• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man (Game Boy VC) |OT| REPLOID RESEARCH LAVATORY (Xtreme 2 out now)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I believe it was supposed to be a complete remake anyway, so source code meant nothing. And, of course, there's the whole deal with the game being pretty much complete before it was cancelled...

No ETA yet.
Was it ever leaked? I'd be curious to see how it turned out.

ohlawd

the best MM is out last. sad shit.

buying Xtreme 1 right now. Then I have to wait four more weeks aaaarrrggghhh

Jucksalbe

Banned
I think a decade of QTEs has made me weak. I was much better at Mega Man as a kid.

At this specific game? Because I find it pretty hard, even compared to the other games. Mainly because of the controls and enemies seem to hit a lot harder than usual.

JCX

At this specific game? Because I find it pretty hard, even compared to the other games. Mainly because of the controls and enemies seem to hit a lot harder than usual.

Not Xtreme specifically, but I've been playing MMX on Wii U and MM:Dr. Wily's Revenge on 3DS and I'm just awful.

I've also noticed that I'm worse at street fighter now too. Maybe I just am no longer good at Capcom games.

Downloaded Xtreme as soon as I woke up! So hyped for Mega May. All of these games except MM II and III are excellent, and III is still quite good. IV and V, meanwhile, are two of the best Mega Man games ever.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Now that I think about it, whatever happened to the fact that the Game Gear MM title got re-rated? Is that ever gonna get added to the VC?

Edit: After beating Chill Penguin & tried to get the Sub-Tank in Storm Eagle's stage, I fully remember now why I hated the dash so much. If you do Down+A, you can't jump mid-dash. You can only do that if you make Start the dash button (I think, but if someone wants to correct me on that, please do so), so as a kid, I'd have to do this weird claw posture with my hand to jump after a dash to cover more ground.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Edit: After beating Chill Penguin & tried to get the Sub-Tank in Storm Eagle's stage, I fully remember now why I hated the dash so much. If you do Down+A, you can't jump mid-dash. You can only do that if you make Start the dash button (I think, but if someone wants to correct me on that, please do so), so as a kid, I'd have to do this weird claw posture with my hand to jump after a dash to cover more ground.

You can just press twice in the direction you want to dash. Doesn't work as well as in MMX, but it's certainly better than using the Start button.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
You can just press twice in the direction you want to dash. Doesn't work as well as in MMX, but it's certainly better than using the Start button.
Oh wow, didn't know that. That helps SO much. Though I still have how I think pressing start = pausing the game. Least I can turn dash = Start off.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
I so wish they made a Megaman Xtreme 3...

paolo11

YES!!!!! I will buy these lovely GB games. My Megaman summer run will be glorious!!!

So how much each?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
4.99 each
Xtreme & Xtreme 2 are/should be $4.99, while Mega Man II through V should be $3.99 since the first MM GB title was that much.

& onto Core Stage 2! Game is shorter/easier than I remember. Though I don't think I ever made it to Hard Mode, so that'll be new to me.

Edit: YES got Shoryuken & Hadoken....though I wonder since I have auto-charge on, it won't let me do the hadoken.

ohlawd

Xtreme & Xtreme 2 are/should be $4.99, while Mega Man II through V should be $3.99 since the first MM GB title was that much.

& onto Core Stage 2! Game is shorter/easier than I remember. Though I don't think I ever made it to Hard Mode, so that'll be new to me.

Edit: YES got Shoryuken & Hadoken....though I wonder since I have auto-charge on, it won't let me do the hadoken.
oh just assumed the rest were gonna be the same.

dat xtreme premium tax.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
oh just assumed the rest were gonna be the same.

dat xtreme premium tax.
Usually GBC games are a dollar or two more than GB titles, based on what I've seen on the eShop.

& to do a Hadoken, it's DOWN+B, not Forward as it tells ya.

rjc571

Banned
You can already do that
on PSP

Mega Man X runs pretty well on SNES9x for PSP, but the transparencies and Mode 7 effects cause slowdown on a few of the stages. I want to a handheld version of MMX that plays absolutely perfect.

(Or are you referring to the subpar Maverick Hunter X?)

Mega Man X runs pretty well on SNES9x for PSP, but the transparencies and Mode 7 effects cause slowdown on a few of the stages. I want to a handheld version of MMX that plays absolutely perfect.

Subpar?! MHX was fantastic!

Oh well, different strokes I guess...

rjc571

Banned
Subpar?! MHX was fantastic!

Oh well, different strokes I guess...

The new graphics sucked.
The remixed soundtrack sucked.
The zoomed in viewing area sucked.
(Comparison:
vXCMrEZ.jpg

vs.
r40HFC0.jpg
)
The reshuffled item locations sucked.
The redesigned Wily stages sucked.
The added Vile mode sucked.

It was a completely unnecessary remake that was inferior in every way to the original.

Velcro Fly

Maverick Hunter wasn't that bad. I would have definitely supported the series if they made a second. Same with Powered Up.

Not sure whether or not to get this game. Wish I could see how it will look on my XL before I buy.

Stream of Xtreme going at http://www.twitch.tv/capcomunity

Don't you think that Nintendo is doing a Mega Man game with Capcom? All that partnership talk and Mega Man promotion recently makes me thing that we will see something at E3

The new graphics sucked.
The remixed soundtrack sucked.
The zoomed in viewing area sucked.
(Comparison:
vXCMrEZ.jpg

vs.
r40HFC0.jpg
)
The reshuffled item locations sucked.
The redesigned Wily stages sucked.
The added Vile mode sucked.

It was a completely unnecessary remake that was inferior in every way to the original.

Disagree on all counts. The visuals and soundtrack were excellent, and I liked the reshuffled Maverick stages, Sigma levels, and item locations. It certainly wasn't better than the original, but unnecessary? Hardly.

rjc571

Banned
Disagree on all counts. The visuals and soundtrack were excellent, and I liked the reshuffled Maverick stages, Sigma levels, and item locations. It certainly wasn't better than the original, but unnecessary? Hardly.

So you think the lower vertical screen resolution was a good thing? You enjoyed jumping up directly into enemies that you couldn't even see before you jumped because the screen was zoomed in so damn far?

LostAnkh

As excited as I was getting this, I am still annoyed that you can't remap controls. Setting the start button as a dash is so annoying, and I am not digging 'B' and 'A' for fire & jump.

EDIT: I get that you can double tap forward to dash, but who does that?

Jucksalbe

Banned
You can remap controls in-game. But of course this way you can only use buttons used for VC. Double tap to dash is pretty standard for the era.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So you think the lower vertical screen resolution was a good thing? You enjoyed jumping up directly into enemies that you couldn't even see before you jumped because the screen was zoomed in so damn far?
Didn't have any problems myself and I disagree with the rest of the critiques as well. The PSP game was absolutely fantastic.

I'm neutral on that, and to be honest I didn't even notice it as an issue. It certainly didn't bother me, and it didn't leave me with a lasting negative impression of the gameplay experience.

But the gameplay, shuffled stage layouts/upgrade locations, remixed music, redone graphics, voice acting (Ocean Group did a great job with X8 as well), and Day of Sigma all left with me a lasting, highly positive impression. I thought it was a fantastic remake, straight up. Better than the original? No, just different, and certainly not irrelevant.

I didn't really care for Vile Mode personally, but at least it wasn't Zero and it only added to the overall package and replay value. Having more content is never a bad thing.

Anyway, I would have bought the shit out of a MHX2, 3, 4, etc. had Capcom decided to move forward with remaking the whole series like they had originally planned.

Not sure why you're so incredulous at the idea of someone loving MHX/having a different opinion than you. You're going to encounter at least the latter a lot here on NeoGAF.

Ishida

Banned

Maverick Hunter X was one of the best remakes ever.

ohlawd

k I already solved it but

endgame stage.... 3?

there's this long gap with spikes and you have to charge the fire weapon to dash in the air to clear it. How do you get past this if you don't have the arm upgrade?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
k I already solved it but

endgame stage.... 3?

there's this long gap with spikes and you have to charge the fire weapon to dash in the air to clear it. How do you get past this if you don't have the arm upgrade?
I think I know what you're talking about. I think it's Core stage 2 &
you gotta dash then jump (either double tap right or the uncomfortable Start button).
It's right before that one boss where
you stand on 3 platforms & gotta destroy 4 cannons in order to reveal the pilot
, right?

ohlawd

I've been trying down-a to dash then jumping for a long jump. You can't long jump this way or am I just doing it wrong?

and yes that's the right place.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, you can't do a long jump if you're dashing using Down+A. Game just won't let you. Has to be double tap left/right or changing the control to use Start as dash.

Top Bottom