• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man (Game Boy VC) |OT| REPLOID RESEARCH LAVATORY (Xtreme 2 out now)

An hour or two more I think.

I'm playing III and just got past the second set of bosses. Good god the game is a million times harder than II. Still, as much as I like a game having challenge I'm not sure if I like this game's difficulty. It just seems pretty cheap at times and good god that was a massive spike overdose in Diveman's stage.

Syril

An hour or two more I think.

I'm playing III and just got past the second set of bosses. Good god the game is a million times harder than II. Still, as much as I like a game having challenge I'm not sure if I like this game's difficulty. It just seems pretty cheap at times and good god that was a massive spike overdose in Diveman's stage.

Yeah, IV got the balance a lot better in my opinion.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, III felt so much harder in comparison to II, which seemed like a breeze (didn't help Metal Blade was still OP). Need to finish up the final robot master with III, then start on IV before starting V since I want to go in order.

Edit: V is now up, $3.99, 39 blocks.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Ahh...too bad they're back to $3.99. But I can't really complain about that price, I expected them to sell all the games at that price at first.
Anyway, downloaded.

tumblr_n600hvygNg1qhhv13o1_400.jpg

Fuck that last level, and which game designer did Satan posess to make them think combining the Dustman level's press section with spikes instead of garbage was a good idea

Honestly, I'd rank II above this because while that may have been easy and sorta bland, this one felt cheap and unfun at times.

And speaking of that last level and spikes, who the fuck thought that removing ANY movement control from Rush Jet was a good idea?

Because of my order I only ever actually used him in the one section of the final level that requires it, and I was like "well ok time for Rush Jet...wait, Rush why aren't you moving up? Rush? RUSH? RUSH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MOVE UP YOU'RE GONNA HIT THE SPI-*dies*"

Fuck some design decisions in this game

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
If I had to choose between V and Xtreme 2, which would be the better option?

Outside the obvious answer of "both", I'd say V is the better option because it's 100% new content, and while Xtreme 2 might be very awesome and with two playable characters, 80% of the game is still just a mix of X2 and X3.

Still, seriously get both if possible.

Boogiepop

And V beaten. The bosses went down a tad too easy, but other than that it was pretty great. The Mega Hand was actually kind of neat too, and a better way of differentiating things than the kickback in IV.

Claneko

I've always enjoyed the flair of the GB Mega Man games minus MM II. Seems like I have waited so long to have these again...heck, I remember when I bought my 3DS a long time ago, I downloaded Dr Wily's Revenge and thought to myself "Oh man, if this is up now, then the others are sure to follow..!!"

Ha...well better late than never I guess?

At any rate, I'm buying each one as they come out. My opinions of them haven't changed since my first go around back on the old B&W brick:

MMI: Good, short, feels like a semi-rough first effort much like the original MM1 on the NES did. (MM1 on the NES is my favorite MM game btw)
MMII: Don't like it, it's very easy and while it's longer than the previous game, I can actually blow through it so much faster. I hate the music too. I bought it on the eShop to support Mega Man and the decision to put these games up.
MMIII: My favorite. I played this a million times back in the day.
MMIV: This is the game that, to me, felt like the Game Boy series was developing a bit of it's own identity and style in a sense versus the NES games.
MMV: Full throttle here. I consider this a jewel in the crown of not only the Game Boy, but for the Mega Man series as a whole.

By the way, anybody ever notice how Mega Man VII on the SNES seems to have a similar screen ratio to the Game Boy games? First time I played that game it was literally the first thought I had. "Wow, Mega Man is really big, the bullets move kind of slow, and the pace feels like Game Boy."

And now...Square, please release your Game Boy games on the 3DS. I need me some fine FFA and FFL2 lovin'. Don't worry, I'll buy them all to show my gratitude.

steveovig

How's the difficulty for V? I hated the difficulty and cheapness of Wily's Revenge and I'm hoping V is a little easier and less cheap. I'll probably buy it anyways but still.

.la1n

How's the difficulty for V? I hated the difficulty and cheapness of Wily's Revenge and I'm hoping V is a little easier and less cheap. I'll probably buy it anyways but still.

It's not cheap, pretty average difficulty. Shouldn't take you too much effort to finish it off. Obviously knowing boss weaknesses ahead of time will alter how long It will take as with any mega man.

NathanS

By the way, anybody ever notice how Mega Man VII on the SNES seems to have a similar screen ratio to the Game Boy games? First time I played that game it was literally the first thought I had. "Wow, Mega Man is really big, the bullets move kind of slow, and the pace feels like Game Boy."

7 took a lot of notes from the GB games in general and IV in particular. The two sets of 4 Robot Masters, Bass is a lot like the Mega Man killers, especially Balled. It brought over the shop, cut scenes and the fact that like IV it had weapons interacting with the environment outside of the designated "this one destroys barriers."

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
And speaking of that last level and spikes, who the fuck thought that removing ANY movement control from Rush Jet was a good idea?

Because of my order I only ever actually used him in the one section of the final level that requires it, and I was like "well ok time for Rush Jet...wait, Rush why aren't you moving up? Rush? RUSH? RUSH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MOVE UP YOU'RE GONNA HIT THE SPI-*dies*"

Fuck some design decisions in this game
Oh god, I felt the same way using that for the first time as well.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Less than 30 minutes until Xtreme 2 is out. Need to finish up V as I only have about 2 robot masters left.

Edit: It's now up, $4.99, 49 blocks.

ohlawd

ZERO TIME, HECK YEAH.

Isn't there an optimal build for each character? Like X beats some of Zero's bosses and vice versa?

Refyref

Updated the OP again, one last time.

I'm still way behind on beating this games, though, so they'll satisfy me in terms of Mega Man games for quite a while.

ohlawd

extreme mode done. saber +2 and ultimate shot aren't unlocking though.

I love the boss attack in this game. 4 sets of bosses whew

Boogiepop

And I beat Xtreme 2. Kind of lame that they make you go through both characters separate and then Xtreme mode to get all the content/beat the game fully. Also, really lame that you don't unlock stuff for both characters when you beat a boss. But still an interesting game.

And with that I've finished Mega May. It was definitely an interesting ride, and I'm glad that all the games are finally out there now. Was definitely a looooong time coming.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Anyone have a recommendation if you had to choose ONE of the games from Mega May, which would it be? I'm leaning towards Xtreme II, but Xtreme 1, IV, and V are all on my wish list. I have $5 left in my account, looking to spend it on one of these.

I've only purchased the first game, when it was on sale for $.99 - that was awesome!

Videoneon

Anyone have a recommendation if you had to choose ONE of the games from Mega May, which would it be? I'm leaning towards Xtreme II, but Xtreme 1, IV, and V are all on my wish list. I have $5 left in my account, looking to spend it on one of these.

I've only purchased the first game, when it was on sale for $.99 - that was awesome!

Xtreme 2 or Mega Man V are the best IMO. Xtreme 1 is super forgettable. Xtreme 2 is fairly easy but enjoyable and filled with a good amount of content (Unlockable timed Boss Rush!) but Mega Man V is a novel experience.

latest

These guys are so frustrating. There are ones that look like that in Mega Man IV and you have to shoot as fast as you possibly can to knock them down to where you can hit 'em. And they shoot missiles at you.

Hope these come to EU asap. I've got a bone to pick with IV which destroyed me as a kid.

Can we agree that the GB versions are noticeably harder than the NES games? That's what I always thought, but maybe it's just a question of getting used to the warped proportions.

Yeah, I would say the GB games are harder overall. Except for MM II.

Refyref

Yeah, I would say the GB games are harder overall. Except for MM II.

I wouldn't co-sign that. Most areas that are recreated in the GB games are easier. Most of the harder parts in the GB games are on the earlier games in sections where the level design isn't that great. Mostly in the earlier games.

I wouldn't co-sign that. Most areas that are recreated in the GB games are easier. Most of the harder parts in the GB games are on the earlier games in sections where the level design isn't that great. Mostly in the earlier games.

That's OK. I was just agreeing with daydream's old post. I do think the GB games have some tricky parts though. I thought V was pretty difficult in some parts. I'm replaying IV now and it's a little easier than I remembered, still a great game.

I wish Mega Man were a little more popular on GAF. I feel like I might want to sign up with a fansite forum to talk about Mega Man. Also, Mega May is cool because people do play throughs and stuff like earlier this year I watched Yacht Club Games play through the classic series.

I got Mega Man III around Christmas after reading positive impressions on GAF and watching a Let's Play of the game. It was pretty fun. There are a few very precise jumps in that game. And I don't think there are boss rematches in it, which is strange.

So I'm wondering if the first GB Mega Man game is worth getting: Dr. Wily's Revenge, I think it is?

Also, how are the two MM Xtreme games? These are the only ones I don't have. I'm worried about those X bosses though. They all seemed very tough.

Every single MM game on the 3DS VC is worth owning...except Megaman II Gameboy. Which is terrible.

I actually own Megaman II in an actual cartridge and it was my first Mega man game ever. I like it, so I don't think it's actually terrible.

And you mean even the Xtreme games? (Someone once said to me MMX is not Mega Man.)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I actually own Megaman II in an actual cartridge and it was my first Mega man game ever. I like it, so I don't think it's actually terrible.

And you mean even the Xtreme games? (Someone once said to me MMX is not Mega Man.)

If you like MM2 GB you'll love 1, 3-5 as they are much better.

MMX and MMX2 are Megaman X games. Mashups of the SNES games. MMX2 is really impressive for a GBC game.

I replayed Megaman II on a GBA last night. I still like that game and will defend that it's fairly decent.

I also bought MMI: Dr. Wily's Revenge on 3DS, which is very hard but a lot of fun. There's some tricky platforming and a ton of repetitive enemies. I hope I can beat it; so far only beat Fire Man.

Also got Megaman Xtreme 1, which is currently on sale (at least in NA), but I haven't played it yet.

I bought Mega Man Xtreme on sale a few months ago and played it once or twice briefly, but I couldn't really beat any bosses. There were a few topics about Mega Man games and I thought, I might as well give this one a try again. Somebody had told me that you can find upgrades to your health and I played some more and found two, plus some sub-tanks and gear upgrades. It has been a good introduction to the X series and I'm almost done beating the "Normal" mode which just has you fighting four bosses at first.

Is grinding for sub-tanks a thing in the MMX series? Because unlike e-tanks you have to fill them up yourself with health drops. It seems like it will be a hassle if you have 4 tanks.

Also, the Storm Eagle is probably the toughest of the first four bosses, and he's the only one whose weakness comes from one of the second four bosses. That's weird. Although he wasn't so bad once I realized you just have to use the X-buster.

Refyref

Is grinding for sub-tanks a thing in the MMX series? Because unlike e-tanks you have to fill them up yourself with health drops. It seems like it will be a hassle if you have 4 tanks.

Kinda. Obviously, people who played the games a lot and are good at them don't need to do it, but it's definitely an option that helps.

Kinda. Obviously, people who played the games a lot and are good at them don't need to do it, but it's definitely an option that helps.

I guess it's kind of like e-tanks. You don't have to pick them up. I always do try to max items like this just in case. Looking at www.mmhp.net it seems like Mega Man Xtreme 2 only has 2 sub-tanks.

Anyway I'm surprised how much I enjoyed this. If I like MMX2 as much... after that, maybe I'll have to try and get a classic controller for my Wii and get MMX1 and 2 for SNES. If those were announced for New 3DS VC, I would totally consider upgrading to a New 3DS.

Refyref

I guess it's kind of like e-tanks. You don't have to pick them up. I always do try to max items like this just in case. Looking at www.mmhp.net it seems like Mega Man Xtreme 2 only has 2 sub-tanks.

Anyway I'm surprised how much I enjoyed this. If I like MMX2 as much... after that, maybe I'll have to try and get a classic controller for my Wii and get MMX1 and 2 for SNES. If those were announced for New 3DS VC, I would totally consider upgrading to a New 3DS.

They were announced for New 3DS VC in Japan, so they likely will release elsewhere as well.

They were announced for New 3DS VC in Japan, so they likely will release elsewhere as well.

That would be very cool. And yeah, MM7 too. I've only played 7 and X1 briefly through an emulator...I prefer playing games on VC though.

Anyway, I'm up to the final stages of Xtreme and I have 4 sub tanks but only 1 and a half are full. I found a good place to gather health in the first 4 stages, but now I'm kind of having trouble finding one. I wish you got full sub-tanks on a game over.

Haha, the "Mega May" link in the OP went to the games that were released in 2015. Hopefully they do something again this year...coming up soon!

I want to replay Mega Man Xtreme on extreme mode which has all 8 bosses, I can't really remember where the upgrades are, the weaknesses, or which ones I've beaten so far, but I think I'll try to figure it out myself so it lasts longer. Been about 2 weeks since I played it.

Refyref

Haha, the "Mega May" link in the OP went to the games that were released in 2015. Hopefully they do something again this year...coming up soon!

I want to replay Mega Man Xtreme on extreme mode which has all 8 bosses, I can't really remember where the upgrades are, the weaknesses, or which ones I've beaten so far, but I think I'll try to figure it out myself so it lasts longer. Been about 2 weeks since I played it.

I hope that this year they release the SNES Mega Man games on N3DS. They were already confirmed for Japan, after all.

I hope that this year they release the SNES Mega Man games on N3DS. They were already confirmed for Japan, after all.

That's what I was thinking too. I don't have a N3DS yet, but it would be another reason to get one!

It would also be nice if they announced an entirely new game.

Top Bottom