This is a bit off topic, but I'd honestly be surprised if any of those performed well anywhere in today's ultra polarized market.

2008/2009 I could see some of those doing all right, but 2012/2013 is hard for me to envision success.

Shion

This is a Media Create thread, even if two of those games are internal SCEJ produtions they aren't going to sell in Japan, especially All-Stars. Though, it raises the problem that SCE's development strength is in the west, where handhelds have never been as strong.
LOL forgot I was in a jpn sales thread :p

SE has not been close to Sony since the start of the generation. Their most important JP centric IP is now pretty much a Nintendo exclusive, KH and FF are multiplatform titles, Tomb Raider is getting time exclusive DLC on 360, a lot of new IPs are either on Nintendo handhelds or mobiles like iOS and GREE, and so on. You would be right to say that during the PS1 and PS2 era, but not now. Looking at SE today I would guess they are prioritizing mobile and western development from Eidos and CD.

Nekki

I see a little bump, you don't see it?

1lKMP.gif

Great second week for BD:FF!!

Also i wouldn't say PxZ is a flop either. No breakout success, but not a flop.

jimmypython

Earlier in the year I used to say that PSP had a better lineup in Japan than Vita did in the territory. Unfortunately, that has really been the case. Obviously you can't fault third parties for doing that as an 18 million userbase is hard to pass up, and even with declining sales I have to imagine Namco Bandai's 70th PSP Gundam game probably isn't breaking the bank at this point. Nor can Sony force them to shift those games to Vita because in some cases (LBX in particular) it just never would've worked for the third party.

I don't know if it was because of Nintendo but Theatrhythm FF was originally a DS game then moved to 3DS. And Nintendo pushed it really hard at last year's TGS. So I see your point.

A.E Suggs

Come on Bravely default you have to hang in there. I heard though that there wasn't enough of a shipment which is why I didn't pull bigger numbers this week, that true?

?oe?oe

Come on Bravely default you have to hang in there. I heard though that there wasn't enough of a shipment which is why I didn't pull bigger numbers this week, that true?
Someone in the old thread said it got another shipment on the 25th, so the drop next week shouldn't be that big.

donny2112

Is it wrong to be impressed with 360? why is it suddenly maintaining 2k+?

Holiday bundle, I believe. Skyrim made an unexpected return to the Famitsu Top 30 a couple of weeks ago, when it released (which also means Famitsu is counting the digital download code for Skyrim as a pack-in game in Japan, unless it's not a digital download code for the bundle in Japan).

Edit:
Price drop.

Was the holiday bundle a price drop, too?

Instro

Looking forward to seeing the legs on BD as we go forward, WOM has helped it sell through its shipments so far. Would be pretty cool if it hangs around for a while. Pretty impressive considering it was supposedly not highly marketed in the lead up to its release.

Esque7

Digital sales of NSMB2 are somewhere around 100,000 based off of Nintendo's financial briefing Sales included in that data ended in September. The data from the Sept 24-30 media create thread lists NSMB2 at around 1.2mill, while the financial briefing says NSMB2 was at 1.31(with digital sales included) at the end of September. So looking at the difference I'd say the game actually did fairly well for Nintendo's first foray into digital games, with about 7-8% of the total games's sales.

Digital sales of NSMB2 are somewhere around 100,000 based off of Nintendo's financial briefing Sales included in that data ended in September. The data from the Sept 24-30 media create thread lists NSMB2 at around 1.2mill, while the financial briefing says NSMB2 was at 1.31(with digital sales included) at the end of September. So looking at the difference I'd say the game actually did fairly well for Nintendo's first foray into digital games, with about 7-8% of the total games's sales.

Really good number for Japan I'd say. This gives a good idea around what we can expect for DD games going into the future. Or at least a semi decent idea.

vareon

And with a higher profit margin to boot.

That's a shipped number in the report.

Hobby

“Animal Crossing Pack” (Japanese product).
This is a special set containing the Nintendo 3DS XL hardware featuring the download version of “Animal Crossing” (temp.) inside the device. We have had so many pre-orders that some retailers have already stopped accepting them. We are currently arranging for additional production.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/121025/04.html

Edit: apparently Persona 4: The Golden is the best selling Vita title worldwide with 260k units sold.

「ペルソナ4 ザ・ゴールデン」は、販売本数26万本を超え、
PS Vita用ソフトとしては世界で最多販売本数となるヒット作となり

https://www.release.tdnet.info/inbs/140120121019019942.pdf

Erethian

Well that would make more sense, but I don't see it stating that anywhere, unless I'm missing it. Or does Nintendo usually only report shipped sales?

Unless clearly marked as otherwise (like their regional hardware sales data that is provided by the relevant trackers) assume it's shipped.

Edit: Good to see such strong interest in Animal Crossing, because Nintendo seems to have made some appreciable changes compared to previous entries in the franchise.

Road

Holiday bundle, I believe. Skyrim made an unexpected return to the Famitsu Top 30 a couple of weeks ago, when it released (which also means Famitsu is counting the digital download code for Skyrim as a pack-in game in Japan, unless it's not a digital download code for the bundle in Japan).

Edit:

Was the holiday bundle a price drop, too?

It's officially only a bundle (at the bottom): http://www.xbox.com/ja-JP/xbox360/consolelineup?xr=shellnav

But maybe Microsoft is offering discount to retailers in the other models too (or else they won't sell any of them because they're all more expensive).

Where have you seen this?

Edit: Nevermind, it seems people are already onto you. =P Ignore me.

Esque7

It's officially only a bundle (at the bottom): http://www.xbox.com/ja-JP/xbox360/consolelineup?xr=shellnav

But maybe Microsoft is offering discount to retailers in the other models too (or else they won't sell any of them because they're all more expensive).

Where have you seen this?

Edit: Nevermind, it seems people are already onto you. =P Ignore me.

Well I suppose if that is shipped numbers, then NSMB2 has done poorly in regards to digital sales.

The briefing data says it includes downloadable quantity, so does that just mean those downloadable cards that retailers carry?

donny2112

So Famitsu is including the digital download copies of Skyrim bundled with the hardware as software, and Media Create is not. This is good information to know. Should lead to fairly significant differences is software totals for MH3G (BEST), Animal Crossing, and possibly NSMB 2 November resurgence between Famitsu and Media Create when those new XLs bundled with the DL game come out.

Takao

Banned
Persona 4 is not the best selling Vita game worldwide. Uncharted: Golden Abyss did 200k in the US, and was like at 70-80k in Japan last time I remember seeing an update. Europe's now accounting for negative sales?

When Imageepoch first announced they were going into publishing, they had this conference where they hyped up how they were going to save JRPGs and how they love the genre blahblahblah. All talk. The head of Imageepoch is full of empty promises and has no real idea how to build his studio with good developers. He doesn't have the business sense of Hino either, so even the marketing comes off as fake and cheap.

As bad a writer as Hino is, I do genuinely believe in his enthusiasm for games and the like, even if Level 5 as a whole struggles a lot.

Mikage is a complete hack job. He thinks he knows how to talk the talk (he doesn't), and he sure as hell can't walk the walk. I also like that he's pretty much vanished off the internet since Tokitowa released. Granted, I haven't been keeping an eye out much over the last few days.

The DLC situation with that game is even more hilarious. Each add-on scenario literally has only one new CG image: the one that was labeled as a sample at all the JP game sites. A total ripoff. Also doesn't help that the game is a POS too.

Top Bottom