• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Software Sales 2/5 - 2/11

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
ziran said:
Famitsu Top 10 Feb 12-18
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2007/02/21/103,1172045341,67443,0,0.html

1. Professor Layton (DS)
2. Tales of Destiny 2 (PSP)
3. Soul Cradle (PS2)
4. Death Note (DS)
5. Dragon Quest Monster Joker (DS)
6. Bleach 2 (DS)
7. Wii Sports (Wii)
8. Pokémon Diamond & Pearl (DS)
9. Picross DS (DS)
10. NSMB (DS)

The top 4 selling DS games are from 3rd parties but i don't know if it means anything. Nice to see Lvl5 being successful with their first game. I hope that it will show the initiative to the smaller dev. out there that they can try to go their own way with their own style of games.

Luckyman

Banned
NintendosBooger said:
MHP on the PSP is about as dumb as the RE series on the GC. Both big mistakes on the part of Capcom. In typical Capcom fashion, expect an announcement of a DS port of MHP2 mere days before its release.

Bitter tears..

ziran said:
Famitsu Top 10 Feb 12-18
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2007/02/21/103,1172045341,67443,0,0.html

1. Professor Layton (DS)
2. Tales of Destiny 2 (PSP)
3. Soul Cradle (PS2)
4. Death Note (DS)
5. Dragon Quest Monster Joker (DS)
6. Bleach 2 (DS)
7. Wii Sports (Wii)
8. Pokémon Diamond & Pearl (DS)
9. Picross DS (DS)
10. NSMB (DS)

Third parties getting on board the DS gravy train. Namco is probably kicking themselves for devoting Tales of Destiny to PSP.

miguel_c_hammer said:
Third parties getting on board the DS gravy train. Namco is probably kicking themselves for devoting Tales of Destiny to PSP.

ToD2 is a straight-up port of a PS2 game with no added functionality. Exactly what else would you suggest they did with it?

Busaiku

Wait, so did Monster Hunter Portable 2 outsell the LTD of any Sony PSP game or just the launch day/week record? I'm guessing it's the former.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Busaiku said:
Wait, so did Monster Hunter Portable 2 outsell the LTD of any Sony PSP game or just the launch day/week record? I'm guessing it's the former.
It's coming out this week (for next week's chart), but hardware sales are up and pre-orders are high so most people expect it to do really well.

Mar

I'm very happy to see Layton on top. Not because I like the game or will buy it (maybe I will but I doubt it). But because they are a third party getting some awesome cash flow from the DS. This can only mean more support for the system.

VF5 bombed. No doubt about it now. Can't believe the low PS3 numbers... Sony must be agasp right now.

Mrbob

Perhaps there are kindler, gentler Nintendo fans on the forum now but when Dark Cloud 2 released Nintendo fans at the time did all they could to rip the game apart.

Anyway I don't want to argue about it, just happy to see Level 5 get their due.

jarrod

Banned
Mrbob said:
It is funny to see Nintendo fans rooting for Layton, though.
Must be because L5 was smart enough to outsource the the puzzle design... because god knows, the games they've cobbled together themselves are usually hugely bloated, painfully uneven messes. Like the aforementioned DC2. :p

Mrbob said:
Perhaps there are kindler, gentler Nintendo fans on the forum now but when Dark Cloud 2 released Nintendo fans at the time did all they could to rip the game apart.

Anyway I don't want to argue about it, just happy to see Level 5 get their due.

I wasn't around at the time, but i'm willing to take a wild guess that Nintendo fans were baited with "This game is better than Zelda" mantras. God knows that happened with DC 1.

Taurus

Oblivion said:
Why isn't Virtua Fighter 5 in the top 10? Shortage?
Who is going to reveal it to him? Me? Oh man, I hate this... Whatever...

Son, you better sit down now. You know, in life... There are successful products. Then there are non-successful products, also known as TOTAL FUC*ING FAILURES! BOOM! HEADSHOT!

Do I need to carry on?

Joe Molotov

Magicpaint said:
Prof Layton is a non-game!

Do people still say that? I remember that was what it was commonly branded as when it was first unveiled

I think it has to sell 500k before it reaches non-game status.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Taurus said:
Who is going to reveal it to him? Me? Oh man, I hate this... Whatever...

Son, you better sit down now. You know, in life... There are successful products. Then there are non-successful products, also known as TOTAL FUC*ING FAILURES! BOOM! HEADSHOT!

Do I need to carry on?

lol. There's something you need to know.

Parl

No, the game would be casual at worst. 1 million for non-game. It's non-software after 3 million; I just keep seeing those NSMB dissappear.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
TOD2 sold only 10k after the first day? Is the word of mouth that bad? This is like TotT bad drop off. Did it drop to half price after the weekend?

Kaeru

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
I wasn't around at the time, but i'm willing to take a wild guess that Nintendo fans were baited with "This game is better than Zelda" mantras. God knows that happened with DC 1.

Your posts rocks!!

And yes I remember DC 1, it happens to zelda from time to time. On the PS1 it was Alundra that was supposed to be as good or even better.

Vinnk

I love it when people call them “Non-games”. I love it almost as much as the people calling the Wii a “non-competitor” in the console wars after it outsold everything in North America for the month of January. This stuff is hilarious. :lol

Mrbob

jarrod said:
Must be because L5 was smart enough to outsource the the puzzle design... because god knows, the games they've cobbled together themselves are usually hugely bloated, painfully uneven messes. Like the aforementioned DC2. :p

I h8 u. :)

Parl

Forgotten Ancient said:
Um...

I am almost convinced you and ioi are either in a relationship together or are, in fact, the same person.

Square, are you having an affair? Be honest, don't mess me around.

ethelred

Kaeru said:
Your posts rocks!!

And yes I remember DC 1, it happens to zelda from time to time. On the PS1 it was Alundra that was supposed to be as good or even better.

Oh, well Alundra's a different matter entirely. It actually is better than most Zelda games (and by extension, better than most Nintendo games).

jarrod

Banned
Kaeru said:
Alundra somewhat sidestepped the "Zelda killer" curse by being hot 2D... plus it was actually as good as most Zeldae. The overhyped PS1 "Zelda killers" were more Musashi and Soul Reaver.

Mrbob said:
Not as much as taste and reason hates Dark Cloud. :D

Meier

Busaiku said:

I think you must have meant the latter, considering if it were the former it would mean it'll sell just short of 1 million copies next week.

gconsole

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
>900.000 and right now 10-15k a week so its going to hit a million.

And don't forget it is a freakin port. MHP is so underate here in GAF.

Why? The series sold millions, and sold more than what they all did on PS2. Yeah, dumb indeed.

Do you have the idea on how many RE series was sell in the past before jumping to GC? By the way , what is 'sold more than what they all did on PS2' ? Do we have REmake and RE0 on PS2 too ?

Busaiku

Meier said:
I think you must have meant the latter, considering if it were the former it would mean it'll sell just short of 1 million copies next week.
Er, whoops, yeah, that's right (forgot what I typed).

jarrod

Banned
AniHawk said:
So VF5 is still below the total amount the original VF for the Saturn did at launch, right?
Actually, it might even be below SEGA AGES VF2... didn't that game clear 90k eventually or something?

Xavien

sphinx said:
DQM:J has the wackiest performance ever, one week it seels like mad 600k then disappeaars then comes back then away.. wth?

I think this is more to do with Square-Enix yet again underestimating demand for a DS game, it sold-out of its shipment completely and SE had to ship some more, the new shipment only started appearing last week and thus it was back on the charts again :)

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Pellham said:
I've honestly never seen anyone bash dark cloud 2 (nfanboy or not). and those that did, obviously didn't play it anyway.
I did bash it because to me it's not this awesome and perfect game some people make it out to be.

DQ8 on the hand... :)

the funny thing with Level 5 tho is that they are awesome when it comes to art, presentation, graphics but when it comes to actual game design they always need someone to supervise their stuff, happened with DQ8 (Horii) and now with Layton and the dude that specializes on puzzles.

So SE must have only expected sub-1,000,000 for DQMJ. When will they learn?!

So, with FFXIIRW, will they:

Underestimate and sell under 1 million
Underestimate and sell over 1 million anyway
Overestimate and sell under 1 million

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
A Link to the Snitch said:
So SE must have only expected sub-1,000,000 for DQMJ. When will they learn?!

So, with FFXIIRW, will they:

Underestimate and sell under 1 million
Underestimate and sell over 1 million anyway
Overestimate and sell under 1 million
The initial shipment is 500K, that's probably all they expect.

Top Bottom