• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man (Game Boy VC) |OT| REPLOID RESEARCH LAVATORY (Xtreme 2 out now)

Refyref

iJscks0.jpg

And we have reached the end of Mega May.

Mega Man Xtreme 2

A phenomenon called the "Erasure" begins to spread around, in which the software inside Reploids' memory is erased, leaving them motionless. One day, in Laguz Island's Reploid Research Lavatory, all signs of Reploids functioning has vanished, and it is found out that all reploids there have been erased. X and Zero team up in order to find the cause of the Erasure and put an end to it!

Previously on the Virtual Console:
Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge: Dr. Wily has fixed some of his old robots to try and take over the world again! This time, he also made a "Mega Man Killer" named Enker. Mega Man must stop Dr. Wily, again! This game has a mix of robot masters from Mega Man 1 and 2.

Mega Man II: Dr. Wily has a time machine! So he goes forward some few thousand of years in the future to take over the world. This time overshot brought back from the dead some of the Robot Masters from Mega Man 2 and 3. But as a side-effect of the time paradoxes time travel always cause, the music has been replaced with weird garbled noises. There's also Quint, some robot with sunglasses on a pogo stick, since Wily obviously ran out of funds with the time machine. He couldn't even build his own Mega Man Killer this time around, he just stole a robot from the future. Mega Man must stop Dr Wily. and the time paradoxes, so your ears can live in peace once again.

Mega Man III: Dr. Wily has a new mining rig. And since he couldn't find any AMD cards, he made it with drills. Now he's trying to reach the core of the Earth in order to power up his latest invention. Mega Man has to stop him, while keeping an eye out for the second Mega Man Killer, Punk.

Mega Man IV: The World Robot Expo is the perfect place for Dr. Wily to demonstrate his mind control machine, by taking control of all robots in the show to fight Mega Man. Mega Man must defeat said robots, along with the final Mega Man Killer, Ballade, in order to stop Dr. Wily!
This time, Dr. Light has made a machine that can create items for Mega Man. Collect P-Chips that are placed around the level or are dropped by defeated enemies in order to create items that will help you along the way.

Mega Man V: While on a stroll with Roll, an alien robot falls in front of Rock and beats him instantly. So Dr. Light makes him the MEGA ARM, which is kinda like the Hard Knuckle, so he can defeat the aliens. Now Mega Man must go and stop these all new foes! Returning from IV is the store, which lets you create items which can help you using P-Chips.

Mega Man Xtreme: Sigma has hacked the Mother Computer, which is causing the Mavericks to increase in power! X partners with Middy, a hacker, to rid the cyberspace of Sigma's minions!
This game takes stages and bosses from Mega Man X 1 and 2, and adapts them to the Game Boy Color, along with some new bosses and stages of its own.

Nintendo's Mega May site.

Zalman

Mega Man IV and V are highly recommended. They are as good as the best NES games IMO.

Haven't played the Xtreme games, but I'm looking forward to trying them.

These games will release in order of where they placed in a poll on Capcom Unity.

"MMV 5/22"

Huh? Wasn't V in the lead by far? Did the results really change that much since I last checked the poll?

Berordn

MM V and Xtreme 2 are the best of this particular bunch. Most unique content of the handheld games (though Xtreme 2 still reuses bosses, it adds much more on top of that).

Boogiepop

Not sure when I'll get around to playing it, but downloaded Xtreme right away. That was the game that got me into Mega Man and a definite favorite of my younger self. But definitely happy to see these regardless and intend to purchase them all, including the apparently godawful II (it's a little scary seeing only that and Super Adventure Rockman get the "yeah, sorry about that one" from Inafune in the Complete Works, which even X7 didn't get.)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Had Xtreme as a kid, so it'll be interesting to go back to it after all these years. I just remember the dash being weird (I only knew that it was the Start button). Just glad after all these years & Mega Man Mania never being released, I can finally try the rest of the GB/C MM games, even if some of them haven't aged well.

& to copy info from the link for those who can't see it yet, next week is II & III, then 15th is IV, 22nd is V, & finally 29th is Xtreme 2.

daydream

Banned
Hope these come to EU asap. I've got a bone to pick with IV which destroyed me as a kid.

Can we agree that the GB versions are noticeably harder than the NES games? That's what I always thought, but maybe it's just a question of getting used to the warped proportions.

Sciz

I hate to be down on a Mega Man release in this day and age, but the only one of these that's good is MMV.

Upcoming games:
Mega Man II (GB)
Mega Man III (GB)
Mega Man IV (GB)
Mega Man V (GB)
Mega Man Xtreme 2 (GBC)
These games will release in order of where they placed in a poll on Capcom Unity.

Xtreme 2 last based on that poll? waaaaaat

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
No, only Xtreme gets released based on poll results, the rest are just in "order" when they came out. I recall Xtreme 2 was in the top 3 when they made a statement a week before the polls ended what the most voted games were at the moment.

Refyref

Pretty sure it's a thing on your end

Yea, I did a hard refresh and it showed up. Will update the OP in a bit.

I hate to be down on a Mega Man release in this day and age, but the only one of these that's good is MMV.

I disagree, MMIV is every bit as good if not better than V, and Xtreme 2 is also a very good game. III and Xtreme 1 are decent/nice. II is dreadful, however.

Going over the poll post again, it seems it was only to decide the first one to release.

Beth Cyra

So happy that Xtreme 1 was voted as number 1. Still need to pick up X2 as well. I think I will grab both on the same day so I can have X everywhere.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Remember that cancelled Mega Man Anniversary Collection for GBA, which was supposed to collect the Game Boy games? Looks like we're finally getting it... in a matter of speaking.

Velcro Fly

They were even saying on twitter that it was MMV today.

Damn :(

edit: They even had a poll to decide which to release first and MMV was winning last I heard. This is interesting...

Mega Man Xtreme you say? I loved this version on my GBC... loved the hell out of it even with it's janky SNES downgraded stages.

Zero in Xtreme 2 was nearly unplayable however...

Remember that cancelled Mega Man Anniversary Collection for GBA, which was supposed to collect the Game Boy games? Looks like we're finally getting it... in a matter of speaking.

Bad part was that collection was more or less completed...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
edit: They even had a poll to decide which to release first and MMV was winning last I heard. This is interesting...
V, Xtreme, & Xtreme 2 were in the top 3 when they stated poll results a week before it ended, but we didn't know the exact order, so we don't know if V was actually in 1st place or not, could have been 2nd or 3rd.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
No, other than Xtreme, they are going to be released in order.
I mean in terms of quality. :p

I actually like them all, though, even 2.

I just replayed every one of these games (from cart) last month and had a blast.

Don't... don't bring that up.

I still somewhere there's a Gamestop out there that has my reservation held for that.

Velcro Fly

This is really good because carts of some of those later GB Mega Man games are absurdly expensive.

I remember when I was a kid my sister's boyfriend brought a few of the earlier ones over for me to play for a weekend since he knew I loved Mega Man. It might have been II and III. A lot of fun but really hard and sometimes unfair in parts at least for me as a kid.

How so? Can't say I remember anything bad about Zero in Xtreme 2

Range was far more limited than Zero in any other games coupled with the terrible hit detection (both with your weapon and enemy attacks on you).

As someone who religiously plays as Zero in every X game that allows it, it was near impossible for me to adjust. X in both games just feels way better.

RM8

3DS is suddenly the best system to play classic Mega Man with all the NES and GB games, plus Mega Man-ish stuff like Azure Striker and MN9.

leroidys

3DS is suddenly the best system to play classic Mega Man with all the NES and GB games, plus Mega Man-ish stuff like Azure Striker and MN9.

+ MM Zero compilation, ZX (good), ZXA (well, at least it has 8-bit mode).
It's a shame about the ergonomics of the system though. I would prefer to play most of these games on GBA or DSi.

For console releases, BC PS3 is probably the closest. You get MM collection, MM9, MM10, MM X collection, MM X7, MMX8, MMX Command Mission, MM Legends 1+2, and Tron Bonne.

Videoneon

Yeah I remember being really excited for "Mega Man Mania" because I failed to get physical copies of MMIV and MMV. And then nothing =(

And as was said I believe it was completed or close to doing so. I remember seeing a screenshot of the game once for promotional purposes. I think you were supposed to use a Mega Man sprite to choose which game to play, sort of similar to Anniversary Collection.

Xtreme is kinda hard to play when you're so used to Mega Man X.

I can't believe it won really, Xtreme 2 is so much better. Playing SNES X games is more fun control-wise but when Xtreme 2 came around it was distinguished enough from the SNES games as a gameplay experience that I enjoyed more as its own thing.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Bad part was that collection was more or less completed...

Yeah I remember being really excited for "Mega Man Mania" because I failed to get physical copies of MMIV and MMV. And then nothing =(

And as was said I believe it was completed or close to doing so. I remember seeing a screenshot of the game once for promotional purposes. I think you were supposed to use a Mega Man sprite to choose which game to play, sort of similar to Anniversary Collection.

Oh? I heard something about "lost source code" or whatnot being the reason for the long delay and eventual vaporware status... but that may have been the Capcom excuse. And I always raise an eyebrow to "lost source code" whenever you're talking about something that was probably being emulated.

I guess Capcom cancelling Mega Man games predates the current era :p

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Oh? I heard something about "lost source code" or whatnot being the reason for the long delay and eventual vaporware status... but that may have been the Capcom excuse. And I always raise an eyebrow to "lost source code" whenever you're talking about something that was probably being emulated.

It was supposed to be a GBA game, right? While the GBA did contain hardware capable of running original Gameboy titles I don't believe it could execute that code from within GBA software. They probably didn't have the resources available on that hardware to emulate the games and would had to do a proper port.

If it had been a DS game they could have easily emulated them but not on GBA.

Tizoc

They are officially announced for Europe, but this Mega May thing and the Capcom Unity poll were just for NA. That's what the Capcom community manager told me, at least.

Cool is there an ETA on their release? I think I'll get both Xtreme games and Rockman 5 GB since those are the only ones I liked.

Refyref

It was supposed to be a GBA game, right? While the GBA did contain hardware capable of running original Gameboy titles I don't believe it could execute that code from within GBA software. They probably didn't have the resources available on that hardware to emulate the games and would had to do a proper port.

If it had been a DS game they could have easily emulated them but not on GBA.

I believe it was supposed to be a complete remake anyway, so source code meant nothing. And, of course, there's the whole deal with the game being pretty much complete before it was cancelled...

Cool is there an ETA on their release? I think I'll get both Xtreme games and Rockman 5 GB since those are the only ones I liked.

No ETA yet.

Top Bottom