• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man (Game Boy VC) |OT| REPLOID RESEARCH LAVATORY (Xtreme 2 out now)

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
People dissing Maverick Hunter X? At least it got the designs right instead of making everyone Bonk like in Powered Up.
I'd still buy a Powered Up 2 if they made it...

ohlawd

Dashing has always been doubletap.

What sort of trickery you talking about?
yeh I know breh.

I'm old now. Can't remember what I did as a kid.

See, I can't remember if I did it like this or that. Lay off me! I got this vague recollection that as a kid, I thought double tapping the directional pad was a pain in the keister.

but srsly down-A is just easier for me. Dashes in the direction X is facing so yeah, easier.

Boogiepop

Phew. Just beat Xtreme up through the end of hard mode. It's definitely been a while. God I forgot how much wall clinging+charge shot can hurt your hand. Also, super lame that the charge shot sound effect messes up the BGMs.

Also, as a kid I was easily fooled, so the fact that hard mode "doubled" the game length blew my mind when I finally had enough skill to beat the game. Of course they just split the content of a "normal" Mega Man, but w/e. I actually apparently never got all the upgrades before either, so I made sure to do that this time. It would seem I wasn't that smart of a kid, because I never realized you need to ride that platform through the area blatantly designed as a challenge to navigate it through in order to get to the Hadouken/Shoryuken area. That ladder taunted me so when I was a child. As much as the game is pretty neat, the stages definitely took a hit in complexity it would seem (I haven't played X and X2 in a while, but I'm pretty sure there was more to the level design than this). Also, geez the bosses take a ton of hits. I'm pretty sure the non-upgraded buster does like 2 pegs of damage for a charge shot. Also, what happened with the translation/plot? Why is Vile "Vava"? And old credits from Japanese games can definitely get silly. Also, I like Geemel's ninja kite, which I'm sure I didn't quite understand as a kid.

Oh, and poor Sigma. Both of his forms have trouble dealing with a strategy of clinging to an upper corner (though the second form can at least feebly attack you a little when you're up there).

So yeah, a nice trip down memory lane. Definitely not a mind blowing game, but it's the game that introduced me to Mega Man so I still have a soft spot for it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Reminder in about 3 hours, Mega Man II & III will be out today. I assume they'll be $3.99 each similar to Dr. Wily's Revenge.

Edit: Out now, both are $2.99 & are 36 blocks.

SkyOdin

Also, what happened with the translation/plot? Why is Vile "Vava"? And old credits from Japanese games can definitely get silly. Also, I like Geemel's ninja kite, which I'm sure I didn't quite understand as a kid.

VAVA is actually Vile's original Japanese name. He was also originally colored green in the Japanese version of Mega Man X. The name and color change were to reduce his blatant similarities with Boba Fett. Similarly, they removed the blatantly light-saber-inspired sound effects from Zero's sword in the US releases of the X series.

Vile actually kept his green color in the US for Mega Man X8, though. However, the US name change did have some repercussions down the road, when Capcom decided to name a later character "Vile" in Japan, who had to be renamed "Weil" in the US.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
For the rest of the month, it'll be one MM game. Guess they doubled up this week since there was 6 games & 5 Thursdays this month.

& yup, Metal Blade is just as OP as it was in NES MM2.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I like that screen:

zlCfzR51VdwanOjogw

Finished the first four stages. This is much easier than I remember.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Man, the robot masters take WAAAYYY more damage against their weakness than usual. Air Man went down in about 3 Leaf Shield attacks.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Man, XTreme has the weirdest structure I've ever seen in a Mega Man game. Why do I have to beat the game, final boss included, in order to unlock the next 4 stages? Why are 4 of the mavericks locked into "hard mode"? Seems like an odd design decision to me.

onionfrog

Only $2.99? That's great!
Maybe Nintendo realized that most people don't want to pay $4 for old GB games
Gonna get both when I get home from work tonight.

I can't wait to play Megaman II. Despite being really easy, it was one of my favorites back in the day.

Jucksalbe

Banned
zlCfzR51poI9uJeApr

Finished Mega Man II. It really was much, much easier than I remembered it to be. But I still liked it. More than MM Xtreme at least.

Man, XTreme has the weirdest structure I've ever seen in a Mega Man game. Why do I have to beat the game, final boss included, in order to unlock the next 4 stages? Why are 4 of the mavericks locked into "hard mode"? Seems like an odd design decision to me.

Well at least the second half of the bosses also get their own stage, unlike in other GB MM games :|

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I THINK Extreme Mode lets you choose between all 8 at once, but all the upgrades/items you've collected are lost, plus no dialogue.

Videoneon

This is why the game is not nearly as favorable compared to Xtreme2 in my opinion. It's different with Xtreme 2 because the "other" mode features a different character and a different ending segment. Xtreme's Hard Mode just has you fight against Geemel and Armored Armadillo, Morph Moth, Magna Centipede, and Wheel Gator, plus you can get the Zero Moves but they're unnecessary. As you can expect the story explaining this makes you feel even less enthusiastic: X is confused.

Xtreme2's autosave thing is a lot less intrusive too. The first game pauses the screen for about a second but Xtreme2 takes a split second. It readjusts your position, but that's not too bad.

Even better, Xtreme 2 features the Reploid Research Lavatory.

Man, the robot masters take WAAAYYY more damage against their weakness than usual. Air Man went down in about 3 Leaf Shield attacks.

They have fixed damage according to weapons. But yes, what you're saying is kinda true. For example, Metal Man is weak to the Crash Bomb, and it does a lot of damage against him though you can't finish him off with a full WE gauge of the bombs.

Mega Man 3 GB was my first Mega Man game. Could never beat it as a kid, always died in Dust Man's stage.

Definitely getting that.

Boogiepop

Well, just beat MMII. It's definitely not a good game, that's for sure, but it's also not the worst thing ever like I heard. It's mostly just... bland. I guess they at least squeezed in 8 stages for the robot masters this time, unlike the first GB game. The music can definitely get... screechy. And a lot of it's samey. A few tracks weren't too terrible though. It's definitely way too easy as well, for sure. Like, I was beating stages+robot masters on one life! Oh, and the pop-in on the Air Man stage is just awful. And the final bosses were... something. Dr. Wily must've been pretty tiny in this game considering the size of his machines. And Quint is just a dude... on a pogo stick... with one of the lamest, easiest patterns in a Mega Man game.

It's certainly not good, and I'd never recommend it to anyone, but it's not X7 level at least.

TreIII

Well, just beat MMII. It's definitely not a good game, that's for sure, but it's also not the worst thing ever like I heard. It's mostly just... bland. I guess they at least squeezed in 8 stages for the robot masters this time, unlike the first GB game. The music can definitely get... screechy. And a lot of it's samey. A few tracks weren't too terrible though. It's definitely way too easy as well, for sure. Like, I was beating stages+robot masters on one life! Oh, and the pop-in on the Air Man stage is just awful. And the final bosses were... something. Dr. Wily must've been pretty tiny in this game considering the size of his machines. And Quint is just a dude... on a pogo stick... with one of the lamest, easiest patterns in a Mega Man game.

It's certainly not good, and I'd never recommend it to anyone, but it's not X7 level at least.

MMII was basically the victim of a very rushed dev cycle, with an outsourced dev who wasn't that familiar with the series (Biox).

It's just such a shame that for this to have been a game where it featured a corrupted "Megaman from the Future" as the star attraction, Quint didn't at all live up to what he could've been.

LostAnkh

Just beat Mega Man Extreme, and boy, was it stupid easy.

The easiness seemed to be a difficulty curve with the Gameboy's limitations on controls, but I'm surprised how animated some of the enemies and bosses felt in comparison to their original 16-bit counterparts. It was pretty cool to find out that Hard mode unlocked the other bosses for a challenge, so I'm going to have to give this game another shot to truly finish this.

Is Xtreme 2 going to be the same with the copy & paste bosses? I do remember being able to play Zero, but everything else is just a blur.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think Boogiepop summed it up the best. Having just beaten it, it's not BAD (nowhere near as I thought it'd be when I heard it was considered one of the worst), but it feels so bland in comparison to the other games. Music is...okay for the most part (though I did dig the final stage music). Some robot masters, as mentioned before, were WAY too easy, especially if you had the right weapon.

I was expecting something among the lines of X6, which I feel is easily the least enjoyable MM game I've played. This was just "eeh, that was quick & easy. I'll have to check out III later".

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Reminder that Mega Man IV is out today in a few more hours. Still need to complete the 2nd half of III. That game feels a lot harder after what felt like a breeze with II.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I take it you can't remap buttons?

You can't. Though MM Xtreme lets you remap buttons in-game (edit: you have the choice between two presets, the only difference being one lets you dash on Start while the other does nothing on Start, very useful....)

Boogiepop

Beat IV (and III last week, actually). Nice that they finally got the boss rematches in. Plus III and IV don't suck, which is great. IV's actually a pretty solid and enjoyable game.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Done with MM IV. This part

was just mean. You let your guard down just once and immediately have to pay with your life.

Did any of the other MM games have that recoil when you use a charged shot? I don't remember it, and it's kinda annoying in this one, especially since a lot of the platforms are pretty small.

Boogiepop

Done with MM IV. This part

was just mean. You let your guard down just once and immediately have to pay with your life.

Did any of the other MM games have that recoil when you use a charged shot? I don't remember it, and it's kinda annoying in this one, especially since a lot of the platforms are pretty small.

Yeah, it definitely caught me off guard. But I compensated. Still was weird and took me a little bit to realize what was going on.

Syril

Oh shit IV came out. It was the first Megaman I ever played. I still have the cartridge, but this version is worth it just for the save states. Fuck those passwords.

IV is the only one I think. I kinda like it because it gives the charge shot a tradeoff. Also in this game only if you lose and continue on the same stage 3 times in a row, Dr. Light upgrades the Mega Buster so that the shots travel way faster. It's supposed to be only until you turn off the Game Boy, but with the save states in this version, it's more of an easy mode.

notBald

zlCfzR51poI9uJeApr

Finished Mega Man II. It really was much, much easier than I remembered it to be. But I still liked it. More than MM Xtreme at least.

Mega Man 2 was outsourced:

"Mega Man II was outsourced by Capcom to a new company that, after this, it chose never to work with again, and its lack of understanding of the flow, pacing, and design of Mega Man games is brutally apparent in the final product."
-- nintendolife

It was way easier than the other Mega Man games and I finished it on my first try. Mega Man 1 & 3 took much more effort.

tumblr_n5nnh9y4EU1qhhv13o1_400.jpg

Bought II-IV last night, and finished II in like an hour. It was really easy, never lost all of my lives even once. Hell, the only time I lost multiple lives in a stage was when CrashMan was being an asshole.

I can see why it's considered the worst of the bunch. Like it's been said above, it was just bland. Also Quint was so much wasted potential.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Mega Man 2 was outsourced:

"Mega Man II was outsourced by Capcom to a new company that, after this, it chose never to work with again, and its lack of understanding of the flow, pacing, and design of Mega Man games is brutally apparent in the final product."
-- nintendolife

It was way easier than the other Mega Man games and I finished it on my first try. Mega Man 1 & 3 took much more effort.

They were all outsourced, it's just they stuck with the first one after II sucked.

rjc571

Banned
Mega Man V is the one that's actually good and not just a downgraded rehash of a console Mega Man game, right? I may buy that next week.

Top Bottom