• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Hair |OT|

SteveWD40

I vote 3 as well, seems similar to mine at the side, taken high as well rather than just blended.

And yeah, you do resemble Tom Hardy.

Number45

Question: I usually just have a 1 all over because it's easy, but it's a little short for me (and my wife hates it, but it doesn't take long to grow so I can live with that in short bursts). I've been thinking of trying to go for something like this:

Paul Walker in Fast Five

What would you ask for? I can't bring myself to take a picture...

Alucrid

Banned
Women I've talked to say they don't like men with long hair. I go for the simple 2 on the sides and back, with a bangs and top cut short. Go for that Matt damon/Jason Bourne style.
I find that they fall into two camps, those that love it and enjoy playing around with it or the ones who are mad cause my hair is nicer than theirs.

mooooose

I do a 1 on the sides now and longer on top. I have thick hair but my hairline receded and it's probably been a Norwood 1 for like 2 or 3 years (I'm 20). I was upset about it for a long time and shaved my head for like 2 years but now I'm handsome as fuck.

I do a 1 on the sides now and longer on top. I have thick hair but my hairline receded and it's probably been a Norwood 1 for like 2 or 3 years (I'm 20). I was upset about it for a long time and shaved my head for like 2 years but now I'm handsome as fuck.

What kind of person would be upset over a Norwood 1 that's like nothing.

dokish

Banned
iuYwTGjbBlsOS.gif

Source?

hiryu

I cut my hair myself weekly. Number 1 on the sides and number 2 on top. I take the 1 pretty far up. Low maintenance and it looks good. Only takes about 5 minutes if I make sure to do it once a week. Of course I'm old and starting to thin up top so I can't do much else.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
My hair is pretty stubborn (and there's a lot of it) so there isn't really much I can do with it. Lately I've just been letting it grow out and then using American Crew Forming Cream to just slick it back. I thought it was a boring look but it seems to be getting good results.

I would like to shake it up a little with some added flair, but I'm not really sure what to go with. I'm thinking of going with the Gosling, but I'm not sure how to ask a barber for it.

ryan-gosling-cover-nologo.jpg

Alucrid

Banned
My hair is pretty stubborn (and there's a lot of it) so there isn't really much I can do with it. Lately I've just been letting it grow out and then using American Crew Forming Cream to just slick it back. I thought it was a boring look but it seems to be getting good results.

I would like to shake it up a little with some added flair, but I'm not really sure what to go with. I'm thinking of going with the Gosling, but I'm not sure how to ask a barber for it.

http://www.gq.com/images/style/2011/01/ryan-gosling/ryan-gosling-cover-nologo.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Print out a collage of Gosling pictures and bring it with you.

I don't think its been mentioned in this thread, but my all time favorite hair product is Kevin Murphy Hair Resort.

21h4PKreTXL._SS500_.jpg

I have really fine, soft hair, so product usually just weighs it down, but Hair Resort is amazing. It gives my hair a ton of texture and volume, and I can get it to look really crazy if I want to and it looks natural, not like you've loaded your scalp with gel or wax.

Actually, all of the Kevin Murphy products I've used are great. Night Rider, Gritty Business and Sticky Business are amazing. They're expensive, but a little goes a long way.

Man I need to get some of that American pomade as the stuff I can get in the UK is pretty par.
Dont have a decent shot of my haircut but its 2 up the sides into an undercut style. Bit like Beckhams is the easiest way to describe it..

Anyone know what all the Crown stuff is about? one barber told me I had a "double crown" and basically just said "oh yeah?" and left it at that.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Anyone know what all the Crown stuff is about? one barber told me I had a "double crown" and basically just said "oh yeah?" and left it at that.

The crown is the top-back spot on your head where the hair essentially "spreads" out from. I have a double, as well.

Stet

Banned
Sometimes I feel my crown with my finger and think I'm going bald because there's a tiny spot where all the hair spreads from where it feels thinner. I'm neurotic about my hair.

I don't think its been mentioned in this thread, but my all time favorite hair product is Kevin Murphy Hair Resort.

21h4PKreTXL._SS500_.jpg

I have really fine, soft hair, so product usually just weighs it down, but Hair Resort is amazing. It gives my hair a ton of texture and volume, and I can get it to look really crazy if I want to and it looks natural, not like you've loaded your scalp with gel or wax.

Actually, all of the Kevin Murphy products I've used are great. Night Rider, Gritty Business and Sticky Business are amazing. They're expensive, but a little goes a long way.

This stuff is great. I think Hair Resort and Mousse are the only two products I like.

Rookje

Stumbled upon this site called Bangstyle. Anyone ever hear of it? Seems like a gallery of different hair stylists around the world. Most of the entries on this site are from the UK.

img_6256-400x560.jpg
img_6254-400x560.jpg
img_6253-400x560.jpg

He looks better than the guy above, but at the same time the mustache itself looks more ridiculous, which I think is my mental barrier with them. I can't take anyone with one seriously. It just seems like it should only be a photoshoot kind of 'stache, and not one anyone sports outside of them.

But, again, the hair looks great on each guy.

_Isaac

I remember alphaNoid posting this picture of his buddy.

I think it works since it's in a more free spirited fun environment.

Hey there hair GAF, I'm wondering if you have any advice for a guy that has early diffuse thinning of his hair? Once it gets to a point where I can't style it in a way that looks good, I'm just going to go the shaved head route, but in the mean time I think it's in a state that I can definitely still enjoy having it. At the rate it's dropping out, I'm thinking within 1-2 years I'll just shave it, so that'll put me right around the age of 26-27. I've had some greys since I was 16, but I couldn't really care less about that.

A few (too many) pictures of me, with explanations following:

The first 3 are how I tend to style my hair now (no product, just comb it down after towel drying and sweep it to the side in the front). It's like this now, and is in need of a trim.
Pics 4 & 5 are how I styled it up until about a month or two ago, basically, a relatively short cut with an extremely modest faux-hawk, using just a bit of paste. If you look carefully, you can see along my hairline how my hair has thinned enough that the top of my head is slightly visible when looking straight at me.
Pic 6 is a bonus; it's how I had my hair helmet just about 5 years ago as a senior in high school.
Around a year ago, I tried buzzing it down to a #2 on the sides and a #3 on top, which seemed okay, but made the diffuse thinning much more obvious and wasn't nearly as attractive as having a slightly longer look, in my opinion. Maybe I should have buzzed it even shorter?

Facial hair generally is more like in pic 5. I tend to keep it clean shaven or 1-3 days stubble. All the other pics it had been growing for about 1 week as I had just gotten a bit lazy over that period. Please forgive the semi-neck beard.

Any styling advice or products that might work best for me would be appreciated.

Zekes!

Anyone got any recs for product for curly hair? I was going to go down to my cousin's barber shop to get my sides cleaned up, so I was gonna ask him, but I figured I'd see if I could get some other recommendations to look in to as well.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Pretty much anytime someone asks for the best product for curly hair, I am gonna say a firm hold pomade.

I personally think clays and creams make it look too dry.

Pretty much anytime someone asks for the best product for curly hair, I am gonna say a firm hold pomade.

I personally think clays and creams make it look too dry.

How effective are firm hold pomades? I've tried pomade before for my curly/wavy hair and I found that it seems to induce more curls.

mooooose

How often do you guys get your hair cut? I'm doing long on top and really short on the sides but I get it faded and a little blended. It's already been a week and my hair is starting to look shittier.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
How often do you guys get your hair cut? I'm doing long on top and really short on the sides but I get it faded and a little blended. It's already been a week and my hair is starting to look shittier.

Every two weeks.

How effective are firm hold pomades? I've tried pomade before for my curly/wavy hair and I found that it seems to induce more curls.

Firm hold suavecito is pretty effective from what I can tell, since my friend has curly hair and uses it.

Mr. F

Banned
I should do this, but in reality it's "when I get sick of my hair".

Same boat, I just grow it out until it gets annoying (usually cut it once every three or four months). I don't think I could afford to cut it every two weeks, though I'm starting to like the idea of perpetually short hair more and more.

Number45

^^ this is why I often just go back to a #1 all over. You can pretty much maintain it yourself (the only thing that takes effort is keeping the edges tidy).

Top Bottom