• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2011 (Dec 12 - Dec 18)

popeutlal

Ah, that's true. Since smartphones are just going to keep getting more popular, Nintendo's choices are jump on the bandwagon or just deal with the slipping stock and hope that Wii U can turn things around. It sucks that 3DS's (and likely Vita's as well) success has to be measured against one of the biggest mainstream markets.

WiiU is going to have a tough time against tablets' cheap games, just like 3DS is having to compete against phone games.

The first Tegra3 tablet has already come out, which has some incredible graphics power. And next year these tablets will become more powerful and cheaper. Plus with the ability to use 360 and PS3 controllers with the tablets....WiiU will need more than a Zelda/Mario game to attract these new gamers.

Kandinsky

Just to keep things in perspective, between PS2 and 360, FFXI sold about 250k total in Japan. I'm pretty sure DQX at least can best that, FFXIV 2.0 might too. The challenge for both games is going to be outside Japan imo.

250k active players wouldnt be bad for JP me thinks.

Ah, that's true. Since smartphones are just going to keep getting more popular, Nintendo's choices are jump on the bandwagon or just deal with the slipping stock and hope that Wii U can turn things around. It sucks that 3DS's (and likely Vita's as well) success has to be measured against one of the biggest mainstream markets.
just because stock is dropping, it doesn't mean their games have stopped selling or making profit.

Do people really want different things though? Overall when I read impressions FF from all types of people it seems people generally want the same thing out of the series. A decent story with a wide variety of gameplay in the game. AKA same things we used to have.

Yeah, I'm not actually sure that it's that hard to do conceptually. I honestly think FFXII was exactly the right direction here (just ultimately under-executed due to terrible development methodologies):

• An baroque historically-themed setting (hits up the Japanese interest in elaborate, design-heavy settings; hits up the Western interest in "realistic" historical environments and "grittiness.") Touchstones here: Dark Souls and Assassin's Creed.
  • Stylish characters that are attractive adults with a gruff, rogueish, anti-hero style to them. (A Balthier and Bosch team has obvious cross-national appeal.) Touchstones here: Devil May Cry and Assassin's Creed again. (Ezio is as close to a Final Fantasy character as any Western game protagonist has ever been.)
  • An explorable world with lots of visually distinct settings and unique quests and treasure in each. (Doing it the XII way means it's not strictly an "open world" title and avoids some of the problems with making one, but still gives you the kind of behavioral choice that the Western market responds to.) I don't have a good touchstone here except that Western gamers obviously love open-world RPGs and Japanese gamers are getting more interested in them as time goes by.
  • A story without either a coming-of-age tale or an explicit romance, because I'm guessing again that Western gamers hate these things way more than Japanese gamers rely on their presence.
  • Lots of over-elaborate, persnickety systems and subsystems and subsubsystems because this is what Japan has always done better than the West in RPGs anyway and people flip for fun, engaging systems.

But, like my first bullet list above, it is basically inconceivable for the corporate entity that is Square-Enix to actually find a way to produce such a thing, regardless of how easy it is to map out conceptually, and even if they did start a project to do it, even Matsuno and $40m couldn't actually implement that project on the PS2 so it certainly wouldn't happen now with worse teams and a much higher failure threshold.

The release of ff games used to be special. Now there are so many releases that you dont even know if its a mainline ff game or not. releasing a game with a sur title like 1234-2 is beyond fucking retard.

The japanese market and the western one are so far apart these days. On one hand they have to cater to 15 year old handheld gamers. On the other 30 something console gamers(the people who bought and have found memories the snes/psone games).

For a story driven experience this is really tough to juggle. I dont think they can do it.

In my opinion the only way they can salvage this is to focus on the latter and get some hollywood writer/director on board to ensure character story is quality, and a western developer do the gameplay. and square do the production..

Let dq be the japanese centric brand. The western market is growing and will continue to grow.

rosjos44

WiiU is going to have a tough time against tablets' cheap games, just like 3DS is having to compete against phone games.

The first Tegra3 tablet has already come out, which has some incredible graphics power. And next year these tablets will become more powerful and cheaper. Plus with the ability to use 360 and PS3 controllers with the tablets....WiiU will need more than a Zelda/Mario game to attract these new gamers.

Its all about the control and the software. Dedicated handhelds can offer a lot more than what cell phones can and people will notice this as long as their is software to prove it.

As for consoles? its really the same thing as above.

gkryhewy

Make it on Vita and don't let the FFXIII team touch it. I'm sure some of you would like the full PS3 or even PS4 treatment but it's possible to recreate the magic on a smaller scale.

Brilliant: an exclusive for the newest platform with the most dubious global market potential -- just watch the profits roll in!

What are the odds of having Sigourney Weaver pulling a nude scene in a forthcoming movie ?
I think it's a possibility. She has done nudity before, and call me crazy, but I think she has gotten better looking with age, like Jaime Lee Curtis. So I think it's possible she could do another nude scene.

So you think it's possible, then?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I think it's a possibility. She has done nudity before, and call me crazy, but I think she has gotten better looking with age, like Jaime Lee Curtis. So I think it's possible she could do another nude scene.

So you think it's possible, then?
I predict 450K for 3DS and 280K for Vita.

Cromat

Square-Enix (and Final Fantasy in particular) is creatively bankrupt. Deus Ex is the best game they have their name on this generation.

In my opinion they haven't made a good game since FF12 in 2006, and even that game was only half-excellent.

The people voted Skyrim.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
[*]A story without either a coming-of-age tale or an explicit romance, because I'm guessing again that Western gamers hate these things way more than Japanese gamers rely on their presence.

While I agree that they definitely have to throw out the coming-of-age tale, I think they could actually get away with a romance as long as it wasn't the main focus of the game.

I mean, I'm having trouble thinking of a recent major WRPG series that doesn't have either romances and/or marriages. (I'm counting Elder Scrolls and Fallout as the same series for this purpose since Skyrim added marriage.)

The rest of that though yeah, I think you could really make a go of it if you could actually develop it.

Sad about FFXIII-2......I really liked 13 and will probably buy the sequel. People are so negative about it.

...then again. Neogaf will be Neogaf.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sad about FFXIII-2......I really liked 13 and will probably buy the sequel. People are so negative about it.

...then again. Neogaf will be Neogaf.

Well yes, as a sales thread, we generally do focus on the sales and business implications of games that sell well below expectations.

sajj316

Brilliant: an exclusive for the newest platform with the most dubious global market potential -- just watch the profits roll in!

Alright, so let's not make it at all and leave money on the table. This is the current Square Enix strategy. It doesn't have to be Vita.

3DS flying high on Mario Kart + Mario 3D + Monster Hunter. Combine that with a low price and it's really questionable whether Vita will come anywhere close to it's sales numbers next year and even in the next 2 years.

Jomjom

Banned
Final Fantasy Again 1. Because if it wasn't for the acquisition of Eidos, Square would probably be looking at going under again eventually.

Yeah, I think some folks are going to be in for a rude awakening one we have a few months' worth of Vita sales figures for all territories. Unless Sony really has secured some massive third-party support that they just haven't announced yet, which is not a theory I find terribly plausible right now.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Not sure if this is off-topic, but what does the 3DS having coming in January, February and March to keep the sales high in Japan?

January: Beyond the Labyrinth and Resident Evil Revelations (possible surprise: Shinren Camera)
February: Girls RPG, New Love Plus, Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy, Tekken 3D Prime Edition
March (the month of Playstation 3DS ): Hatsune Miku Project Mirai and the Future Stars, Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D, Dynasty Warriors Vs., Kingdom Hearts 3D

Yes, so far we don't even know release dates for Nintendo games (KI probably will be in March ).

test_account

XP-39C²
I'd agree no chance vita over 200k next week, wouldn't surprise me if 3ds didn't go up either due to possible stock problems
Any words on stock problems?

Not sure if this is off-topic, but what does the 3DS having coming in January, February and March to keep the sales high in Japan?
Big/semi big upcoming 3DS games:

- SD Gundam G Generation 3D (out next week i think)

- Ace Combat 3D Cross Rumble

- Beyond the Labyrinth

- Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure

- Resident Evil Revelations

- New Love Plus

- Theatrhythm Final Fantasy

- Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D

- Project Mirai Hastune Miku

- Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance

beril

I think they should move away from being overly cinematic and story driven. Fancy prerendered cutscenes were great to lure in people with in the PSX days, but these days FF cutscenes probably keep more people away than they attract, at least in the west. An RPG shouldn't tell it's story through cutscenes anyway. Other genres can do that; in an RPG there should be some point in talking to NPCs. There should probably be less focus on story in general. Sure FF games are known for their story, but that's back when RPGs were pretty much the only games with any story. These days half the games released are trying to be interactive movies, and in many ways it's easier for 8 hour action game to tell an exciting cinematic story than it is for a 30 hour turn based RPG.

Well yes, as a sales thread, we generally do focus on the sales and business implications of games that sell well below expectations.

Is this real life?

"zomg FFXIII was so terribul.....Final Fantasy franchise deeeeead!!!!..........no 1 wantz 2 buy a crap sequel to a crap game!!!!"

If that qualifies as sales and business implications when a game sells below expectations then you have really low standards.

(That being said I am not saying that there isn't good discussion going on. I only read first five pages or so. However, there is far too much of the above drivel.)

Alrus

Do you guys really expect MGS 3D to sell well? I'm a bit pessimistic after MGS HD collection selling pretty badly.

Kirby continues the series pattern of those great legs.
I wonder if it can reach over 100k next week.

It should keep rising this week so I think it'll end up close.

Any words on stock problems?

Big/semi big upcoming 3DS games:

- SD Gundam G Generation 3D

- Ace Combat 3D Cross Rumble

- Beyond the Labyrinth

- Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure

- Resident Evil Revelations

- New Love Plus

- Theatrhythm Final Fantasy

- Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D

- Project Mirai Hastune Miku

It looked like 3 colours were out of stock on amazon earlier, I asked if any Jgaffers had any idea what it was like in shops but got no response, although they're all back in on amazon anyway now, then again its December and nintendo are bound to have stock problems at some point

thefro

I think XIII-2 will bomb ever harder in the west.
XIII managed to sell because of the brand and from being hyped for 5 years and for being the only big console RPG this generation, but the backlash is huge and hurt both the brand and further damaged people's attitude towards JRPGs in general

Agreed there. Combination of changing tastes, lack of console JRPGs, and FF13 being disappointing by all reports.

test_account

XP-39C²
Do you guys really expect MGS 3D to sell well? I'm a bit pessimistic after MGS HD collection selling pretty badly.
I'm expecting at least 100k because i dont think that it is just a straight port of the PS2 game?

It looked like 3 colours were out of stock on amazon earlier, I asked if any Jgaffers had any idea what it was like in shops but got no response, although they're all back in on amazon anyway now, then again its December and nintendo are bound to have stock problems at some point
Ok, i see. Speaking of stocks on Amazon, the Vita WiFi model is also back in stock there. Yesterday it said that they would get new stock 25th of December, so they restocked faster than they first thought.

Jokeropia

Holy shit at XIII-2 megabomba.
And lol @ the 3DS outselling the PS Vita. Looks like kids in Japan are gonna be real happy during Christmas!
This line of thinking is so archaic. DS sold to the entire market, and I suspect the 3DS leans even less towards younger people at this point in it's life.
Also, MH3G bomb comfirmed, barely managed to break 200k? lawl.
Not sure if serious. Either way, you probably shouldn't call attention to the predictions you made in the last thread.

Oxx

Yeesh, Inazuma 11 not really benefitting from 3DS mania. The competition isn't helping. It's clearly the 4th best option at this point. Maybe they should have delayed.

Kandinsky

When I think you are done with horrible predictions you come with a worse.

Well I guess its up to Sony to restock/push the WiFi model, wasnt that one pretty much sold out on launch?, that plus the biggest week of the year I can see it selling over 325k for a full week, it's not that far-fetched imo.

It seems that the broke factor doesn't count for FFXIII-2? Not only is it not one one of the two hot consoles but its also more expensive than any game on the charts. I would think people wallets are burned out and they are waiting for FFXIII-2 to either drop in price or just for when they have money.

gkryhewy

Well I guess its up to Sony to restock/push the WiFi model, wasnt that one pretty much sold out on launch?, that plus the biggest week of the year I can see it selling over 325k for a full week, it's not that far-fetched imo.

BurntPork? Is that you?

Top Bottom