• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet the HTC Magic (Reviews are in!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Guybrush Threepwood said:
How much did HTC pay you for this?

If they had paid me it would be 20 pages minimum with giant 2.0MB header images.

Unfortunately they did not, so this is all I could throw together.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
#

* Price: $180 w/ 2-year contract (Rumored)
* Date: July (Rumored)
* Carrier: T-Mobile (Rumored)
* Exclusive? Unknown

# Canada:
Android 1.5 + T-Mobile for the price of a G1?

I'm intrigued...... I've wanted to replace my Pearl for a while now.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.androidcentral.com/t-mobiles-android-15-cupcake-update-release-schedule-revealed

We've been assured that it's rolling out and a rough "schedule" (if you can even call it that) has been revealed. As follows:

•5% of Android Devices will receive the Android 1.5 Cupcake Update on Monday, May 18th
•15% on Tuesday, May 19th
•30% on Wednesday, May 20th
•45% on Thursday, May 21st
•60% on Friday, May 22nd
•75% on Saturday, May 23rd
•90% on Sunday, May 24th
•100% on Monday, May 25th

reilo

Looking at the specs, is it worth it to hold out on the Magic or do I just go and get the G1?

I really want a full keyboard, but at the same time if this phone is a lot better, I would just go ahead and wait a month or two to buy this.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
reilo said:
Looking at the specs, is it worth it to hold out on the Magic or do I just go and get the G1?

I really want a full keyboard, but at the same time if this phone is a lot better, I would just go ahead and wait a month or two to buy this.

Interior-wise, it's very much the same hardware as the G1. The only things changed are

- Increased battery capacity (1150mAh to 1340mAh)
- Increased storage (256MB to 512MB)
- And if rumors are true, for America the camera will be increased (3.2MP to 5.0MP)

The battery thing isn't much of an issue if like me, you were planning on getting an extra one anyways. I'm not much of a picture taker, so the last one wouldn't bother me either.

However, the doubled storage is potentially a big issue, as apps cannot be run from the SD card yet, so if you plan on having tons of apps loaded on your phone, go with the Magic (although there might be an upgrade in the future to allow apps to be run from the SD card).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ZROCOOL said:
Lovely~ anything on US release date?

Rumored leaked T-mobile roadmaps put it in the Summer, possibly in July.

Edit- Oops, double post, meant to edit this into the above one. Ah well.

reilo

Andrex said:
Interior-wise, it's very much the same hardware as the G1. The only things changed are

- Increased battery capacity (1150mAh to 1340mAh)
- Increased storage (256MB to 512MB)
- And if rumors are true, for America the camera will be increased (3.2MP to 5.0MP)

The battery thing isn't much of an issue if like me, you were planning on getting an extra one anyways. I'm not much of a picture taker, so the last one wouldn't bother me either.

However, the doubled storage is potentially a big issue, as apps cannot be run from the SD card yet, so if you plan on having tons of apps loaded on your phone, go with the Magic (although there might be an upgrade in the future to allow apps to be run from the SD card).
Battery life and camera MP aren't an issue for me either. Apps might be in the future, but I'm not even sure I will use a ton of apps.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
reilo said:
Battery life and camera MP aren't an issue for me either. Apps might be in the future, but I'm not even sure I will use a ton of apps.

Then the G1 is probably for you if you want a hard keyboard.

Husker86

DrFunk said:
Well, if it doesn't come to At&t, it can always be bought unlocked, right?

If those specs are what's coming to the US it doesn't look like it will support AT&T's HSDPA frequency...correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they use the 2100MHz band so you won't have 3G.

edit: AT&T uses 850/1900MHz bands for HSDPA, the specs in the OP list the Magic supporting 900/2100MHz, so no go for AT&T 3G (until/unless they make an AT&T version).

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Andrex said:
Rumored leaked T-mobile roadmaps put it in the Summer, possibly in July.

Edit- Oops, double post, meant to edit this into the above one. Ah well.

oh if true ill be picking it up.

kIdMuScLe

down the line can this phone be flashed so i could use it without the data plan? i don't want to pay $25~ more for a feature that i will never use.

Raistlin

reilo said:

The upcoming HTC Memphis is the Magic with a qwerty. I'm waiting for that.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Too bad there isn't a horizontal keyboard though. I'd like to have that instead of it being vertical. Why couldn't it switch keyboard size by tilting the cellphone horizontally like Blackberry Storm ?

nubbe

Looks kinda plastic. I'd guess it or the screen would break if I would drop it on the floor.
I drop my phone on the floor about 2 times a week :p

Ephemeris

NetMapel said:
Too bad there isn't a horizontal keyboard though. I'd like to have that instead of it being vertical. Why couldn't it switch keyboard size by tilting the cellphone horizontally like Blackberry Storm ?
The Magic? Who said it doesn't? =/

Krelian

NetMapel said:
What exactly do you mean? There is a horizontal keyboard if you tilt the phone. It also has bigger keys due to more horizontal space.

NetMapel

Krelian said:
What exactly do you mean? There is a horizontal keyboard if you tilt the phone. It also has bigger keys due to more horizontal space.
Not from the videos that I saw ? Maybe you can show me a video of it doing that ? I'd really love to have a horizontal keyboard so there's more typing space.

Krelian

NetMapel said:
Not from the videos that I saw ? Maybe you can show me a video of it doing that ? I'd really love to have a horizontal keyboard so there's more typing space.
Not a video, but a photo of my phone showing the horizontal keyboard: http://i40.tinypic.com/53s3tj.jpg
Sorry for the crappy quality, my camera is old and doesn't work well if there's not enough light. The screen actually looks much better too.

NetMapel said:

Just another confirmation that it does have a horizontal keyboard by rotating the phone. The keyboard automatically re formats.

NetMapel

Krelian said:
Not a video, but a photo of my phone showing the horizontal keyboard: http://i40.tinypic.com/53s3tj.jpg
Sorry for the crappy quality, my camera is old and doesn't work well if there's not enough light. The screen actually looks much better too.
Hell yeah. That's good to see. This is definitely good news in my mind.

Uncle

NetMapel said:

The video review in the OP shows exactly that..?

Krelian

jonnybryce said:
One thing I don't enjoy is how the screen reorientates itself. The back light shuts off, the screen flips and the light turns back on. Earlier videos showed it being a more bouncy effect which I prefer. Either way, after seeing the Pre's reorientation in under a second, seeing the Magic do it is kinda awkward.
Yeah, it's a little weird how it's implemented, but at least it's there. I usually use the vertical keyboard, though.

Krelian said:
Yeah, it's a little weird how it's implemented, but at least it's there. I usually use the vertical keyboard, though.

Yeah it's definitely me being really picky, it's pretty much a non issue, I'm sure you'd get used to it quickly. I just feel like Google goes out of their way to make the OS differ from the iPhone just to be able to say they aren't copying, even if Apple does definitely have some things perfect. Example: for a while the Cupcake keyboard was showing the selected letter pop up on the opposite side of the keyboard, it didn't really make sense.

I also wish they would have stuck with the circular zoom control in the browser, that was pretty cool... although again I think that the ultimate control for zooming in and out is pinching and that's something I won't deny despite not being an iPhone fan.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
kIdMuScLe said:
down the line can this phone be flashed so i could use it without the data plan? i don't want to pay $25~ more for a feature that i will never use.

It's possible, this phone could be released unlocked as the ADP2. If not you could always go the ebay route.

jonnybryce said:
Yep

http://www.slashgear.com/android-community-review-the-htc-magic-1543976/

at the 13:23 mark.

One thing I don't enjoy is how the screen reorientates itself. The back light shuts off, the screen flips and the light turns back on. Earlier videos showed it being a more bouncy effect which I prefer. Either way, after seeing the Pre's reorientation in under a second, seeing the Magic do it is kinda awkward.

I thought that you could turn that on by going into settings and turning on Rotation Animation or something like that.

Andrex said:
It's possible, this phone could be released unlocked as the ADP2. If not you could always go the ebay route.

I thought that you could turn that on by going into settings and turning on Rotation Animation or something like that.

Oh yeah? I've never seen anything about that in videos or when I read about the Magic. That would be cool though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
jonnybryce said:
Oh yeah? I've never seen anything about that in videos or when I read about the Magic. That would be cool though.

Yeah I mean it's in this video (right, that's what you're talking about?)

Krelian

Andrex said:
I can't find that option. You can turn off automatic display orientation altogether, though.

clav

Andrex said:
HTC is the name of the manufacturer, stands for High Tech Corperation I think. Not exactly inspired, but they only recently came out into the spotlight with their designs (before I think they'd make them direct for carriers with none of their logos, etc.)
High Tech Computer

AmishNazi

Banned
Does anyone know if that Samsung i7500 is just the Omni running Android? Contract is about time for "New every two" at Verizon next month and was already considering the Omni anyway.

I'm hoping that Rogers in Canada is getting this and not the G1 -- like they're advertising on their pages. The G1 just doesn't appeal to me at all, whereas this one would probably be a definite sale for me.

I'm currently in the market for a smartphone, looking at a BB Pearl or Curve but might hold off if Rogers is going to get this puppy.

Midas

JasonMCG said:
Nice phone, but I'm waiting it out for the Samsung i7500 - that thing is a sexy beast.

Do we know when it's going to be released? Q2? Q3? I REALLY need a new phone now but at the same time I don't want to make any premature decisions.

El Papa

Someone(s) got a hold of the HTC Hero ROM, which is, presumably, a highly customized Android 1.5 build by HTC, and is porting it to the G1.

I've tried the Magic ROM on my G1 and was really digging it. HTC is doing some awesome stuff with the UI.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
El Papa said:
Someone(s) got a hold of the HTC Hero ROM, which is, presumably, a highly customized Android 1.5 build by HTC, and is porting it to the G1.

I've tried the Magic ROM on my G1 and was really digging it. HTC is doing some awesome stuff with the UI.

im jealous.... everything seems to run so smoothly.

how did you get ahold of it?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Midas said:
Do we know when it's going to be released? Q2? Q3? I REALLY need a new phone now but at the same time I don't want to make any premature decisions.

Q3 at the earliest, especially if the Samsung Houdini in the "leaked" T-Mobile roadmap is true (which I have severe reservations about anyways).

AmishNazi said:
Does anyone know if that Samsung i7500 is just the Omni running Android? Contract is about time for "New every two" at Verizon next month and was already considering the Omni anyway.

The i7500 ("Capella") is a completely new model.

Winterblink said:
I'm hoping that Rogers in Canada is getting this and not the G1 -- like they're advertising on their pages. The G1 just doesn't appeal to me at all, whereas this one would probably be a definite sale for me.

I'm currently in the market for a smartphone, looking at a BB Pearl or Curve but might hold off if Rogers is going to get this puppy.

Rogers is releasing both the G1/Dream and Magic on June 2nd.

El Papa

ZROCOOL said:
im jealous.... everything seems to run so smoothly.

how did you get ahold of it?
Here's the thread for the Magic G1 port: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=498026

The Hero port hasn't been released yet, but probably will be soon by the same guy.

Remember, you have to have a rooted phone to flash a modified ROM.

To be clear, I had flashed the Magic ROM. I'm using a modified ADP 1.5 right now, and I'm missing some of the HTC touches like the dailer, white on black texting, HTC icons. I'm going to flash this Hero ROM as soon as it's released.

Doc Evils

I'm currently on Vodafone and I was considering switching to o2 for an iPhone. But now that I've seen this I might just upgrade my phone to the Magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom