• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Hair |OT|

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Ah awesome. Any problems with hair loss or weakening when it comes to murrays? I try not to subject my hair to any torture.

I would stay away from Royal Crown and Vitalis personally.

I never experienced hair loss with murrays, even though it is very waxy. Royal is very weird though...I swear my hair started thinning out when I used it, which is never a good sign.

Pre

I've been trying to figure out what to do with my hair for years. It's thick and doesn't grow down so much as it grows out. Sometimes I use product, but once my hair gets long enough on the sides I can't figure out how to stick back behind my ears without it looking really bad.

And my hair is thick enough that I have to use a lot of product or otherwise my hair doesn't cooperate.

jXKY2TgGfo4Hq.png

Know your wax. Love your wax.

Holy hell I wish I could do that. I think I have enough hair once it grows long enough, but I have no grasp of how to style hair and have no clue how to make it do that.

Sporting a Sean connery look with a touch of Morrisey these days. Gotta love classic hair styles:

nYn3J.jpg

You can see it starting to thin at the front there. Not huuuuuge, but at least it's noticeable.

Don't know what to do with the haircut.

I wouldnt say its thinning out, its just a poor mans job of spreading/treating the hair product through your hair. :p

In my opinion you could use some volume foam to thinken it, and dont blow dry, that will ruin your hair unless its super thick. Or unless your hairstylist tells you otherwise.

Try contacting a dermatologist too if you feel its absolutely necessary.

You could add supplement to your meals with zink capsules and B vitamin food to strengthen it too. Just be prepared for that you might have to cut your nails twice as often :p

My hair is actually a lot shorter than I thought it would be, and I'm not really sure what I think of it.

xoEJJ.jpg

Really doesnt help much. A full face photo would be nice, so that we can see how it frames your face.

I would stay away from Royal Crown and Vitalis personally.

I never experienced hair loss with murrays, even though it is very waxy. Royal is very weird though...I swear my hair started thinning out when I used it, which is never a good sign.

Why not Crew pomade or Hanz De Fuko? Those aren't too harsh and wash out with water.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Why not Crew pomade or Hanz De Fuko? Those aren't too harsh and wash out with water.

Can't speak for Hanz, but American Crew pomade does not work very well for me if it is hold that I want.

I am holding out on a suavecito recommendation until I get a chance to try it again in a couple days.

KAOz

Short bus special
I wouldnt say its thinning out, its just a poor mans job of spreading/treating the hair product through your hair. :p

In my opinion you could use some volume foam to thinken it, and dont blow dry, that will ruin your hair unless its super thick. Or unless your hairstylist tells you otherwise.

Know what, THAT makes proper sense really. Like proper, proper sense. I find it so incredibly hard to get the top just right, since I always save it for last to get maximum control of it.
Tips on how to do it properly? :p

And yeah, I never blowdry. Always using a towel.

Try useing a spray instead. I sincerely dont advise guys to use wax or greasy cream. It often just lumps your hair, unless youve got a very strong mane.

I would suggest you dont use a towel. Coam your hair in the hairstyle you'd like to have (depends on how long your hair is though). Wait like 20 minutes or so rub some volume conditioner foam into it and let it dry out naturally.

Once the conditioner has been absorbed into your hair use a styling spray and spray away from a proper distance to keep it full and spray close to the roots of the haitcut's outline to make your hairstyle stick.

Hopefully that makes some sense.

Either way you ought to consult a hairstylist for better info.

KAOz

Short bus special
That's some good tips really. Though, I do prefer wax to some mousse or alike, but I will try it out anyway. Thanks alot, highluxury!

Anyone know what kind of product and styling the guy in the OP has? (The t-shirt guy model guy, not the kickass awesome moustasche badass who looks like 100 tons of Pirate Train.)
Been saving my hair out at the top for that kind of haircut, and will cut my sides soon. Would be good to know.

Rookje

Can't speak for Hanz, but American Crew pomade does not work very well for me if it is hold that I want.

I am holding out on a suavecito recommendation until I get a chance to try it again in a couple days.

The best hold I've seen is with Layrite.

You can also try this:

51aykp803uL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

You could add supplement to your meals with zink capsules and B vitamin food to strengthen it too. Just be prepared for that you might have to cut your nails twice as often :p
Zinc supplementation shouldn't be necessary for anyone unless you have some kind of rare zinc deficiency.

Zinc supplementation shouldn't be necessary for anyone unless you have some kind of rare zinc deficiency.

Thats true but it does nourish your hair making it more healthy. Having healthy strong hair is important if your want to have a broader selection of hairstyle choices and a more natural firm haircut.

Rehynn

I would suggest you dont use a towel. Coam your hair in the hairstyle you'd like to have (depends on how long your hair is though). Wait like 20 minutes or so rub some volume conditioner foam into it and let it dry out naturally.

Once the conditioner has been absorbed into your hair use a styling spray and spray away from a proper distance to keep it full and spray close to the roots of the haitcut's outline to make your hairstyle stick.

That does work for many people, but I need to blowdry my hair to get it straightened out a bit and give it some (actually pretty decent) hold. These days I use products (usually gum) mainly just to give it a nicer texture.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Try useing a spray instead. I sincerely dont advise guys to use wax or greasy cream. It often just lumps your hair, unless youve got a very strong mane.

Hopefully that makes some sense.

Either way you ought to consult a hairstylist for better info.
This is all well and good, but not everyone wants to spend over half an hour on their hair.

KAOz

Short bus special
Ha! Noticed some of my faults.

Sorry for the shitty pic.
SOISo.jpg

Basically, tried using way, waaaay less wax in general. And also, combed the front to the other side to what I usually had. Turns out I've gone in the different direction to what my hair does naturally.

But yeah, works better.

bob page

The best hold I've seen is with Layrite.

You can also try this:

51aykp803uL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

False. Zinc helps with both hair and skin, especially for those that are acne prone or have blemishes. But that's for another thread.

So with fine, straight hair, would you guys recommend blow drying, towel drying, or both/neither? Blow drying after a bit of towel drying seems to dry my hair to hell, making it tough for creams to mold properly.

So with fine, straight hair, would you guys recommend blow drying, towel drying, or both/neither? Blow drying after a bit of towel drying seems to dry my hair to hell, making it tough for creams to mold properly.

I wouldnt recomend either for fine hair. Since I have fine hair too myself and Ive tried both blowdrying and towels. My hair gets super dry and doesnt either help my texture or contrast.

I usually style it when its nearly dry but still moist to get a fuller effect. But thats just my experience.

My hair type is not that common. Im a dark blonde which usually has thicker hair, but yet mine is more fine. Probably due to lack of proper nutritions when growing up.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
This is my current hairstyle:

jTZZqTIMzX3Vt.jpg

But I'd love to do something like this:

jm1gjoSM6eJwG.jpg

jPSkkJAHbun6p.jpg

Extremely short on the sides, with a bunch of hair up top. What do you think, GAF? Can I pull it off? How does the back of a style like this look? And generally, how long is the hair on top? About eyebrow level, or shorter?

Lamel

Banned
Is it just me or does Murray's smell a little, odd. Does it smell strong when you put it in your hair?

Edit: Holy hell it has a strong hold.

MrOogieBoogie

David Beckhams look would look good on you. You got the hair for it. Now you need the hairdresser. Find a sophiscated hair salon and take the picture with you.

His stache and beard fits you too imo.

Okay, thanks.

Unfortunately, I'll never be able to grow a beard/stache like his. It's one of my biggest regrets. :(

Just keep shaving. You'll provoke your facial hair growth that way.

It kinda seems like youve been shaving your moustache through time and you got strong hair growth there.

EDIT: just dont overdo it or you'll end up with irritated red skin.

Minamu

It kinda seems like youve been shaving your moustache through time and you got strong hair growth there.

This sounds alarmingly like an urban legend.

MrOogieBoogie

I shave about once every two to three days for work. The thing about my facial hair is that it's not thick like Beckham's, and it's more splotchy. For instance, my mustache grows on the sides but not so much in the middle, and it doesn't connect to my chin/sideburns. Bah.

Minion101

Banned
Originally wanted to make it look like Tyler Durden. I then toned it down and made it just a shorter "messy spiky" hair cut that you see people in movies do. I feel this is more accepted then Tyler Durden's hair.

iF1D86jRkdc9c.jpg

Jzero

The only product that stays in my hair is also Got2b Glued. Every other product disappears after an hour. It doesn't make my hair hard though, to me it feels like regular gel. It sucks having thick hair.

bob page

Can anyone recommend some good male hairdressing emporiums in New York?

I go to Barber's Blueprint in LES. It's run by two Russian guys who are awesome. A regular men's cut is $24, which is much cheaper than anywhere else I've been for the quality.

I've also been to the New York Shaving Company, which was pretty meh and overpriced.

Graceland in Williamsburg is supposed to be great but I haven't been able to push myself $65+ for a cut:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/graceland-brooklyn

I go to Barber's Blueprint in LES. It's run by two Russian guys who are awesome. A regular men's cut is $24, which is much cheaper than anywhere else I've been for the quality.

I've also been to the New York Shaving Company, which was pretty meh and overpriced.

Graceland in Williamsburg is supposed to be great but I haven't been able to push myself $65+ for a cut:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/graceland-brooklyn

What about The Blind Barber?

Women I've talked to say they don't like men with long hair. I go for the simple 2 on the sides and back, with a bangs and top cut short. Go for that Matt damon/Jason Bourne style.

Top Bottom