• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2011 (Dec 12 - Dec 18)

It did better than the average GAF prediction, didn't it? So better than expected--but I guess if those people were all expecting "super bomb", better than that could be "regular bomb".

From a personal point of view it beat my predictions because they shipped far far more than I expected them to

The problem is not with multi-release, exclusive; XIII sold quite well, at a considerably lower installed base.

The problem is that XIII shit on the bed and left.

Why would anyone want to play XV if it is only as good as XIII, let alone XIII-2

Didn't Type 0 just come out and do good? I think it's a bit early to say the series is dead. No, the 13 series is dead.

They should have made Type-0 with the budget of XIII-2 (which I presume should be much higher) and released it on HD consoles.

I just don't get why they wasted the good potential on the PSP which is absolutely dead outside of Japan, and for a series such as FF which has the most players 'outside' of Japan, quite unlike DQ or MH, etc.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
So how well did the Vita do? Better than expected or worse? I know it was outsold by the 3DS, but did it bomb? 300K seems decent for a start.
It depend on who you ask... see above. The number of units sold is decent, the percentage of initial shipment sold is somewhat weak. The general consensus is to wait and see how it does in the coming weeks and months.

Is it possible we are seeing the beginning of the end of FF? What would they have to do with FFXV to turn things around?
I think the reaction to 13 2's sales here are a bit over the top. If this was FF15... yeah they're screwed. But this game always felt like a stopgap because Versus is taking so stinking long. The demand was never there for a sequel, but the assists were. I'd like to see SE enter panic mode and re-evaluate the series over this, but I don't think they will.

linko9

Sad to see Army Corps didn't chart. Awesome numbers as expected for 3DS, i feel like it's possible for the three big games to all hit 1 million in the same week.

jeremy1456

To be honest I think this is just 10 years of shitty Final Fantasy games finally catching up to them.

SE should just beg the gooch to come back.

Takao

Banned
They should have made Type-0 with the budget of XIII-2 (which I presume should be much higher) and released it on HD consoles.

I just don't get why they wasted the good potential on the PSP which is absolutely dead outside of Japan, and for a series such as FF which has the most players 'outside' of Japan, quite unlike DQ or MH, etc.

Because Type-0 has been in development for years.

Let dq be the japanese centric brand. The western market is growing and will continue to grow.
Funny thing is Dragon Quest is the series becoming more western friendly and actually growing in western markets.

Seeing as 3DS is about to get 3 million sellers in it's first year - has any console ever done this? What's the highest number of million sellers year one, and what's the fastest time for a console to get a million seller? I guess for this metric the 3DS benefits from having launched early in the year and built up a decent install base before it's first holiday season, but on the other hand it would have benefitted from some stronger launch titles as well.
Edit: The Wii had Wii Sports and Wii Play (with Mario Party 8 missing the one year mark with a few weeks), the PS2 and the DS had none (Brain Age and Nintendogs reached a million in december, a few weeks too late )
Going way back it's hard to figure exactly when they hit a million, but for ltd million sellers (or more accurately million shippers) that released within a platform's first calendar year:

Famicom
-Mahjong (Nintendo)
-Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
-Baseball (Nintendo)
-Tennis (Nintendo)
-Golf (Nintendo)

Game Boy
-Super Mario Land (Nintendo)
-Yakuman (Nintendo)
-Tetris (Nintendo)
-Final Fantasy Legend (Square)

Super Famicom
-Super Mario World (Nintendo)
-Final Fantasy IV (Square)
-The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Nintendo)

PlayStation
-Arc the Lad (SCE)

Nintendo 64
-Super Mario 64 (Nintendo)
-Mario Kart 64 (Nintendo)

PlayStation 2
-Onimusha: Warlords (Capcom)

Gamecube
-Super Smash Bros. Melee (Nintendo)

Nintendo DS
-Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo)
-Wario Ware Touched! (Nintendo)
-Nintendogs (Nintendo)
-Brain-Age (Nintendo)
-Tamagotchi Connection: Corner Shop (Bandai)
-Big Brain Academy (Nintendo)
-Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo)

Wii
-Wii Sports (Nintendo)
-Wii Play (Nintendo)
-Mario Party 8 (Nintendo)
-Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
ffsaleszgo8d.png

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
To be honest I think this is just 10 years of shitty Final Fantasy games finally catching up to them.

SE should just beg the gooch to come back.

These last ten years are probably his cause to begin with lol. That's crazy.

Because Type-0 has been in development for years.
PSP has been dead for almost 2 years at least, I would say.

More importantly, I could argue than before last year and MH growth, it wasn't healthy even in Japan.

Even if it was in development since early 2009 (Three years), they should have switched to HD consoles in early 2010, that would give them 2 more years to work on it.

--
I doubt next week being lower than 100K, it wasn't as frontloaded as other FF games, I'd say it'll probably crawl to (near) 1m.

well, honestly I don't believe it will :(

FreeMufasa

3DS is such a beast atm and will hit its stride next year. Regardless of ports, when you think about it the system has had a lot of big names in it's first 10 months.

Zelda
Mario
Mario Kart
Star Fox
Street Fighter
Resident Evil
Dead or Alive
Ghost Recon
Rayman
Sonic
Pilot Wings
Monster Hunter
Tales Of
Cave Story
Pokemon
Ridge Racer

weeskwee

Banned
not everyone can afford to buy 2 consoles in the same short span of time. Monster Hunter is pushing sales of 3DS. Vita will just have to live with it's numbers for now and wait for the 3DS rage to die down a little.

they should really just start showing the most recent PSP Monster Hunter playing on Vita screens upscaled and try to win people over with that. i'd play it over again on the larger, better looking screen with dual analog controls.

Dalthien

1st week: (Famitsu)

Final Fantasy VII - 2,034,879
Final Fantasy VIII - 2,504,044
Final Fantasy IX - 1,954,421
Final Fantasy X - 1,749,737
Final Fantasy XII - 1,840,397
Final Fantasy XIII - 1,516,532

Final Fantasy X-2 - 1,472,914
Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 524,217 (Media Create)

FFXIII was already the worst selling game in the franchise in the Playstation era. And then XIII-2 opens at only a third of the previous worst-selling entry? WOW!

Edit - ha ha, beat by Kagari!

Didn't Type 0 just come out and do good?
It did nicely in Japan, but it won't sell squat in the rest of the world unless they spend more time and money reworking the game to release on a different platform. Worldwide sales for Type-0 won't be anything for SE to get excited about.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So Kagari, given sales trends what do you expect for FFXIII-2 next week?

70k?

If the one million shipment is true, it might be a bit higher as retailers bomb the price into oblivion.

They're kind of totally fucked in trying to get large first shipments on a forward going basis though.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
"Decent" is probably a good word to use, both on the hardware and software sides.

For a system with a decent amount of stock releasing a week before xmas its terrible

It depend on who you ask... see above. The number of units sold is decent, the percentage of initial shipment sold is somewhat weak. The general consensus is to wait and see how it does in the coming weeks and months.

I see. Thanks for the responses. I hope it does better next week.

So Kagari, given sales trends what do you expect for FFXIII-2 next week?

70k?

Coupling bomba prices and high stock it'll actually probably have less drop than normal.

Both Square Enix and Level 5 have been doing a great job deconstructing their businesses.

Especially Level 5.

?
What did they do wrong with this game? Little Battlers did solid numbers and they're promoting this game with a movie. Unless I'm missing something I don't see what they could've done to make this game do better.

It shipped more copies worldwide, largely thanks to not shafting Europe.

The actual sellthrough though is rather debatable.

I never got why XII sold that much either.

I believe earlier FF games weren't much story dependent if I remember correctly, but since post VII were all heavily story dependent as far as I know, I was surprised XII to sell that much and be that well received despite how shitty the story and specially character development were.

Takao

Banned
PSP has been dead for almost 2 years at least, I would say.

More importantly, I could argue than before last year and MH growth, it wasn't healthy even in Japan.

Even if it was in development since early 2009 (Three years), they should have switched to HD consoles in early 2010, that would give them 2 more years to work on it.

--
I doubt next week being lower than 100K, it wasn't as frontloaded as other FF games, I'd say it'll probably crawl to (near) 1m.

well, honestly I don't believe it will :(

You don't understand what Type-0 is. Type-0 is Final Fantasy Agito XIII, it was announced at E3 2006 as a cellphone exclusive project, and moved to PSP in early 2008 before finally coming out this year. If this game changed platforms again, it wouldn't have been out for a while yet. HD consoles wasn't an option for this game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I believe earlier FF games weren't much story dependent if I remember correctly, but since post VII were all heavily story dependent as far as I know, I was surprised XII to sell that much and be that well received despite how shitty the story and specially character development were.

The actual gameplay structure was quite forward thinking looking at how this generation turned out.

Though, you can't really tell how the plot and characters will be looking solely at trailers, so for the audience that wouldn't like how FFXII was in that regard, they likely never would have known.

Opiate

Based on that, XIII-2 should finish at about 850k.

I'm not sure how you're calculating that. If we assume 80% of total sellthrough is already completed (which is a reversal of historic trends), then FFXIII-2 will end up at ~680k.

Of course, given the horrible start, it's possible that the game will exhibit different sales trends than recent FF. But if we're going off the chart (as you say here), then ~680k is the evidence-based expectation for LTD sales.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

FFXII hit a spot with a more adventure-oriented audience than the usual JRPG market. My guess is that those buyers helped offset the natural decline from FF fans moving away from the franchise.

FF12 sold great because of its sidequests and basis of old school rpg grinding/customization. Probably closest to the earlier FFs since FF9. Stories in rpgs weren't always the biggest driver

You don't understand what Type-0 is. Type-0 is Final Fantasy Agito XIII, it was announced at E3 2006 as a cellphone exclusive project, and moved to PSP in early 2008 before finally coming out this year. If this game changed platforms again, it wouldn't have been out for a while yet.
haha, lol. OK. But still I believe they could make it happen on HD consoles. I guess anything but PSP would be fine. I suspect they were too high with Crisis Core numbers.

saichi

A short term solution for Square could be a partnership with Nintendo for a Nintendo x Dragon Quest crossover game,a-la-Kingdom Hearts, maybe?
I'm just astonished it hasn't happened yet.

is that what Itadaki Street Wii is?

What are the odds of having Sigourney Weaver pulling a nude scene in a forthcoming movie ?

Much more likely than Vita beats the 3DS next week

I don't think all that doom and gloom for Level-5 is appropriate.
I agree with the fact that they could have released Inazuma Eleven GO in a better period, but the company wanted to focus on the new console as soon as possible; Inazuma is a series targeted to kids and so GO may sell well for the next months and in the meanwhile establish the brand on 3DS. Let's see, for me a result around 500k units would be positive.

Thoraxes

When I looked at just the posts, I thought this was last week's thread.

Then I clicked the link and saw the first two sales numbers.

The actual gameplay structure was quite forward thinking looking at how this generation turned out.

Though, you can't really tell how the plot and characters will be looking solely at trailers, so for the audience that wouldn't like how FFXII was in that regard, they likely never would have known.
Honestly, I wanted to say that FF brand shitting actually started with XII, but I haven't thought about it much. Since I agree with your last paragraph...

FFXII hit a spot with a more adventure-oriented audience than the usual JRPG market. My guess is that those buyers helped offset the natural decline from FF fans moving away from the franchise.

FF12 sold great because of its sidequests and basis of old school rpg grinding/customization. Probably closest to the earlier FFs since FF9. Stories in rpgs weren't always the biggest driver
Yes, however, FF has never been DQ. What I mean, is that you build an installed based around your game and they grow accustomed to some features in that game. What XII did, was to take confidence out of those installed based. (not stating as a fact, this my thesis!)

I got XII, but I was thoroughly disappointed, despite trying 4 times to get into the game. However, I started the series with X (and honestly, enjoyed X-2 much more than XII. Though obviously it was a worse game in most regards, but it was much more in line with what I loved about X)

Now, the situation with FF is this:
1. The Post VII fans are disappointed with the series
2. Those who were looking for more exploration, side quest, grinding, etc. has found replacements.

I once asked in the best RPGs you have played thread, for someone to point out a game as epic as FF X. It was an honest question. I believe FF was the series to fill that spot, now it is left.

Top Bottom