• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2011 (Dec 19 - Dec 25)

duckroll

I'll be really, really surprised if KH3D does not have a limited edition 3DS bundle. But if it does, that'll mean there are two limited edition 3DS bundles for third party games in March. I'm not sure if that makes a lot of sense. I wonder what's going on...

I'll be really, really surprised if KH3D does not have a limited edition 3DS bundle. But if it does, that'll mean there are two limited edition 3DS bundles for third party games in March. I'm not sure if that makes a lot of sense. I wonder what's going on...

We got 2 limited edition bundles in December and at one point there was gonna be 3

gconsole

For some reason. I just thought many 3rd parties are preparing their userbase on 3DS.

MH3G for MH4
RE Revelation for future RE
KH3D for future KH (3?)

3DS is the machine for company who doesn't want to increase their cost too much producing game on HD console (including Vita). Transfer assets from PS2/PSP to 3DS make perfect sense. Vita will become HD development for japanese dev.

They still have to announce the launch date... Probably in January we'll know if S-E is going to make a bundle or sort of for this game.

Anyway, are usually this limited edition... Very limited? I cannot see 10-20k bundle of this kind not selling even if the game won't succeed. Am I wrong?

For some reason. I just thought many 3rd parties are preparing their userbase on 3DS.

MH3G for MH4
RE The Mercs for Revelations
KH3D for future KH (3?)

3DS is the machine for company who doesn't want to increase their cost too much producing game on HD console (including Vita). Transfer assets from PS2/PSP to 3DS make perfect sense. Vita will become HD development for japanese dev.

Fixed.

wsippel

Banned
Weren't there two special editions this month as well? And maybe the MGS edition is another Konami Style exclusive, like the three New Love Plus limited editions released in February?

I just like the discussion to be more of what can they realistically do, instead of the doom, dead, nothing can be done, etc.
Well, realistically I think Sony needs to pull a Nintendo and go all in. That means more mainline installments going to Vita rather than PS3 (like Mingol 6) and repositioning Vita more as the natural transition path for PS3 focused Japanese franchises (Yakuza, Tales, Musou, FF, WE, etc). I think Sony also needs to seriously consider opening that checkbook and slicing a good 50k yen off the system's asking price. If they can't get Monster Hunter in some form (even Frontier), they need to ensure they at least secure it's more successful competitors (God Hunter, Phantasy Star) and exclusively if at all possible.

I think if Sony could manage all this in short order, the system's prospects would inprove dramatically and it'd be well positioned as a complimentary alternative to 3DS.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

MH3G for MH4
RE Revelation for future RE
KH3D for future KH (3?)

This doesn't make any sense. MH3G is the definitive game in the third generation of the series. Revelations is as much a mainline RE as RE5, and KH3D is also a full-blown mainline KH game that actually advances the plot, like Birth by Sleep.

They're not mere stepping stones. They're important games, being released for the 3DS right now.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
deadvita.jpg

Oh, fuck - I'm killing myself here :)

Look, matey, I know a dead handheld when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.
No, no, it's not dead, it's, it's restin'! Remarkable system, the Vita, idn'it, ay? Beautiful screen!
The screen don't enter into it! It's stone dead.
Nononono, no, no! It's resting!
All right then, if it's restin', I'll wake it up! 'Ello, Mister PS Vita! I've got a lovely fresh copy of Uncharted for you if you show...
*THUMP*
There, it moved!
No, it didn't, that was you wobbling the gyros!

...etc. ;-)

test_account

XP-39C²
Who knows? Sure, they were in a tough spot. But, at least they could have made something more affordable, innovated more on the interface and SECURED MONSTER HUNTER.

Considering how poor the PSP software sales were outside Japan, and how expensive HD games are to make, I don't see how Sony thought making just "another PSP" could turn out profitable for them.
Yeah, but the questions are: what exactly could they do to innovate more on the interface and what could they do to make it more affordable and still try to be more unique? :)

When it comes to MH, i dont think that anyone here knows how easy/hard it is to secure a 3rd party exclusive such big as Monster Hunter. For all that we know, maybe Nintendo made a deal with Capcom that isnt very profitable for Nintendo themself, just to try to "eliminate" the competition. Maybe Sony wasnt in the position to do this. But this is just speculation, i dont think that anyone here knows for sure what happened behind the scene with Capcom, Nintendo and Sony regarding MH. We dont even know if Vita will get a MH game or not.

Personally i dont think that Vita is just "another PSP". I see some of the arguements around this, but i think that Vita is much closer to Smartphones and Tablets today compared to what the PSP was/is. PS Vita will see a lot more of small titled games for example. You dont need to make "HD games" for it.

Well, realistically I think Sony needs to pull a Nintendo and go all in. That means more mainline installments going to Vita rather than PS3 (like Mingol 6) and repositioning Vita more as the natural transition path for PS3 focused Japanese franchises (Yakuza, Tales, Musou, FF, WE, etc). I think Sony also needs to seriously consider opening that checkbook and slicing a good 50k yen off the system's asking price. If they can't get Monster Hunter in some form (even Frontier), they need to ensure they at least secure it's more successful competitors (God Hunter, Phantasy Star) and exclusively if at all possible.

I think if Sony could manage all this in short order, the system's prospects would inprove dramatically and it'd be well positioned as a complimentary alternative to 3DS.

Well I think that cutting the price isn't an feasible option for them right now. They should court 3rd party developers to produce Vita software, they really need 3rd party developers showing the strengths of the system and the uniqueness of the experience. However 3rd parties are heavily committed to 3DS with their existing franchises, thus I think Sony will need to work investing on new IP working on existing concepts and improving/refining them to work on the Vita.

Yeah, but the questions are: what exactly could they do to innovate more on the interface and what could they do to make it more affordable and still try to be more unique? :)

When it comes to MH, i dont think that anyone here knows how easy/hard it is to secure a 3rd party exclusive such big as Monster Hunter. For all that we know, maybe Nintendo made a deal with Capcom that isnt very profitable for Nintendo themself, just to try to "eliminate" the competition. Maybe Sony wasnt in the position to do this. But this is just speculation, i dont think that anyone here knows for sure what happened behind the scene with Capcom, Nintendo and Sony regarding MH. We dont even know if Vita will get a MH game or not.

Personally i dont think that Vita is just "another PSP". I see some of the arguements around this, but i think that Vita is much closer to Smartphones and Tablets today compared to what the PSP was/is. PS Vita will see a lot more of small titled games for example. You dont need to make "HD games" for it.

It's not so unlikely to see Nintendo offering Capcom a deal including the distribution in Europe and North America to establish the franchise outside Japan, something that probably didn't care to Sony.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

As said by others, this month as well we had two 3DS limited editions released.
So, it shouldn't be something strange seeing another month with two 3DS bundles released.
It would become strange in the case Koei Tecmo announces the Treasure Box for DW Vs., and that the Treasure Box will include a special 3DS.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
When it comes to MH, i dont think that anyone here knows how easy/hard it is to secure a 3rd party exclusive such big as Monster Hunter. For all that we know, maybe Nintendo made a deal with Capcom that isnt very profitable for Nintendo themself, just to try to "eliminate" the competition.

Does not compute - eliminating the competition benefits Nintendo and will be profitable in the long run.

It's not so unlikely to see Nintendo offering Capcom a deal including the distribution in Europe and North America to establish the franchise outside Japan, something that probably didn't care to Sony.

I'm sure Sony would've bent over backwards for Capcom and monster hunter, what's probably more likely was as well as distribution and promotion in the west is money and nintendo have far more than Sony

dvolovets

If this is truly the case, then Sony is definitely sending mixed messages with the system's power (and thus its primary function). Wasn't it initially touted as basically a miniature PS3? I think it's going to be difficult to sell a $250 system for smaller titles when those games, or at least similar ones, are available on iOS or Android.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This doesn't make any sense. MH3G is the definitive game in the third generation of the series. Revelations is as much a mainline RE as RE5, and KH3D is also a full-blown mainline KH game that actually advances the plot, like Birth by Sleep.

They're not mere stepping stones. They're important games, being released for the 3DS right now.

I would consider Birth By Sleep to be a stepping stone, though :p

test_account

XP-39C²
Yeah, that is also a possibility.

If this is truly the case, then Sony is definitely sending mixed messages with the system's power (and thus its primary function). Wasn't it initially touted as basically a miniature PS3? I think it's going to be difficult to sell a $250 system for smaller titles when those games, or at least similar ones, are available on iOS or Android.
Personally i dont think that it is mixed messages. It just means that the Vita has both things. You will see smaller games + bigger games :) It is similar with PS3 and Xbox 360 today with PS Store and Xbox Live Arcade.

Well they simply need to revive this site and all will be well:
http://yaybuttons.com/

duckroll

Worked for the PSP. It was touted as basically a miniature PS2. That doesn't stop Nippon Ichi from putting games on it which could pass off as PS1 games. But then, they made the same sort of game on the PS2 too. :p

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I'm sure Sony would've bent over backwards for Capcom and monster hunter, what's probably more likely was as well as distribution and promotion in the west is money and nintendo have far more than Sony

If everything else is the same, it makes sense for Capcom to go with the system which will be released sooner and will probably end up selling more hardware. And they also had a relationship an saw that Nintendo was willing to invest a great amount of marketing MH Tri (Wii), or other big 3rd Party titles like DQ.

Nothing against Sony but their first Party success on PSP was pathetic, their couldnt even sell their own titles...so Capcom would probably rather bank on Nintendo to promote the title than Sony on a handheld.

I`m sure that this MH story will be a long-time investment by Nintendo - the next MMO/Frontier like Spin-Off will likely be on WiiU, now that the main titles are handheld bound.

creid

6 weeks ago in the MC thread about Mario's 2nd week sales
I wouldn't say this at all.
Mario 3DS had less impact on hardware sales than the price drop, and we are now in holiday season, as opposed to the middle of summer.
Nintendo needs something new to push 3DS, not the same old same old.
01./03. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo) {2011-12-01} - 260,836 / 1,050,706 (+43%)
03./05. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo) {2011-11-03} - 174,566 / 1,011,709 (+55%)
I think this is hysterical only because it turns out that all Nintendo needs is the "same old same old" to push 3DS.

gconsole

Hmm, I don't get your point. I didn't say these games are not important. I just say the 3rd party are testing the water and prepare the userbase for their game. This is Nintendo machine, the 3rd party has indirect competition with Nintendo. Without trying to move people who play PS3/PSP to 3DS, do you think the game like RE/MH/MGS will sell? Do you know what happened to REmake on GC? Blindly putting the franchise to another machine thinking the people who own it will adapt to it right away has proved to be wrong. MH4 won't see the same success as its PSP game if most of the MH fanbase won't move from PSP to 3DS. Pokemon won't just miracle get the same success if release ever release on PSP without its fanbase move from Nintendo to PSP.

test_account

XP-39C²
Does not compute - eliminating the competition benefits Nintendo and will be profitable in the long run.
Yeah, that is true. I should have mentioned that i was thinking about that specific deal only, that it wasnt that important if that specific deal wasnt very profitable for Nintendo.

Well I think that cutting the price isn't an feasible option for them right now. They should court 3rd party developers to produce Vita software, they really need 3rd party developers showing the strengths of the system and the uniqueness of the experience. However 3rd parties are heavily committed to 3DS with their existing franchises, thus I think Sony will need to work investing on new IP working on existing concepts and improving/refining them to work on the Vita.
I think feasability is variable when dealing with an entity the size of Sony, and a bigger loss now pays dividends later on. Not dropping fast and far enough was PS3's downfall and that's something that should be weighing on the minds of everyone at SCE. I understand Vita's already a loss taking venture, and that the price drop was essentially built in day one, but it's still just not good enough. 19800 yen or bust.

And I agree that trying to draw support from 3DS is a losing proposition, that why I think SCE needs to cannibalize PS3. Games like Yakuza 5, Dynasty Warriors 8, Tales of next, Gran Turismo 6, Final Fantasy XV and so on need to be on Vita, either exclusively or in addition to PS3. This is really the only way forward I can see Vita making itself a major platform that can exist alongside 3DS, and if they have to sacrifice PS3 to do it then that's what they should do. If they don't Wii U might come along and do it for them anyway.

Segnit

Banned
I see what you mean about the two enjoyment stuff, kinda like a "i told you so" enjoyment i guess? But when you just say "i enjoy Vita's collapse" and say much other stuff why you dont want to see the Vita succeed, i think that most would understand it differently.

You're right, most will understand it differently. But I wont easily be held hostage to what others think or believe. Am I enjoying being right? Yes. Would I want PSV to be a success and increase the heat on Nintendo? Yes. Is it fun to watch blind fanboy loyalty and hilarious expectations be shattered? I think anyone who says "No" is liar.

Regardding being unreasonable, i dont think that launching a product like Vita is unreasonable. Sometimes you simply have to take risks, you cant just always play it safe and release something equivalent that already excist. Even that in itself is actually a risk, because then you might end up with "just another product".
Depends. There is certainly a lot of room for debate about which risks were worth taking and which were not. And you know something? Maybe Sony had a corporate contingency plan that wouldn't make sense from a gamers standpoint. Who knows, maybe PSV is their exit strategy from dedicated portable gaming device, while at the same time it's their entry into the wider portable space - with licensed and outsourced hardware while leveraging the IP into future Sony portable electronics.

The bright side to such a plan would be that PSV would be their long term exit strategy and not a short term one; as the platform and the games could still be relevant 7 years down the line.

In my eyes there really has to be a good reason why Sony appears to have opted for a yet another half hearted, brute force (oxymoron) strategy with the PSV. Perhaps a reason that would not immediately make sense to gamers.

Just look at Nintendo and the Wii. Was it reasonable to think that so many wanted the Wii? Personally i dont think so. I see the Wii as a risk that Nintendo took, and it payed off big time. The Wii was more drastic different than what was normal at that time though compared to Vita. But Vita does have it's standout features as well like dual analog on an handheld and back touchpad.

Was it reasonable to think that Wii was going to be big? Yes. A BIG yes. The Wii had most profound and extraordinary reception at E3 2006. The longest lines were not for the PS3.

As for Vita's standout features... I think PSV is the most complete and glorious handheld ever created (memory card issues aside). It looks gorgeous, it's got a big OLED screen, and it has the most varied input methods of any handheld. But all that is besides the point if you can't give the platform the breathing room and the software backing that it needs to survive while relegating the portability aspect to last place.

Sony has opted for a brute force strategy again. PS3.

Rolf NB

We talk about lineup and price, but form factor could also be an issue. Having to protect Vita in a case, that can't fit in a pocket, was a bad idea to begin with. It makes its usage less casual than it should be. This is a design limitation which may be a hindrance to a segment of consumers.
They should bundle it with cargo pants.

Doesn't necessarily change desire for an actual portable.

Why does Sony hate clam shells anyway? It would seem perfect for this particular system given the size of the screen.
Because clam shells make no sense for a device with one screen. The innards are cramped enough as is. A clam shell would have to be even thicker. Even if the top flap was a single, empty piece of plastic, you'd expect it to be thick enough to completely absorb the protruding height of the analog sticks. You'd actually reduce pocketability.

And if size is no issue, separate shells/cases/pouches are already available.

Kenka

28./37. [WII] Go Vacation (Bandai Namco) {2011-10-20} Yeah ! It's always nice to see this one hanging on.
37./07. [PSV] Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational (SCE) {2011-12-17} Drop rates for some of those PSV titles must be horrific
40./08. [PSV] Uncharted: Golden Abyss (SCE) {2011-12-17} See above
42./00. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo) {2005-12-08} This one has officially charted for more than 6 years straight. It must be a record, right ?
44./18. [PSV] Dynasty Warriors Next (Koei Tecmo) {2011-12-17} See above
49./19. [PSV] Lord of Apocalypse (Square Enix) {2011-12-17} See above
50./00. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo) {2008-01-31} C'mon !!

Well, this top 50 sure was epic.

Michan

mario_111225.png

* SM3DL enters, knocking Super Mario Advance 2 (GBA; 0.92m) out and Galaxy 2 down a place.
* It took 8 weeks for SM3DL to reach 1 million sold units.
* It appears that both SM3DL and Mario Kart 7 reached 1 million units on roughly the same day.
* This is the first time all of the Mario titles in the chart have been above 1 million!
* SM3DL will take SMG (and maybe SM64DS) next week.
* Feels good man

AntMurda

I think this is hysterical only because it turns out that all Nintendo needs is the "same old same old" to push 3DS.

Those games cover a huge demographic but not the entire picture. Nintendo released a lot of original DS titles last generation like Brain-Age, English Training, Nintendogs, Tomodachi Collection, and Rhythm Tengoku which all sold millions. Probably next year we will start seeing some of those new ideas surface on the 3DS.

Takao

Banned
Those games cover a huge demographic but not the entire picture. Nintendo released a lot of original DS titles last generation like Brain-Age, English Training, Nintendogs, Tomodachi Collection, and Rhythm Tengoku which all sold millions. Probably next year we will start seeing some of those new ideas surface on the 3DS.

Rhythm Tengoku is a GBA series, so you probably shouldn't use that as an example to counter someone claiming Nintendo of the "same old, same old". ;)

longdi

Banned
I hate to say i told you so but i told you so. Vita is a dead system walking, smartphones and tablets gaming are enough for most people that Vita is targeting. Sony did not do Vita any favor by its lackadaisical design and its OS sounds 3 years old.

Sure you can play Uncharted ($40) on Vita but how many will care enough for studios to produce more Uncharteds? Something like Angry Birds play better on a large screen iPad! Take that button whores! Vita is so going to bomb in the West launching head on against ipad3...

Michan

I know this has probably been discussed to hell and back, but it's absolutely astonishing to see three generations of Mario Kart in one chart. Completely unprecedented.

AntMurda

Rhythm Tengoku is a GBA series, so you probably shouldn't use that as an example to counter someone claiming Nintendo of the "same old, same old". ;)

It was released after the Nintendo DS in 2005 to a fleeting audience, basically reintroduced in the same manner Animal Crossing was. Same generation.

Top Bottom