• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2011 (Dec 12 - Dec 18)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So, in 4 hours and 19 minutes, we had 500 posts.
4h, 19m = 259m
500/259 = 1.93 posts per minute. Amazing.

Well I guess its up to Sony to restock/push the WiFi model, wasnt that one pretty much sold out on launch?, that plus the biggest week of the year I can see it selling over 325k for a full week, it's not that far-fetched imo.
PSP never sold over 325K in a week. Specifically the ~December 19 week, its best was 178K last year. DS and Wii were pretty successful December launches; their ~December 19 weeks DS did better (397K), Wii didn't (279K--its best non-launch week).

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So, in 4 hours and 19 minutes, we had 500 posts.
4h, 19m = 259m
500/259 = 1.93 posts per minute. Amazing.

You sure are into Media Create. :p

NIghtWolf

So there it starts. At least the vita came out with a bunch of decent reviews for a couple games. When it probably gonna get worse while the times passes im sure the vita will provide good games more steadily then the psp did. They sure need a new killer app this time around though, and a pricecut later on to enter to a wider market.

Sadist

What are the chances of the mainseries going truly multi platform? (Wii U/Xbox Loop/PS4, if Wii U can handle ports) Or would that divide the userbase in Japan?

Yeah, I'm not actually sure that it's that hard to do conceptually. I honestly think FFXII was exactly the right direction here (just ultimately under-executed due to terrible development methodologies):

• An baroque historically-themed setting (hits up the Japanese interest in elaborate, design-heavy settings; hits up the Western interest in "realistic" historical environments and "grittiness.") Touchstones here: Dark Souls and Assassin's Creed.
  • Stylish characters that are attractive adults with a gruff, rogueish, anti-hero style to them. (A Balthier and Bosch team has obvious cross-national appeal.) Touchstones here: Devil May Cry and Assassin's Creed again. (Ezio is as close to a Final Fantasy character as any Western game protagonist has ever been.)
  • An explorable world with lots of visually distinct settings and unique quests and treasure in each. (Doing it the XII way means it's not strictly an "open world" title and avoids some of the problems with making one, but still gives you the kind of behavioral choice that the Western market responds to.) I don't have a good touchstone here except that Western gamers obviously love open-world RPGs and Japanese gamers are getting more interested in them as time goes by.
  • A story without either a coming-of-age tale or an explicit romance, because I'm guessing again that Western gamers hate these things way more than Japanese gamers rely on their presence.
  • Lots of over-elaborate, persnickety systems and subsystems and subsubsystems because this is what Japan has always done better than the West in RPGs anyway and people flip for fun, engaging systems.

But, like my first bullet list above, it is basically inconceivable for the corporate entity that is Square-Enix to actually find a way to produce such a thing, regardless of how easy it is to map out conceptually, and even if they did start a project to do it, even Matsuno and $40m couldn't actually implement that project on the PS2 so it certainly wouldn't happen now with worse teams and a much higher failure threshold.

I absolutely loveddddddd the sidequests in FF12. Haven't had such rewarding, interesting, and deep sidequests in a while before that

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Is it really that bad if Square Enix can manage to launch a "2,5-3,0ml-FFtitle" every two years and keep the core with it by doing so? I mean, it's not necessary true that an IP of 6 ml produced in 6 yrs is more profitable than another one that took less to produce and sold a bit less. I think FFXIII-2 can manage to sell 2,5-3,0 ml ww: what if that already is more profitable than XIII and XII themselves? It could be better for them to focus on the core audience and forget for now about the mass, rebuilding trust and the strengh of the brand first in there. Bioware and many other RPG companies (CDProject?) is doing great with this, can't see why Final Fantasy can't try to do the same. I mean, saying that FF is doomed it's a little premature...

FFXII was the perfect blend between jrpg and wrpg game design. Too bad SE never realized it. They should do a HD remake just to get it out there again.

I think Versus is heading in a good direction, but the biggest problem is that it has XIII in the name. Being ps3 only is not an issue at this point. Trying to convey that a game called Versus XIII has nothing to do with FFXIII or XIII-2 will be a nightmare.

Sadist

My bad guys :p

I was just wondering if porting the next FF to other consoles (so, Wii U/PC or even Vita if possible) would increase sales or just divide the fanbase. It's a random question, but the series is slipping a bit. Maybe even a... reboot?

Oemenia

Banned
Hopefully word-of-mouth helps XIII-2 seeing as the PS3 userbase is so much bigger now., from what we're hearing, it really does seem SE fixed a lot of the issues. Also, its sandwiched between some big releases so maybe the drop-off next week wont be so bad.

My bad guys :p

I was just wondering if porting the next FF to other consoles (so, Wii U/PC or even Vita if possible) would increase sales or just divide the fanbase. It's a random question, but the series is slipping a bit. Maybe even a... reboot?

It ain't exactly the sort of game that it really matters with

beril

Seeing as 3DS is about to get 3 million sellers in it's first year - has any console ever done this? What's the highest number of million sellers year one, and what's the fastest time for a console to get a million seller? I guess for this metric the 3DS benefits from having launched early in the year and built up a decent install base before it's first holiday season, but on the other hand it would have benefitted from some stronger launch titles as well.

Edit: The Wii had Wii Sports and Wii Play (with Mario Party 8 missing the one year mark with a few weeks), the PS2 and the DS had none (Brain Age and Nintendogs reached a million in december, a few weeks too late )

Hopefully word-of-mouth helps XIII-2 seeing as the PS3 userbase is so much bigger now., from what we're hearing, it really does seem SE fixed a lot of the issues. Also, its sandwiched between some big releases so maybe the drop-off next week wont be so bad.

It'll be lucky to hit 100k next week

Cromat

Question: how big are iOS/Android smartphones and tablets in Japan?
In the West I have no question in my mind that they are going to negatively affect 3DS/Vita sales, but I was wondering how big of a factor they are in Japan.

Kenka

So basically the attach ratio for SM3DLand, MK7 and MH3G is at 1:4? Is that high or incredibly high?
Good question and the answer is, yep. It really is a high rate for three games still at their peak in the charts. Especially so late in the lifecycle (1 year+). Generally, you have such a hit every two or three year (Monster Hunter for PSP, Pokémon for Nintendo handhelds). Having three of them at the same time is a pretty high achivement. It also sheds a new light on the overall software performance, which was discussed in this thread.

Mrbob

Did Vita even get restocked?

If there are only 500K shipped, then the most it can sell right now is 175K for the week. Then you have the 3G/Wifi split and we don't know which one will be more popular (my guess is Wifi).

Depending on shipments, under 200K is a reality. Not knowing the split people want to buy Vita, under 100K could be a reality. Either way 3DS should outsell it by a bit.

So basically the attach ratio for SM3DLand, MK7 and MH3G is at 1:4? Is that high or incredibly high?
To have 3 games at that atatch rate is just mental
DS the week it hit 4 million had none at 1:4, but several at 1:5 or 1:6.

Wii the week it hit 4 million had the insane Wii Sports sold to over half of the userbase, Wii Play a little lower, and Mario Party 8 just shy of 1:4.

However, the 3DS games are a bit different in that they're all pretty new, whereas those DS and Wii games had been accumulating sales for months or even a year.

LOCK

I do think the Vita and supply of MH3G probably dampened the 3DS, which is surprising to say considering that it did almost 400k.

Next weeks numbers should be very telling, and interesting.

I think that all three MK7, SM3DL, and MH3G could pass 1 million on the same week. Which week depends on how strong next weeks MC numbers are for the 3DS.

I do think the Vita and supply of MH3G probably dampened the 3DS, which is surprising to say considering that it did almost 400k.

Next weeks numbers should be very telling, and interesting.

I think that all three MK7, SM3DL, and MH3G could pass 1 million on the same week. Which week depends on how strong next weeks MC numbers are for the 3DS.

It's possible though 3d land and MK have a chance at passing a million next week where as monster hunter will have to wait til the week after methinks

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I believe parts of the FFXII team went on to make The Last Remnant, Gyromancer, FF Tactics A2, Tactics Ogre PSP and help out on FFXI/FFXIV.

Most are still on FFXIV to my knowledge.

That team is now 200+ people.

I think that actually puts it on par with like the top three biggest MMO development teams around, except you know, with none of the financial success those games have.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So how well did the Vita do? Better than expected or worse? I know it was outsold by the 3DS, but did it bomb? 300K seems decent for a start.

Levyne

Banned
Is it possible we are seeing the beginning of the end of FF? What would they have to do with FFXV to turn things around?

Most are still on FFXIV to my knowledge.

That team is now 200+ people.

I think that actually puts it on par with like the top three biggest MMO development teams around, except you know, with none of the financial success those games have.

Wut

That seems....extremely big.

desu

Having almost finished the game ... 520k is still too much. Way too much stupid shit in this game, really disappointing (imho)and I am really wondering how the west will respond to it.

Is it possible we are seeing the beginning of the end of FF? What would they have to do with FFXV to turn things around?

I think it's a bit premature for declaring the death of the series overall, but I do think the current Toriyama' Anime-Teens Adventure trajectory has run its course.

It did better than the average GAF prediction, didn't it? So better than expected--but I guess if those people were all expecting "super bomb", better than that could be "regular bomb".

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Shocking figures for FFXIII-2. Absolutely terrible. I don't see where Square go from here, the FF brand is ruined now. I think they should get Versus out of the door and rest the brand for a long time, maybe sit out the whole of the next generation and focus on PS5 launch for FFVIIR.
It will pull a Dragon Quest IX and launch FFXV on 3DS/Vita.

Seriously serious though, Versus is the one title that seems to have everyone excited, even on the press. I think rebranding it to FFXV is the smartest thing Squeenix could do.

Top Bottom